New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Ionathus's Random Banter #249 -- Directionless Rambling Is Now Mandatory

Gale is just classic wizard hubris guys, I don't know what to tell ya. guy looks at ancient long ago wizard doing same thing he's doing and failing and figures he's just built different or something.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

2. - Top - End - #242
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: Ionathus's Random Banter #249 -- Directionless Rambling Is Now Mandatory

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Devil's Advocate: Gale's biggest driving force is to get right back into the abusive relationship he was in, the the point that when he considers killing himself when she says "kill yourself".
    Gale is dying anyway, and not in a "we're all mortal" way. And it's his own fault. You can hardly blame him for at least wanting to go heroically if the opportunity was there. Heck, it was already his plan if he couldn't feed the orb, just with a smaller target.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

3. - Top - End - #243
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    Gale is just classic wizard hubris guys, I don't know what to tell ya. guy looks at ancient long ago wizard doing same thing he's doing and failing and figures he's just built different or something.
    He's a classic self insert wizard, albeit one that is now actively facing consequences for doing stupid protagonist stuff. It's why I suspect playing as him makes him actually bearable.

Like Gale is the modern version of a male human fighter on the run because the king took offence to his boasting.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

4. - Top - End - #244
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Well I wrote Chapter 11 in my Dungeons & Dragons: The Dragoon Family story today.
    It's time to get my Magikarp on!

5. - Top - End - #245
    Troll in the Playground

I think the thing I like about the party's Tragic Backstories™ in BG3 is the way the party's circumstances overlap which basically carry a theme of being unwillingly bound to the service of a more powerful being, and the ways they cope with it and have been forcefully changed by it. Which just ties into the themes of the main plot (i.e. the threat of that) in so many ways!

Spoiler: Spoilers for the character backstories
    Show
    Obviously you have the obvious ones like Karlach having a demonic motorbike engine in her chest cavity, Astarian being a vampire spawn and Wyll getting tief'd by his Patron. But then there's the more subtle ones like Shadowheart and Lae'Zel being gaslit by their gods (whose service they were raised in), and Gale being pressured to straight up kill himself for the greater good.
    Hi, I'm back, I guess. ^_^
    I cosplay and stream LPs of single player games on Twitch! Mon, Wed & Fri; currently playing: Fallout: New Vegas (Mon/Wed) and The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (Thurs or Fri)

6. - Top - End - #246
    Ogre in the Playground

This discussion reminds me that I really need to play BG3 at some point. I keep putting it off, thinking I'll save it for when I have more time (since it's the type of game that's likely to swallow me whole) but I might've forgotten that I'm an adult and all that free time is unlikely to magically appear.

7. - Top - End - #247
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

We're going to a baseball game this week as part of a work thing.

A lot of people joke about baseball being boring, though that's kind of what I like about it. It's not the most dynamic sport but there are always a couple of neat moments, and it gives you a good chance to sit and talk and enjoy nice weather.

8. - Top - End - #248
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ionathus View Post

A lot of people joke about baseball being boring, though that's kind of what I like about it. It's not the most dynamic sport but there are always a couple of neat moments, and it gives you a good chance to sit and talk and enjoy nice weather.
    Oh, you should really give Cricket a go

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

9. - Top - End - #249
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ionathus View Post

Let's go Yankees!

10. - Top - End - #250
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    Yes. As Peelee said there are non-coffee drinks and sandwiches at Starbucks.

Thank you, friend.
    Sweet. I'll be sure to try one when I'm near a Starbucks.

You're welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    I didn't realise Heinlein posted here!
    Sorry, that reference escapes me.

11. - Top - End - #251
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

I hate paperwork both physically and electronically. Today I went to see my doctor and have a Men's Group Therapy Session a new hospital rule that I have to sign paperwork every time I visit to see my doctor. It's ****ing irritating.

12. - Top - End - #252
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TaiLiu View Post
    Sorry, that reference escapes me.
    Stranger in a Strange Land. Just.... that entire book.

Although annoyingly the polyamorous martian philosophy sex cult is strictly heterosexual. Booooooooooo!

Show

13. - Top - End - #253
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Stranger in a Strange Land. Just.... that entire book.

Although annoyingly the polyamorous martian philosophy sex cult is strictly heterosexual. Booooooooooo!
    I used to like Heinlien, but then I read Farnham's Freehold.

Apparently he didn't even understand why it was terrible.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

14. - Top - End - #254
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Oh, you should really give Cricket a go
    Let's go Cricket!

15. - Top - End - #255
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post

I read the wikipedia article on that book and it made me think of the movie The Producers but like backwards. Like, in The Producers they need the play to close after one show so they deliberately put on an offensive and racist play but they do it so badly that it just comes off as funny. Whereas here Heinlien has tried to write an anti-racist book but executed it so poorly that it ends up coming off as offensive and racist
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

16. - Top - End - #256
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

polyamorous
    strictly heterosexual.
    ...how does that even work? They hate half the people in their polycule?
    Yes, I am slightly egomaniac. Why didn't you ask?

Free haiku !
    Alas, poor Cookie
    The world needs more platypi
    I wish you could be

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari
    Also this isn’t D&D, flaming the troll doesn’t help either.

17. - Top - End - #257
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cazero View Post
    You don't have to hate someone just because they're your metamour.
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

18. - Top - End - #258

I would imagine like links in a chain. A given chain link is not as a rule linked to the links that the links it is linked to are linked to

EDIT:

links don't link to links linked links link

EDIT:

Buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo

EDIT

((Buffalo buffalo) (Buffalo buffalo) buffalo) buffalo ((Buffalo buffalo) (Buffalo buffalo) buffalo)

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    I hate paperwork both physically and electronically. Today I went to see my doctor and have a Men's Group Therapy Session a new hospital rule that I have to sign paperwork every time I visit to see my doctor. It's ****ing irritating.
    I despise paperwork. Half the time they're asking for information that they have easier access to than I do
    Last edited by Bohandas; 2024-05-15 at 03:05 AM.
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

19. - Top - End - #259
    Ettin in the Playground

Link and Lonk were asked by Princess Zelda whether they would use "had" or "had had" in a certain sentence. Link, while Lonk had had "had" had had "had had." "Had had" had had a better effect on the princess.

EDIT: The variation with the Fish-and-Chips Sign is basically the natural language equivalent of Leaning Toothpick Syndrome.
    Last edited by enderlord99; 2024-05-15 at 03:42 AM.
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

20. - Top - End - #260
    Titan in the Playground

No it just never occurs to the martian free love cult based on alien ideas of free love and such that people of the same sex can have a relationship. because written by Heinlein.
    Last edited by Lord Raziere; 2024-05-15 at 04:57 AM.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

21. - Top - End - #261
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post

I haven't but from what I've heard burning it is considered insulting. What did that poor fire do to you!?

Really awkward group sex. Plus an idea that gay men hate masculinity.

No it just never occurs to the martian free love cult based on alien ideas of free love and such that people of the same sex can have a relationship. because written by Heinlein.
    Considering at least some of his love interest characters are 'men it's okay for me to **** because they're actually women' I've yet to be convinced that he wasn't a repressed bisexual.
    Last edited by Anonymouswizard; 2024-05-15 at 07:05 AM.

22. - Top - End - #262

Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    Link and Lonk were asked by Princess Zelda whether they would use "had" or "had had" in a certain sentence. Link, while Lonk had had "had" had had "had had." "Had had" had had a better effect on the princess.

EDIT: The variation with the Fish-and-Chips Sign is basically the natural language equivalent of Leaning Toothpick Syndrome.
    Fish and chips sign?
    Last edited by Bohandas; 2024-05-15 at 08:36 AM.

Omegaupdate Forum

23. - Top - End - #263
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bohandas View Post
    Fish and chips sign?
    "Wouldn't the sentence 'I want to put a hyphen between the words Fish and And and And and Chips in my Fish-And-Chips sign' have been clearer if quotation marks had been placed before Fish, and between Fish and and, and and and And, and And and and, and and and And, and And and and, and and and Chips, as well as after Chips?"

24. - Top - End - #264
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mx.Silver View Post
    "Wouldn't the sentence 'I want to put a hyphen between the words Fish and And and And and Chips in my Fish-And-Chips sign' have been clearer if quotation marks had been placed before Fish, and between Fish and and, and and and And, and And and and, and and and And, and And and and, and and and Chips, as well as after Chips?"
    Yeah, that one.
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

25. - Top - End - #265
    Bugbear in the Playground

Hung up some more wall art today to cover up some holes and slight wall damage (why repaint when I can just cover it up? :D). Occult + cyberpunk themed stuff. Now my walls aren't almost bare anymore and my apartment is finally taking on a bit more personality.

26. - Top - End - #266
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Bohandas View Post

I despise paperwork. Half the time they're asking for information that they have easier access to than I do
    Yes. It's so annoying. I feel like this is the work of Tiamat.

Anyway yesterday, I wrote Chapter 12 of my Dungeons & Dragons: The Dragoon Family story.

27. - Top - End - #267
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Form View Post
    Hung up some more wall art today to cover up some holes and slight wall damage (why repaint when I can just cover it up? :D). Occult + cyberpunk themed stuff. Now my walls aren't almost bare anymore and my apartment is finally taking on a bit more personality.
    Hell yeah. You've gotta show us those!

28. - Top - End - #268
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Hell yeah. You've gotta show us those!
    Spoiler: Cyberpunk tarot
    Show

The fool:

The tower:

I also have a cyberpunk variant of the tarot card The World, but I haven't quite yet decided where to put that one. Probably in the entrance hallway where The Tower is also located. The Tower is right in front of the entrance door, so it's the first thing anyone sees on entering.

I kind of regret not getting the gloss variant of these? These are matte, which results in less glare but also has less vibrant colors. Eh, good enough.

Spoiler: Star chart
    Show

Spoiler: Goetic demons
    Show

Marbass, Glasya-labolas, Astaroth & Stolas. All associated with knowledge in some way. Except for Stolas I guess, he's associated with astronomy, which is still a kind of knowledge! I don't remember exactly which is which.
    Last edited by Form; 2024-05-15 at 12:20 PM.

29. - Top - End - #269
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Form View Post
    Spoiler: Cyberpunk tarot
    Show

The fool:

The tower:

I also have a cyberpunk variant of the tarot card The World, but I haven't quite yet decided where to put that one. Probably in the entrance hallway where The Tower is also located. The Tower is right in front of the entrance door, so it's the first thing anyone sees on entering.

I kind of regret not getting the gloss variant of these? These are matte, which results in less glare but also has less vibrant colors. Eh, good enough.

Spoiler: Star chart
    Show

Spoiler: Goetic demons
    Show

Marbass, Glasya-labolas, Astaroth & Stolas. All associated with knowledge in some way. Except for Stolas I guess, he's associated with astronomy, which is still a kind of knowledge! I don't remember exactly which is which.
    God those are all so cool...

30. - Top - End - #270

Anyone else watch Helluva Boss?

Omegaupdate Forum