New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Torchwood [IC]

1. - Top - End - #31
    Barbarian in the Playground

Planetar

Default Re: Torchwood [IC]

Altair sort of hovers near the chair for a moment, almost like he is trying to figure out how to use the thing, before finally finding a seat in it after a little bit of maneuvering and retracting the wing-like stabilizers from his back. Despite the lack of most facial features, something in his demeanor shows a clear appreciation for the fact that he is no longer the only person in the room wearing purple.

"I'd say good morning, but it occurred to me that I am not actually sure what time of day it is here."
    There are 1d20 types of people in the world: people that always roll natural 1 when it matters.

I don't know why, but I think more people have studied linguistics than I have.
    ...yes, the above sentence is in fact meaningless. But you did a double-take, didn't you?

2. - Top - End - #32
    Colossus in the Playground

"The sun is setting, so good evening would be most appropriate," she says, setting her quill in an inkwell. "I hope the past bit of time has not been too rough. I do understand that you are dealing with some sudden changes."

She consolidates the papers she's writing on, and moves them to one side before raising her gaze directly to you three. She starts with Altair. "You, I feel, have already made your mind up. You cannot go home, but you have the mind of someone who is willing to go beyond to help those who need it."

Then, Chelsea. "You are still thinking. But you are also the kind of person who wishes to help the helpless. I would imagine there is only a few more details to settle."

And finally, Liliana. "And you are the least sure. Understandable-while you have potential, you have not had any overtly supernatural experiences yet. Nothing like the other two."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    For Greenflame: I do know that Liliana had her tea party and that was supernatural. The Director does not-like was said, she likes to think she's got it all in her head, and while she is a smart cookie, she ain't perfect.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

Not very organized. Perhaps Torchwood that far from

Lilliana follows the group. Into the room. Climbing onto the chair and sitting on it. A bit more normal than before, but still far from straight. Legs crossed and pushing on the floor and sawing just a bit.

"Of course I'm hesitant. Your organization dosn't answer to the public, and given what you do, I would assume you don't answer to governments either. So then, who watches the watcher?" With the question up in the air, she put one of the cookies in her mouth.

Show
    and Lilliana doesn't know either, since that's accident from childhood, so she is confused

4. - Top - End - #34

Planetar

Altair's response comes after a bit of a delay.

"You know more about me than I expected...just how much of my memories have you examined? I won't hold it against you, but I am rather curious as it will give me a better idea of this world's technological level and...other sorts of advancements you might have available."
    There are 1d20 types of people in the world: people that always roll natural 1 when it matters.

...yes, the above sentence is in fact meaningless. But you did a double-take, didn't you?

5. - Top - End - #35

I keep having to actively concentrate to not make plants. Chelsea admits.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deme View Post
    One day, we must all have our characters butchered by romhacks face our ends.

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

6. - Top - End - #36

She answers each in turn. "Liliana, I understand your hesitancy. But would you rather see the world protected by humans, flawed as we might be; or conquered by beings with no humanity at all?" To Altair, she says "We've not delved into your mind-we simply pay attention to what you've said. Your words reveal plenty about yourself, especially since you have the feel of an honest person. This world, as a whole, is behind what we have here at Torchwood-we try to leak technology, mostly medical and logistical advances, as best we can though. And Chelsea, much as I would like you working with us, we do have ways to suppress your powers should you wish to return to your old life."

Show
    Show

Show

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

"Humans, more like a single human. And I'm a terrible judge of character, so I would rather not swear allegiance to your shadow government on that. That said, I have to make my mind either way. Heck, for all I know, the offer to go back to regular life is a travel to Zalem kind of deal." Lilliana replies, pay no attention to how increasingly obscure her pop culture references get.

8. - Top - End - #38

I.....I want to help. Chelsea says more firmly this time.

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

9. - Top - End - #39

"I'm not the only person who has authority here. I might be Director, but I am not without checks and balances. If you wish, though," she tells Liliana, "feel free to talk to anyone here. I won't choose who, as I'm sure you'd have a distrust of anyone I hand-picked to be spokesperson. As for you two..." she turns slightly to face Altair and Chelsea. "Welcome aboard."

Show
    Show

Show

10. - Top - End - #40

Planetar

He nods slightly.

"Hope to be of use. There isn't anything I can do for my old home...but I will do my best to protect this new one."

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

Liliana relaxes her feel, letting the chain fall, and leans forward. "That sounds fair."

12. - Top - End - #42

The Director smiles. "I am glad you feel that way. Go ahead and take a walk, find some folk to talk to, and we will speak again. Chelsea, you will need to do some work on getting your abilities better controlled. Altair, we are hoping you can offer some assistance with finding a way for you to be able to exist in society without causing a ruckus. You might only stick out a little here, but among ordinary folk, it will be much more problematic. And you will be wanting one of these," she continues, retrieving what looks like two smartwatches from a drawer in her desk. "These will help you navigate the facilities, contact other agents, and all manner of other things."

When you affix the watches, the screen brightens up. It seems they've been preloaded with directions-Chelsea can see her destination as Training Room Gamma, while Altair can see his directions are for Stellar Research Bay.

Show
    Loot, get! Torchwood Smartwatches! :P

Show
    Show

Show

13. - Top - End - #43

Chelsea will start to head towards Training room Gamma nervously.

14. - Top - End - #44

Planetar

"It...definitely would be jarring to see someone like me in a world where most people live unaware, yes. I had the benefit of never having to worry about that back home, but given the nature of my powers, I assume we can come up with something."

Altair nods respectfully and follows the directions to the lab.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground

Lilliana heads out. Stallings thought corridors, really following her heart more than any direction, as this whole facility looks about the same amount of unfamiliar to her. Eventually pick a door to swing open, and without even looking who is in the room and what they might be doing, yells. "What's up suckers"

16. - Top - End - #46

Chelsea goes up some stairs and enters a lobby area. There's two people, a man and a woman, sitting on chairs. They look tired, like they've been exercising hard. "Afternoon," the woman says.
    Her watch beeps, and looking at it shows instructions. Training Room Gamma is operated automatically. The wall panel will grant you access-select "Magical Resistance".
    She does so, and the panel chimes, with text appearing. Please wait for more trainees. ETA: Four Minutes.

The man looks over. "Hey, you know you've got grass at your feet?"

The Stellar Research bay is up, up, and up. Even with his new form, Altair can the stairclimbing wearing on him a bit. But surmounting the summit unveils a large laboratory, with a telescope at the center. There's a couple of folk about, tending to instruments and observing monitors. As you the door shuts behind him, he sees a rather large man approaching. "Hello there, chum!" he says, climbing small set of steps to the entrance landing. "Name's Davis Rucker. You're the reason we've got our new project, aren'tcha?"
    Davis is tall, easily seven feet, and his hand and arms look well-muscled as he holds one out for a shake.

Liliana wanders for a bit, and opens the door to yell at the occupants. Her voice echoes considerably, as when she pays attention, the room within is a hangar bay. "What?" someone nearby asks, taking off their earmuffs. "Sorry, repeat that?" he asks, his voice a little louder than he probably thinks it is.

Show
    Show

Show

17. - Top - End - #47

Planetar

"Good to have someone friendly about. There is something rather...stifling about highly-formal organizational tendencies."

Altair takes the handshake with a glove -- it's unclear whether there is anything substantial underneath it, of course, but it looks about as rigid as a normal hand would be.

18. - Top - End - #48

"Eh, some of us keep it relaxed. Natalie's pretty chill-but the director's got a stick up her rear when it comes to just about anything," he says. "Damn good at her job, at least. So, let's talk tech! How does your body work?"

He leads you as you explain to the best of your abilities towards some of the instruments.

Show
    Show

Show

19. - Top - End - #49

Yeah um.....I'm new at this.... Chelsea admits.

20. - Top - End - #50

"You're one of the new ones?" the man asks. "We haven't had anyone this overtly supernatural since Natalie came here."

Chelsea's look of curiosity is obvious, and the woman steps in to explain. "She's stronger than she should be-not so much 'bodybuilder' as 'Spiderman'. She could bench press all three of us with one hand, easy."

Show
    Show

Show

21. - Top - End - #51

Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    "You're one of the new ones?" the man asks. "We haven't had anyone this overtly supernatural since Natalie came here."

Chelsea's look of curiosity is obvious, and the woman steps in to explain. "She's stronger than she should be-not so much 'bodybuilder' as 'Spiderman'. She could bench press all three of us with one hand, easy."
    Ohhhh. I think I have.....choloromancy? Chelsea tries to think of the proper name for plant magic.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

"A dude, that's a lot ... anyway, I'm just checking up on ya. What are you breaking in here?" She leans to the side to see what's behind the person she is currently talking to.

23. - Top - End - #53

"Plant magic," the man says. "That's pretty nifty. Hey, maybe you can help me grow some flowers for the wife!"

The door to the lobby opens again, and two women walk in. The first women is tall, but not graceful. Gangly might be the best way to describe her. She carries a few implements-wands, rods, an orb... The second woman is much shorter, barely breaking 5', and has no visible tools.

With their entrance, the panel chimes. Enter appears on the screen and the door to the training room itself opens.

"Best of luck!" the average-looking woman tells Chelsea. The man tips his head, and the two leave.

As the three women walk for the entrance, the shortest of them looks to Chelsea. "You're training too, that's good. Clarissa needs someone besides me to practice with."

Behind the mechanic are a few small planes and a helicopter. They don't look unusual. "Hopefully nothing!" he replies. "We finally managed to get everything in working order. It's a hell of a job, keeping the planes and crap running with the paces the pilots put 'em through. Who're you?"

Liliana offers her name, and he nods. "James," he puts his hand out to shake.

Another man appears from the cockpit of a plane, where he's been working on something. "James! Help me get the tools out of this."

Show
    Show

Show

24. - Top - End - #54

Planetar

"My body is...well, it's almost closer to a pocket dimension than to a non-Euclidean container, simply due to the number of orders of magnitude by which the size of the inside differs from that of the outside. That said, it isn't separate from the rest of the Universe the way a pocket dimension would be. In a material sense, the stellar material is shifted in certain places to replicate the function of the sensory parts of a human body — otherwise, the structures I created that provide the stabilization in-atmosphere, gravity suppression, and radiation capture were created using matter that was present in my surroundings after the human part of me merged with the star part. Because the star is, in a sense, still there, the amount of energy I have at my disposal is...well, a lot. Using it all at once is not practical, of course, but if you need high-power devices to generate some sort of disguise, then that is definitely in the realm of possibility."

Altair describes how he is able to harness the ridiculous amount of energy present in the core of a type 0a+ blue-violet hypergiant in what quantities are necessary and then stores the rest of it in the form of matter using an energy-mass synthesis technique he perfected via the combined ideas of the human's and star's minds.

"It isn't some form of magical creation — just as the amount of energy that can be gained by mass conversion is immense, so too is the amount required to synthesize matter. This, however, means that I can effectively store energy I generate via fusion in the form of light elements. If I 'save up' so to speak, that does allow me to synthesize enough matter to create an object at human-level scale, but I won't be popping buildings into existence or anything like that."

As he continues to explain, he uses gestures that appear intended to demonstrate or give visual association, though it's more helpful when he conjures little light-shows at certain points almost as though animating it.

"I also don't really need to eat or breathe, though the occasional intake of water ensures I maintain a high concentration of hydrogen for peak efficiency. Humans release carbon dioxide when they exhale; I release helium, since that is the result of hydrogen fusion. As I already demonstrated, I am capable of feats many would consider magic, but they are firmly rooted in the laws of physics and won't do anything strictly impossible, like create something out of nothing or cause an object with nonzero mass to move faster than light," he admits, dubious as the notion is when the energy-to-mass synthesis would resemble creating something out of nothing to any normal person.

25. - Top - End - #55

Davis nods as he listens attentively. "Sounds like your reality may, in fact, be better tethered to the physical norm than ours. Director LaLonde can, as best we can tell, legitimately do things that should be impossible according to physics-teleport, make something from nothing, all that that you can't do. Hrm..." he lets out. "Well, my main task for the moment involving you is figuring out how to get this form into one palatable to ordinary society. We can stretch it a bit-Torchwood has some damn good SEP fields-but not THAT good."

When you voice your question as to what a SEP field is, he explains. "Someone Else's Problem field. Not invisibility-just inattentiveness. They can see you just fine, but they don't register you as anything important. Works best on things that aren't that remarkable to start. So, ordinary person? SEP renders them basically invisible. Me? I'd be a little less covered because I'm so damn big. You? Hoo boy, nope."

Show
    Show

Show

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

Lillian follows James, looking over thier machines. "This is quite a bit of heavy machinery. How do you even use them without getting attention of air trafic authorities?"

27. - Top - End - #57

Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    "Plant magic," the man says. "That's pretty nifty. Hey, maybe you can help me grow some flowers for the wife!"

The door to the lobby opens again, and two women walk in. The first women is tall, but not graceful. Gangly might be the best way to describe her. She carries a few implements-wands, rods, an orb... The second woman is much shorter, barely breaking 5', and has no visible tools.

With their entrance, the panel chimes. Enter appears on the screen and the door to the training room itself opens.

"Best of luck!" the average-looking woman tells Chelsea. The man tips his head, and the two leave.

As the three women walk for the entrance, the shortest of them looks to Chelsea. "You're training too, that's good. Clarissa needs someone besides me to practice with."
    What....uh...what can Clarissa do? Chelsea asks.

28. - Top - End - #58

Quote Originally Posted by Greenflame133 View Post
    Lillian follows James, looking over thier machines. "This is quite a bit of heavy machinery. How do you even use them without getting attention of air trafic authorities?"
    "Well, sometimes we slip them into the normal flight of things. Other times we just make sure no one notices the vehicles or what-have-you. Not really my department, you know, but you pick up on things," James replies. He grabs a ladder, tilting it against the plane. "Steady that for me, will ya?" he asks, and climbs it to help his coworker with the tools.

Once the cockpit is free from the unneeded implements, the other man looks over to her. "James, who is this?"

"Liliana," James tells him.

"And what is she doing here?"

James pauses a moment. "Hey, uh, what are you doing here?"

Quote Originally Posted by Illven View Post
    What....uh...what can Clarissa do? Chelsea asks.
    "Clarissa can-" the shorter woman starts.

"Speak for herself, thank you very much! I know I've got a lot of work to do, but come on," she says. "I'm currently an evoker-specializing in the kind of magic that you can use on short notice, directly, and with often kinda explody impact. I'm trying to work on other things, but... Well, magic isn't easy."

As the three talk, the door closes behind them. They're in a large, mostly open room. There are some punching bags against the wall, some training dummies, and some cutouts like you'd see at a shooting range. But, something else Chelsea notices as soon as the door closes, she feels just a touch less lively. If she looks down, she can see that her feet are no longer causing grass to sprout.

Clarissa continues, asking "What can you do?"

Chelsea tells her as much as she knows-which isn't much. The short woman nods. "New to this. Well, let's see if you can push it through the dampening field of the training room. Clarissa can, though she lacks control when she does."

Show
    Show

Show

29. - Top - End - #59

Planetar

"In fairness, I can do something that might seem like teleportation to one who is not paying attention. It's actually an effect of the high amount of mass I have present inside my body that lets me exert gravity on the fabric of space. But it still takes a nominal amount of time, since I have to bend space into the right shape so that I can connect the tunnel to the right location, then actually walk through it...I can't break the speed of light, but I can move space so as to make my destination closer to me than it normally would be, and thereby cover distances that would normally require faster-than-light travel. If you have ever watched or read any space opera, that tends to be a good starting point if you want to figure out what my limits are. If something is possible in theory to you, there's a solid chance it is, in fact, possible."

He gives a moment of thought about the SEP field.

"That sounds like the effect of the Worldly Veil my world had originally...but at non-global scale. I had been imagining some sort of light-distortion effect that could produce a false image, or divert light around me?"

30. - Top - End - #60

Chelsea starts with stomping her foot, then with a shonen power yell to end all power yells starts shooting vines from her fingers.