New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

Default Re: The Wreck of the Harmonious Spirit (D&D 3.5 IC)

Quote Originally Posted by CircleNavigator View Post
    Pangs of hunger awaken the party one by one, the land outside still in the depths of night. A full eight hours have passed, those who partook in sleep are well rested. The morning light is still some hours away. Their hiding place remains undiscovered throughout the night. Taknorogan's allies have not yet made their appearance. Naomi's watch is quiet and uneventful. From the hidden entrance she can see chains crisscrossing the canyon overhead. Some anchored into canyon walls while other heavier chains appear to be hammered into sturdier stone atop the cliffs. Naomi remembers the tracks she found earlier. Leading to a footpath ascending the ridge.
    Out into the cold darkness Naomi gazes, the same static scene enclosing her in a liminal space. Deep into her watch, a bellowing call breaks the monotony. From her elevated position, peering into the night, the party's scout sees a large shadow dart between the zigzaging cliffs to enter the canyon. A loud crash follows the sound of scattering rocks, from a failed attempt by the creature to climb to safety. Another haunting call reverberates off the encasing stone. This time much closer and more distinct, like a large deer or moose. Naomi hears the roars and snarls of a trio of predatory cats, closing the distance with their prey. A great snow elk, more than seven feet at the shoulder, with a span of pointed antlers twelve feet across, gallops into view. Pursued into a box canyon with nowhere to flee, a fight begins. The mighty creature tossing one of the pale white sabre-toothed tigers into the air. A pair of powerful cats, twice the size of a lion prepare to pounce on the trapped animal. Who calls desperately for help from the herd from which it has been separated.

Naomi has a surprise round. She is undetected, concealed, and has cover. The entrance to the cavern is a gradual slope to the canyon floor, Naomi may move normally across all squares.

Battle Map
    Last edited by CircleNavigator; 2024-05-14 at 01:01 PM.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Breitheamh View Post
    Skar notices the Orc drifting into sleep as Utra answers for him. A logical assumption, certainly.

But with Taknorogan's exclamation upon waking, Skar bolts up from his seat and responds to the Orc in Druidic.

Spoiler: Druidic
    Show
    "You learn much in your sleep, then? Your dreams speak to you, as the wind to me?"

"I am believing we can be trusting this man. His sleeping wisdom is speaking well to I."
    “Making useful one's dreams is a skill like any other.” Taknorogan responds to Skaruvus in the primordial language of nature. “As is I imagine, listening to the wind.” Though it may seem there is much in common between them, further conversation reveals a shared point of balance on one axis, with a stark differentiation on the other. Taknorogan speaks of wielding nature as a weapon. Pondering using his control of the storms to enforce loyalty in his followers. The words of a tyrant flow naturally from his mouth.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

Grabbing her bow and arrows kicking some rocks at her comrads quietly urging them to look towards where the big cats have the great elk.
    Taking aim at the closest of the big cats letting loose her arrows at the beast

4. - Top - End - #124
    Firbolg in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Past

Djin's mouth open wide as his eyes, bring his index finger up as if a revelation falls upon him.

"By the way, Utra, forgot about divination. Use it. Scratch it, use all your spells if you have to before we recharge. It is the perfect timing, and we are safe here."
    Last edited by Yas392; 2024-05-15 at 08:39 AM.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Skar considers the Orc's words and demeanor, realizing that while they could be allies, they were likely to come at odds again at some point.

"It is being good to be knowing what happens at the ship.

I am thinking that the dragon is being a danger to them if it is not being trapped and Those Who Cut Skin are tracking it in this way."
    Spoiler: My Homebrew
    Show

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

Town Square execution.

Fistful of Fate character: Aereck Tarrinsen

6. - Top - End - #126
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by samduke View Post
    Grabbing her bow and arrows kicking some rocks at her comrads quietly urging them to look towards where the big cats have the great elk.
    Taking aim at the closest of the big cats letting loose her arrows at the beast
    Bright red feathers affixed to the end of a pair of well crafted arrows, streak across the night sky. One flying wide, while the other embeds itself deeply into the side of the attacking animal. Causing a howl of pain and surprise from the enormous cat. Aided by unseen allies the great elk is granted another chance at life. Lowering its head, muscles twitching beneath its leathery hide, a single hoof kicks back a swath of debris. Twin geysers of breath exhale from nostrils as big as a fist. Switching from offence to defence the predators circle and crouch. A low guttural growl is shared between the trio of hunters. Snouts raised into the air searching for scents.

Smilodon takes 6 Piercing damage
    Health 91%
    Last edited by CircleNavigator; 2024-05-15 at 03:05 PM.

7. - Top - End - #127

AssassinGuy

Djin undresses and dips into the hot spring.

"Ya'll should dip in this pool. Makes you yummier and smooth. I already love the sound of my voice."

As his body half submerges, he cleans his body again.

"Skar, Utra, whatcha gonna do to check on caps and ship? Send Surreth or divine the future?"
    Last edited by Yas392; 2024-05-15 at 12:15 PM.

8. - Top - End - #128

Quote Originally Posted by Breitheamh View Post
    "It is being good to be knowing what happens at the ship.

I am thinking that the dragon is being a danger to them if it is not being trapped and Those Who Cut Skin are tracking it in this way."
    A danger to us as well. Utra nods, all calm still. Do your rites have, mayhaps, some strong oaths. Binding ones, hm. she wonders on aloud. If we cannot trust the Orc, we may trust his vanity, so to say. Have him swear something he'd be loath to break.

Quote Originally Posted by Yas392 View Post
    Djin undresses and dips into the hot spring.

"Ya'll should dip in this pool. Makes you yummier and smooth. I already love the sound of my voice."

As his body half submerges, he cleans his body again.

"Skar, Utra, whatcha gonna do to check on caps and ship? Send Surreth or divine the future?"
    As for other matters. she seems to inspect the ceiling again for a moment, once Djin has spoken. Divination is more versatile than you give credit for, Master Djin. Not fortune telling, there are, hm, approaches more dirtect… how far away they left the the ship, again? She tries to run a few quick calculations, falling suddenly silent, as she leisurely rises and approaches the back end of the cave, sliding wordlessly into the pool herself (it is a resource, with effects worth examining from up close indeed), evidently barely bothering to pay attention to her surroundings – but the numbers are not to her liking.

She could try to Levitate up, gain a vantage point. Throw the sensor out far away. With favourable weather, movement, at least, could be observed. Patterns. But then, her eyes are not an eagle's. However, she speaks up again, suddenly. we can, mayhaps, do both. A combined approach. Given an eagle's speed, she gestures along which I can enhance… Surreth can make the approach. Observe, return. A matter of hours, Master Skaruvus willing. she pauses, briefly, letting the heat of the water soak into her minute form. It certainly is pleasant. She'll have to take samples, to see what dry matter it has. I can talk to beasts, and read an eagle's mind for images as readily as Taknorogan's. she finishes her proposal for a course of action.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
    She could try to Levitate up, gain a vantage point. Throw the sensor out far away. With favourable weather, movement, at least, could be observed. Patterns. But then, her eyes are not an eagle's. However, she speaks up again, suddenly. we can, mayhaps, do both. A combined approach. Given an eagle's speed, she gestures along which I can enhance… Surreth can make the approach. Observe, return. A matter of hours, Master Skaruvus willing. she pauses, briefly, letting the heat of the water soak into her minute form. It certainly is pleasant. She'll have to take samples, to see what dry matter it has. I can talk to beasts, and read an eagle's mind for images as readily as Taknorogan's. she finishes her proposal for a course of action.
    Wet rocks underfoot are coated in a thin slime of organic material, mixed with water and dissolving stone. The ground's uneven spacing and slope make navigating into the pool potentially dangerous. One slip could send Utra down the narrow gap, off a precipice of unknown depth. Between she and her goal lay a vast array of natural spikes, ominous, like a lethal trap or the massive jaws of some great cave beast. Beneath even the farthest reaching stalactite she easily passes. Rewarded for her effort, into the water Utra slips. Echos amplify near the back of the cave, surrounding the halfling with a constant cacophony of drips and plops. Drowning out the sound of nocking arrows and baying animals.
    Last edited by CircleNavigator; 2024-05-15 at 10:39 PM.

10. - Top - End - #130

AssassinGuy

"I don't know about the knick-knacks of third eye and yadda yadda's. If speeding up Surreth and sending him to check the cap is the best option, might as well do it."

Djin cups his hands, dipping into the spring to get a handful of water. He erects his hands and upends the water, splashing the liquid down his face with a purr.

11. - Top - End - #131

Eyes half shut set on the fascinating arrangement of mortal dangers ahead, Utra lies back and relaxes. Clairvoyance does happen to involve creating what you could call a temporary organ for vision, albeit one external to the body. You could, mayhaps, call it a third eye, hm. she replies with a slow calm to her voice, low enough to barely echo. And the approval is surely welcome, Master Djin. the Halfling adds, the tone unchanging. How about you, Master Skaruvus. Surreth is key to this affair, after all.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

"I can be sending Surreth to the ship for the scouting. It is being a simple thing."
    Spoiler: My Homebrew
    Show

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

Town Square execution.

Fistful of Fate character: Aereck Tarrinsen

13. - Top - End - #133

Wonderful. Utra nods to the cave wall. We shall see to that much, then, once we are done with these, hm, ablutions. Until then, she figures, they might as well think ahead. If Taknorogan is to be released once Surreth returns, they should want to make sure he will not change his mind or priorities. Naomi seemed pleased with the idea of taking his weapons, but he might do as much harm, if not more, through spellwork. Whatever focus he has for casting must then be located and removed… That, and further: What do you think of what I said earlier, hm. she addresse the Druid once more. Do you, mayhaps, know of such oaths, as to bind the Orc to us.