New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Ionathus's Random Banter #249 -- Directionless Rambling Is Now Mandatory

One of the best things about sports and sports-adjacent manga and anime is that, due to the relatively lower stakes of the main subject matter, you can afford to push your villains to unacceptably evil levels and have it still be okay since it's not like they're actually going to cause anyone real physical harm, they're at best going to try and ruin someone's career.

But by that very same token, by pushing the villains THAT HARD, you can make a character so genuinely unlikable that is inspires just as much equal blood-thirsty rage.

all this to say: read Akane-Banashi, it is a manga in Shonen Jump about the Japanese art of Rakugo, and the current antagonist of the show is such a despicable piece of **** that for the first time in a long long while I had the thought of "I want him to die screaming".

2. - Top - End - #392
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Ionathus's Random Banter #249 -- Directionless Rambling Is Now Mandatory

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    One of the best things about sports and sports-adjacent manga and anime is that, due to the relatively lower stakes of the main subject matter, you can afford to push your villains to unacceptably evil levels and have it still be okay since it's not like they're actually going to cause anyone real physical harm, they're at best going to try and ruin someone's career.
    Note to self, LaZodiac hasn't seen Shaolin Soccer.

And you should because it's AMAZING.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 1

3. - Top - End - #393
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Post Re: Ionathus's Random Banter #249 -- Directionless Rambling Is Now Mandatory

Speaking of sports, the New York Knicks Basketball Team is eliminated in the playoffs.
    Last edited by Bartmanhomer; 2024-05-20 at 12:47 AM.
    It's time to get my Magikarp on!

4. - Top - End - #394
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    I don't think ive ever seen a comment get every single person who read it to be the exact same level of uncomfortable before.

So anyway...

I always assumed it was just that bathrooms were small and kitchens were not, and those were the only rooms with plumbing access Ive seen some civil war era houses that also have the washing machine in the kitchen area because the bathrooms are, well, toilet sized, or shower sized if they have one.
    I'm seeing a lot of flats and some small houses with shower rooms instead of bathrooms. It's clearly a smaller, cheaper, room for a housing builder.

There (allgededly?) used to be murders done by throwing toasters or mains radios into an occupied bath and claiming it was an accident.

Associating the virtuous neuro-divergent with the evil mentally deranged is a gross miscarriage of justice, the mentally ill and mentally deficient need to be exterminated now.
    Last edited by halfeye; 2024-05-20 at 04:05 AM.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

5. - Top - End - #395
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    There (allgededly?) used to be murders done by throwing toasters or mains radios into an occupied bath and claiming it was an accident.
    "She was just taking her bath and making some toast when disaster struck, officer!"

6. - Top - End - #396
    Troll in the Playground

Speaking of, I need to get back to looking for a place to live today.

Gonna call up some estate agents, book some views, and then I can get back to my usual Monday routine of dressing as a tiefling and streaming. =3
    Hi, I'm back, I guess. ^_^
    I cosplay and stream LPs of single player games on Twitch! Mon, Wed & Fri; currently playing: Fallout: New Vegas (Mon/Wed) and The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (Thurs or Fri)

7. - Top - End - #397
    Titan in the Playground

But by that very same token, by pushing the villains THAT HARD, you can make a character so genuinely unlikable that is inspires just as much equal blood-thirsty rage.

all this to say: read Akane-Banashi, it is a manga in Shonen Jump about the Japanese art of Rakugo, and the current antagonist of the show is such a despicable piece of **** that for the first time in a long long while I had the thought of "I want him to die screaming".
    This is exactly why I love sports manga, yeah. Hajime no Ippo, Haikyuu, Slam Dunk, etc. all classics because they can afford to have a wide variety of characters with different motivations. You can have likable adversaries and even people you root for OVER THE PROTAGONIST(s) because the stakes aren't so serious. Good stuff.

Hell, that's kinda the entire premise of The Boxer (a manwha) past a certain point. "The main character's coach is turning him into a monster, somebody needs to make him lose to knock some sense into him".

8. - Top - End - #398
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Happy Monday, Giant In The Playground Family. Today is a relaxing day for me.

9. - Top - End - #399

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Note to self, LaZodiac hasn't seen Shaolin Soccer.

And you should because it's AMAZING.
    Incorrect! I have in fact watched Shaolin Soccer, and it does in fact rule! While what I said regarding sports and sports-adjacent series IS true, there is always going to be exceptions like Shaolin Soccer or Blue Lock where it's actually ****ing insane and wild. Ironically Blue Lock is also a soccer series, so maybe it's just a thing football does to people.

10. - Top - End - #400
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BisectedBrioche View Post

Gonna call up some estate agents, book some views, and then I can get back to my usual Monday routine of dressing as a tiefling and streaming. =3
    I hope you find a nice place within a reasonable time frame. House hunting can be a real pain these days.

11. - Top - End - #401
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Form View Post
    I hope you find a nice place within a reasonable time frame. House hunting can be a real pain these days.
    Not gonna lie, I saw that out of the corner of my eye as "horse hunting" and was terribly confused for just, so many reasons.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

12. - Top - End - #402
    Ogre in the Playground

Not gonna lie, I saw that out of the corner of my eye as "horse hunting" and was terribly confused for just, so many reasons.
    Now I'll never look at Form's avatar the same way again...

13. - Top - End - #403
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

I recommend a flat or a house. The other options tend to be more problematic.
    While what I said regarding sports and sports-adjacent series IS true, there is always going to be exceptions like Shaolin Soccer or Blue Lock where it's actually ****ing insane and wild.
    Fair.
    Incorrect! I have in fact watched Shaolin Soccer, and it does in fact rule!
    Hooray! And hell yeah it does!
    Ironically Blue Lock is also a soccer series, so maybe it's just a thing football does to people.
    Imean it's a Hong Kong comedy. If it was set in Italy during World Cup, the violence would be more like a documentary.
    House hunting can be a real pain these days.
    Only if you use small caliber or are just ethically against dynamite-assisted hunting.
    I know the human being and horse can coexist peacefully.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 1

14. - Top - End - #404

Oh, I'd missed this. Good luck Brioche!!!

Imean it's a Hong Kong comedy. If it was set in Italy during World Cup, the violence would be more like a documentary.
    *nod nods* true, true. I'm familiar with Kung Fu Hustle as well, so I know the vibe.

Incidentally I think you'd enjoy Blue Lock. It's a soccer series that takes the general concept most team sport series have; that no player is god and it's all about friendship and unity, and says "okay but what if we were fffffffreeeeaks instead" and instead makes a soccer player factory where the goal is to make a team of nothing but awful, ruthless ace players who don't need a team, all on a single team, and win at the ol' footie with the overwhelming power of being a ****ing psychopath of sports.

Soccer is not a sport of teamwork and friendship. Soccer is a score of hitting the ball into the net and doing literally anything in your power to do so. Sometimes this involves devolving into some kind of sport-animal personality wise. It kind of rules.

15. - Top - End - #405
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Soccer is not a sport of teamwork and friendship. Soccer is a score of hitting the ball into the net and doing anything in your power to do so. Sometimes this involves devolving into some kind of sport-animal personality. It kind of rules.
    I politely disagree with it.

To explain a bit more, Soccer is a sport of teamwork and rapport on friendship. Sure it's competitive but players still need to work together as a team.
    Last edited by Bartmanhomer; 2024-05-20 at 09:19 AM.

16. - Top - End - #406

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    I politely disagree with it.

To explain a bit more, Soccer is a sport of teamwork and rapport on friendship. Sure it's competitive but players still need to work together as a team.
    That's not a thing I believe, it is the thesis of the manga in question I am talking about.
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2024-05-20 at 09:35 AM.

17. - Top - End - #407
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

That's not a thing I believe, it is the thesis of the manga in question I am talking about.
    Ok. Fair enough.

18. - Top - End - #408
    Titan in the Playground

Soccer is not a sport of teamwork and friendship. Soccer is a score of hitting the ball into the net and doing literally anything in your power to do so. Sometimes this involves devolving into some kind of sport-animal personality wise. It kind of rules.
    So this method turns out really good defenders, but mediocre at best midfielders and strikers? Oh, and utterly terrible goalies.

Like as a premise to a series it's interesting, but it's also screaming for a healthy dose of reality where either a coordinated team out competes them (ideally in like a 2-1 win), or they start getting red carded.

Although now I kind of want to write a sports comic where a rugby team is doing terribly, gets forced into etiquette lessons, and suddenly becomes top tier...
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

19. - Top - End - #409

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    So this method turns out really good defenders, but mediocre at best midfielders and strikers? Oh, and utterly terrible goalies.

Like as a premise to a series it's interesting, but it's also screaming for a healthy dose of reality where either a coordinated team out competes them (ideally in like a 2-1 win), or they start getting red carded.

Although now I kind of want to write a sports comic where a rugby team is doing terribly, gets forced into etiquette lessons, and suddenly becomes top tier...
    Sometimes you just gotta turn your brain off and embrace whatever over the top insanity a manga/anime/<insert media> offers.

20. - Top - End - #410
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I think theres an actual documentary out there about such a team from real life baseball, where they were doing terrible, sat down, completely re-thought the traditions of the game versus the actual rules, and instead of anchoring their game on a couple of star players at each job, got everyone to the level of like 70-80% of their best players at everything, and suddenly their team was so versatile they went on a rampage for years before the rest of the sport caught up.

Wow that was a run-on sentence. Good thing I don't answer to my english teacher anymore.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

21. - Top - End - #411

So I finally got caught up on Zodis' streams, then spent like ten minutes trying to figure out what colors various Owl House characters would be in Lorcana.

Has anyone else not done anything meaningfully productive?
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

22. - Top - End - #412
    Titan in the Playground

Sometimes you just gotta turn your brain off and embrace whatever over the top insanity a manga/anime/<insert media> offers.
    I knew w, I am a fan of both 40k and JJBA.

...once I catch up on JoJo.

I think theres an actual documentary out there about such a team from real life baseball, where they were doing terrible, sat down, completely re-thought the traditions of the game versus the actual rules, and instead of anchoring their game on a couple of star players at each job, got everyone to the level of like 70-80% of their best players at everything, and suddenly their team was so versatile they went on a rampage for years before the rest of the sport caught up.
    Well that's not cricket!

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

23. - Top - End - #413
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Well that's not cricket!
    How astute of you.

... Cricket is like, a sport, right? Its something you lot on the other side of the pond do?
    Last edited by Keltest; 2024-05-20 at 01:43 PM.

24. - Top - End - #414

To be clear, they are capable of team-work, they're just all operating under the assumption that they are all the playmaker badass striker. Also it's a very stupid show but like, like, very enjoyable so it's fine.

Here is a taster.

Especially in many sports manga! But that's part of the fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    So I finally got caught up on Zodis' streams, then spent like ten minutes trying to figure out what colors various Owl House characters would be in Lorcana.

I don't know Lorcana at all but I know MTG wise that Eda is 100% a heroic Grixis colour identity character. She is black/red/blue and going to beat you to death with her staff and or claws.

25. - Top - End - #415

I don't know Lorcana at all but I know MTG wise that Eda is 100% a heroic Grixis colour identity character. She is black/red/blue and going to beat you to death with her staff and or claws.
    Well. Lorcana is basically a simplified Magic-Alike. Players take the roles ofIlluminaries, who use magical ink refined from strdust to work spells and bring fictional characters to life. These characters can be canonical versions from specific points in the story or "what ifs" based on speculation or hypotheticals and some are corrupted by outside forces(though aren't nessesarily evil.) There can be multibles of the same individual and some individuals can be represented by multible colors—Mickey Mouse in particular has two ro three cards in every color.

A single illuminary however can only use one or two colors of Ink(IE, only cards of those colors in your deck.)

There six colors relating to gemstones and metal.

Amber is the color of selfless love and hospitality. Amber colored characters tend to be well-meaning types and amber magic focuses on healing and assistance. Mirable Madrigal is an Amber character.

Amethyst is the color magic and wonder. Amythest characters wiled powerful magic on their own, and Amythest magic has a great deal of depth to it. Think Elsa is an Amethyst

Emerald is adaptable. Not necessarily intelligent, Meerald characters are quick-thinking and likely to land on their feet and their magic is versatile... But there are also a lot of tricksters and manipulators here as well. Hades is an Emerald character, but so is Megera.

Ruby is the color of courage. ruby characters are brave, but often get in over their heads. Ruby magic is very direct. Flynn Rider has a Ruby card.

Sapphire is the color of creativity and intellect, such characters tend to be explorers and planners. Ariel is a sapphire character.

Steel is all about physicality. Steel characters tend to be strong and tough. Hercules is a steel character.

But of course, there's overlap. Lots of characters have multible cards and not every character perfectly matches the color they're assigned to.

the obvious conclusion to me is that most of the major characters in the Owl House would be Amythest or Sapphire, as they end to be magically powerful, sometimes inherently so, and also studious or intellectually/academically gifted.

Like... In my head a card based on Season 1 Luz would be Ruby or Amber, season 2 would be Sapphire and Season 3 would be Amethyst. Willow would also be Amethyst but probably also has a Steel variant, Gus and Amity would both be blue but Amity would also have a Ruby card, Hunter would also have Ruby and Sapphire cards, Lilith would be pre-Sapphire, Eda would be Ruby, Sapphire, and Amber with Amethyst as a "what if" reflecting her in her prime before the curse robbed her of her power... Vee, probably Emerald. Very versatile abilities on this one, but Ruby is also a possibility as courage is not being without fear but acting in spite of it and Vee has two solid moments of confronting her fears to help others.

Camilia is pure Amber. She's a loving Mom who's doing her best and immediately steps up when people need her help, going above and beyond in the process, and... There's an Amber spell card that invokes Mufafa's appearing before Simba and giving him the "you can be more than you are" speech and the pep-talk Camila gave Luz in For the Future, the one that cured her depression, helped her reach an epiphany about herself, and made Stringbean hatch? Yeah, very much the same energy.

Belos would be Emerald for much the same reason that a lot of villains are Emerald: He's a manipulator. I can also see an argument for Sapphire, but he doesn't explore, study, or innovate for the oy of it but as a means to an end and the fact that he never discovered the Light Glyph despite it being clearly visible in the sky as a constellation is very telling.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

26. - Top - End - #416
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post

I haven't been learning programming as fast as I wanted, and instead been doing things like trying to figure out what Exalt types a bunch of FFXIV characters would be:
    Spoiler
    Show

Scions of the Seventh Dawn:
    Alphinaud: Chosen of Serenity
    Alisae: Chosen of Battles
    Urianger: Chosen of Secrets
    Tataru: Eclipse Caste
    Thancred: Full Moon Caste
    Estinien: Dawn Caste
    Y'shtola: Twilight Caste
    Krile: Twilight Caste
    Minfilia and Ryne: Zenith Caste
    Graha'tia: No Moon Caste
    The Warrior of Light: Either Dawn Caste or Casteless Lunar or Chosen of Endings depending on how you interpret their story role and how they function and all interpretations are valid (there is room for alt interpretations of ALL of them but especially the warrior of light)

Others:
    Zenos: Dusk caste
    Lord Hien: Zenith Caste or Fire Aspect
    Yugiri: Night Caste
    Gosetsu: Earth Aspect

as for Owl House Exalted headcanons:
    Luz: No Moon caste
    Amity: Twilight Caste
    and they are lunar/solar mates
    Eda: also No Moon Caste

or have been watching videos about cryptography and weird mysteries, did you know there an art piece called a Kryptos Code outside the CIA building that despite being made by an artist has evaded being fully cracked by cryptographers both professional and amateur since 1992? because there is.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

27. - Top - End - #417
    Titan in the Playground

... Cricket is like, a sport, right? Its something you lot on the other side of the pond do?
    Less of a sport and more of it's own culture really.

Show

28. - Top - End - #418

To be clear, they are capable of team-work, they're just all operating under the assumption that they are all the playmaker badass striker. Also it's a very stupid show but like, like, very enjoyable so it's fine.

Here is a taster.
    The guy even gets a battle aura when he makes that goal near the end. Glorious. It reminds me of Akagi. It's this manga/anime which dramatizes the hell out of playing Riichi mahjong (it is also the reason that I know how to play Riichi mahjong myself). Now, it helps a little that they play against hardened criminals (yakuza) so that the stakes are high, but it's still basically a more 'serious' Yu-Gi-Oh.

29. - Top - End - #419

I forgot to hit quote on Rater's thing but I want to say it was very interesting I'm just completely out of spoons today.

I haven't been learning programming as fast as I wanted, and instead been doing things like trying to figure out what Exalt types a bunch of FFXIV characters would be:
    Spoiler
    Show

Scions of the Seventh Dawn:
    Alphinaud: Chosen of Serenity
    Alisae: Chosen of Battles
    Urianger: Chosen of Secrets
    Tataru: Eclipse Caste
    Thancred: Full Moon Caste
    Estinien: Dawn Caste
    Y'shtola: Twilight Caste
    Krile: Twilight Caste
    Minfilia and Ryne: Zenith Caste
    Graha'tia: No Moon Caste
    The Warrior of Light: Either Dawn Caste or Casteless Lunar or Chosen of Endings depending on how you interpret their story role and how they function and all interpretations are valid (there is room for alt interpretations of ALL of them but especially the warrior of light)

Others:
    Zenos: Dusk caste
    Lord Hien: Zenith Caste or Fire Aspect
    Yugiri: Night Caste
    Gosetsu: Earth Aspect

as for Owl House Exalted headcanons:
    Luz: No Moon caste
    Amity: Twilight Caste
    and they are lunar/solar mates
    Eda: also No Moon Caste

or have been watching videos about cryptography and weird mysteries, did you know there an art piece called a Kryptos Code outside the CIA building that despite being made by an artist has evaded being fully cracked by cryptographers both professional and amateur since 1992? because there is.
    This is all very good but I feel like Zenos is a Lunar- or thinks he is or was a Lunar- after he's met the WoL.

The guy even gets a battle aura when he makes that goal near the end. Glorious. It reminds me of Akagi. It's this manga/anime which dramatizes the hell out of playing Riichi mahjong (it is also the reason that I know how to play Riichi mahjong myself). Now, it helps a little that they play against hardened criminals (yakuza) so that the stakes are high, but it's still basically a more 'serious' Yu-Gi-Oh.
    If you like Akagi at all please watch its parent show Kaiji: Ultimate Survivor. You will not be disappointed.

Well. You'll be disappointed in Kaiji the guy, but not like... the show. Zawa zawaaaa.

30. - Top - End - #420
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Apparently UK laws forbid electrical outlets in the bathroom.
    Strictly speaking, no. The rule is that you can't have a power socket (except a shaver socket) closer than 3 meters from the edge of the bath or shower.

Of course, most bathrooms in the UK are somewhat less than three meters in size before you even factor in the bath or shower...
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee