New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 43 of 44 FirstFirst ... 18333435363738394041424344 LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,290 of 1307
  1. - Top - End - #1261
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Default Re: Tomboys and Troublemakers Part V: Zut Zut Zut and a Bottle of Bordeleaux

Quote Originally Posted by wilphe View Post
    I'd love to watch that discussion in character
    I'd love that too! There is a gentle sort of aikido to travelling with a dwarf that involves being aware of the momentum of his honor at all times and trying to use that constructively.

Quote Originally Posted by farothel View Post
    Question: what does the company blade do again? I know it's magical, but I'm not sure what it does exactly.
    Almost forgot to answer this! I thought I had it laid out in Bertelis' character sheet but I guess not.

The Company Blade is a runesword forged by Glod. It was made by reforging Bertelis' shattered family sword (broken during the Company's first adventure to the mines of Trundheim) with elements of gromril; as a repayment for surrendering the Trundheim Flambard to be destroyed (it was a runeblade on merely a good quality sword, which is functionally blasphemy to runesmiths). It resembles a very fine Bretonnian arming sword with an irregular, but not unpleasing lattice of golden gromril threaded between the shards in the reforging process - something like a kintsugi repaired blade.

It's a Best Quality Sword (Hand Weapon, +5WS, Defensive) with three runes:
    Rune of Fire: As a free action, the sword's blade is engulfed in white flame. When ignited, the sword gains +1 Fire Damage and sheds light like a torch.
    Rune of Grudges: On the first round of combat, the wielder can nominate one enemy as a free action. For the remainder of the battle, the wielder can re-roll all missed attacks with the Company Blade against that foe.
    Rune of Might: Attacks with this weapon add your SB a second time to damage, but only against opponents with a Toughness of 50% or more.
    Last edited by MrAbdiel; 2024-05-10 at 08:32 AM.

2. - Top - End - #1262
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Default Re: Tomboys and Troublemakers Part V: Zut Zut Zut and a Bottle of Bordeleaux

(1d100)[19] v. 51 perception

3. - Top - End - #1263
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Small Gaétan is totally playing Good Cop to their Bad Cop.
    "Of all the words by tongue and pen, by far the saddest are "I could have been...""

"The first rule of success is to have a vision. You see if you don’t have a vision of where you are going, if you don’t have a goal for where to go, you’ll drift around and never end up anywhere...can you imagine a majority of people don't know where they are going? I knew where I was going!” – Arnold Schwarzenegger

4. - Top - End - #1264
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Bertelis Initiative - (1d10+5)[8]! He uses his free special ready action to produce his shield.

5. - Top - End - #1265
    Troll in the Playground

Wighard Init (1d10)[5] +5

6. - Top - End - #1266
    Troll in the Playground

If you don't mind Wighard will be un-readied, but will have channelled

7. - Top - End - #1267
    Troll in the Playground

Well he didn't quite Morr's Displeasure Goon5 into throwing himself burning from the bridge, but nonetheless a remarkable effort in damage dealing on multiple targets

Hope the rest of you can drop a few because Wighard is now wounded without defences up

8. - Top - End - #1268
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

I appreciate the enthusiasm to get your action out there Wilphe. A channel is fine in place of the free ready.

Happy to let the action stand even though it’s technically out of initiative sequence - unless someone hits Wighard so hard he goes down, or nails him with a bolas or else a lasso to the body or arms, it’ll be fine. Otherwise we’ll have to do a little ret-conning.

If everyone can get their initiative down I’ll post a full list here and we’ll go down the line. I’ve been ad advocate of simplified initiative for a while, but in the case of an ambush like this and certain other combats, it’s too much for all of one team to go first, so let’s keep standard order unless otherwise noted as the rule.

9. - Top - End - #1269
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Initiative: (1d10+6)[7]

10. - Top - End - #1270
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

initiative: (1d10+5)[9]
    Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
    "I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute."

11. - Top - End - #1271
    Troll in the Playground

My bad, here's some listing:

[13] - Sang Goon3
    [13] - Sang Goon4

[11] - Sang Flanker8

10 - WIGHARD (On tiebreak)

10 - GIMGROTH

9 - BRUNO (On tiebreak)

[9] - Sang Flanker9
    [9] - Lefty

8 - BERTELIS

7 - JASMINE (On tiebreak)

[7] - Sang Flanker6

[6] - Sang Flanker7

[5] - Righty
    [5] - Sang Goon5
    Last edited by wilphe; 2024-05-15 at 09:01 AM.

12. - Top - End - #1272
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

So Gimgroth has a free ready action from quick draw does that stack with this other free action? I think I'll say if it does he has the rune hammer and shield ready.
    Init - (1d10+3)[10]
    Been a busy time at work.

13. - Top - End - #1273
    Troll in the Playground

Alright, 3 4 and 8 up

14. - Top - End - #1274
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Also I think this is how I would like to play Gimgroth free ready action. I already stated that he had his shield out but he'll ready his hammer from resting on his shoulder. Also he is going to do his best to protect Wighard from any attacks. He was trained as a bodyguard but there are not many talents or skills that allow for directly protecting another. Maybe something I would be willing to put XP in for a custom talent we work out together Mr. New GM.

15. - Top - End - #1275
    Troll in the Playground

You'll have to get past me

You may parry attacks against an adjacent target

Noooooooo!

A missile attack at an adjacent target hits you instead if you succeed on a Dodge test

16. - Top - End - #1276
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

You'll have to get past me

You may parry attacks against an adjacent target the limit of 1 parry per round still applies?

Noooooooo!

An missile attack at an adjacent target hits you instead if you succeed on a Dodge test
    Made some edits as to how I would like to see it roll out. So the first talent is usable once per round. The second talent has no limit and applies to both melee and missile attacks. It is dodging in front of the blow or shot to take the hit. This intent should be announced prior to an attacks damage roll is made. In PbP it should be announced at the end of your turn and requires a turn to activate. The first is powerful in that it allows you to negate a hit altogether. The second is less powerful in redirecting damage from an injured ally but could be used more. I like these what do you say Mr. Abdiel? might be my next XP spend.

17. - Top - End - #1277
    Troll in the Playground

Yes you wouldn't get an extra parries

The second is the inverse of where we have been talking about Dodging Missile attacks, which is only available as a Blood Gift and not for normals.

Maybe it's thematically appropriate for bodyguards because it is after all your Noooooo! that gets you your next job, or maybe it should require a Fortune Point from either party
    Last edited by wilphe; 2024-05-15 at 06:58 PM.

18. - Top - End - #1278
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Yes you wouldn't get an extra parries

The second is the inverse of where we have been talking about Dodging Missile attacks, which is only available as a Blood Gift and not for normals.

Maybe it's thematically appropriate for bodyguards because it is after all your Noooooo! that gets you your next job, or maybe it should require a Fortune Point from either party
    I think a fortune point to transfer damage is fairly steep. But there are worse talents than that. I would say if you want the fortune point cost it should be automatic not a dodge test.

19. - Top - End - #1279
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by LarsWester View Post
    So Gimgroth has a free ready action from quick draw does that stack with this other free action? I think I'll say if it does he has the rune hammer and shield ready.
    [roll0]
    Been a busy time at work.
    The free ready action does 'stack' with quickdraw in the sense that a character with no weapons in hand at the beginning of combat gets a free ready for one hand, and then when it is his turn might quickdraw to fill the other. If you've already got your shield at hand as stated, then your free ready basically means you have your weapon and shield ready before your initiative comes up in the combat, which is a small benefit if you get attacked and need that parry active. But there is no additional use for quickdraw if you have your hands full by the time your turn comes (unless you were carrying a spear to throw and quickdraw a new weapon or something like that); you were all appropriately wary going into the encounter so the need to instantly draw weapons was somewhat obviated.

Alright, 3 4 and 8 up
    I'll get right on 'em tomorrow! About to hit the hay right now. :)

As for the homebrew feats for protecting allies, I'm open to all these ideas. It's definitely cinematic to be able to take the bullet or blow for an ally. Let me think about it. I shot down the dodge-missiles idea because avoiding missiles is already built into the system as much as possible with the run action (-20 to hit) and shield (-10 to hit), and aside from that shooting is kind of nerf because you can't stack strength bonuses on it, the best weapons have exorbitant reloads, etc etc.

But taking a shot for someone doesn't necessarily just add another gem to the crown of King Melee Swift Attack, it just allows some primative 'tanking' mechanics. I'm more inclined to do something like say "When you take Parry Stance, you can use your parry to defend yourself or anyone immediately adjacent to you". That would mean you can't swift attack in the same turn you are actively bodyguarding someone, but that would be the tradeoff. Instead of berserking into the enemy lines, you are holding back for caution's sake. I don't think I'd charge a talent for that necessarilly, it'd just be an adjustment to Parry Stance as it is.

As for taking arrows and bullets for an ally by electing to take the hit, that feels like something best resolved in a stance too. Maybe we make a talent that permits "Bodyguard Stance" which is a upgrade to Parry Stance, in that it permits you to spend your dodge to take hits for your adjacent allies.

So that would play out like.. if you were desperate to protect an ally, you could Bodyguard stance next to them, spend your parry catching the first attack at them, spend your dodge bodyblocking the next one, and after that ... well there's only so much you can do to protect someone against a determined foe. This is all speculation for now.

20. - Top - End - #1280
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by MrAbdiel View Post
    But taking a shot for someone doesn't necessarily just add another gem to the crown of King Melee Swift Attack, it just allows some primative 'tanking' mechanics. I'm more inclined to do something like say "When you take Parry Stance, you can use your parry to defend yourself or anyone immediately adjacent to you". That would mean you can't swift attack in the same turn you are actively bodyguarding someone, but that would be the tradeoff. Instead of berserking into the enemy lines, you are holding back for caution's sake. I don't think I'd charge a talent for that necessarilly, it'd just be an adjustment to Parry Stance as it is.

As for taking arrows and bullets for an ally by electing to take the hit, that feels like something best resolved in a stance too. Maybe we make a talent that permits "Bodyguard Stance" which is a upgrade to Parry Stance, in that it permits you to spend your dodge to take hits for your adjacent allies.

So that would play out like.. if you were desperate to protect an ally, you could Bodyguard stance next to them, spend your parry catching the first attack at them, spend your dodge bodyblocking the next one, and after that ... well there's only so much you can do to protect someone against a determined foe. This is all speculation for now.
    I like the Bodyguard Stance talent maybe it has the completion of Bodyguard career as a prerequisite. I am a fan of tradeoffs and choices. I think these give options when Swift Attack isn't a possibility.

21. - Top - End - #1281
    Troll in the Playground

Gimgroth hasn't fought alongside Wighard since the Skaven ambush in the pass, so he might be quite surprised that he isn't so squishy anymore and can put together quite a layered defence.

But it takes time to setup (Quick Draw is probably in his future too) so he is vulnerable if we get attacked without warning

Probably something to be discussed when they spar and talk about Dodge later

This is also why he is keeping the first bullet he stopped with Shimmering Cloak because that seems a good basis for a magic item to help with action economy

It also helps that Radiant Sentinel might be the best gish spell, it's parry stacks with a weapon and its keyed off WP so on a spellcaster will be high (its actually the best defence of anyone in the Company right now I think).

22. - Top - End - #1282
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Alright, time to get to combat. I'm going to do most of the rolls in a roller thread to keep them tidy, then I'll post the results in my action post. Feel free to check the roller thread for details, or to post your own rollerspam there.

23. - Top - End - #1283
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Are there any more dense groupings of these thugs? Ideally Gimgroth would charge at a cluster with the idea that should he fall one enemy there would be a second close by.

24. - Top - End - #1284
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

At this stage, with no one in melee, there’s a yard or three between all combatants; though you can be reasonably sure when you commit to melee the enemy will obligingly swarm you.

25. - Top - End - #1285
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

I know this isn't really the time or place given there's a combat going on, but you've mentioning using RP as a means to learn and take out-of-career skills.

Hypothetically, if someone wanted to learn Trade (Gem Cutter) as both a hobby and a cover for why they appear to dress so nicely (because they're a successful jeweller) as well as a means of gaining access to high society (as only the wealthy can buy beautifully cut gems/jewels), what would be the process? Is this something you'd require demanded most of their IC time, or can be done off-screen etc? Hypothetically speaking, of course.
    Last edited by BananaPhone; 2024-05-18 at 12:50 AM.
    "Of all the words by tongue and pen, by far the saddest are "I could have been...""

"The first rule of success is to have a vision. You see if you don’t have a vision of where you are going, if you don’t have a goal for where to go, you’ll drift around and never end up anywhere...can you imagine a majority of people don't know where they are going? I knew where I was going!” – Arnold Schwarzenegger

26. - Top - End - #1286
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by BananaPhone View Post
    I know this isn't really the time or place given there's a combat going on, but you've mentioning using RP as a means to learn and take out-of-career skills.

Hypothetically, if someone wanted to learn Trade (Gem Cutter) as both a hobby and a cover for why they appear to dress so nicely (because they're a successful jeweller) as well as a means of gaining access to high society (as only the wealthy can buy beautifully cut gems/jewels), what would be the process? Is this something you'd require demanded most of their IC time, or can be done off-screen etc? Hypothetically speaking, of course.
    Hmm! Well, I suppose you'd buy it during an appropriate downtime period to cover the initial foray into the trade for double the normal cost, so 200XP. There's a big downtime 'chunk' coming up after... well. We're at a climactic point in the Bretonnian adventure, let's say. There's an appropriate time for out of career purchases there. Then during the course of the adventure you'd want to weave in some RP justification for her learning and practicing. Maybe you hire on a gemcutter as a tutor to follow you around, even, as part of your retinue. And then, after I'm sufficiently satisfied in my seat as fickle decider of things, you will claw back 100 of that XP.

As a related note... Trade Skills are useful and under the right circumstances can grant extra financial rewards. But the path of a fated adventurer is such that it will never be more profitable than the adventuring itself. For example, if one were to find themself with a gem mine, they would not have a passive income in the thousands of gold from a conveyer belt of uncut gems flying into their pockets and out to suitable vendors in cut enriched condition. The costs associated with staffing that mine, keeping it secure, dealing with unforeseen calamity and so forth will always grind that margin down to a mild bonus until you retire from adventuring and tend it full time. Alas, the world of Grim and Perilous Adventure is oft times brutal to those seeking to escape its rhythms.

I will quote James Wallis, author of the Carrion Up the Reik element of the The Enemy Within legendary WFRP Campaign. The quote comes from a blog post in which is replying to a player's blog post called "How James Wallis Ruined My Character's Life", in which the player laments that campaign steering the DM to destroy the player's drug-filled barge. James's reply is called "Yes I Sank Your Barge".

"...You do, however, seem to have got part of the point: you note that Warhammer FRP isn't like D&D, and the monsters don't automatically carry gold and magic items. D&D is about quests for glory and riches; WFRP pretends to be the same, but in fact is about the PCs' day-to-day fight for survival in a universe that hates them. If you don't finish each adventure worse off than when you started it, your GM is doing something wrong. If you find yourself in a WFRP adventure and not knee-deep in sh*t then duck, because another load is past due."

Bramble has done a great job balancing our materiel enrichment with mental disintegration and familial suffering so far. I intend to take my foot off the insanity gas pedal... but it's gotta come down somewhere~.

TLDR, as long as you're not expecting any talent to fire a money hose at you, then you're all good.

27. - Top - End - #1287
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Hmm! Well, I suppose you'd buy it during an appropriate downtime period to cover the initial foray into the trade for double the normal cost, so 200XP. There's a big downtime 'chunk' coming up after... well. We're at a climactic point in the Bretonnian adventure, let's say. There's an appropriate time for out of career purchases there. Then during the course of the adventure you'd want to weave in some RP justification for her learning and practicing. Maybe you hire on a gemcutter as a tutor to follow you around, even, as part of your retinue. And then, after I'm sufficiently satisfied in my seat as fickle decider of things, you will claw back 100 of that XP.

As a related note... Trade Skills are useful and under the right circumstances can grant extra financial rewards. But the path of a fated adventurer is such that it will never be more profitable than the adventuring itself. For example, if one were to find themself with a gem mine, they would not have a passive income in the thousands of gold from a conveyer belt of uncut gems flying into their pockets and out to suitable vendors in cut enriched condition. The costs associated with staffing that mine, keeping it secure, dealing with unforeseen calamity and so forth will always grind that margin down to a mild bonus until you retire from adventuring and tend it full time. Alas, the world of Grim and Perilous Adventure is oft times brutal to those seeking to escape its rhythms.

I will quote James Wallis, author of the Carrion Up the Reik element of the The Enemy Within legendary WFRP Campaign. The quote comes from a blog post in which is replying to a player's blog post called "How James Wallis Ruined My Character's Life", in which the player laments that campaign steering the DM to destroy the player's drug-filled barge. James's reply is called "Yes I Sank Your Barge".

"...You do, however, seem to have got part of the point: you note that Warhammer FRP isn't like D&D, and the monsters don't automatically carry gold and magic items. D&D is about quests for glory and riches; WFRP pretends to be the same, but in fact is about the PCs' day-to-day fight for survival in a universe that hates them. If you don't finish each adventure worse off than when you started it, your GM is doing something wrong. If you find yourself in a WFRP adventure and not knee-deep in sh*t then duck, because another load is past due."

Bramble has done a great job balancing our materiel enrichment with mental disintegration and familial suffering so far. I intend to take my foot off the insanity gas pedal... but it's gotta come down somewhere~.

TLDR, as long as you're not expecting any talent to fire a money hose at you, then you're all good.

Looking for entrepreneurial ways to develop new revenue streams in game? Me? Never .

Getting a hireling to teach her sounds like the most apt avenue then, and just pay the 200 exp and hope for the refund in good time. As for the actual applications in game, as mentioned, it's a great cover for why an apparently single young woman without a family name (or at least one she can speak about openly without people running for the hills) has nice clothes and money on hand, and gives one access to higher stations of people as they're typically the only ones able to afford the products. Buying a few uncut gems, cutting them and selling them could provide a nice side-income, and if RP'd learning the skill, would be a good In Character cover for various things. Plus it keys off Agility, which is nice.

Yes, I like this.
    Last edited by BananaPhone; 2024-05-18 at 02:28 AM.

28. - Top - End - #1288
    Troll in the Playground

Yeah this certainly sounds like a Priestess of Sigmar...

29. - Top - End - #1289
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Lefty, to his credit, manages to keep his teeth this turn (dodge in the dice roller thread)!

Bruno is up - probably looking for a strength/agility roll to break out of the lasso for his action, though I suppose he could draw and fire his pistol from the ground!

30. - Top - End - #1290
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Lefty, to his credit, manages to keep his teeth this turn (dodge in the dice roller thread)!

Bruno is up - probably looking for a strength/agility roll to break out of the lasso for his action, though I suppose he could draw and fire his pistol from the ground!
    Can I just cut it with the sword I'm holding (especially if I light it up first)?
    Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
    "I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute."