New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Thief Rogue/Artillerist Artificer help

I'm going to be building a spymaster type build, so far I've decided on:
    Artillerist Artificer 3/ Thief Rogue X

V human

I was planning on reflavoring my Eldritch Cannon as a pistol/magic crossbow and all my spells as either gadgets or superhuman agility or something of that nature.

How would you optimize this? Is it reliable in combat?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Thief Rogue/Artillerist Artificer help

What are you looking for from the rogue levels?
    what is the point of living if you can't deadlift?

All credit to the amazing avatar goes to thoroughlyS

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'd probably take 1st level in artificer for the con save and armor proficiencies and go for feats similar to the Arcana cleric frontliner, mostly using the protector version of the cannon. You won't get (or want) Shillelagh, so you'll be dex-focused and attacking w/ a dagger, but can skip taking Magic Initiate, get Shield from artillerist, and should be dealing more damage if you can consistently sneak attack.

Arcane trickster is a more optimal subclass choice, so you can stack spell slots from artificer. Battlesmith is probably a better choice than artillerist (SAD, rapier), but would benefit from more artificer levels so your construct doesn't die all the time
    Last edited by Hairfish; 2024-05-11 at 01:27 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Activating the Eldritch Cannon takes an action.
    Firing it takes a bonus action. So does using Cunning Action, which is about 40% of the rogue's kit.

I really don't see any synergy here.
    Things published on DM's Guild
    Campaign Logs:
    Baldur's Gate 2 (ongoing)
    Castle Dracula (Castlevania)
    Against the Idol of the Sun (high level hexcrawl)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Id optimize by dropping rogue and going full artificer, using tashas with a race that normally provides weapon proficiencies like elf or dwarf to trade for a bunch more tools that artificer gives you expertise in. If you want skill expertises then theres a feat for that rather than going into rogue, especially since the artillerist kit will largely get in the way of sneak attack and cunning action.
    Last edited by Kane0; 2024-05-13 at 01:13 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

ClericGuy

The Eldritch Cannon cannot trigger sneak attack, so there isn't much synergy between the classes.
    Quote Originally Posted by ad_hoc View Post
    Don't waste time making rolls on things that aren't interesting. Move on and get to the good stuff.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by greenstone View Post
    The Eldritch Cannon cannot trigger sneak attack, so there isn't much synergy between the classes.
    There is a few things that work well together but most of it doesn't come online until later on.

Like the spell story item is usable by fast hands as long as you don't put it into a <magical> item which changes the action type. Since it's not casting it's one of the few ways where you can constantly get multiple spells off a turn or combine it with other actions.

Coming action is just generally a good feature even if you have a stacked bonus action but armorer is noticably lacking one.

Battle Masters are really good at generating advantage for themselves and have a "permanent" flanking buddy for sneak attack.

None of these are particularly worth delaying artificer for but they aren't bad either. It's just that it has one of the best class progress to a point any multiclassing is something you doing purely to fulfill a very specific character image.
    what is the point of living if you can't deadlift?

All credit to the amazing avatar goes to thoroughlyS

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

So I'm getting I should change Artillerist to Battle Smith?

Hmm.. I was going for a Spymaster/Corvo theme. Eldritch Cannon has more versatility than a clunky behemoth that won't be able to heal considering I'm only planning on taking 3 levels of artificer.

Anyone got any background recommendations? Or possible feats down the road? I was planning on taking poisoner at first level bc of V human.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Armorer Artificer gives you a INT-based, lightning damage weapon with longbow range that you don't need hands to use and works with sneak attacks, plus an extra 5' movement speed and advantage on your stealth checks. It's pretty good for a rogue.
    For feats, some good ones to consider are Fey/Shadow Touched, Alert, Observant, Telekinetic and Telepathic. Poisoner, Skill Expert, Mobile and Skulker are also decent if you have the right game to use them in.
    Roll for it
    5e Houserules and Homebrew
    Old Extended Signature
    Awesome avatar by Ceika