New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Psionic Changeling Psycho Killer

Working on the above mentioned concept. A changeling serial killer who is a face stealer, literally and figuratively. I like psionics for mind game purposes, reading thoughts to acquire the likeness of loved ones or allies. I want to mix that with stealthy assassin type abilities, particularly sneak attack over death attack, quick one shot kills aren't really what I'm looking for with this character. I'd love to see how other people would approach the build, especially since this is my first Psionic character I have ever built. Any advice is appreciated. My DM is letting me add half giant to Changeling as a template WITH Primordial Giant from SoX and the Inspired from ECS too! DM is also letting me actually be a host for a Quori spirit instead of just an empty vessel.

So for +2 ECL I'm getting 3 bonus power points at level 1 +1 additional at every level, one free bonus feat of my choice, a nasty set of psi-like (the highlights of which being Inertial Armor, Body Adjustment and Psionic Charm), some hefty ability bonuses, a lot of bonus skill points and a smattering of bonuses to certain skills. In addition to changeling.

Spoiler: My stat spread is looking something like this.
    Show
    STR 13
    DEX 16
    CON 16
    INT 25
    WIS 16
    CHA 23

I was thinking Lurk might be the best base class. I have access to all official 3.5 and Pathfinder material except ToB(don't ask), I'm getting a feat at every odd level. I would love to find room in the build for Maiming Strike, Disemboweling Strike and Gruesome Finish. I like the idea of boosting kukri threat range, then a crit with Maiming Strike dealing 10+ charisma damage.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Psionic Changeling Psycho Killer

Instead of making some weird giant changeling hybrid, you can instead lean into psionics and take the level 1 (egoist i think?) psion ACF that literally gives you changeling’s minor change shape, but without the need to homebrew anything out of the ordinary
    World of Madius wiki - My personal campaign setting, including my homebrew Optional Gestalt/LA rules.
    The new Quick Vestige List

Quote Originally Posted by Kazyan View Post
    Playing a wizard the way GitP says wizards should be played requires the equivalent time and effort investment of a university minor. Do you really want to go down this rabbit hole, or are you comfortable with just throwing a souped-up Orb of Fire at the thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by atemu1234 View Post
    Humans are rarely truly irrational, just wrong.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

The Egoist 1 ACF, as Crake said, is going to completely remove hte need for Changeling.

Psychic Assassin is worth consideration, for a few reasons:
    1. The 5th level special ability Mind Cripple makes you deal 2 Int damage per sneak attack. A few rounds and you'll take down most bruisers regardless of how much hp they have.
    2. The core rulebook errata states that when the text and table disagree, the text takes priority, so it advances your manifesting at the 5th level per the text.

I'd go Spellthief 1/ Egoist 4/ Psychic Assassin 6/ Slayer 9. This loses only four manifester levels total, so no 9th level powers at 20th, but Practiced Manifester means you still get full augmentation for your level.

Take Psicrystal Affinity and pick the hero or nimble personality. Put a Healing Belt on the psicrystal and keep it in your boot, it can use that on you during combat when needed and opponents will never have line of sight/effect to it and area effects won't even hit it. Keep Share Pain on it so you take half damage from everything, its Hardness 8 reduces each instance of damage it takes from Share Pain by as much. You can share personal-range powers with it such as Vigor, Body Adjustment, etc.

Take Weapon Finesse and TWF, get Gloves of the Balanced Hand with an Enhancement bonus to Dex added per MIC p234. Eventually get two Swords of Subtlety with Speed added (priced as a +4 weapon with a +20k gp effect). Put a Wand Chamber in each of your weapons and a Wand of Wraithstrike in one. Your Spellthief level allows you to use wands of any spells that class can access, and the Rules Compendium says that takes the same action to activate as the spell's casting time.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Since your DM seems to be quite willing to tweak the rules to help you fulfil your character concept, I’d ask about creating a psionic adaptation of Unseen Seer.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Crake View Post
    Instead of making some weird giant changeling hybrid, you can instead lean into psionics and take the level 1 (egoist i think?) psion ACF that literally gives you changeling’s minor change shape, but without the need to homebrew anything out of the ordinary
    I love changeling, the feats for them are really cool and so is Cabinet Trickster. Egoist does look really awesome though, I'm considering it. Would Inspired be worth keeping?

Quote Originally Posted by Biffoniacus_Furiou View Post
    The Egoist 1 ACF, as Crake said, is going to completely remove hte need for Changeling.

Psychic Assassin is worth consideration, for a few reasons:
    1. The 5th level special ability Mind Cripple makes you deal 2 Int damage per sneak attack. A few rounds and you'll take down most bruisers regardless of how much hp they have.
    2. The core rulebook errata states that when the text and table disagree, the text takes priority, so it advances your manifesting at the 5th level per the text.

I'd go Spellthief 1/ Egoist 4/ Psychic Assassin 6/ Slayer 9. This loses only four manifester levels total, so no 9th level powers at 20th, but Practiced Manifester means you still get full augmentation for your level.

Take Psicrystal Affinity and pick the hero or nimble personality. Put a Healing Belt on the psicrystal and keep it in your boot, it can use that on you during combat when needed and opponents will never have line of sight/effect to it and area effects won't even hit it. Keep Share Pain on it so you take half damage from everything, its Hardness 8 reduces each instance of damage it takes from Share Pain by as much. You can share personal-range powers with it such as Vigor, Body Adjustment, etc.

Take Weapon Finesse and TWF, get Gloves of the Balanced Hand with an Enhancement bonus to Dex added per MIC p234. Eventually get two Swords of Subtlety with Speed added (priced as a +4 weapon with a +20k gp effect). Put a Wand Chamber in each of your weapons and a Wand of Wraithstrike in one. Your Spellthief level allows you to use wands of any spells that class can access, and the Rules Compendium says that takes the same action to activate as the spell's casting time.
    Psionic Assassin and Slayer look really cool, pretty much exactly what I'm looking for. That looks like a really good psicrystal trick. I am kind of confused on the Spellthief suggestion though, is the whole purpose of that one level for the wand trick? If so wouldn't it be easier to just make use of UMD?

Quote Originally Posted by Maat Mons View Post
    Since your DM seems to be quite willing to tweak the rules to help you fulfil your character concept, I’d ask about creating a psionic adaptation of Unseen Seer.
    I like that class, I'd consider that if I was trying to make a spy but that isn't really what I'm going for.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

You can take Metamorphic Transfer for Consume Identity (Su), the greater doppelganger ability. That will cover form-stealing pretty well. Monsters of Faerûn page 36. Ethereal doppelgangers (MM2 95) have a similar ability, but they have 20 HD, so it's harder to get via metamorphosis.
    Spoiler: Collectible nice things
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Faily View Post
    Read ExLibrisMortis' post...

WHY IS THERE NO LIKE BUTTON?!
    Quote Originally Posted by Keledrath View Post
    Libris: look at your allowed sources. I don't think any of your options were from those.
    My incarnate/crusader. A self-healing crowd-control melee build (ECL 8).
    My Ruby Knight Vindicator barsader. A party-buffing melee build (ECL 14).
    Doctor Despair's and my all-natural approach to necromancy.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GuestEleven View Post
    Psionic Assassin and Slayer look really cool, pretty much exactly what I'm looking for. That looks like a really good psicrystal trick. I am kind of confused on the Spellthief suggestion though, is the whole purpose of that one level for the wand trick? If so wouldn't it be easier to just make use of UMD?
    On Spellthief, it's basically a choice between that or Rogue or another class that gets the necessary class skills to qualify for your prestige classes. It still gets trapfinding and 1d6 sneak attack at the 1st level, it just gets slightly fewer skill points than Rogue. You could swap it for something like Ranger if you want more BAB, even using this variant to gain fast movement, and/or trap expert from Dungeonscape, but that doesn't get UMD as a class skill. Furthermore, using a wand is a DC 20 UMD check, you're better off just being able to use it by virtue of your class levels.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

I recommend the following build based on your prompt:

You get a number of neat synergies this way. At low levels (like level 5), you can do a routine like:

1. Open up with Never Outnumbered if possible after sneaking up with disguise, rendering the cluster of enemies cowering

2. Quick-change as a move action to reveal your true form, layering on another shaken effect. On their turn, they all will stop cowering and move to shaken (as per Imperious Command), escalating to frightened when combined with the shaken from Abominable Form. Spend your second move action hiding your abominable form again.

3. Now that the party is scattered due to the frightened condition, you can spam Quori Dread and Quick Change to repeatedly debuff and lock down enemies from range.

In a 1v1, you can lock down an enemy with Imperious Command as a move action while you spend your standard to attack.

Meanwhile, Mind Mask means your disguises are protected from many problematic divinations that might otherwise sell you out. You have psionic powers from Psywar.

Later on, you get sudden strike/sneak attack from your prcs (buffed with Craven and Dread Blade), you get the ability to use intimidate at a move action without Quori Dread (which is notable because normal intimidate is not mind-affecting like Quori Dread is and intelligent enemies may begin to get immunity to mind-affecting more commonly at higher levels), you get thought tricks to spam, and your disguises get better via Zhentarim Spy and feat choices.

Most of the feat picks are fairly self-explanatory, but Mask of Gentility may seem a bit redundant with Mind Mask. Be advised: Mask of Gentility is basically only there because it raises the sense motive DC to "get a hunch" which can otherwise make you suspicious even if players/NPCs aren't sure why.

Edit: Upon reflection, maybe it's worth putting in Practiced Manifester and Metamorphic Transfer to leverage the change shape from Cabinet Trickster? I'm not sure what options you'd have for humanoid forms with neat supernatural abilities. If there's cool stuff, try it out
    Last edited by Doctor Despair; 2024-05-09 at 09:35 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by eggynack View Post
    What I care about here, though, is that the highest standard of pedantry is upheld.
    Know-It-All
    Long Arm of the Law
    Phantom of the Opera
    Arthropods, the Bane of Giants
    Horselord
    Mother Cyst of Invention
    Rule #15: a hero is only as good as his weapon!
    Master of Disguise