New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 43 of 44 FirstFirst ... 18333435363738394041424344 LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,290 of 1305
  1. - Top - End - #1261
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [WFRP] The Bloody Crown XIV

Urgrim

Urgrim scowled. “Don’t be hasty, Schreiber.” The words practically fell out of his mouth. “We’re not going oathless just yet.”

2. - Top - End - #1262
    Titan in the Playground

Manann’s Keep, 26th Sommerzeit

“We’re all with you,” said Hanna, firmly. She looked back at the Thorns around her. “Don’t know about you, but me - if I’m not helping steal people’s food, I feel less of a bandit than before, not more.”

The other Thorns nodded their agreement. They didn’t have long to talk, however. Quickly, Urgrim and Tatiana slipped away towards the southern edge of the encampment, while Jarla headed north, leaving Sieghard and the Thorns to stay out of sight. She soon fell in with others who were hastily trying to save what they could from the camp.

At the first they looked at her suspiciously. From her clothes to her speech, it was clear she wasn’t one of them - but with open hands and an open smile, she soon convinced them she wasn’t one of Sforza’s lackeys. As she spun the story of Sieghard and the Thorns’ defiance, she even thought she saw a glimmer of hope in the younger ones’ eyes.

They had a mule-cart that they had been loading with their meagre possessions, in which they agreed to make space to conceal Sieghard as they left the camp. He had to ride with Jost, a man in his sixties who had taken a pike-thrust to the leg - but while Jost sat as best he could in the open air, Sieghard lay covered up with the other cargo in the back of the cart. It would take far too long to remove his armour, and he was far too conspicuous not to conceal.

The Thorns stripped off their green jackets, and hid their crossbows with Sieghard under a heap of sacks. By now, Tilean voices could be heard approaching from the mill - willing to wait no longer, the frightened peasants whipped their mule into motion, heading north through the locust-ravaged fields of the Vale.

It was around an hour later that they dared to stop, satisfied that they were not pursued. Excavating Sieghard from the back of the cart, and returning the Thorns their weapons, they pointed the way towards the ragged fringe of the Thornwood to the west.

“Is it true, what she said?” asked Jost, hoarsely, as Sieghard stood up straight. “You cut one of them butchers down?”

“Never trusted them Tileans,” said another. “Swooping in to save us when old Evatt was already dead. He might’ve been mad as a fish, but the old Commander would never’ve done this.”

“Well, this is what it’s come to,” said a third, handing Hanna back the last crossbow. She looked Jarla squarely in the eye, and her voice cracked a little as she spoke. Jarla noticed her sleeve was stained with someone's dried blood - not, from the look of it, her own. “I don’t know who you are, or what chance you’ve got - but give those bastards hell.”

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Please feel free to continue this interaction timesplit if you want.

Wellentag, 28th Sommerzeit - Painford

Ludo

Late on Wellentag morning, a stranger from the south came through Painford. A lad of no more than twenty, his horse was in a lather from hard riding, and he had a leather satchel over his back that he guarded like it was full of gold, though he didn’t appear to be armed. He looked around him fearfully, as if he’d heard Painford was overrun with wolves.

Still, his horse looked spent, and he had to give it water, and rest. Seeing Ludo approaching, he composed his face into a thin smile.

“Hello there!” he said. “Do - do you have post horses here? I can pay.” He fished in his pouch for the coins, as if to prove it. “I’m - I need to get to the city. Fast as I can.”

Sieghard & Jarla

Hanna had led them the long way back to Painford, staying off the road among the cover of the trees. The Thornwood was not as shady or concealing as it had once been, its greenery chewed to the bark by the passing of the locusts - but still, it seemed wise not to risk word spreading of their whereabouts until they were safely home.

It was late afternoon when they first caught sight of the top of the old tower, rising above the denuded treetops. Sieghard was all ready to head straight for the village, but Hanna stopped to draw his attention to something. One of the Thorns had spotted fresh hoofprints in the dirt - a rider on horseback had been this way, mere hours ahead of them.

“Don’t often see riders off the road,” said Hanna, furrowing his brow. “Doesn’t look like they’re headed for the village, either. On this bearing, they’d be headed straight past it.”

Aubentag, 29th Sommerzeit

Elsa, Caerfort

Not much had happened in the time since Elsa had sent Urgrim and Tattie out on their mission, but her time in Caerfort had still been far from peaceful. Her dreams were troubled by the pages she had read of the Book of Nagash - every strange hieroglyph and diagram burned into her memory like a permanent scar. Though in her dreams the book was always the same, she couldn’t shake the feeling that she was not, waking each morning with swiftly-dissolving memories of being somewhere, or someone, else.

So it was a welcome distraction when, this Aubentag afternoon, a messenger passed through on the road. She was a young woman, and both she and her horse were covered in dust as if they had been riding for days. The Estalians made her welcome, giving her food and water and feed for her horse, and asking what her business was. She said she was carrying a message from the Steward of Manann’s Keep - one she’d been told to put directly into the hands of Lord Valdes himself. She’d rest here as briefly as she could, she said, and be off for Mirino the next morning…
    Spoiler: My Games
    Show

WFRP 2E - Tales of Perilous Adventure
    The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

Dark Heresy 1E - Wake of the Byzantium
    Episodes: I, II, III, IV, V

WFRP 2E - The Bloody Crown
    Threads: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X

3. - Top - End - #1263
    Titan in the Playground

Wellentag, 28th Sommerzeit - Painford
    Ludo had spent the preceding few days trying to distract himself from waiting for the red moon by applying personal dedication and skill to the problem of the rats, and had washed more than a few off the bottom of his battered frying pan. Stoutheart tended to solve all his problems by yapping, but the rats hadn't figured that out yet and so he had been good for at least driving them away.

At about second breakfast-time, or what should have been, he was chasing one particular specimen out from under Gavril's, and hastily tried to make himself presentable. "I'm afraid not, but we might have someone who can lend you one. We can probably stable your horse if you can wait overnight."

He looked down the road towards Manaan's Keep. "Any news from the south? Something wrong?"

4. - Top - End - #1264
    Titan in the Playground

Ludo, 28th Sommerzeit

"No!" said the lad, very quickly. "I mean, uh, no, I really can't say - stay! Herr Sussman, he... he said there was a whole crown in it for me if I could shave a day off the journey." He looked back at his horse, which had almost drained the water-butt outside Gavril's door dry. Not that it had held that much water to begin with.

"If you do know anyone who could - lend me a horse that is - you'd be doing me such a favour," he said. "I'd bring it back!"
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

5. - Top - End - #1265
    Titan in the Playground

The situation in Manaan's Keep was volatile, and any number of things could have happened, but Ludo's first thought was still What's Sieghard done now?

"Look, come inside and get some food and drink in you, you can spend an hour here while we find you a horse. An extra crown's no good if you fall off your horse halfway down the river road." He started to guide the young man towards Gavril's, thinking hard. "Is it something we could get someone else to carry the rest of the way?"
    Last edited by LeSwordfish; 2024-05-11 at 09:18 AM.

6. - Top - End - #1266
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard - 26th Sommerzeit

"Two," Sieghard said. "After the bastards turned their pikes on the crowd. And a couple more were felled by crossbows."

"I'll get your grain back if I can, but don't think it ends with that. Prince pig'll keep trying to bleed you to feed himself until either you're dead or he is. If you want to stop that, then my advice is to start talking to people and find whose willing to fight."

Spoiler
    Show
    Would it be possible to intercept the messenger headed through Caerfort? I mentioned being concerned they'd send one in my last post and was planning sending a small group to have that road watched, but we jumped a bit further ahead than I was expecting. I'd still like to have the road watched even if catching the messenger is impossible. The north road I though we'd be able to handle ourselves and if that messenger bypassed us, I don't see anything else that could've been done there.

28th Sommerzeit

"I was hoping we'd reach home before they could send a messenger..." Sieghard muttered. "Can you tell how fresh the track is?"

7. - Top - End - #1267
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard & Jarla, 26th Sommerzeit

The group looked around at each other, digesting Sieghard's words. None of them spoke against.

"And if we find them," said one of them - a young woman - "what then? Come looking for you?"

28th Sommerzeit

Ludo

"An hour. Yeah." The young man's nerves seemed so frayed that every word came out like an arrow from a bow. "And food... food would be good. Thank you." His hand strayed to the strap of his satchel. "I can't hand it over though. Herr Sussman's instructions. Said I had to put in - I had to deliver it myself."

Sieghard & Jarla

"Couple of hours," said Mort, the Thorn who'd found the tracks. "No more'n that. But looks like just one horse. Don't imagine they're travellin' too slow."
    Last edited by LCP; 2024-05-11 at 01:44 PM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

8. - Top - End - #1268
    Titan in the Playground

Elsabeth Holt

Elsa made herself as presentable as she could, given the short notice, and went out with Olga in tow to meet the messenger for a fireside chat. She felt it was important to show their guest that she was not the only woman around.

"Well met. I'm Magister Elsabeth Holt. Are you a courier by trade?"
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:
    Voyages of the Ghostlight (Risus)

Playing:
    The Bloody Crown (WFRP) as Elsabeth Holt, rogue pyromancer and court wizard

Quote Originally Posted by TheSummoner View Post
    Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    Ludo has a crowbar, if that helps.

9. - Top - End - #1269
    Titan in the Playground

Ludo gestured for an ale from Gavril and steered the young man to a seat. "Did you ride through the night? You must be exhausted!" He was talking on autopilot, thinking hard. Put in... Sforza's hand. Whatever's going on, Sussman has demanded the news gets to Sforza as soon as possible. And he's not this nervous because of a one crown bonus... was he told to be careful here specifically? Is he scared of us? Is this about Sieghard?

He put the ale firmly in the young man's hand. "Take a few deep breaths. We don't have much here, but I won't have it said we let a guest go hungry. What's your name, lad?"

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    This is an attempt to charm the man into calming down: (1d100)[62] vs idk, 92? something like that. Been a while.

Please let me know if you feel like I'm metagaming here: I'm trying to follow logic that will allow Ludo to take this as seriously as I know it is without him actually having my OOC knowledge, but if you think I'm taking liberties I'm happy to tone it back.
    Last edited by LeSwordfish; 2024-05-11 at 02:45 PM.

10. - Top - End - #1270
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard - 26th Sommerzeit

"No, I'll return here," Sieghard replied. "I wouldn't expect anyone you did find to take me seriously until after I've dealt with the rest of the butchers from the mill."

28th Sommerzeit

"He'll have to stop for rest at some point," Sieghard said. "And we've got fresh men and fresh horses of our own back in the village. Let's not let him gain any more of a lead than he already has."
    Last edited by TheSummoner; 2024-05-11 at 10:46 PM.

11. - Top - End - #1271
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard, 26th Sommerzeit

"Well," said the young woman. "Taal and Rhya watch over you, then."

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Will have to wait a little for Ludo before I can catch you up to him in Painford.

Ludo, 28th Sommerzeit

Ludo's manner seemed to put the young man at ease. Ludo could smell the sweat on him once they were inside Gavril's - he certainly smelt like he'd been riding through the night.

"Jander," he said, "Jander Lankdorf. You're very kind, Herr, uh..." - he trailed off, embarassed. "I'm sorry, I didn't ask your name."

He did seem calmer now, taking a sip of his ale. "I'll have one drink, a crust of bread if that's alright, and then I should see about being on my way. Do you know who we should ask about the horses?" he asked. "I mean, if there's none, I'm sure Lilli just needs a little bit of a rest. She's a good beast."

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I appreciate you being careful, but I think this is fine.

Elsa, 29th Sommerzeit

The woman seemed a little startled by Elsa. Perhaps she'd heard about the Prince's wizard - or perhaps she hadn't.

"Uhh, hello! My name's Molli." She swallowed. "Not by trade, no - just from time to time. Sometimes, you know, if you can ride a horse that's enough."
    Last edited by LCP; 2024-05-12 at 03:24 AM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

12. - Top - End - #1272
    Titan in the Playground

"Stubbs." Ludo said. It was hardly like there were any other halflings around for him to pretend to be, and Lankdorf's face might be revealing. "Ludovic Stubbs, of the Sermena Stubbs. I handle things while the Commander isn't here. Commander Sieghard? You might have seen him, he was in Manaan's Keep too." He dropped the idea as casually as possible, trying not to too openly study Lankdorf's face. "Let me get you that food. We'll also look after your horse for you - though I'm no ostler, I don't think she's going any further this afternoon."

Leaving Lankdorf he headed outside and flagged down Karla, the first Thorn he saw. "Get this horse into the Commander's stable, will you? And lock the door."

He looked around, doing a mental calculation of all the horses in the area. "Torsten's taken his old nag to Ravenskird... he's not going to try and ride Lumpin or Eloise's foal... if Arnold comes back with his, we might have a problem... and then some of the foresters."

A plan was coming to him, though he didn't like it.

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    The first step of Ludo's plan is to hold Lankdorf up for as long as possible, making vague promises and spinning wheels in the hope of thinking of something else, or getting an opportunity to look at the message that's being sent.

13. - Top - End - #1273
    Titan in the Playground

Elsabeth Holt

"Not by trade, no - just from time to time. Sometimes, you know, if you can ride a horse that's enough."

"A useful skill to have," Elsa opined. "We'll be sure the horse is well fed and well rested so you can have an early start in the morning. I see from the dust on you that you've been riding hard, so it looks like a pretty urgent matter."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.

14. - Top - End - #1274
    Titan in the Playground

Painford, 28th Sommerzeit

Lankdorf didn't react when Ludo introduced himself, but his reaction when Ludo mentioned Sieghard was unmistakeable. He nearly dropped his mug of ale down his front.

"Clumsy," he said, with a loud, nervous laugh. "I must be more tired than I thought." He cleared his throat, taking a long sip from the mug and setting it carefully down. "No, I... don't think I did see him. He's not back yet, then?"

He made no fuss when Ludo left him to his own devices. Outside, Karla knew better than to question why Ludo wanted a horse locked up. Ludo had time to make a quick circuit within the wall, making sure no very borrowable-looking horses were on display, and to poke his head back into Gavril's to 'check on' Jander again - still doing fine, blissfully unware he was being stalled - before he heard cheery voices shouting out from the south gate. Hanna's troop were returning, with Sieghard right among them. While the Thorns on duty were pleased to see them, they looked as if they'd been dragged backwards through a bush - and Sieghard's face looked anything but cheerful.

Elsa, 29th Sommerzeit

"Messages for his lordship in Mirino," said Molli. "Herr Sussman was very particular about getting there on time."

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    For OOC context - I'm playing this interaction out so that we know its outcome before Urgrim and Tattie arrive in Caerfort. If Elsa's planning anything, then we should proceed straight to that (and any rolls); if not, I can move things on.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

15. - Top - End - #1275
    Titan in the Playground

Ludo hustled out to meet Sieghard and the Thorns, looking around for Jarla and Urgi. His heart was glad to see them, but what he said was still "What have you done?"

16. - Top - End - #1276
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

Sieghard's glare was like ice. "If you know that much, I'm sure you could guess the rest. I cracked Corrado's skull and slit his ****ing throat." He was in little mood to explain and Ludo practically had to run to keep up with his pace as he made his way into Painford. Eventually after some more pressing he stopped and elaborated. "The bastard had his mind set on butchering people. Wasn't willing to try anything else. Refused to stand down. Someone threw a rock and he decided to slaughter the crowd as well. If that's how Sforza plans to rule, then **** him as well. I won't be part of it."

He glanced about the village for a bit. "That weasel Sussman sent a rider. We found his tracks just south of the village. He's got a lead on us, but not much of one. If we hurry, we can still catch him before he reaches the city."

17. - Top - End - #1277
    Titan in the Playground

"Stupid bastard," Ludo said, but muttered so Sieghard couldn't hear before jogging to catch up. "He's in Gavril's now, nearly rode his horse down getting here. I didn't want to let him leave."

18. - Top - End - #1278
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

Sieghard turned to Hanna and Mort. "You're sure it was just one horse? And that it looked like it would be heading [i]past[i] Painford and not through it?"

"That was smart," he told Ludo. "Maybe I should have a talk with our guest." and then to the other Thorns, "Watch the door. No one unfamiliar leaves the hostel."

Spoiler
    Show
    Sieghard is going to quickly change clothes (during which I assume Ludo will give him the rest of the details) before heading inside. He won't be hiding that he's a soldier, but he won't be making it obvious who he is.

Inside the Hostel

It was still a bit early in the day for many people to be in Gavril's hostel and Sieghard quickly spotted the stranger resting at the table by the far wall. "Herr Lankendorf, is it?" he asked, walking over and taking a seat opposite the man. "Ludo asked me to check in on you. Said you seemed exhausted and wanted to make sure you were ok."
    Last edited by TheSummoner; 2024-05-14 at 11:58 AM.

19. - Top - End - #1279
    Firbolg in the Playground

BlackDragon

Jarla (Painford)

Jarla smiled at Ludo, feeling someone should show more grace to their friends than Sieghard even his ill-humour was understandable. As Sieghard disappeared to meet with the mystery rider she looked the halfling up and down and gave a rueful shrug.

"Well I guess given I'm a rebel now at least I won't have to keep pretending to spy on you for Irene." Her mouth twitched in wry amusement. "I wonder what reward they'll put on my head. How are you anyway?"

20. - Top - End - #1280
    Titan in the Playground

Elsabeth Holt

"Hmm. Do you know if there's trouble over there?" asked Elsa gravely. "Because if there's a chance someone might commandeer my men to go deal with some matter, I need to know ahead of time, Molli."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Using Command to pry information, but I'm not 100% sure if it applies here. If not, use Charm (+10%) or straight Fel.

Target 49: (d100)[6]
    Fortune: (d100)[41]
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2024-05-14 at 10:36 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

21. - Top - End - #1281
    Titan in the Playground

It had taken long enough for Sieghard to change out of his travelling gear that Lankdorf was now fed and watered, and looked like he was itching to get going once again. He didn't appear to recognise Sieghard, but still looked at him uncertainly - Sieghard's was a less naturally friendly face than Ludo's after all.

"H - hello," he said. "Yes, I'm doing fine - much better, thank you. Did Herr Ludo mention anything about a horse?"

Caerfort, 29th Sommerzeit

"I don't know anything about that," said Molli, defensively. She clearly didn't want to get drawn into the affairs of lords and ladies. "Herr Sussman only paid me to carry the letter, he didn't tell me what was in it."

She paused, aware that she hadn't really answered Elsa's question. "There was some kind of a bust-up out in the Vale. A bunch of farmers who didn't want to pay the Prince's tax. There was soldiers sent down from the city. I think some folks got hurt."
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

22. - Top - End - #1282
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

"Not about a horse, no. He did mention you were in a hurry, I remember. Something you needed to get to the city?"

He took a crown from his purse and placed it on the table. Keeping his finger on it, he slid it towards Lankdorf. "There's no need. That's what you were promised for delivering it, wasn't it?" He grabbed a second crown and placed it next to the first. "I'd like to see what's so urgent."

23. - Top - End - #1283
    Titan in the Playground

Lankdorf hesitated for a long moment, then gave a very nervous laugh. "Wouldn't... wouldn't be a very good messenger if I just went selling my letters, friend," he said. "The people who sent them would be very angry with me."

He swallowed hard and looked at Sieghard harder. "Don't think... don't think I caught your name."
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

24. - Top - End - #1284
    Titan in the Playground

Outside the bar, Ludo peeked through the front window and saw Lenkdorf getting uneasy. "Hanna and you two, go and wait outside the back door, you two stay here by the front with me. We're just good friends reunited having a chat. By all the exits."

25. - Top - End - #1285
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

"Oh, how rude of me," he said, a grin creeping onto his face. "I'm Sieghard - don't bother getting up," he quickly added, "The door's already being watched, but I'd much rather talk this out between just us."

"I'm not sure what they told you or how much you've heard, but there was... a disagreement... between me and the people who sent you," Sieghard continued. "Are you from Manaan's Keep? I do hope none of your friends or family were among the people they killed." He paused. "What did they tell you anyways?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Seems appropriate to throw in a charm test for "I'm not (currently) a threat to you" and "maybe the people paying you aren't the best people to be working for"

(1d100)[7] vs 54

26. - Top - End - #1286
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LCP View Post
    "There was some kind of a bust-up out in the Vale. A bunch of farmers who didn't want to pay the Prince's tax. There was soldiers sent down from the city. I think some folks got hurt."
    Elsa winced. "...I see."

This was not going to improve Prince Sforza's popularity. And like it or not, her own status was tied to his. Luckily, her current task kept her out of these matters. She honestly did not know what she would do if Sforza ordered her to burn down a village in retaliation for a revolt.

"Well, I wish you a safe travel, Molli. And please remain tight-lipped about us being in Caerfort... Our business is sensitive, just like yours."

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Since Elsa doesn't know about Sieghard's involvement, I can think of no reason for her to deliberately try to hinder Molli.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

27. - Top - End - #1287
    Titan in the Playground

Lankdorf had already sprung to his feet when Sieghard mentioned his name, knocking over his chair with a clatter. He'd taken half a step towards the door before Sieghard said it was watched - at that, he froze like a frightened rabbit. Perhaps some part of him was still considering making a dash for it, but Sieghard's calm, quiet tone was very convincing.

"I - I - I don't know anything about anything," he managed to splutter out, after a long pause. "Or anybody being k-killed. I'm just the messenger." He swallowed hard. "I have to give this letter to the Prince in Savonne. If you don't let me go then you're - you're Obstructing the Prince's Business."

He said that like he thought it meant something.

Marktag, 30th Sommerzeit - Caerfort

Molli had departed in the morning, and Elsa had spent the best part of the day with her studies and sketches, when news of two more visitors reached her in the tower. This time, they were familiar faces - Urgrim and Tatiana, returned much sooner than expected. From the look on Urgrim's face, she could tell they had some grim news.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

28. - Top - End - #1288
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

"I'm obstructing the Prince's business, then" Sieghard replied, unfazed. "Sit back down."

"They very clearly told you something, otherwise you wouldn't be acting this way," he said. "Whatever lie they've fed you, we wouldn't be talking right now if I had any interest in hurting you. And as long as you don't cause me any trouble, I can make sure they don't hurt you either. I do need that letter though." He held his open hand out "I'd prefer you hand it over willingly,"

29. - Top - End - #1289
    Ogre in the Playground

Urgrim and Elsa – Caerfort, Marktag 30th Sommerzeit

Urgrim swung himself off Gil as Elsa approached, gently clapping the mule on the shoulder. "Let's go somewhere we won't be overheard," he muttered to her by way of greeting.

"Some success with your list. Got some obsidian from a mine in the Vale. I reckon I can find a master stoneworker in the Rock to shape it for you. But we were only rejoining the Forest Road when we got a bit distracted.

Urgrim recounted his own experience and perspective at Ardelean's mill. "It was nearly a massacre. Sussmann's a fool and the Tileans were brutes. We couldn't have stood by and let them kill the hungry poor – well, kill more of them than they did." He gave a throaty, angry sigh. "There are a lot of things Sieghard should have done differently. He's as stubborn as a troll and nearly as stupid! Well –" For a moment, as Urgrim locked eyes with Elsa, he looked a little ashamed. "Maybe that's a bit harsh on him. But what I'm saying is – he made mistakes in how he went about it, but it wasn't a mistake to put himself between the people and the Tileans' blades. And he wanted me to tell you that he doesn't regret his choices, but he's sorry if what comes disrupts your work."

Urgrim held out his dirty, empty hands, as if presenting the state of the world to Elsa. "So. 'Disrupt' is one word for it. I don't know that your position here can survive his fall from grace. But you can't stop your work. Varag Kol is bigger than all of this. I can keep working on getting you the tools you need. Even war in the Thornwood won't stop me getting to the Rock. I know the woods – and I've crossed the Mere. I'll do it again if I have to. But none of that will help us if we can't keep you, and the Book, safe, and uphold your access to it."

30. - Top - End - #1290
    Titan in the Playground

A great pit opened in Elsa's stomach as Urgrim recounted the latest events. She could not blame Sieghard for acting like he did—perhaps she would have done the same in those circumstances—but this made the future far more uncertain. She mostly regretted not getting started much sooner on this project of hers. Had she begun right after the plague of crickets, she would either be done by now, or she would know for sure that her ritual was doomed to failure. In either case, she would be free to join Sieghard in outlawry.

"Thank you for bringing me these news, Urgrim. This might... complicate a lot of things."

She took a glove off to run her bare hand through her short, soot-stained red hair.

"But you're right, I can't stop what I'm doing. Lords come and go, but the vampire and this Book have been plaguing the Reaches for thousands of years. Dealing with them takes precedence. I trust Sieghard is resourceful enough to stay ahead of the law. And there's no regiment in the Reaches better suited for this than the Thorns."
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2024-05-17 at 05:53 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing: