New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default D&D One - Tools for DMs

I admit, I have not been following the development of D&D One. However, I do recall that they seemed to be concerned about DMs being the ones to buy books, and no one else.

There solution appears to be to push people to VTT and AI DM so everyone has to buy stuff to participate. However, I have not been following close enough to know if this is accurate.

However, my selfish desire is to get more people to DM/GM in TTRPGs. Has there been any discussion in the development of D&D ONE about how they plan to make it easier to become a DM for D&D for an in-person group?
    *This Space Available*

2. - Top - End - #2
    Spamalot in the Playground

Default Re: D&D One - Tools for DMs

Quote Originally Posted by Easy e View Post
    There solution appears to be to push people to VTT and AI DM so everyone has to buy stuff to participate. However, I have not been following close enough to know if this is accurate.
    There is no AI DM.

Their VTT, like many others, will likely include cosmetic microtransactions players can purchase like virtual tokens/minis, spell effects, and so on.

Quote Originally Posted by Easy e View Post
    However, my selfish desire is to get more people to DM/GM in TTRPGs. Has there been any discussion in the development of D&D ONE about how they plan to make it easier to become a DM for D&D for an in-person group?
    Yes, Kyle Brink discussed that last year. Their plan seems to be to have integrated VTT offerings that automatically connect to DnDBeyond so that new players who want to try DMing can just open up the VTT and be ready to play - i.e. having all the maps, encounters etc pre-loaded for them for minimal prep time. And because it's tied to DnDBeyond's character builder and dice roller, the new GM doesn't have to spend time auditing their players' sheets and monitoring their rolls.

Maps is the 2D VTT that we can currently use with a Master Tier subscription (only the DM and anyone sharing their books needs that, the other players don't need a sub.) It has another advantage of working entirely within a browser, similar to Owlbear Rodeo, and thus allowing players to play from any device like a cellphone or even a console, whereas other VTTs like Roll20 require at least a tablet if not a full on PC. The idea here is to lower the barrier to entry further as a group of friends can just whip out their phones to play D&D instead of needing to lug their laptops and/or books around.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: D&D One - Tools for DMs

Thanks for the info. As I said, I was not following the dev that closely.
    *This Space Available*