New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default CoA IV: Wonderland Invaded (Recruiting)

CoA IV: Wonderland Invaded recruitment

You, good playgrounders, will be playing Wonderlanders and Mirrorians from Lewis Carroll's Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass respectively. The Red Queen of Mirroria has started an invasion of Wonderland, to the anger of the Queen of Hearts. The rules are same as ever, but flavour is different.

Please, try to keep within flavor. I can and will deny places to people who do not follow this rule. Original characters are also preferred.

Name: [e.g. The Mad Hatter, The Red Queen, etc.]

Appearance: [e.g. a red chess queen.]

Contacts and skills: [3-5 relevant contacts and skills; each power/skill must be a separate entry, a simple list won't do. Example below:]
    Spoiler
    Show

Chess Army: The Red Queen has command of her entire chess side, who will do more or less exactly what she says. They will fight to the death, but will also insist on regular tea breaks.
    Running: Due to the Red Queen's childhood training, she is able to maintain a running speed of 15 mph for up to ten minutes without difficulty.
    Impossibility: The Red Queen is fully capable of imagining impossible things, and uses these to defend herself from mental attacks. They also confuse the living daylights out of anyone talking to her if she so chooses.

Game rules:
    Spoiler
    Show

I Character creation

1. Post your character's name and a description in the recruitment thread.
    1.1 The name should be appropriate for the theme of the game.
    1.2 The description should include at least the character's favored method of killing. Other details on his appearance, personality and modus operandi are also appreciated.
    2. Send the GM your character's secret in a PM. What the secret is depends on the theme of the game, but it is usually a secret identity or vulnerability.

Secret: PM this to me: do NOT post it on the game thread. This may be a skeleton in your character's closet or an actual physical weakness.

II The game round

1. The GM posts a list of all remaining characters, and a list of secrets that are connected to those characters.
    2. Send the GM a PM with a guess. If you can guess correctly which secret belongs to which character, that character dies at the end of the round. Write your guess in the following format: [character] is [secret]
    2.1 Once you've sent your PM, you cannot change your guess. The only exception to this rule is that if your target is invalid, you can change your target.
    2.2 You can only target characters and secrets listed by the GM.
    2.3 You cannot target your own character, but you can target your character's secret.
    2.4 The deaths occur simultaneously, and thus it is possible for two characters to kill each other, or even for all remaining characters to die on the same round.
    2.5 If two or more players kill the same target, it counts as an assisted kill for each of the players.
    2.6 If you don't send a PM to the GM, or your PM does not have a valid guess in it, you are considered to be absent on that round. Two consecutive absences result in auto-elimination.
    2.7 You are allowed to send your guess in advance if you know you'll otherwise be absent on a round. You may include conditions as necessary to avoid choosing an invalid target.
    3. You may roleplay your character in the game thread. It is not obligatory, but it is recommended.
    4. You may make pacts with other players. A pact may be public (made in the game thread) or secret (made in PMs). In either case, any such pacts are non-binding.
    5. When 48 hours (2 days) have passed or everyone has sent in their PMs, the GM narrates the deaths and lists all guesses made that round. The guesses are listed in the following format: [character A]: [character B] is [secret] (miss!/HIT!)
    6. The GM checks how many players are left.
    6.1 If there are no characters alive, the game is over and there is no winner.
    6.2 If there is one character left, that player wins the game. If there are two characters left, the one with more kills wins; if it's still a tie, unassisted kills determine the winner.
    6.3 If there are three or more characters left, a new round begins.
    If I creep into your house in the dead of night and strangle you while you sleep, you probably messed up your grammar.

I'm always extremely careful to hedge myself against absolute statements.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: CoA IV: Wonderland Invaded (Recruiting)

In as The Mad Hatter, profile up in a few hours.

WW Game Roles:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Games Played: 21
    Devil: 1
    Wolf: 2
    Wolf Alpha: 1
    Co-Narrator: 2
    Narrator: 1
    Villager: 13
    Other (Weird): 1

Trophies
    Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Reserving a spot in the game. I hope my bad puns won't get me killed... On the other hand, Lewis Carroll loved puns

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Name: The Chaotic Cat of Choices

Appearance: The Chaotic Cat of Choices appears much like The Cheshire Cat at first appearence, but after a moment, you notice that he does not smile. And his coat is a silky black, instead of striped. The Chaotic Cat of Choices does not choose sides, indeed he does not care. He's there to maintain the delicate balance between chaos and order. With the war raging on, he'll favor any side. His trademark is to help people and offer them two choices, and only two choices.

Contacts and skills:
    Spoiler
    Show

Natural Knowledge: The Chaotic Cat of Choices knows every secret corner and nook in Wonderland. If your hiding somewhere in it, he'll be able to find.

It alsos knows what happens in Wonderland at every moment. It keeps this knowledge in the back of its mind when talking to others and draws upon it at any moments notice.

De-Bodidized: The Chaotic Cat of Choices can split apart his body and reform it at will.

Two Choices: The Chaotic Cat of Choices is made purely out of logic. With the fact that it knows everything that goes on in Wonderland, it can offer it recepient two choices, based on what it knows is going on. It might choose to hide some of the truth, but what it says is almost always true. It can lie, but it strongly prefers not too.

The two choices it offers are not always the best thing to do for the moment. But whatever choice the recepient makes, the chaotic cat does not influenece it, it only states them. Thus no responsibility for its choices can be blamed on it.

Survival Instinct: Just like the Cheshire Cat, The Chaotic Cat of Choices can dissapear and reappear at will in any part of Wonderland, or even do single body parts.

Background: Always the odd ball out, The Chaotic Cat of Choices is not what it seems. It is related to the Cheshire Cat by blood, but hates this fact as everyone seems to love The Cheshire Cat but hate him. It never fights physically, but uses his words as his weapon. Usually by offering his recepient two choices and watch as they torture themselves by their own mistakes.
    Last edited by Deathslayer7; 2009-12-29 at 03:31 PM.
    Not wearing your seat belt? See you soon!
    Thanks to Kwarkpudding for this excellent avatar.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Tialait View Post
    This is perhaps the most amazing idea I have heard in eons. Thank you kind slayer of Death.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

Name: Gawkins
    Appearance: A very tall and lanky man, wearing a blue suit that's far too small for him. He has a very thin and straggly covering of hair on his head, but it's not that way because of age, but because of lack of care.
    Contacts/Skills:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Non-threatening: Gawkins is not taken seriously, even by the residents of Wonderland, and as such they don't consider him in their plans.
    Poisons expertise: Gawkins, despite his apparent insanity, is incredibly skilled in the use of posions.

He usually uses them to hurt people who don't pay attention to him.
    Not... quite... there: Gawkins occasionally seems to... flicker. While it's rare in normal conversation, when he's stressed, he starts flickering more and more, and moving further and further when he reappears. It's deeply confusing, and makes him incredibly hard to hit.
    Recaiden made the mime doll.

Spoiler: Nexus Characters
    Show

6. - Top - End - #6

Name: Mr. Liddell

Appearance: Mr. Liddell appears to be a man in his mid-twenties. His hair is brown and curly. He is often seen wearing a dark bowler hat (US: derby), a neat brown jacket, and a gray cotton shirt and trousers that don't quite reach his ankles.

Contacts and skills:
    Spoiler
    Show

Amazing luck: Mr. Liddell is amazingly lucky, in fact so lucky that he makes Irishmen look like Russians. He usually won't resort to violence and he usually doesn't have to because anyone trying to attack him usually dies in a comical and grotesque fashion in a freak accident of some kind.

Bad Puns: Mr. Liddell is infamous for his particularly bad puns. Worse yet, the puns have some reality-altering magic in them.

Forgetful: "How can that be a skill?" you may ask. But being forgetful has saved his life more than once. The skill also has some reality-altering magic to it: if he forgets how something works or what something does, it probably won't work or do what it was supposed to. This may also be the reason why Mr. Liddell doesn't seem to get older, he simply forgot to.

Background: Years ago (or was it decades ago?) Mr. Liddell was returning home from the pub. He decided to take a shortcut across a field but stumbled upon an unusually large rabbit hole and fell. When he came to, he was in a weird-looking place and had no idea what had happened. Mr. Liddell has been living in Wonderland ever since. He knows most denizens of Wonderland, but is largely neutral in the conflict between Wonderland and the Mirrorians.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

I honestly know nothing about this flavor of COA...

Name: Tweedledoo
    Appearance: Exactly like Tweedledum and Tweedledee, except Tweedledoo's hat has a baseball bat on it.
    Contacts and Skills:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Hat Whack: Tweedledoo can whack people and things with the baseball bat on his hat.
    Home Run: Basically a Hat Whack that knocks people out of sight.
    Right Field: A less powerful version of the Home Run.

Background: Tweedledoo is the shunned third brother of Tweedledum and Tweedledee.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

Im in, give me a sec to post my character.
    I shall spread the buttery light of justice over the toast of your iniquity!

Fight my brute.
    Brutes too boring? Try this one.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

Name: Nicolai Hythloday

Apperance: A withered old man of around 70 with scraggly white hair and a vacant expression. Wears a bright lime green jacket and orange trousers. He carries an old oak cane and wears big yellow boots.

Contacts and Skills:
    Spoiler
    Show

Insanity: Nicolai is about as insane as they come. It is almost impossible to speak with him for more than a few sentences without completely losing track of the conversation. He speaks in nonsense, talks to the invisible and inanimate, and is known for erupting into fits of incomprehensible babbling.

Friends: While being insane, Nicolai has an uncanny knack for making friends. He is mostly harmless and rather enduring to most kind-hearted people he meets. This also seems to extend to more than just people as even the animals seem to be more friendly to him. More than a few people have speculated this is perhaps even supernatural in nature, but this is unconfirmed. Needless to say, because of this he has many friends far and wide across wonderland.

Mental Breakdown: While being a harmless old man most of the time, Nicolai occasionally has periods of mental breakdowns, usually when attacked or angered. When this happens, reality seems to bend around him. The area around him becomes darkened, the weather will start going crazy, and horrible "accidents" start happening around him. This rarely happens however since Nicolai almost never gets angry and everyone loves Nicolai anyway.

Background: Perhaps the strangest thing about Nicolai is his lack of background. By all accounts he has always been around, always been the same, and never been any younger or older. He is like a permanent fixture in wonderland that no one knows where he came from or how long its been there. He has simply always been there.
    Last edited by calar; 2010-01-03 at 09:00 PM.

Fight my brute.

10. - Top - End - #10

It'll be interesting to see how the deaths will be narrated, considering that most of the characters don't have directly offensive powers. Many accidents will happen, I presume.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

Dose anyone have a link to a free copy of the text ( asuming there out of copyright if there not please do not shout.) I want to play but not read the books
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Johel View Post
    Because utopia is a dream, humans are bastards and any attempt to really flesh out Neverland turns it into Battle Royal island, only with pirates, cannibal children, man-eating mermaids, sadistic Indians, nymphomaniac fairies and Godzilla with a ringing tummy.

I have a specific learning difficulty, if I misuse grammar, misspell or otherwise abuse the written word, forgive me

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Project Gutenburg is really good for that kind of thing, that being the point of it. Specifically, I think that you want this page.
    If I creep into your house in the dead of night and strangle you while you sleep, you probably messed up your grammar.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

Come on people, join. We need more than this.

Fight my brute.

14. - Top - End - #14

Since I'm utterly confused as to how this game works, it makes getting involved a titch intimidating.
    Catatar made for me many years ago ... pretty sure by banjo1985
    Werewolf Awards: 'Best Narration: Helgraf'
    Rabbit says stuff that makes me blush.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

it's not as complicated as it seems. Where are you confused?
    Not wearing your seat belt? See you soon!
    Thanks to Kwarkpudding for this excellent avatar.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Tialait View Post
    This is perhaps the most amazing idea I have heard in eons. Thank you kind slayer of Death.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

In!

Name: Mirian

Appearance: A simple mirror in a black frame, Mirian is the daughter of the mirror that featured in Alice Through the Looking-Glass. Inside the mirror is a world looking exactly like the world outside except with the contrast inverted. People can travel through the mirror to the inverse world, but Mirian doesn't like this unless they show a valid ticket.

Contacts and Skills:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Inverted: Mirian is a portal through to a world with inverted contrast.

Ticket Please: Mirian can print off a ticket to anyone who pays the proper fee.

Immobile: Mirian absolutely refuses to move in any circumstances.

Background: Mirian is the result of an accident in a film processing studio when editing an interview with her famous mother. She has a dark sense of humour, but only on one side.
    There is no spoon.

17. - Top - End - #17

I was going to skip a COA game but what the hell

Name: Dodo

Appearance: a human-sized anthromorphic dodo

Contacts and skills:

Lewis Carrol: Being the alter ego of the writer, the Dodo can communicate with him to give comments on the story as it develops. Sometimes the writer adapts the story, sometimes not.

Arbiter: because of his superb (hah) reasoning skills, he is immediately chosen as a wise bird that can referee any game. No one knows why everybody thinks he's wise but they all agree on it.

Political attack: being a mirror image of a politician he can destroy someones personality by inciting the other residents

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Lex-Kat View Post
    "Leave my Rakkoon alone!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    What shall I say to thee, rakkoon, thou cruel,
    Ingrateful, savage and inhuman creature,
    That knewst the very bottom of my soul,
    That almost mightst have coined me into gold
    Wouldst thou have practiced on me for thy use?
    Supa Songs about me

Thanks to Elder Tsofu for the banner and Rowsen for the avvie!

18. - Top - End - #18

Ah, excellent. Seven characters submitted. Just a few more...

Helgraf, the game is really very simple. The rules may seem more complex than they really are. First, each player submits a character and sends the GM a secret in a PM. The character description is just flavor, something the GM can make use of in his narrative.

When the game begins, everyone makes guesses round after round. If you can guess to which character a secret belongs, you kill that character. Have a look at the CoA III thread and you'll see how it works. You can roleplay your character, but it won't affect the outcome of the guesses anyhow.

Shameless advertising:
    Spoiler
    Show

I changed my plans regarding the next game I'll host. There'll be no Mook Wars, at least not anytime soon. Instead I've been designing a game called Goblins: the Exodus where each player controls a family of goblins. Together, the goblin families form a tribe with hundreds of gobbos in it. The goblins were formerly servants of a great evil, but now they're free! It's a game of survival, politics, resource management, cooperation and competition. Recruitment coming up soon!
    Last edited by Kensen; 2010-01-08 at 07:01 AM.

19. - Top - End - #19

Come on people, join, join, JOIN!

Random_person: Just an idea - if we don't get eleven players, you might add a few "dummy" secrets to the list, so the game will be slightly longer.

20. - Top - End - #20

Ooh ooh, let's start with the dumb puns already.
    *clears throat*
    "Yes, because we already have enough dummy players"
    * looks around expectantly *

Spoiler
    Show

Supa Songs about me

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'll play if I can have another day to make a character.

WW Game Roles:
    Spoiler
    Show

Trophies
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #22

Bumpety bump. Join the game, join the game! Easy to learn, impossible to master! It's like chess with entirely different rules! Make a guess and see the other fellow drop dead!

Also in the news...
    Spoiler
    Show

Join Goblin: the Exodus, the awesome goblin tribe game! See my sig for the recruitment link! Recruitment still open for a little while!

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

Name: Mr. T. H. E. Bellman
    Appearance: Mr. T. H. E. Bellman, also known as "The" Bellman, is a skinny, gaunt, seven-foot-tall man, with a long white beard. He holds a bell at all times, that is large and silver.
    Skills: Bell-Ringing: He's a master at this, he's THE expert.
    Triple Veracity: When he says something three times, it is always true. Even if he doesn't intend it to be true, it ends up true anyway.
    Snark Hunting: He's kind of bad at this.
    Leadership: He invariably, despite his incompetence, ends up the leader of any group he's in.

WW Game Roles:
    Spoiler
    Show

Trophies
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

now that I'm done sulking about the fact that someone (Can you feel the icy glare ? Glaaaare) got me lynched in Hunting of the snark, I might as well join that game.
    You'll have to excuse me if my character isn't particulary Carrolian as I am not as familiar with the work of the man as I'd like

Name: The savant golem.

Apparence:
    His body is an empty metalic barrel with a little door in the middle. Fixed to the body are two articulated arms and two legs mounted on springs. His Head is a melon with a glued mask for the face face and a funnel for a hat.

Skills:

Knowledge: This golem is a great savant indeed. he knows everything and is alway right especialy when he's wrong. The source of his knowledge is an encyclopedia stucked inside his body wich he sometime takies out to read a definition. The page of the encyclopedia are all blank, "For you have really to understand, my lad, those who tell otherwise are hacks, when one has knowledge, and it is pretty sad, he cannot be distracted by facts."

Object: The body of the golem is made of metal and therefore he cannot be armed normaly.

empty: In his empty body, the golem keeps many objects he uses for his logic demonstrations. This has led many denizen of wonderland to savagely pun about him having a nice chest. Such puns he ignores with utermost contempt.
    Last edited by smuchmuch; 2010-01-15 at 06:19 PM.
    I'm sig'ing in the rain, just sig'ing in the rain....

Somme old avatars, by me
    Spoiler
    Show

-

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Sorry.

No, really, I am sorry. I should really stop trusting people (it was not my idea).

Player List
    Spoiler
    Show
    Deathslayer7 - The Chaotic Cat of Choices.
    billtodamax - Gawkins.
    Kensen - Mr. Liddell.
    Paul Muad'dib - Tweedledoo.
    calar - Nicolai Hythloday.
    Nehh - Mirian.
    rakkoon - the Dodo.
    The Bookworm - Mr. T. H. E. Bellman.
    smuchmuch - The savant golem.

Two more players! Is that so hard?

26. - Top - End - #26
    Barbarian in the Playground

Hey, you.

Doesn't this game look fun? We all had fun in the past with it.

You know what I'd do if I was in your position?

Join it. Look at all these people that already have!

They can't all be wrong, can they?

Come on.
    Recaiden made the mime doll.

Spoiler: Nexus Characters
    Show

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

Glaaaare anyway.

Two more players! Is that so hard?
    Well you didn't choose the most obvious theme for a CoA (that said you get lots of points for originality) , I admit I'm really curious to see how you'll manage with the naration given the characters you got.

They can't all be wrong, can they?
    Said the sheepherd to the sheep who refused to follow the rest of the herd in the slaughterhouse.
    Last edited by smuchmuch; 2010-01-16 at 09:54 AM.
    I'm sig'ing in the rain, just sig'ing in the rain....

Somme old avatars, by me
    Spoiler
    Show

-

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

I would ask Murska to join in, but that would break the game. Sigh...
    There is no spoon.

29. - Top - End - #29

I asked a few people but apparantly I lack persuasion skills

Spoiler
    Show

Supa Songs about me

30. - Top - End - #30

Who said we need eleven players anyway? (I did!) It's just a recommendation. It'll be a slightly shorter game with nine players, so what.