New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Zinc Saucier Optimisation Challenge 1

Welcome one and all to the first zinc saucier challenge, where playgrounders come to test their skill in the art of beautiful and bizarre (and bizarrely beautiful) builds.

The challenge? To come up with a build that has the same abilities and feel as the secret ingredient WITHOUT actually using it!

For this first challenge get ready break out your knives as its the Expanded psionics handbook's Soulknife.

Our challengers will have 2 weeks to build a complete build from lvs 1-20 using a 32 point buy and all official 3.5 material(excluding dragon magazine, but including any WOTC online enhancements) with the abilities and feel of a soulknife without actually using any levels in it.

Contestants will be judged and awarded a score out of 5 in each of 5 categories;
    • Innovation (Uniqueness in character concept, race, class, etc)
    • Power (How powerful and versatile it is compared to the base class)
    • Elegance (What can only be described as how well the build "flows", i.e not using lots of 1-2lv dips, sacrificing flavour for power or using flaws)
    • Fluff (How well the characters back-stories and classes mesh)
    • Ingredient (How well the build captures the abilities and feel of the base class)

Presentation would be best in the style of how the iron chef does their presentations.

Please do not post details of your build on the board before it is ready, so as not to spoil the surprise for others (and please dont use leadership, as we dont want to overfeed the judges)

Also it comes with double prize money.
    Sorry for my absence, but had a creative block for the past while.
    Spoiler
    Show
    There are countless ingredients that make up the human body and mind, like all the components that make up me as an individual with my own personality. Sure, I have a face and voice to distinguish myself from others, but my thoughts and memories are unique only to me, and I carry a sense of my own destiny.
    The Zinc Saucier optimisation challenge, now with double prize money! Eternal Tower Campaign setting (WIP)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Zinc Saucier Optimisation Challenge 1

Are we allowed to submit more than one? I have two ideas rolling around in my head.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

3. - Top - End - #3

Post Re: Zinc Saucier Optimisation Challenge 1

If anyone wants to help judge please either post it on the board or PM me, I could use some judges(as one is not enough)

EDIT: you can submit as many as you want
    Last edited by motoko's ghost; 2011-12-08 at 10:41 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Does it have to duplicate the fail of Soulknife? Because if not, I've got a couple of interesting ideas...
    Quote Originally Posted by The Underlord View Post
    All hail great Shneekeythulhu! Ia Ia Shneeky fthagn
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quite possibly, the best rebuttal I have ever witnessed.
    Joker Bard - the DM's solution to the Batman Wizard.
    Takahashi no Onisan - The scariest Samurai alive
    Incarnum and YOU: a reference guide
    Soulmelds, by class and slot: Another Incarnum reference
    Multiclassing for Newbies: A reference guide for the rest of us

My homebrew world in progress: Falcora

5. - Top - End - #5

You can duplicate fail if you want, but you dont have too.
    There already quite a few topics on building the worst characters ever
    Spoiler
    Show
    There are countless ingredients that make up the human body and mind, like all the components that make up me as an individual with my own personality. Sure, I have a face and voice to distinguish myself from others, but my thoughts and memories are unique only to me, and I carry a sense of my own destiny.
    The Zinc Saucier optimisation challenge, now with double prize money! Eternal Tower Campaign setting (WIP)

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Oh, this is tempting. If I can find the time (HA), I just may join.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

7. - Top - End - #7
    Colossus in the Playground

I've worked out the ideas behind two builds, and there's a third that I want to explore to see how it fits together. Who knew there were so many ways to pimp out a mind sword in 3.5?
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

8. - Top - End - #8

smile Re: Zinc Saucier Optimisation Challenge 1

That's why I picked soulknife for the first one, Psychic Swords EVERYWHERE!
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

This is an awesome idea. I'd love to judge.
    Iron Chef Award!

Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #10

Thanks, I needed some help judging

11. - Top - End - #11

Kobold

So, we post here when our build is done? Or we post after two weeks? I have one idea that is shaping up nicely.
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

I too would be willing to throw my hat in the ring for judging, at least for this first challenge, I wont have time in the next two weeks to make up a good submission, but after finals I'll be free to judge and it seems that the judging period will hit right after finals.

EDIT: Also, don't forget to put the date/time that the builds are due into the OP. That's rather important.
    Last edited by Weezer; 2011-12-09 at 03:26 PM.
    At the heart of all beauty lies something inhuman, and these hills, the softness of the sky, the outline of the trees at this very minute lose the illusory meaning with which we clothed them, henceforth more remote than a lost paradise.
    -Camus, An Absurd Reasoning

Fourth Doctor avatar courtesy of Szilard

13. - Top - End - #13

Question Re: Zinc Saucier Optimisation Challenge 1

Monday the 24th should do it for submission, actually its probably best if you submit it onto the boards, just put it in a spoiler tag so others wont see it.
    @weezer;thanks for judging

EDIT:actually post them on the boards after 2 weeks,sorry should have been clearer
    Last edited by motoko's ghost; 2011-12-09 at 06:53 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #14

I'm really interested in this competition, it seems like a really interesting design niche that I'm not unfamiliar with (randomly happened to have designed a build last week sometime that duplicates a Druid pretty well, Wild Shape, animal companion, divine casting, summon nature's ally, trackless step, all without any druid levels).

Need some more thought on the Soulknife though, not a class I've ever really grokked.
    "Hex grids are the way forward! And slighty to the side..." - Studoku

15. - Top - End - #15
    Bugbear in the Playground

Traditionally I believe all builds are PMed to the chairman, in this case motoko's ghost, to avoid any sort of personal bias based off of knowing who made the build. Also I will try to submit a build.
    Shapperdash, movie reviews amongst other things.
    Natural 1, a tale of critical failures
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Aquillion View Post
    If you're ever in a situation where you can't survive, go for the broke and fill all of creation with chickens. Just imagine the reaction of people halfway around the world when every square inch of space in their world is suddenly and completely full of chickens.
    Homebrew
    1st in Iron Chef XXXIV with a Warforged bard

16. - Top - End - #16

tongue Re: Zinc Saucier Optimisation Challenge 1

Ah, okay, that makes sense, although I dont really know anyone on this site very well, so I dont think I'd be very biased.

EDIT: If the builds are going to be PM'd to me anyway you can submit them at anytime, you dont have to wait until the end of the two week period, I'll just send them on to the other judges via PM.
    Last edited by motoko's ghost; 2011-12-13 at 07:49 AM. Reason: needed to update the submission info after changes
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #17

Sorry to double post, I just wanted to check that the two people who volunteered to judge; Grey McBannert and Weezer got the PM with the first build.

18. - Top - End - #18

Its the 25th and I've only got 1 submission so far, should I extend the deadline or just declare it closed?

I'm going by GMT BTW
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #19
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by motoko's ghost View Post
    Its the 25th and I've only got 1 submission so far, should I extend the deadline or just declare it closed?

I'm going by GMT BTW
    I didn't even notice this thread till now xD

Edit: Though I'm curious to see if the contestant(s) optimized their Soul Knife equivalents the same way I do.
    Last edited by Wings of Peace; 2011-12-24 at 08:39 PM.
    Doc Roc: We're going to eat ourselves.

20. - Top - End - #20

Quote Originally Posted by Wings of Peace View Post
    I didn't even notice this thread till now xD

Edit: Though I'm curious to see if the contestant(s) optimized their Soul Knife equivalents the same way I do.
    Should I keep it open for another week or so then?
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #21
    Firbolg in the Playground

Should I keep it open for another week or so then?
    I vote yes. I just saw this thread for the first time now, and it's a really cool idea. I'm definitely not promising to enter the contest -- I would need to really be struck by inspiration to make time to do so. But I would like to, and I bet other people would too.
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

I have a number of ongoing projects that I manically jump between to spend my free time ... so don't be surprised when I post a lot about something for a few days, then burn out and abandon it.
    ... yes, I need to be tested for ADHD.

22. - Top - End - #22

Quote Originally Posted by Draz74 View Post
    I vote yes. I just saw this thread for the first time now, and it's a really cool idea. I'm definitely not promising to enter the contest -- I would need to really be struck by inspiration to make time to do so. But I would like to, and I bet other people would too.
    Would extending the submission time to midnight(GMT0) January 8th be a good idea then?
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Would extending the submission time to midnight(GMT0) January 8th be a good idea then?
    I just saw this as well. BTW, what format would you like for entrants?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

24. - Top - End - #24

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    I just saw this as well. BTW, what format would you like for entrants?
    It might not have been too clear in my first post, but the presentation format is the same as the Iron chef competitions.

Thanks for the support everyone.
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I love the sound of this competition. I'm game for judging. (I also only just saw this thread for the first time today)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alabenson
    Evil Intelligence is knowing the precise ritual that will allow you to destroy the peaceful kingdom that banished you.

Evil Wisdom is understanding that you probably shouldn’t perform said ritual while you’re standing in the estimated blast radius.

26. - Top - End - #26

Quote Originally Posted by BobVosh View Post
    I love the sound of this competition. I'm game for judging. (I also only just saw this thread for the first time today)
    Why does that keep happening?

However I am glad your judging, I'll PM you the first build Asap
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #27

Kobold

Any updates on this challenge? I had fun working on it.
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Gilded Duke View Post
    Any updates on this challenge? I had fun working on it.
    I think it was extended to January 8th, due to increased interest and a lack of submitted builds (only 2 have come in so far)
    At the heart of all beauty lies something inhuman, and these hills, the softness of the sky, the outline of the trees at this very minute lose the illusory meaning with which we clothed them, henceforth more remote than a lost paradise.
    -Camus, An Absurd Reasoning

Fourth Doctor avatar courtesy of Szilard

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

And this is how i met your mother a random bump.

i don't intend to play or judge (too little time and experience), but i'd be curious to see the results...
    Quote Originally Posted by actual quote from this forum
    So yeah. your wrong.
    Check out Camp Archimedes, a (slightly homebrew) mercenary camp full of interesting units. A great addition to any campaign (in my very biased opinion)

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

I could stand to get in on this.
    Quote Originally Posted by KKL
    D&D is its own momentum and does its own fantasy. It emulates itself in an incestuous mess.