New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Default Shadows Over Innsmouth (completed)

We begin the scene within the mostly ruined town of innsmouth during the 1910’s. Far away, the Great War is raging on, so the government has placed rations on all the resources though. But they never did give enough to feed the people of innsmouth, so starvation and poverty have taken hold. One citizen though prayed for relief and was answered back by a dark force by the name of Dagon. The mad god offered to massively increase the population of fish in the area as to provide Innsmouth with food, and the citizen accepted. But this agreement would come with a price, for that villager would never be the same. Every night the poor citizen is destined to turn into a disgusting half-fish humanoid with a thirst for human blood, driven by insanity and delirium and named a deep one. Sightings of these creatures have been all around the town, and the bodies are already beginning to stack up. A pall is hanging over innsmouth as the deep one’s terror spreads and Dagon invades the minds of the populace, searching to expand his army. Fellow citizens, move as one and arm up to exterminate this threat, before you are the one to be slaughtered!

Spoiler: Roles
    Show
    The citizens will win if they manage to kill all of the deep ones, but the deep ones will win if they manage to gain a higher population than the players. Please be aware that we will be starting out with only 2-3 deep ones; the reason for that shall be revealed later in the rules.

Citizen: you behave as normally and only make lynch votes, no night actions are available to you.

Hunter: There will only be one hunter in the group. You are on the side of the citizens and effectively count as one, but you are more powerful than the rest. For you have studied the grim art of combat and have the capability to kill a deep one. No one except for you will be aware that you are the hunter , although you may reveal that you are the hunter to the group if you wish. Whenever you do this I will confirm that you are the hunter to the rest of the group. Every night phase you may choose any one target, which may be yourself, that you believe will be attacked by a deep one. If that target is attacked by the deep ones, than there is a 50% chance that a single attacking deep one dies. This does not prevent the deep ones from killing their target though, it only makes them possibly pay for it afterwards.

Deep one: during the day you pretend to be a normal citizen, but by night you are working against the villagers on Dagon’s behalf. There are two possible ways to become a deep one; you are either chosen to be one before the game begins or you lynched an innocent citizen and were the one chosen to be afflicted with insanity because of it (see day phase for more information on this subject). If the hunter is turned into a deep one than their former role is revoked and replaced with the deep one role. Whenever you become a deep one you will be sent a PM telling you who all the other deep ones are. Every night each deep one will choose three targets they wish to be killed via a PM to me in a sort of secret vote where they will be unaware what the other deep ones are voting. Whoever receives the most votes in this manner will be effectively removed from the game. If there is a ever a tie the first person to reach that many votes shall be night killed.

Spoiler: Phases
    Show
    As usual, a turn will be separated into two phases.

The first is the day phase which happens from dawn until dusk in game time, but will actually last 48 hours in real life time. During this time, the players will all vote on who they wish to lynch. If you change your vote, edit your post and strike through your previous vote. Whoever has the most votes will be lynched. If there is a tie, the person who reached that number of votes first will be the one who is lynched. You can always decide to not vote to Lynch anyone. Be careful who you decide to lynch though, for Dagon is crawling within your minds seeking to drive you insane with the guilt of your deeds. If you accidentally lynch a fellow citizen who is not a deep one than one randomly decided citizen who voted for the incorrect victim will be turned into a deep one, beggining during the upcoming night phase (under the conditions that is possible). If a player fails to post for two day phases, than they shall be automatically killed.

The next phase shall be the night phase which lasts from dusk until dawn in game time, but 24 hours in real life time. During this time, the deep ones and hunter will declare their night actions via a PM to me. Once this phase has ended I will state the results of the night and the names of any players who have died, but I will not state what their roles where nor how they died. We will then revert back to the day phase and re-do this process until the game ends.

Spoiler: Recruitment
    Show
    I will be accepting any number of players between 6-12. We will officially begin the game either when a week have passed since anyone signed up under the conditions we have at least six people, or when 12 people have signed up we shall automatically begin.

Spoiler: Playtesting
    Show
    Because i was utilizing several experimental new game features, I play-tested them to make sure they were balanced. I conducted the game five different times with nine players in every test. Unfortunately, I do not have a table to work with so the following results were made in a theoretical test. I would randomly roll to determine who was lynched, who was night-killed and who the hunter would protect. Based on the results below, the game seems to be balanced. Here are the outcomes of all the different play test games.

game 1) lasted five rounds, ended in a tie (possible using this rule-set under very strange circumstances)
    game 2) lasted three rounds, deep ones won
    game 3) lasted four rounds, citizens won
    game 4) lasted four rounds, citizens won
    game 5) lasted three rounds, deep ones won

Spoiler: Current players
    Show

-basket of puppies
    -Rocks fall
    -Kish
    -Ramsus
    -Kgato
    -Ronnoc
    -super345
    -Xihirli
    -duck 999
    -logic

Last edited by Requilac; 2018-01-26 at 07:12 PM.
    -
    I have designed a Gothic Horror TTRPG built for actual play performances. If you want to play some sessions using it or talk theory, read more about it here!

My D&D 5e Homebrew Content

The Necronomicon. An >30 Page Cthulhu Mythos Supplement

Faerie Vampyre Monsters. Won 1st place in the GitP Monster Design Contest: Shapeshifters.

Check here for my extended homebrew signature!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: Shadows Over Innsmouth (revised)

Sure, I’ll join.

Extended Sig

Quote Originally Posted by Duck999 View Post
    Christmas starts when Halloween ends, Halloween starts after New Year. The only part of the year that isn't a holiday is between Christmas and December 31st.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by BasketOfPuppies View Post
    Sure, I’ll join.
    Do you have any questions about gameplay mechanics before we begin?
    -
    I have designed a Gothic Horror TTRPG built for actual play performances. If you want to play some sessions using it or talk theory, read more about it here!

Faerie Vampyre Monsters. Won 1st place in the GitP Monster Design Contest: Shapeshifters.

4. - Top - End - #4

Quote Originally Posted by Requilac View Post
    Do you have any questions about gameplay mechanics before we begin?
    None yet, I’ll think of it.

Extended Sig

Quote Originally Posted by Duck999 View Post
    Christmas starts when Halloween ends, Halloween starts after New Year. The only part of the year that isn't a holiday is between Christmas and December 31st.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Shadows Over Innsmouth (recruitment)

Count me in!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Colossus in the Playground

I'm interested in this.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

I'll play. I'll note that with a larger sized group of players these rules are almost guaranteed to result in deep one victory. I can understand why that won't always be the case with nine-ish people.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Ramsus View Post
    I'll play. I'll note that with a larger sized group of players these rules are almost guaranteed to result in deep one victory. I can understand why that won't always be the case with nine-ish people.
    Why would the deep ones always win in a group larger than 12 people? It is kind of irrelevant i suppose seeing as how this game is not getting any more than 12 people, but just out of curiosity, what causes you to believe that?
    -

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

There's basically more time and thus more chances for the deep ones to grow in number in a longer game. There's a chance each phase for them to gain a member. The way they gain members in the night gives them twice the advantage of simply eliminating a player from the opposing faction and does so in a way that denies town any useful information. The way they gain members from mislynches basically guarantees they get a few early on when there are more people to choose from early on and gives them increased chances later on as they control more and more votes and requires town always be paranoid about absolutely everyone no matter how much they have played as good members of town prior to the current day phase.
    Basically the deep ones have a growing numbers advantage and town has an information disadvantage, neither of which are minor in scale.

And to top it off...the Hunter's chances of guessing the correct target for the night reduce drastically the more players there are.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

This looks like it could be fun, I'm in!

Questions: The rules state that "You can always decide to not vote to Lynch anyone" and "If a player fails to vote for two day phases, than they shall be automatically killed." Can you vote to have no lynches? And would that actually count for a day vote? Or, must a vote always be to lynch someone? Also, do the Citizens have any information gathering powers, other than the hunter revealing themselves? (Pretty sure the answer on that last one is a "No", but I wanted to double check)

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by kgato503 View Post
    This looks like it could be fun, I'm in!

Questions: The rules state that "You can always decide to not vote to Lynch anyone" and "If a player fails to vote for two day phases, than they shall be automatically killed." Can you vote to have no lynches? And would that actually count for a day vote? Or, must a vote always be to lynch someone? Also, do the Citizens have any information gathering powers, other than the hunter revealing themselves? (Pretty sure the answer on that last one is a "No", but I wanted to double check)
    What I meant to say is that if you fail to post anything for two day phases than you will be lynched. That was meant to weed out inactive players, not kill off the neutral ones. You can decide to vote for no lynch an infinite amount of times without being killed, so long as you make a post declaring that. And the citizens do not have any information gathering powers really, no seer or anything like that. I decided against it for this game.

- - - Updated - - -

There's basically more time and thus more chances for the deep ones to grow in number in a longer game. There's a chance each phase for them to gain a member. The way they gain members in the night gives them twice the advantage of simply eliminating a player from the opposing faction and does so in a way that denies town any useful information. The way they gain members from mislynches basically guarantees they get a few early on when there are more people to choose from early on and gives them increased chances later on as they control more and more votes and requires town always be paranoid about absolutely everyone no matter how much they have played as good members of town prior to the current day phase.
    Basically the deep ones have a growing numbers advantage and town has an information disadvantage, neither of which are minor in scale.

And to top it off...the Hunter's chances of guessing the correct target for the night reduce drastically the more players there are.
    Oh yes that makes sense. Part of that was intentional though, the sense of paranoia among the villagers certainly was at the very least. I cannot really imagine this ever being applied to a larger group to be completely honest, but it is still good to know. Thank you.
    -

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

Ia Ia Cthulu Ftaghn!

er, I mean I'm in.
    I don't know everything merely everything of importance-Fidelias
    Avatar by the illustrious Lord Raziere

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Ronnoc View Post
    Ia Ia Cthulu Ftaghn!

er, I mean I'm in.
    Welcome! OGTHROD AI’F GEB’L-EE’H YOG-SOTHOTH ‘NGAH’NG AI’Y ZHRO!
    -

14. - Top - End - #14
    Pixie in the Playground

MonkGuy

This seems fun. I'll join.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

I am down to do some murdering.
    Unless I’m not supposed to.
    Spoiler: Check Out my Writing!
    Show

https://www.patreon.com/everskendra

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Xihirli View Post
    This is a game of WW, if you did not murder someone than it defies the spirit of the game. It does not really matter Whether this be through lynching or night kills, murder is murder after all.
    -

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xihirli View Post
    Where possible, please refrain from murdering other players and their characters in non-werewolf games.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Where possible, please refrain from murdering other players and their characters in non-werewolf games.
    Try to reframe from murdering the people playing those characters in real life too. Unless, of course, the rules of the game condone it. In this case they don't.

... Yet
    -

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

I'll play.

Just a warning, though, I'm a bit busier than usual, and I'm already not the most active player by a long shot. I'll give it a shot though.
    Avatar made by Bradakhan| Other avatars.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by TFT on quicktopic
    Oh no, Duck999 is a mason.

How can I possibly suspect you of being a wolf now? :(

:P
    Quote Originally Posted by Legato Endless View Post
    Duck: Mason. A really shifty mason, but a confirmed role nonetheless.

Slii: Slii is town. He looks better than Duck even with that mason claim.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

User Requilac casts Summon Logic.

It's Super Effective! IN
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by bosssmiley View Post
    You altruistic weirdo you!
    Discord: Spacecamp-Logic-Yako
    Former Avatar by Ceika, which I have long since lost a copy of.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Okay everybody, a week has passed since someone last signed up and it does not look like many others are going to join so that means the game will begin sometime tomorrow. We have got 10 people so I hope that is going to be enough to buffer against the people are unable to post. Within 36 hours from the time I post this this message I will send the exposition message and we will begin the game. I am going to send a PM to the deep ones and hunter announcing their position before then though, as soon as I finish typing up this message. Thank you all for taking part in this game, and may you be The most satisfied mob that ever lynched.
    -

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

The game has begun!

The Innsmouth town hall has descended into chaos. The hideous fish people called the deep ones have been seen all over town during the hours deep into the night. At first the citizens all tried to pass it off as paranoia caused by the stress of the strict rations. But now, three people have been found dead, all of them mauled and then dragged off into the water. The evidence is undeniable now, the deep ones are real and are hiding somewhere in the town of Innsmouth. A meeting of all the townspeople was scheduled to discuss how to deal with this matter, but things did not quite go as planned. Paranoia and fear has taken hold of the citizens and drove them mad. At first it started out with insults, but now people are blaming each-other for being the murderers themselves. Accusations are thrown all around the room as the citizens grow more volatile and aggressive. There are calls for lynchings as mob mentality reigns supreme. Fate has been sealed for them, for these crimes will be purged in blood!

This is the beggining of day phase 1. Make your lynch votes now!

Lynch votes
    Logic: //
    Ramsus: /
    Xihirli: /
    Kish: /
    Basket of puppies: //
    Ronnoc: /
    super345: /
    Last edited by Requilac; 2018-01-17 at 12:55 AM.
    -

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Shadows Over Innsmouth (currently running)

I'll vote for Logic. For absolutely no reason.

24. - Top - End - #24

I’ll vote for Ramsus for the same reason.
    Last edited by BasketOfPuppies; 2018-01-17 at 07:52 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Colossus in the Playground

Xihirli, randomly.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    Xihirli, randomly.
    Kish, out of spite!
    The best reason.
    Spoiler: Check Out my Writing!
    Show

https://www.patreon.com/everskendra

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Basket of Puppies is the only currently active player without a vote.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by bosssmiley View Post
    You altruistic weirdo you!
    Discord: Spacecamp-Logic-Yako
    Former Avatar by Ceika, which I have long since lost a copy of.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Orc in the Playground

Voting for BasketOfPuppies as BBcode errors are a clear sign of corruption by the great old ones.
    I don't know everything merely everything of importance-Fidelias
    Avatar by the illustrious Lord Raziere

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ronnoc. First reason that was neither random, nor a retaliatory vote.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't see the Logic in voting for active players because they don't have votes.
    Avatar made by Bradakhan| Other avatars.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by TFT on quicktopic
    Oh no, Duck999 is a mason.

How can I possibly suspect you of being a wolf now? :(

:P
    Quote Originally Posted by Legato Endless View Post
    Duck: Mason. A really shifty mason, but a confirmed role nonetheless.

Slii: Slii is town. He looks better than Duck even with that mason claim.