New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: The Noctuary (D&D 3.5e, Level 20+ Adventure)

Quote Originally Posted by Aegis013 View Post
    Good luck to all of the applicants.
    Agreed. Once I finalise my sheet I will take a look at the others to see what people are running with. I don’t want to get tips from others while I am still finishing my sheet. I look forward to it, as I have been following the discussion thread and there sound to be a lot of good sheets.

2. - Top - End - #362
    Colossus in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Eilyra is indeed good to go(Barring spell selection and maybe some itemization changes, which will be finalized after selection to ensure balance is kept.), and fully able to work with any party(It turns out that maintaining relationships long term is a good idea.).

I do not envy the challenge you are going to be facing soon. There are quite a few excellent character to pick from.
    Last edited by Archmage1; 2024-05-13 at 09:38 AM.
    Spoiler: Current Character List:
    Show

John Smith, Playing in the Dollhouse
    Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    Grok Magmaforge, Iron Crisis
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss
    Ileana, Godlings

3. - Top - End - #363
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

The table links to Verik’s sheet correctly, but his build is now Sorc 7 / DArc 5 / FS 4 / Marsh 1 / AC 3.

One rules question that I have, but maybe it should be decided during the power tweaking: How does the Demonwrecker’s Spell Smite interact with Arcane Fusion? In other words, if he uses a Spell Smite and then casts Arcane Fusion, does the Smite apply to both of the spells he will then cast within the Fusion? Or, does he have to instead use a Smite to affect just one of the spells within the Fusion?

This looks like it will be a good game. Good luck to all.

4. - Top - End - #364
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

Quote Originally Posted by chaincomplex View Post
    OK, I'm closing to further interest. Thanks for all the interest so far!

Just as a quick check, I'd like everyone interested to please make sure the character table is up to date for your submission.

You'll have another half-week or so to mess around with your character while I continue to look at sheets. I'll give my thoughts and pick a slate of players SoonTM.
    still interested, my sheet is up to date

5. - Top - End - #365
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Still interested, I should have everything but gear finalized on Snixithrax and One Ear should be completely ready.
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    Survived Total War: Mandate of Heaven as The Witch-Doctors
    Thrived in Empire! 7 as the Sakura-Jin

6. - Top - End - #366
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Domo is ready except for 50k gold and two feats, hoping it is fine to leave that open to be selected if picked. I resisted the temptation to make another character using that awesome class "midnight occultist" (but mainly because i had a rough week at work last week).

7. - Top - End - #367
    Bugbear in the Playground

Syana is ready, though if selected I fully intend to tweak her based on the final party.
    "Even gods must learn to control their tempers, lest they set a bad example."
    The Malazan Book of the Fallen, Steven Erikson

8. - Top - End - #368
    Ogre in the Playground

Good luck, everyone!

9. - Top - End - #369
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

I'm really digging/ loving my scrub, so fingers crossed.

My character would gravitate to this dude: Varis of Tyr LN Mul Psion 3/Wizard 1/Cerebremancer 6/Mind Mage 10
    I love Dwarves, hehe, even a half breed one (I'm also a fan of Dark Sun, even if Athas.org has fubar'd up some of its rules etc.
    Although he is missing his Languages!.)

I'm liking your choice of Goddes, Myria Demesne NG Synad Psion 7/Planar Vanguard 10/Arch Psion 3 (Akadi).
    One mention though: Knowledge (local) is regionally specific, unlike Knowledge (Geography).

I'm liking this one too (lol): Syana, Seeker of the Dragonsong NG Changeling Bard 7/War Weaver 5/Recaster 5/Sublime Chord 2/Sacred Exorcist 1 (except for her Turn Undead ability, heh...)

Rhys of Watersdeep LE Human Wizard [Conjurer] 5/Zhentarim Skymage 5/Dreadmaster 10, He is missing a specificied craft on his craft skill, :)
    Last edited by Burning Spear; 2024-05-13 at 06:43 PM.
    GNU Sir Terry Pratchett

10. - Top - End - #370
    Barbarian in the Playground

Other than 1.5 of the templates are missing from the build stub, don’t see anything off, although I assume that was probably intentional

11. - Top - End - #371
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by kinem View Post
    One rules question that I have, but maybe it should be decided during the power tweaking: How does the Demonwrecker’s Spell Smite interact with Arcane Fusion? In other words, if he uses a Spell Smite and then casts Arcane Fusion, does the Smite apply to both of the spells he will then cast within the Fusion? Or, does he have to instead use a Smite to affect just one of the spells within the Fusion?
    I'm of the opinion that it applies to both spells since arcane fusion specifies that both spells are cast effectively as one spell. That said, we're running again into the problem: if a spell hits multiple times, do on-hit bonuses apply to each hit? My ruling has so far been no to prevent fell drain magic missile from being a thing.

Fortunately the Demonwrecker Arcane's Spell Smite ability specifies that this bonus can't be gained more than one per casting. So the interpretation re: arcane fusion above applies. Casting arcane fusion is just casting one spell. That spell happens to consist of two spell effects but you're only getting the damage bonus once.

Unless you can think of a good reason why it should work another way, this is my read of RAW.

12. - Top - End - #372
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I was planning on using fell drain with either magic missile or scorching ray. But I figured they would all have to hit a single target, and would only affect that target once per casting. I have never tried a fell drain build before, so please let me know if that is still too much, or if it will be okay. Otherwise I will just cast Enervation to weaken the enemy. I have never really played a debuffing character. I am not totally committed to building around fell drain, so if you prefer I will drop that feat entirely.
    Last edited by paradox26; 2024-05-15 at 08:59 AM.

13. - Top - End - #373
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

CC: That’s my interpretation as well. Or rather, similar to Metamagic, Smite can be applied to AF as a whole, or to an individual spell within it if you wanted to.

Smite does apply the extra damage up to once per round (it’s poorly worded).

It raises another question though: In order to be eligible for Smite, a spell has to require an attack roll AND has to deal damage. So for example Ray of Clumsiness is not eligible and neither is Wings of Flurry. Is an AF of the two eligible? If so, does the extra damage apply to all targets of the Flurry or to one, and if one, which one?

14. - Top - End - #374
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Here's what I could find on the Fell Drain and other similar effects from earlier in the thread:

I've settled on an interpretation. Effects land once per casting per round per target. I don't know if anything breaks here but it seems to result in sensible outcomes for Fell Drain, so it should apply to Cold-Blooded too.
    If I'm reading it correctly, Fell Drain Magic Missile or Scorching Ray will be powerful in target rich environments, but against a single foe, Enervation will win out handily. Especially if you apply whatever metamagic you were going to put on Scorching Ray onto Enervation, since it's also a Ray.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thatwarforged View Post
    You sir are a True Pirate Lord.

15. - Top - End - #375
    Ogre in the Playground

Side question : how about spells that deal ability damage? It's still damage, after all.
    Last edited by remetagross; 2024-05-15 at 12:55 PM.
    VC XV, The horsemen are drawing nearer: The Alien and the Omen (part 1 and part 2).
    VC XVI, Burn baby burn:Nero
    VC XVIII, This is Heresy! Torquemada
    VC XX, Elder Evil: Henry Bowyer

And a repository of deliciously absurd sentences produced by maddened optimisers in my extended signature

16. - Top - End - #376
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by remetagross View Post
    Side question : how about spells that deal ability damage? It's still damage, after all.
    I'm not sure there's sufficient context to know quite what you're asking. The general rule is damage stacks, but penalties don't. Thus multiple castings of, say, Lahm's Finger Darts would keep doing Dex damage (if not resisted) until the target is reduced to 0 and becomes Paralyzed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thatwarforged View Post
    You sir are a True Pirate Lord.

17. - Top - End - #377
    Titan in the Playground

still interested

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Cazero's Graduates Of Hope's Peak - Danganronpa Mafia

Quote Originally Posted by Xumtiil View Post
    An Abattoir Vecna, if you will.
    My Homebrew

18. - Top - End - #378
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aegis013 View Post
    I'm not sure there's sufficient context to know quite what you're asking. The general rule is damage stacks, but penalties don't. Thus multiple castings of, say, Lahm's Finger Darts would keep doing Dex damage (if not resisted) until the target is reduced to 0 and becomes Paralyzed.
    It was about Spell Smite. The Demonwrecker class feature says "you gain a bonus equal to your primary spellcasting ability modifier (Intelligence for wizards, or Charisma for sorcerers or bards) on your attack rolls and damage rolls". So, If I cast a Smiting Lahm's Finger Darts, does that mean that I'm going to deal 1d4+Int Dex damage?
    VC XV, The horsemen are drawing nearer: The Alien and the Omen (part 1 and part 2).
    VC XVI, Burn baby burn:Nero
    VC XVIII, This is Heresy! Torquemada
    VC XX, Elder Evil: Henry Bowyer

And a repository of deliciously absurd sentences produced by maddened optimisers in my extended signature

19. - Top - End - #379

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by remetagross View Post
    It was about Spell Smite. The Demonwrecker class feature says "you gain a bonus equal to your primary spellcasting ability modifier (Intelligence for wizards, or Charisma for sorcerers or bards) on your attack rolls and damage rolls". So, If I cast a Smiting Lahm's Finger Darts, does that mean that I'm going to deal 1d4+Int Dex damage?
    Probably not. Complete arcane confirms that sneak attack on weaponlike spells that deal energy drain or ability damage have the bonus damage being negative damage.

I have found references to a ruling in Tome & Blood that may be more general, but I don't have a copy of that, so I can't confirm. However, as adding bonus damage to ability damage gets extremely powerful very quickly, it should probably only apply to hit point damage unless otherwise stated.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss
    Ileana, Godlings

20. - Top - End - #380
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I have decided to preemptively nerf myself and get rid of the Fell Drain feat and effect. If I want to debuff people, I will do it with Enervation.

21. - Top - End - #381
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Archmage1 View Post
    However, as adding bonus damage to ability damage gets extremely powerful very quickly, it should probably only apply to hit point damage unless otherwise stated.
    I agree with that and I think the RAI is just for hp damage.

CC: Re the table: Verik took only 4 levels of Fatespinner, not 5.
    Last edited by kinem; 2024-05-16 at 07:42 AM.

22. - Top - End - #382
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

I'll be the first to admit that probably not isn't an unequivocal no. Chaincomplex will have to weigh in on the topic for us to be sure about if/how Demonwrecker's damage increase affects spells that deal ability damage. At least for this game.
    Last edited by Aegis013; 2024-05-16 at 07:38 AM.

23. - Top - End - #383
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

I'm happy I didn't touch/ look at such highly debatable Arcane Feats, lol.
    GNU Sir Terry Pratchett

24. - Top - End - #384
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I had never heard of fell drain until a few days ago, when I saw it in a guide.

25. - Top - End - #385
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

I am sticking with simple tested and tried divinations to aid the group etc.
    GNU Sir Terry Pratchett

26. - Top - End - #386
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I am largely avoiding divinations because it tends to make the DMs job much harder.

27. - Top - End - #387
    Orc in the Playground

Alright I have made my selections. Apologies to all who didn't make it. I know drafting up a 20th-level character is a lot of work, I hope this was salved somewhat by not requiring too many fine details.

• Syana from namo
    • Lorwyn Suaril from Chambers
    • Aeric Hartford from Taelas
    • Varis of Tyr from paradox26

I will just say the most difficult choice was whether to find a way to fit in Professor Reginald Ventnorwall. In the end, I elected against it. Sorry to get your hopes up, I know an artificer-friendly game can be very rare.

Alright, for those of you selected, head on over to the OOC.

https://forums.giantitp.com/showthre...e-Noctuary-OOC

28. - Top - End - #388
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

O well, bugger O.o

Would be nice if we could find a second full Dm who'd be willing to run a game with some of the left-over players
    Last edited by Burning Spear; 2024-05-17 at 12:59 AM.
    GNU Sir Terry Pratchett

29. - Top - End - #389
    Titan in the Playground

I will just say the most difficult choice was whether to find a way to fit in Professor Reginald Ventnorwall. In the end, I elected against it. Sorry to get your hopes up, I know an artificer-friendly game can be very rare.
    Eh no worries. I'll keep an eye on things in case someone drops or smth.

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Cazero's Graduates Of Hope's Peak - Danganronpa Mafia

Quote Originally Posted by Xumtiil View Post
    An Abattoir Vecna, if you will.
    My Homebrew

30. - Top - End - #390

GreenSorcererElf

Congratulations to those selected, and if you find yourselves needing another player or two, I'd be happy to get a PM.

Enjoy the game!
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss
    Ileana, Godlings