New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1213141516171819202122
  1. - Top - End - #631
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [DnD 5e] Playthings in an Interplanar Dollhouse- A Path of the Planebreaker Adven

Library of Worlds

The docent seemingly gets more and more excited as Bil describes the recovered tomes. "Knowledge is free here, but in respect for your assistance in recovering the tomes that were missing I will assign a scholar to you while you search for knowledge here. And if this is to help a missing scholar... you must be speaking of Scholar Rotunda. I wish I could tell you more about them, but they've been missing for longer than I've worked here! But if you have any other clues to his location, I am ABSOLUTELY sure that you'll manage to follow up on them using the resources of the library!" She writes a note, then quickly folds a piece of paper from her lectern into a paper bird. It promptly flaps off into the library, apparently seeking a target.

Several moments later, a Scholar bearing grey robes and a blue stole appears. He is older, probably in his sixties, with eyebrows like caterpillars and a severe look on his face. "Docent, I was busy cataloguing the works of Scholar Zothan. I hope this interruption is worth my time." She responds earnestly- "This royal party has heard rumors of Windham! I'm under strict orders if anyone comes with information about him to direct him to you! Besides, they have returned stolen property and deserve a guiding hand in their research!" The white caterpillars furrow, the severe look grows even more dour, and the older man turns to the party and speaks. "I am Scholar Brodus. I... knew Scholar Windham Rotunda. I had thought him lost to time and other worlds... but if you can help him... then it is my duty to help you. What information do you have?"
    The Bear is Back.

2. - Top - End - #632
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [DnD 5e] Playthings in an Interplanar Dollhouse- A Path of the Planebreaker Adven

Hylusi Quaternaros, Magus of Bleakpines
    Magework Necromancer
    Darkvision: 60ft
    AC: 15 HP: 38/38 THP: 10
    PP: 14 PIv: 14 PIs: 11
    Conditions:
    Concentrating on:
    5/5 d6 HD Arcane recovery 1/1
    Spell Slots- 4/4 1st, 2/3 2nd, 2/2 3rd
    Fingerbone staff 10/10
    Alchemical treats: 3/7 granting 10THP
    Goreling count: 7
    The Magus held up an interrupting hand before any of her comrades could spill out everything they knew right there and then.
    <Let us not talk of it while standing in the entrance hall. Let us go to a more private room, where there are less ears to overhear.>

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

And the far stars cried, and the planets yearned;
    But no man may know, for she'll ne'er return.

3. - Top - End - #633
    Firbolg in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Prince Doredan
    Human Martial Bard 6
    AC: 14+0 HP: 39/39 thp: 10
    PP: 9 PIv: 11 PIs: 9
    Conditions:
    Extra Attack: Just a friendly reminder to myself
    Accurate: Ignore up to 2 AC of targets from armor or natural armor (min. 10)
    Standing Reaction: Dodge Roll if critically hit or if hit while at 12 hit points or less (1/encounter)

The Library

"Most wise, Magus," the prince nods. "Your missing scholar has been taken by some dangerous persons."

Once they've moved away from the public reception into a more private locale, he briefs Scholar Brodus on the situation. "It seems that Scholar Rotunda's face was stolen by a pirate known as Jin the Fist. The whereabouts of the rest of him is unknown, but we have found evidence that his face is on..." the prince snaps his fingers and looks to the others for a reminder of the plane's name.

4. - Top - End - #634
    Colossus in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

John Smith
    Human Eldritch Knight
    AC: 19 HP: 52/52
    PP: 12 PIv: 12 PIs: 9
    Conditions:
    Concentrating:
    Following along through the library into the more private room, John nods, clearly remembering what Doriana had said. "She said it was on a demiplane of the Shadowplane, called the Grove of Crows. Apparently, the scholar went in with Jin, and when he left, his face was gone." John frowns at that as something occurs to him. "How would that work, anyway? Don't we need our faces to not die, so we can do things like breath and eat?"
    Spoiler: Current Character List:
    Show

John Smith, Playing in the Dollhouse
    Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    Grok Magmaforge, Iron Crisis
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss
    Ileana, Godlings

5. - Top - End - #635
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Bil

Twilight Cleric of Damh
    AC: 18 HP: 41/ 41 THP: 10
    PP: 17 PIv: 11 PIs: 17
    Conditions:
    Concentrating on:
    6 / 6 d8 HD
    Spell Slots- 1st: 4/4, 2nd: 3/3, 3rd: 3/3; channel 3/3

Bil falls in with the group, deferentially allowing others to speak to their own expertise.

Falling back on his years as a courtier, he evaluates the dour scholars.
    "What can you tell us of Windham's research? Our exploration suggests that he might be a prisoner of some kind, that his knowledge may be of value to his captors. Anything you can tell us about what value he might provide as a prisoner could give us insight to our common foe."

Spoiler: Insight
    Show

Pre-emptive Insight check = 15
    + background Court Functionary

Is this scholar useful? can he provide us intel? or do we need to move past him to a higher up?

6. - Top - End - #636
    Ogre in the Playground

Library of Worlds

Scholar Brodus leads the way to a private study room. It's meant for one to two Scholars, making things a bit snug as the entire party files in. Once the door is shut and you have privacy, the questions flow like wine. Brodus does his best to answer them. "Scholar Rotunda... he was a dear friend of mine, but he wasn't... remarkable, really. His life was quiet and spent in scholarly study, and mostly about the most boring of subjects. He once spent five years studying the mating habits of a particular type of snail in a small sea on a microplane that consisted entirely of small violet tide pools! I am flabbergasted that he would end up mixed up with that miscreant Jin the Fist! I can't think about what Windham's expertise in snails would add to a criminal enterprise! The man's latest research project was about some sort of extraplanar music of some sort, and not long after he started it he was abducted. I can't imagine Jin the Fist is some sort of music aficionado, but I can't imagine how Windham's music could be of the least interest to him!"

Brodus' eyebrows knitted, he seemed to ponder something, and then with a sigh he reached into his robe and removed a small book. "This is the last remnant I have of Windham. They already cleaned out his cell. Everyone thinks he's dead, but I know... I KNOW that man still lives. If you really are looking to help Windham... it's probably better in your hands than mine." He hands it over to Hylusi, noticing her spellbook and assuming her a scholarly type. "But it's all gibberish! There is nothing else in the library to validate his claims! It's just... strange ramblings about some form of planar music, some religious dreck about a holy mountain and a stair, and some tosh about a "muse"!"

The book is titled "The Music of the Spheres". Only the first twenty pages or so are written on, the rest seemingly empty and ready to receive a text numbering in the hundreds of pages. The writing is in a minute scratching, and takes some effort to read.

Spoiler: The Music of the Spheres
    Show

My muse visited me again in my cell. Her wisdom is only surpassed by the beauty of the words she sings to me. Songs of creation. Songs of destruction. Songs that give me dreams so vivid I swear they were real. She told me that all creation is a song, a song written long ago and preformed by the very turning of the planets and twinkling of the stars. Arias led to planets. Marching tunes drummed up the soil. And the most beautiful solos imaginable sung each being, mortal, planar, or inbetween, into creation. But as beautiful as the song was, it could not go on forever. With it's last breath the god of song and creation imparted a note, singular and powerful, to a handful of beings across the planarverse, perhaps even the multiverse. These entities are marked by music somewhere on their body- their note in the orchestral rise of creation. It is in the hearts, souls, and intrinsic beings of these blessed individuals that all hope lies.

My muse told me that one day, far into the future, it was prophesized that the suns would go out, the stars and moons would falter in their endless circular dance, and, like the end of concert, the band would play the last bars of the end times. But when that happens, all those who are Noted, passed down through family lines for millennia beyond time, will be enraptured in the song of creation again. There will be an encore, and a whole new universe will be birthed. Life will continue, the god of song and creation will be reborn, and the show will go on. But the muse assured me that this darkness and rebirth will come far, far into the future. I am comfortable in that it will come long after I am dead.

The other scholars whisper that I am mad. That my research comes from some sickness of my mind. But they have not met the muse. They have not climbed the Stair, ascended the holy mountain. Oh, Uraian, I repent every sin I've committed, and I thank you for the inspiration you have given me, may I hear the beautiful sounds of your voice until the day I die and beyond. One day someone will realize the value of your song, and then maybe, just maybe, the name Windham Rotunda will mean something. This story I've written is a malformed, broken, disfigured child spawned from my inability to scribe the true beauty of Uraian's song, but ever since I ascended the Stair and met the right hand of the creation god I can hear the music. It will reverberate in my soul until my dying day... and perhaps beyond!

I have parsed a list of the Note Blessed bloodlines from Uraian's song. I will scribe it over the next several years- this universe, planarverse, even multiverse is far larger than any of us have anticipated, and there has never been a song as complex and beautiful as that of the Music of Creation. It will be my life's work, even if no one believes me. One day, it will be remembered that Windham Rotunda scribed something more important than tiddlings about snails. One day a collection of the bloodlines will be needed. And then my spirit will be vindicated.
    The Bear is Back.

7. - Top - End - #637

BlueKnightGuy

Bil

Twilight Cleric of Damh
    Conditions:
    Concentrating on:
    6 / 6 d8 HD

Bil arches an eyebrow when the scholar speaks so dismissively of music. He gestures to the symbol of pan pipes emblazoned on his shield.
    “Music is the language of the soul. It expresses the truths we’ve not named and ecstasies of our hearts.

That is hardly dreck.

If your library has not a single reference to a planar staircase or a holy mountain, it must be smaller than I was led to believe. Perhaps we should review your catalog again?”

This is said with a grin, as a friendly challenge to the scholar.
    Spoiler: ooc
    Show

8. - Top - End - #638

BlueKnightGuy

Prince Doredan
    Human Martial Bard 6
    Conditions:
    Standing Reaction: Dodge Roll if critically hit or if hit while at 12 hit points or less (1/encounter)

The Library

As the document is examined, Doredan nods his head in vague understanding. He explains in brief to the scholar, leaving out the finer and more secret details, "My brother was abducted by the pirate under the belief that he is one of these marked individuals. If he is attempting to assemble them for some purpose, he likely abducted your scholar friend for the list he was assembling. Do you have any image in the likeness of Scholar Rotunda?" he wonders. "Something we could use to find his... missing face."

9. - Top - End - #639

GreenSorcererElf

John Smith
    Human Eldritch Knight
    Conditions:
    Concentrating:
    Reading through the presented book, John finds it to be much faster reading than he was expecting. "You know... these "Note Blessed" bloodlines. Do you know anything more about them?" John frowns, as the thinks about it a bit more, before another question pops into his head. "What if these notes can be assembled into a different song, one that might free Jin's master? Notes can normally be assembled into a bunch of different songs, right?"
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss
    Ileana, Godlings

10. - Top - End - #640
    Ogre in the Playground

The Library of Worlds

Scholar Brodus' eyebrows wrinkled again at Doredan's question. He reaches into his robes and removes a locket. Opening it up, he checks it first, eyes closing and a small sigh heaving, before passing it to the Prince. "Please be careful with this. It... it is all I have left of him, besides the book." Inside the locket is a meticulous, detailed drawing of a large, mid-thirties man with a big man's muscular frame, tattoos up an exposed sleeve, and one of the warmest smiles you have ever seen. His hair is back in a bun, but it looks like it could fall down to his knees if he freed it. Specifically, there is a tattoo on Rotunda's face coming up from his neck that looks like flames wreathing his face. This man looks more like a musician or a bouncer than a scholar.

At Bil's chiding, Brodus' dark skin wrinkles formidably in a scowl. "If there is a reference, it may be in a section I am not schooled in. Even a man as old as I am cannot read every book in the library. If you would be so kind as to help me search, perhaps together we may find more and discover more information..." His caterpillars dance and leap as his consternation is barely held at bay.
    The Bear is Back.

11. - Top - End - #641

BlueKnightGuy

Bil

Twilight Cleric of Damh
    Conditions:
    Concentrating on:
    6 / 6 d8 HD

Bil raises his hands in a conciliatory gesture at the scholar's reaction.
    “My diety, Damh, is a patron of music. Forgive me if my zeal offends you. I have never been especially scholarly, but I would be honored to serve as your assistant in whatever way could lead us to Scholar Rotunda.”

"Perhaps this Uraian is a place to start, as that being seems to have communicated some sort of insight to the scholar?"

This is said with a grin, as a friendly challenge to the scholar.
    Spoiler: ooc
    Show

12. - Top - End - #642

BlueKnightGuy

Prince Doredan
    Human Martial Bard 6
    Conditions:

The Library

Taking the locket, Doredan examines it. As any good royal with too much time on his hands, he has had some education in the arts. The visual arts were not his area of passion, but perhaps he could recreate the image using the locket as a reference. "I will find a writing desk, and try my hand at sketching a reference, that you need not be deprived this keepsake," he tells the scholar. Closing the locket, he turns and addresses the party. "I suggest that at least one of us seek out information on this ah," he rolls his hand in the air. "Grove of Crows, was it? Yes, something like that."

Locket in hand, the prince finds a quiet place, a piece of paper and an inkpen. His last art lesson was just about ten years ago, and his brow furrows in concentration as he attempts to copy down the identifying features.

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    Untrained drawing check, though it's probably either Dex or Int which are his good stats.
    (1d20+3)[10] to get a sketch of the man
    (1d20+3)[6] for Advantage of having the locket on hand for a reference image Helps

13. - Top - End - #643

GreenSorcererElf

John Smith
    Human Eldritch Knight
    Conditions:
    Concentrating:
    John nods at Prince Doredan's suggestion. "I can handle that. If we've got the time, some research into Jin and his backer might be wise as well? While I'm sure Vassan told us all he knew, there might be more?" He looks to Scholar Brodus, before continuing. "Is there some area of the library where you recommend that I start?"

Spoiler: OOC roll
    Show

Arcana, rolled a 19(Twice) in the roll channel in Discord.)
    Last edited by Archmage1; 2024-05-17 at 09:04 AM.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss
    Ileana, Godlings

14. - Top - End - #644
    Ogre in the Playground

Hylusi Quaternaros, Magus of Bleakpines
    Magework Necromancer
    Darkvision: 60ft
    AC: 15 HP: 38/38 THP: 10
    PP: 14 PIv: 14 PIs: 11
    Conditions:
    Concentrating on:
    5/5 d6 HD Arcane recovery 1/1
    Spell Slots- 4/4 1st, 2/3 2nd, 2/2 3rd
    Fingerbone staff 10/10
    Alchemical treats: 3/7 granting 10THP
    Goreling count: 7
    The Magus regarded the man for a moment with careful eyes. Was this scholar some lover of the missing man? Well. regardless.
    <Then I shall determine more about this Stair.>
    She clicked her fingers, and one of the servitors fell in behind Smith.
    <Tui shall assist you in whatever you need relevant to our task,> she said.
    The man would of course find the servitor helpful - the silent, masked companion would help him search, and also, of course, keep a close eye on what the human was doing. Of her group, the human was the one she trusted the least - or perhaps distrusted the most, depending on point of view.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Assistance from the bony crew for an arcana of 25.
    And the far stars cried, and the planets yearned;
    But no man may know, for she'll ne'er return.

15. - Top - End - #645
    Ogre in the Playground

The Library of Worlds

With Scholar Brodus' guidance the group disperses through the library and begins compiling books to investigate. Doredan makes a functional if distorted copy of the face of Windham Rotunda, the man's nature not making it to the page, but a facsimile that would function. Bil's research is short skims of books followed by lots of looking along the shelves, and he ends up with a formidable pile of books but unfortunately no time to read them. However, John and Hylusi do turn up some interesting information.

Spoiler: John
    Show
    John's investigation into the Grove of Crows reveals that this subplane or region of the Shadowfell is bound by a particular feeling that marks it as different from the rest of the plane- a sadistic glee emanated by a powerful raven creature inhabiting a Castle nestled in the mountains central to the area. All paths in the region eventually leads to the castle, but few are powerful, brave, or stupid enough to face a creature strong enough to sustain a planar boundary. Thankfully the creature doesn't travel outside of the Castle, making it easier to avoid for beings such as you and your group. However, the malevolent energy of this creature suffuses the grove, powering and sustaining it.

John also deduces that a specific order of wizards known as the Defacers consider the Grove the origin of their powers. Like the Tree of Faces itself, it's said these wizards can strip the face of a living being and leave them eternally maimed, unable to eat, breathe, or see, but still able to function. What sustains these creatures is likely dark in nature. Many Defacers treat the Grove almost as a holy site, and they will attack any who approach the Grove.

Based on a rumor tucked into an otherwise boring text on the planar resonance of the Grove there is also mention that the power of light spells, healing spells, and restorative magic is weakened, while cold, dark, and vile spells are empowered. Undead are also empowered, but tend to become more dangerous and resistant to domination. There is a rare spell component called Crow's Grave Dust that can be harnessed from the soil of this realm to replicate it's effects on other planes.

Spoiler: Hylusi
    Show
    Uraian's Stair is a demiplane that floats loose in the realms of the Celestials. Specifically, an Elysian plane devoted to beauty, music, and freedom. The entire plane consists of one giant mountain with a stairway curling up it. The plane is populated, if not densely, by humanoids of all shapes and sizes, but a particular disposition- natives of this plane call them selves Redeemed and Reborn, as they have all climbed the Stair and encountered Uraian, and seraphic being that resides at the top of the mountain. The place has become a sanctuary for beings from across the planes who seek to heal from trauma, seek forgiveness, or find redemption, though some nefarious beings have been known to feign repentance for a secluded place to stay. Time passes more slowly at the Stair then other planes, adding to it's therapeutic nature.

Climbing the Stair is a process that tests not just the body but the mind and spirit as well. Eventually the settlements, businesses, and tourists thin out, and all higher than these areas on the slope begin to feel the weight of their sins. Some are known to have visions of their past misdeeds, and to feel a physical weight holding you back, making the climb more difficult. If a being can push on through this adversity, they are rewarded with absolution and counseling by the celestial being Uraian at the mountain top.

Uraian is one of the oldest and most powerful beings in the cosmos, existing since the earliest creations of the gods in the worlds. He, or she, or it, seemingly dependent on it's mood and the audience it meets, is rumored to be the former servant of a dead god that survived her patron's extinction and now finds their own purpose in aiding others who can make it to the top of the stair. None can remember exactly what Uraian looks like, or the time they spend together, but all who reach the top come back down as seemingly completely different people, bearing great wisdom and sometimes even great power.

Hylusi also discovers that one of the most planar renowned distilleries produces whiskey formed from the condensation of the positive energy charged clouds the surround the mountain. This business, Renewal Distilleries, is run by a moderately powerful devil who ascended the stair on a bet and has since turned over a new leaf.
    The Bear is Back.

16. - Top - End - #646

BlueKnightGuy

Prince Doredan
    Human Martial Bard 6
    Conditions:

The Library

Letting the ink dry on his... suitable creation, the prince walks royally through the aisles of books to reconvene with the others. When he finds Brodus with then, he proffers the locket. "I have composed a sketch of identifying features. I would hate to lose your keepsake in some dingy realm of darkness."

Folding his hands behind himself, he looks expectantly at the others to listen to what they've learned.