New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Planetar

Default Pathfinder 1e Spelljammer+Psionics, 6th Level Gestalt

First Contact

Your world barely fended off a spelljammer invasion and managed to capture a few helms during the fighting, you are one of the first Astronauts chosen to go out and explore the newly discovered "world above worlds". You are tasked to find allies to protect your world and find a way to defeat your enemies should they return

It is up to the actions of the Astronauts if your fledgling world becomes the Federation, The Imperium of Man, or dies out leaving only scattered refugees

This game deliberately blurs the line between fantasy and sci-fi, along with civilizations of different technology levels coexisiting, so I will include a few supplements for advanced technology (such as cybertech or psibertech) though you may not have access to everything at character creation.

I am posting to see if there would be interest in such a game before I commit to running it. It would likely be gestalt and run on Discord, 6th Level Gestalt. Definite races include Human and Android, Warforged, Dvati, Gathlain, Giff(others negotiable)

Spoiler: Big 16
    Show
    1. What game system are you running (D&D, Call of Cthulu, Palladium, GURPS, etc.), and if applicable what edition (Original, Classic, Revised, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 10th, etc.)?
    Pathfinder, possible splashes of 3.5

2. What 'type' or variant of game will it be (i.e. "Shadow Chasers" or "Agents of Psi" for d20 Modern)? What is the setting for the game (eg. historic period, published or homebrewed campaign setting, alternate reality, modern world, etc.)?
    Spelljammer Technological

3. How many Players are you looking for? Will you be taking alternates, and if so, how many?
    5 would be ideal, may be 4 or 6

4. What's the gaming medium (OOTS, chat, e-mail etc.)?
    Discord server, asynchronous

5. What is the characters' starting status (i.e. experience level)?
    Level 6, Gestalt

6. How much gold or other starting funds will the characters begin with?
    standard WBL

7. Are there any particular character classes, professions, orders, etc. that you want... or do not want? What are your rules on 'prestige' and/or homebrewed classes?
    At least one accepted character WILL be Psionic. Homebrew may be accepted but is unlikely.

8. What races, subraces, species, etc. are allowed for your game? Will you allow homebrewed races or species? 'Prestige' races or species?
    Races by request. Currently Human, Android, Warforged, Dvati, and Gathlain.
    Native
    Human, Dvati
    Warforged, Android
    Goblin, Blue

Outsider
    Gathlain
    Giff
    Dromite(Note Dromites are the invaders, so you need a compelling reason to be working with the human crew)

9. By what method should Players generate their attributes/ability scores and Hit Points?
    25 Point Buy, max hp at every level

10. Does your game use alignment? What are your restrictions, if so?
    Standard alignment. Evil characters must have compelling reasons to work with a group. If you can't play evil well this is not the campaign to try learning.

11. Do you allow multi-classing, or have any particular rules in regards to it?
    Multi-classing at no penalty

12. Will you be doing all of the die rolling during the course of the game? Will die rolls be altered, or left to the honor system? If players can make die rolls, which ones do they make, how should they make the rolls, and how should they report them?
    Dice bot. Some rolls may be made secretly.

13. Are there any homebrewed or optional/variant rules that your Players should know about? If so, list and explain them, or provide relevant links to learn about these new rules.
    Dvati pathfinder port
    Giff pathfinder port
    Elephant in the Room feat tax
    Warforged get one warforged feat for free

14. Is a character background required? If so, how big? Are you looking for anything in particular (i.e. the backgrounds all ending up with the characters in the same city)?
    Must be on the ship as it leaves the home sphere for the first time (Native astronaut, refugee, stowaway, hired mercenary, prisoner... etc)
    A few paragraphs of background would be nice.

15. Does your game involve a lot of hack & slash, puzzle solving, roleplaying, or a combination of the above?
    Lots of hack and slash, roleplaying with kingdom/alliance building, may be the occasional dungeon or puzzle.

16. Are your Players restricted to particular rulebooks and supplements, or will you be allowing access to non-standard material? What sources can Players use for their characters?
    Paizo, including Occult, Dreamscarred Press Psionics and Path of War (no Akasha), Legendary games Arcforge and Psibertech, more may be added
    Last edited by Benoojian; 2024-05-23 at 03:02 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Default Re: Pathfinder 1e Spelljammer+Psionics, gauging interest

I like it! Let's hope there is some interest.
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    Survived Total War: Mandate of Heaven as The Witch-Doctors
    Thrived in Empire! 7 as the Sakura-Jin

3. - Top - End - #3

Planetar

Thinking the main enemy will be a Dromite hivemind wanting to settle and consume new worlds so your starting ship will be a dragonfly looted off of one of them. That does mean at least one character MUST be Psionic, in order to control the Psionic Spelljamming Helm.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Are you open to using spheres of might/power?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

I have fond memories of a spaceship game (Firefly-inspired) where I played a Warforged Shaper (psion), the ship's engineer and repairman... It was short-lived, unfortunately.
    I guess it would be an Android in PF1.

Would lack of familiarity with Spelljammer be an issue?
    Last edited by namo; 2024-05-20 at 04:11 PM.
    "Even gods must learn to control their tempers, lest they set a bad example."
    The Malazan Book of the Fallen, Steven Erikson

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Are you sure about the race restrictions? More options usually helps with creative builds.

7. - Top - End - #7

Planetar

Warforged is acceptable, use 3.5 stats, but you get one free Warforged feat to represent the bonus most races got in the transition. Warforged are sentients created by magic. Androids were created by Psionics. You also certainly are a veteran of the Dromite war as a war forged, unless you are very new or very very old

I want to integrate any races into the world, so I am sticking with my individual approval method. Was there a specific race you were interested in?

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

MindFlayer

Yep. I'm very interested in this.

9. - Top - End - #9

Planetar

Spheres of Might and Power are a strong maybe, since setting up traditions and going through advanced talents is a lot of work. Is there a specific character concept you wanted to express with it?

You do not need to know anything about Spelljammer unless your character concept is for some reason not one of the Astronauts from the home planet, since the world is entirely new to it.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

I would really like to play a set of Dvati, but I'm down to play a human if that's a no-go.
    GNU Terry Pratchett

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Benoojian View Post
    Spheres of Might and Power are a strong maybe, since setting up traditions and going through advanced talents is a lot of work. Is there a specific character concept you wanted to express with it?

You do not need to know anything about Spelljammer unless your character concept is for some reason not one of the Astronauts from the home planet, since the world is entirely new to it.
    Well, spheres of might gives the fighter real flexibility and options other than full attacks. But if you are not comfortable no sweat, it is your game.

I will wait for the big 16.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Declaring interest on something5/Aegis 5 pending the 16.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by droobles View Post
    Are you open to using spheres of might/power?
    I second this
    For every battle lost, there is a battle won.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Pending interest.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

Pending interest. Have an idea for a spellhacking investigator of the sorts.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

I would like to also voice my support for spheres. Since we already have mechanical things present, tech sphere should nice fit. I especially like the rocket launcher.

I want to integrate any races into the world, so I am sticking with my individual approval method. Was there a specific race you were interested in?
    Right now I'm still broadly thinking about characters and concepts. One set of races I really like and fits lore of warforged are Automatons.

For character concepts, perhaps I could go for builds that would be supported by having a ship. For example a sige wizard or a crafter. Witch, bouth work well with Android but that's all loose and might change as get into the detals.

17. - Top - End - #17

SwashbucklerGuy

I have some interest if Spheres is allowed. I'd make a Human Hekatonkheires Symbiat, a telekinetic person who gained their mind limbs from whatever event caused the psychic phenomenon to become prevalent on the planet.

18. - Top - End - #18

Certainly interested, especially if Spheres is allowed. Unsure on concept yet (unless the starting level is 7, in which case, can I play a Changeling?).

19. - Top - End - #19

Planetar

After some thought I’m going to say No Spheres.It waters down the Psionics vs Magic too much.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

I'm interested, would like to have one side Aegis similar to Aurangh, cuz it just makes sense.

Also very interested in how you are doing guns?

https://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment/w...odern-firearms like this? or are we refluffinf spells like Scorching Ray == Hellgun?
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

“Take but degree away, untune that string, And, hark, what discord follows!” -Shakespeare
    “Gnyðja mundu nú grísir, ef þeir vissi, hvat inn gamli þyldi” -Ragnar Lodbrok

"I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me." -Archilochus

Discord -Now with a recruitment bot!

21. - Top - End - #21
    Orc in the Playground

After some thought I’m going to say No Spheres.It waters down the Psionics vs Magic too much.
    Have to ask. No spheres of power. Also, no Champion, guile or might.?

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

I have a race request. May I please play a Goblin?
    Last edited by ProgressPaladin; 2024-05-21 at 12:21 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Shiro_Nogard View Post
    Have to ask. No spheres of power. Also, no Champion, guile or might.?
    That is correct. I will however allow Path of War.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Here is a Dvati port, I'm willing to accept others, but this one is on the playground and deals with a lot of unanswered questions.
    GNU Terry Pratchett

25. - Top - End - #25

Planetar

Gathlain approved with some fluff changes, the Gathlain are a spacefaring race that spread their seeds by basically turning into a giant cannon tree when they die and firing their seeds randomly into space, so you can be born on the home planet, on its moon, or be a spacefarer that joined up with them for some reason

Updated Dvati approved, they are not a natural race however, but an experiment in trying to replicate the hivemind abilities of the Enemy. You are considered military property.

Automata denied, it uses honor and Wyrd mechanics that I will not be implementing

Quote Originally Posted by ProgressPaladin View Post
    I have a race request. May I please play a Goblin?
    I just spent 20 minutes writing up lore for the Gathlain :( I have several ideas for goblins, were you wanting to be native to this sphere or an Outsider?

Quote Originally Posted by BelGareth View Post
    Also very interested in how you are doing guns?
    At character creation, use Guns Everywhere rules for early and advanced guns, rare rules for Modern Guns, and Technological Guns are inaccesible except for the Soulknife Blade Skill Emulate Technological Weapon. Modern and Tech weapons may be more accessible later
    Last edited by Benoojian; 2024-05-21 at 12:42 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Gathlain approved with some fluff changes, the Gathlain are a spacefaring race that spread their seeds by basically turning into a giant cannon tree when they die and firing their seeds randomly into space, so you can be born on the home planet, on its moon, or be a spacefarer that joined up with them for some reason

Updated Dvati approved, they are not a natural race however, but an experiment in trying to replicate the hivemind abilities of the Enemy. You are considered military property.

Automata denied, it uses honor and Wyrd mechanics that I will not be implementing

I just spent 20 minutes writing up lore for the Gathlain :( I have several ideas for goblins, were you wanting to be native to this sphere or an Outsider?

At character creation, use Guns Everywhere rules for early and advanced guns, rare rules for Modern Guns, and Technological Guns are inaccesible except for the Soulknife Blade Skill Emulate Technological Weapon. Modern and Tech weapons may be more accessible later
    I'm not really sure what that means to be honest, so we can purchase modern guns? and need the Gunsmithing feat to make it feasible?

Very Rare Guns: Early firearms are rare; advanced firearms, the gunslinger class, the Amateur Gunslinger feat, and archetypes that use the firearm rules do not exist in this type of campaign. Firearms are treated more like magic items—things of wonder and mystery—rather than like things that are mass-produced. Few know the strange secrets of firearm creation. Only NPCs can take the Gunsmithing feat.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

“Take but degree away, untune that string, And, hark, what discord follows!” -Shakespeare
    “Gnyðja mundu nú grísir, ef þeir vissi, hvat inn gamli þyldi” -Ragnar Lodbrok

"I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me." -Archilochus

Discord -Now with a recruitment bot!

27. - Top - End - #27

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by BelGareth View Post
    I'm not really sure what that means to be honest, so we can purchase modern guns? and need the Gunsmithing feat to make it feasible?

Very Rare Guns: Early firearms are rare; advanced firearms, the gunslinger class, the Amateur Gunslinger feat, and archetypes that use the firearm rules do not exist in this type of campaign. Firearms are treated more like magic items—things of wonder and mystery—rather than like things that are mass-produced. Few know the strange secrets of firearm creation. Only NPCs can take the Gunsmithing feat.
    Firearms on this page are 1/10th the cost and do not require Gunsmithing to create (though it still provides discounts if you do). They are considered Simple Weapons.

Modern Guns, those on this page, are priced like magic items and cost 10x the listed price (at character creation), require Martial Weapon proficiency and do require Gunsmithing to craft

Technological Weapons, those on this page, are not purchasable at character creation, and require the Technologist feat to operate without a misfire chance, but will show up later in the game.
    Last edited by Benoojian; 2024-05-21 at 02:02 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Bugbear in the Playground

[...]

That makes both Gathlain and Soulknives sound pretty enticing. Perhaps I'll focus on the latter, which I've never played before.
    Melee technological weapons are also available, I assume?
    edit: do Soulknives need the Technologist feat as well, or just the Blade skill?

I'll start figuring out a bit of mechanics before I venture into the fluff.

I've seen numerous other games use the High Psionics variant in other campaigns, which gives the Soulknives some manifesting, but I'll be frank, I don't know the resulting level of power. I assume they're still behind full casters/manifesters.
    Will we be using it? (If anyone with more experience wants to weigh in...)
    Last edited by namo; 2024-05-21 at 02:21 PM.
    "Even gods must learn to control their tempers, lest they set a bad example."
    The Malazan Book of the Fallen, Steven Erikson

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

OH, I wanted to do Gathlain anyway, I just thought that you wouldn’t be likely to approve it. My fault. I had an idea for a Tree-Born Gathlain Kineticist, using it’s connection to the earth.
    Last edited by ProgressPaladin; 2024-05-21 at 02:17 PM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Default Re: Pathfinder 1e Spelljammer+Psionics, 6th Level Gestalt

Okay- Void Prohet Zealot into Phoenix champion, unless it steps on Bel's toes, on which case pure Zealot?

The Twins were born hearing the Voice of The Enemy, but their guns speak for us!
    GNU Terry Pratchett