New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Psycarnum Blaster

Quote Originally Posted by loky1109 View Post
    You can create mindblade only once per round. (((
    Actually 100% wrong and it's not your fault. The SRD cuts part of the description that explains the once per round limit is for attempts in an NPF.

He can make only one attempt to materialize the mind blade per round, however (if, for example, he must make a Will save to materialize it within a null psionics field).
    The word "attempt" is a throw back to those rules. Once you know the context it seems pretty obvious right?

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Darg View Post
    Actually 100% wrong and it's not your fault. The SRD cuts part of the description that explains the once per round limit is for attempts in an NPF.

The word "attempt" is a throw back to those rules. Once you know the context it seems pretty obvious right?
    Hm. It still seems pretty ambiguous.
    If you could make anything and everything welcome to the Zinc Saucier XLV: Figaro

My competition's medals.

Spoiler: For purposes of clarity
    Show
    1109 is September, 11 - my birthday.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

Okay. Go to MIC.
    Spell Storing exists only in Melee Weapon Properties list (p. 240).
    But about Lucky I wasn't true. It exists in both lists.
    Funny you would mention MIC, considering the new weapon properties in that book specify right at the top whether it's a Property: Weapon, or Property: Melee Weapon, or some other limitation. In that book we can find the following:

Illusion Theft
    Property: Weapon
    This ability functions like the spell storing property (DMG 225)...

Compare that to one that can only hold Vampiric Touch which is a melee touch spell:

Bloodstone
    Property: Melee weapon
    A bloodstone weapon can store and cast a vampiric touch spell against a creature it strikes, just as if it were a spell storing weapon (DMG 225)...

Thus we can conclude that being limited to melee weapons is not inherent in the Spell Storing property, regardless of what the quick-reference index in MIC may lead you to believe.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

Hm. It still seems pretty ambiguous.
    Really? It's a separate ability from Mind Blade and putting a limitation on how many times Free Draw can attempt to penetrate a NPF seems appropriate. Otherwise there'd be no point to having the negation at all (why bother when free actions are, well, free). You can still use your move and standard to attempt to materialize from the mind blade feature.

As a move action, a soulknife can create a semisolid blade composed of psychic energy distilled from his own mind.
    The blade can be broken (it has hardness 10 and 10 hit points); however, a soulknife can simply create another on his next move action.
    Even in places where psionic effects do not normally function (such as within a null psionics field), a soulknife can attempt to sustain his mind blade by making a DC 20 Will save. On a successful save, the soulknife maintains his mind blade for a number of rounds equal to his class level before he needs to check again. On an unsuccessful attempt, the mind blade vanishes. As a move action on his turn, the soulknife can attempt a new Will save to rematerialize his mind blade while he remains within the psionics-negating effect.
    At 5th level, a soulknife becomes able to materialize his mind blade as a free action instead of a move action. He can make only one attempt to materialize the mind blade per round, however (if, for example, he must make a Will save to materialize it within a null psionics field).
    Based on the verbiage and the parenthetical, it should be pretty blatant what the sentence is saying. The only time "attempt" is ever used is in reference to materializing or sustaining a blade in a null psionics field. If you aren't in a null psionics field there's no need to "attempt" anything, you just do it and it happens. Outside of a NPF using the word "attempt" would be improper use of the word itself because it's guaranteed.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Saintheart View Post
    Wand or custom item of Threesteel (DoF)? The spell can't be cast on artifacts, natural weapons, weapons animated with animate objects or similar spells, or weaponlike magical creations (such as Mordenkainen's sword). Happily, Mind Blades and even the enhancements are all (Su) effects and thus explicitly nonmagical, and they function in all ways except visually as a short sword. Even launches 3 copies of the mind blade at an enemy and gives it a +1 to attack and damage.
    Supernatural abilities ARE Magical. They aren't spells, but they're explicitly magical.
    You're thinking of Extraordinary abilities, I'd guess.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

6. - Top - End - #36
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by pabelfly View Post
    Strongheart Halfling
    Soulknife 1/Fighter 1/Paladin of Freedom 2/Soulknife +1/Soulbow X
    Strongheart are FR content, but it is very nice, thank you

7. - Top - End - #37
    Barbarian in the Playground

Not sure if this build advice will be useful, hust my own thoughts on what I would do.

If you do take levels of incarnate, I would not pick up psycarnum blade. The bind sighting gloves would give a better bang for your buck, and the insight bonus to damage would not stack, this would also free up needing to take precise shot.
    If shedu crown to bind would let you get mindsight feat and soul bows phase arrow is a classic trick.(not sure if shedu crown would qualify though)

Another option might be warblade, as noted in the archery handbook (https://minmaxforum.com/index.php?topic=18320.0) there are a nice spread of maneuvers that do not require you to hit with a melee attack.
    So a warblade 2/soulknife 2/soul soulbow 7/warblade x could be fairly strong.

And I don't think it was emphasized enough but soulbows "bow" is considered a one handed weapon for attacks unlike normal bows, so as pointed out gloves of the balanced hand, and other twf/mltwf bonuses will let you maximize bonus damage by getting more attacks. Though actually taking the feats is a very big trap.

In that way going psiwar(or some other combination of power using classes) I highly recommend getting metamorphosis in some way for a form that natively has a lot of limbs.
    It is a bit more investment, but has nice payoff.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

I mean, it's possible to get some benefit out of it if you focus on single attacks at the expense of full attacks. Spring attack/shot-on-the-run for example let you move using the attack action which frees up your move action to charge psychic strike/psycarnum blade. Though, in this case it is a pretty expensive chain of feats for the outcome. Personally, soulknife getting both feats for free would probably have been a real life saver for the class as psychic warrior is literally soulknife with open selection feats and powers. The only advantage soulknife really has mechanically is that they save 162,000 gp by level 20. Not an insignificant sum by any stretch of the imagination, but when other classes can get the same effect for 50,000 gp and a 50,000 gp wand with 50 charges it kind of makes the feature really subpar.

Gah, went on a tangent. I'll try to maybe figure out a way to maximize that alpha strike. One theory I have involves the fact that many shot only uses a single attack roll to exploit the language in GPS/PB.