New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Ionathus's Random Banter #249 -- Directionless Rambling Is Now Mandatory

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    The thought occurs to me that Zodi's seagull was basically forming a cargo cult.
    Doin' a bad job of it, all the other seagulls seemed to dislike the customer.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    yeah crows are really intelligent, the stories I've heard are things like one trying to give money to a food stand seller for food, and another story says they gather around a corpse of crows to investigate it like a murder.

birds man, most likely animal to become sapient next.

I've finally finished FFXIV Stormblood yesterday leveling Samurai, switching to Dark Knight to level up to hopefully play Shadowbringers as that class one day, but I'm not sure if Shadowbringers will ever become free, programming will take time to learn and I don't have a source of income yet. love the red samurai outfit I got the end of the class quest though, really makes that classic ronin look work.

other random thought I've been having today: cyberpunk as a genre seems to oversimplify the world into megacorps and random criminal gangs on the street, which doesn't really match up with what I see of our world which is full of organizations and people outside of that paradigm with their own beliefs and concerns, but maybe I haven't read enough cyberpunk to know it beyond its steroetypical depictions.
    You're right but also I look at news of octopi doing all the **** they do, our growing understanding of dolphin minds, and orangutan's making medicine, and am like "naw that might have already happened".

Hell yeah FF14!

Yeah fiction tends to simplify things.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Ionathus's Random Banter #249 -- Directionless Rambling Is Now Mandatory

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Well, forcibly insomuch as he really wanted to anyway, but yeah. Book 5 releases in just a few more months, and i hear they've optioned the film rights.
    Honestly I'd have said a radio drama would have worked better than a film, at least for the first book.

On the cyberpunk thing, fiction basically has to simplify to make stories concise and understandable to a broad audience. Also sometimes to make a point more easily.

It's why most fiction has everyone lined up into 'with MC' and 'against MC' categories.

Side note: an idea I had for a queerish fantasy novel has evolved into 'knight falls from grace, winds up travelling with an adventuring party/lesbian polycule, has lots of sex, and learns how she should stand up for more than the "normal" even when she doesn't understand'. I might have issues.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

3. - Top - End - #213

yeah crows are really intelligent, the stories I've heard are things like one trying to give money to a food stand seller for food, and another story says they gather around a corpse of crows to investigate it like a murder.

birds man, most likely animal to become sapient next.
    Don't forget that murders of ravens have been observed semi-recently forming bonds with packs of wolves. Leading them to carcasses to tear open, playing with them. Even evidence of emotional bonds between specific wolves and specific ravens.

So yeah, birbies are domesticating other animals.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Honestly I'd have said a radio drama would have worked better than a film, at least for the first book.

On the cyberpunk thing, fiction basically has to simplify to make stories concise and understandable to a broad audience. Also sometimes to make a point more easily.

It's why most fiction has everyone lined up into 'with MC' and 'against MC' categories.

Side note: an idea I had for a queerish fantasy novel has evolved into 'knight falls from grace, winds up travelling with an adventuring party/lesbian polycule, has lots of sex, and learns how she should stand up for more than the "normal" even when she doesn't understand'. I might have issues.
    With streaming bringing the audiobook back in a big way, I'm not sure that radio plays are really where adaptations would go. I listened to the whole series, a radio play wouldn't really do it for me. Not that I'm terribly interested in a film version, gotta admit.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 1

5. - Top - End - #215
    Titan in the Playground

With streaming bringing the audiobook back in a big way, I'm not sure that radio plays are really where adaptations would go. I listened to the whole series, a radio play wouldn't really do it for me. Not that I'm terribly interested in a film version, gotta admit.
    I dunno, the radio drama is still the best version of The Lord of the Rings ever released. Bill Nighy makes a perfect Sam, I wonder why the films didn't cast him...

I also highly recommend the Earthsea one the BBC did about a decade ago. And their Lovecraft adaptations, I cannot describe just how amazing those are. In fact just download BBC Sounds and binge the radio dramas.

Good Radio Dramas are different experiences to audiobook, especially good ones which use as little narration as possible. The original ones are generally a safer bet, but adaptations can also be excellent.

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

6. - Top - End - #216
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
    I'm somewhat saddened to hear that the customer never got their pizza, though. Fortunately, these guys are extremely resourceful (and also probably very happy (my first ever exposure to seagulls was hearing them vocalize in unison from a hotel room; for a moment there, I was absolutely certain a group of very loud people were laughing together for some extremely nefarious reason)), but it's still rude to ignore someone like that.
    Encouraging the sky-pests just leads to them getting bolder and bolder. Tourists humoring the birdies is why the rest of us have to deal with them begging for and/or quite literally stealing the food from your hands year round.

7. - Top - End - #217
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Because you killed all the bears and wolves, thus removing the natural checks on the deer population?
    Nah, there are still ticks.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

8. - Top - End - #218

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    Encouraging the sky-pests just leads to them getting bolder and bolder. Tourists humoring the birdies is why the rest of us have to deal with them begging for and/or quite literally stealing the food from your hands year round.
    While I would certainly curse and scream if it happened to me I feel like at the end of the day if a bird steals food from your hands they kinda earned it, that's a high difficulty pickpocket check. It's also just really funny.

9. - Top - End - #219
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    While I would certainly curse and scream if it happened to me I feel like at the end of the day if a bird steals food from your hands they kinda earned it, that's a high difficulty pickpocket check. It's also just really funny.
    Pickpocketing implies you didnt just watch them grab it and run. It was a mugging.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

10. - Top - End - #220

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Pickpocketing implies you didnt just watch them grab it and run. It was a mugging.
    Mugging requires some degree of threatened or acted-upon violence. Is there a word for just, brazenly swiping something from someone mid-bite and bolting? My sleepy morning brain suggested pickpocketing but that's like, clearly straining the definition.

11. - Top - End - #221
    Ogre in the Playground

Snatch theft seems like the closest human equivalent, I think.

12. - Top - End - #222
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Happy Mother's Day everyone. Today is a difficult day for me because my mother passed away in 2011 from Type 2 Diabetes.
    It's time to get my Magikarp on!

13. - Top - End - #223
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Form View Post
    NOT IF MY PEOPLE HAVE ANYTHING TO SAY ABOUT IT!

on your planet, draining your oceans
    Species don't last forever. When your people are gone, the sea will swallow it all. I am forcefully removed from the forums for anti-Dutch sentiments.

I like the strawberry acai lemonade. Don't go to often (i never drink coffee), but they have good fast food breakfast sandwiches - that's the drink I get off I grab breakfast from them.

Well, probably just the Irish. I'm going to very be very short here to keep things apolitical, but there's a joke that the greatest British achievement in understating things was the name "The Troubles".
    Thanks for the tip. If I'm at a Starbucks, I'll try the lemonade and the sandwiches.

Oh, I see.

I mean, because they loved each other. Their love was just a burning hatred for each other that made them never want to exist without the other. Also married people get special benefits in many situations.
    Oh, I see. I guess I've never felt love like burning hatred before.

He's been previously diagnosed with autism, but today his teachers—not psychiatrists, teachers, insisted that he also has ADHD and oppositional defiant disorder and wanted him medicated ASAP.

The kid is four. People who lack the qualifications to make this judgment want to put a four-year-old on what are essentially controlled doses of hard drugs because he won't sit still in a way that's convenient for them.
    That's really frustrating. Sorry for your cousin. I think conduct disorders have no real reason to exist and the fact that they do is consistent with the argument that psychiatry is really about control.

I mean, because of medical and logistical reasons. For example, for a medical reason, let's say a patient has isolated precautions. Ideally, they don't want anyone visiting the patient. It is highly likely to be medically harmful to either the patient, the visitor, or both. An exception for immediate family might be made to say goodbye. Exceptions might also be made for people the patient has specifically designated. The spousal privilege is simply a pre-existing standardized clearance that you don't need to make special arrangements for.
    I think this is too kind to the homophobic hospitals that hospital visitation and gay marriage laws were written to address. It was not too long ago that Janice Langbehn was prohibited from seeing her dying partner—and not for any medical or logistical reason, as I'm sure you know.

Because you killed all the bears and wolves, thus removing the natural checks on the deer population?
    Hence the need for human hunters, right? That's a good point.

Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
    I have some rather radical views on marriage that I thankfully cannot and, therefore, will not share here, so I'm good to leave it at that.
    Mass permanent marriage. Everyone is married to everyone else at all times.

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    Happy Mother's Day everyone. Today is a difficult day for me because my mother passed away in 2011 from Type 2 Diabetes.
    That's really hard. I'm sorry for your loss.

14. - Top - End - #224

Quote Originally Posted by TaiLiu View Post
    I think this is too kind to the homophobic hospitals that hospital visitation and gay marriage laws were written to address.
    I would agree, except I'm not arguing on that basis. I'm arguing on how the current American system is set up, and even then I have said (several times, at this point) that I'm not opposed to easement of restrictions being further expanded for poly marriages. That doesn't mean that there aren't actual medical/logistical reasons.

15. - Top - End - #225

That's really frustrating. Sorry for your cousin. I think conduct disorders have no real reason to exist and the fact that they do is consistent with the argument that psychiatry is really about control.
    That's going a bit to far. ADHD is a real thing, and if you have it and have it bad then these medications in the proper dosage will help.

The problem is that there is a bad habit of teachers wanting to dismiss any child that won't sit still or has trouble paying attention as merely having something "wrong with them" and wanting them medicated to make their jobs easier when honestly they're probably just being a kid. which is a problem, because Ritalin is almost identical in makeup and effect to cocaine, most other ADHD medications are literally amphetamines, and one called Desoxyn is literally just straight-up meth. Now there's a world of difference between taking this stuff as directed in pill format and shooting or smoking the hard stuff you bought from a shady dude behind the hardware store but it's still not the kind of stuff you want to be taking if you don't need it, ya know?

...Granted, there's an argument to be made that ADHD isn't so much a disorder so much as a natural variation. I saw a thing recently that extrapolated that 1 in 4 kids has at least some ADHD symptoms while the percentage is much lower for teens and adults resulting in debate on whether or not it is a result of overdiagnosis or people with more mild symptoms figuring out how to compensate on their own as they get older.

(it's almost certainly both.)

Though if we're being completely honest I'm not sure oppositional defiance disorder is a real thing. The symptoms are all motly some variation of not automatically deferring to authority(which there are a million and one valid reasons not and is also um, the default for a toddler) and I've seen it said that a significant number of people diagnosed with it are diagnosed with it because you can't legally diagnose someone with antisocial personality disorder until they're 18.
    Last edited by Rater202; 2024-05-12 at 09:49 PM.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

16. - Top - End - #226
    Titan in the Playground

I would agree, except I'm not arguing on that basis. I'm arguing on how the current American system is set up, and even then I have said (several times, at this point) that I'm not opposed to easement of restrictions being further expanded for poly marriages. That doesn't mean that there aren't actual medical/logistical reasons.
    Oh, I see. I misread you and thought you were making a general statement.

That's going a bit to far. ADHD is a real thing, and if you have it and have it bad then these medications in the proper dosage will help.

The problem is that there is a bad habit of teachers wanting to dismiss any child that won't sit still or has trouble paying attention as merely having something "wrong with them" and wanting them medicated to make their jobs easier when honestly they're probably just being a kid. which is a problem, because Ritalin is almost identical in makeup and effect to cocaine, most other ADHD medications are literally amphetamines, and one called Desoxyn is literally just straight-up meth. Now there's a world of difference between taking this stuff as directed in pill format and shooting or smoking the hard stuff you bought from a shady dude behind the hardware store but it's still not the kind of stuff you want to be taking if you don't need it, ya know?

...Granted, there's an argument to be made that ADHD isn't so much a disorder so much as a natural variation. I saw a thing recently that extrapolated that 1 in 4 kids has at least some ADHD symptoms while the percentage is much lower for teens and adults resulting in debate on whether or not it is a result of overdiagnosis or people with more mild symptoms figuring out how to compensate on their own as they get older.

(it's almost certainly both.)

Though if we're being completely honest I'm not sure oppositional defiance disorder is a real thing. The symptoms are all motly some variation of not automatically deferring to authority(which there are a million and one valid reasons not and is also um, the default for a toddler) and I've seen it said that a significant number of people diagnosed with it are diagnosed with it because you can't legally diagnose someone with antisocial personality disorder until they're 18.
    ADHD is generally considered a neurodevelopmental disorder, not a conduct disorder. Conduct disorders are disorders found in the Disruptive, Impulse-Control, and Conduct Disorders section of the DSM. They include ODD, Pyromania, and similar disorders. I don't think conceptualizing these tendencies as discrete disorders is very helpful.

But I agree with you more broadly. Antipsychiatry is flawed. Psychiatry has some utility for those of us suffering psychologically. But we also shouldn't underplay its utility as a form of control. In the US, Black people fighting for their rights were diagnosed with schizophrenia at a disturbing rate.

17. - Top - End - #227
    Firbolg in the Playground

Like in Futurama 2

In the US, Black people fighting for their rights were diagnosed with schizophrenia at a disturbing rate.
    Or possibly they're underdiagnosing politically active white people. To me most activists on both sides of the aisle come off as completely insane. I could give more detail but forum rukes forbid it. Suffice it to say that this strikes me as more of a white privilege thing
    Last edited by Bohandas; 2024-05-13 at 01:03 AM.
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

18. - Top - End - #228
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Thanks for the tip. If I'm at a Starbucks, I'll try the lemonade and the sandwiches.

That's hard. I'm sorry for your loss.
    Yes. As Peelee said there are non-coffee drinks and sandwiches at Starbucks.

Thank you, friend.
    It's time to get my Magikarp on!

19. - Top - End - #229
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bohandas View Post
    Like in Futurama 2

Or possibly they're underdiagnosing politically active white people. To me most activists on both sides of the aisle come off as completely insane. I could give more detail but forum rukes forbid it. Suffice it to say that this strikes me as more of a white privilege thing
    Oh, I’ve never watched it.

Metzl’s book isn’t commenting on contemporary events or politics. His book is centered around the 1960s. He argues that around that time, schizophrenia (which was originally a disorder heavily diagnosed for complacent white housewives) was reappropriated for Black civil rights activists. White privilege is, as always, a part of the story. But I think anti-Black racism and psychiatric coercion are more useful concepts here.

20. - Top - End - #230
    Titan in the Playground

I didn't realise Heinlein posted here!

...I've noticed a disturbing trend online of people suggesting that Astarion isn't okay with Durge also dating Halsin. This completely baffles me, Astarion was clearly expecting it to happen and if he cared he'd have spent less time workshopping his snarky comeback.

Like it's clear that Karlach has reservations, but Astarion doesn't care.

Show

21. - Top - End - #231
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I didn't realise Heinlein posted here!

...I've noticed a disturbing trend online of people suggesting that Astarion isn't okay with Durge also dating Halsin. This completely baffles me, Astarion was clearly expecting it to happen and if he cared he'd have spent less time workshopping his snarky comeback.

Like it's clear that Karlach has reservations, but Astarion doesn't care.
    Astarion has been deeply traumatized, especially regarding romance. Just because he says one thing doesnt mean he actually necessarily means it, even if he doesn't realize it. Getting him to examine and verbalize his feelings about that stuff is part of his whole character arc.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

22. - Top - End - #232
    Titan in the Playground

Astarion has been deeply traumatized, especially regarding romance. Just because he says one thing doesnt mean he actually necessarily means it, even if he doesn't realize it. Getting him to examine and verbalize his feelings about that stuff is part of his whole character arc.
    Yes, but he also really doesn't care here (especially as he's at the point where he will stand up to you if you break his trust). Part of it is Halsin being open about having no intent on it being long term and having no desires to monopolise emotional intimacy. Astarion has a lot of trauma and issues, but seeing this scene also means you've had the opportunity for him to dump you from breaking his trust.

Astarion does have issues with other romance options, because they're a lot more threatening to what he doesn't want to lose.

Plus I just kind of ship Astarion and Halsin, they'd be adorable and Astarion kind of needs the support the big bear would provide. Plus once his better able to deal with his trauma both would be great dads.

Also the developer notes are that he's being genuine.

Show

23. - Top - End - #233

[character] has been deeply traumatized
    Ah, the Baldur's Gate 3 origin character backstory in a nutshell.

24. - Top - End - #234
    Titan in the Playground

Hey, be fair. Durge was the one inflicting the trauma in her backstory.

Oh, and Will's pretty much fine. His backstory model is 'tragedy of impulsiveness'.

Show

25. - Top - End - #235

Oh, and Will's pretty much fine. His backstory model is 'tragedy of impulsiveness'.
    Y would you spell his name that way?

26. - Top - End - #236
    Titan in the Playground

Y would you spell his name that way?
    The dangers of going for A Song of Ice and Fire stile names.

Show

27. - Top - End - #237
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Gale wasn't traumatized either, as evidenced by how he wants to keep poking things he shouldn't.

28. - Top - End - #238

Gale wasn't traumatized either, as evidenced by how he wants to keep poking things he shouldn't.
    Gale has perhaps the more traumatic backstory of all; he fumbled a literal goddess.

(this is mostly tongue in cheek)

29. - Top - End - #239

Devil's Advocate: Gale's biggest driving force is to get right back into the abusive relationship he was in, the the point that when he considers killing himself when she says "kill yourself".

30. - Top - End - #240
    Titan in the Playground

Gale has perhaps the more traumatic backstory of all; he fumbled a literal goddess.

(this is mostly tongue in cheek)
    To be fair Gale's got a ton of issues coming from the fact that he boinked Mystra. They're just mostly separate from his impulsiveness and lack of foresight, he has very little knowledge of how a relationship actually works and is TERRIBLE at expressing his interest (hence his reputation as a ninjamancer, many people brush past the hints that he links magic and romance).

As Astarion states the group is a bunch of weirdos. Which would be fine, but they're led by a Paladin who keeps stabbing innocents.

To to quote Belkar 'eh, the bear's probably fine'.

Show