New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Default Aurangh's Dragonslayers IC

The rocky bead of the barren lands gave way to a low grass hill of blue blade grass that slope gently into a meadow. It would have seem idilic, but for the broken trees and the scars of the land were battles beyond recount had taken place during the war. The land still seeped. Its open wounds made even mid distance teleportation impossible, and flying above certain heights perilous.

This was once the richest realms of humans. The vast blue grass fed countless herds of cattle that traveled unbound and free and the weirdwoods where the fae lived, were a blessing of soft magic and pleasure.

Now, devastation took the shape of craggy cliffs that opened suddenly under the roads like hungry mouths eager to devour travelers. Ahead, at the other side of the vast plains, the Blue peaks cut the horizon sharply like imposing towers of a castle. And a castle they were. The most inexpugnable fortress ever built had nothing on the massive fortress carved of live stone where once the Thane of Cawdor ruled.

But the forest came to the mountains and with it the end of Cawdor.

If the war with the fae and their corrupted fiend allies was cruel elsewhere, it took on another dimension here in Cawdor.

Alas, here you were. The last heroes of men, looking for an answer. First, you had to find the dreamer. A creature of myth that was rumored to dwell in the ruins of the weirwood across the vast blue plain.

A thunder rolled in the distance as the wild magic clouds darkened the horizon. A storm was coming.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Aurangh's Dragonslayers IC

Minerva was still wearing her brother's face and made her steed to a halt once she got a better view of the devastation that befell the Thane of Cawdor.

"Storm ahead", she speaks outloud, pointing to the ominous lightning in the distance, "You dont have some trick to control this thunderstorm, do you, Magda?"

The old crane sharing her mount made an ugly face, "Not today, my lady".

Lord Glam's firstborn's face turn into a more feminine shape, "You were supposed to call me, 'my lord', Magda. But the cat is out the hat now".

The travel was tiresome to both of women and the horses. Even the other thane with them was looking tired.

"I dont mind the rain, but wouldnt it be wise to take shelter before venturing in the weirdwoods?", she asks him, "Not that rain or sun will make this place more dangerous". She thinks for a moment as she scans the area before adding, "I guess".
    Last edited by Chimaera; 2024-05-09 at 08:09 PM.
    Ruven Feathers, tengu opportunist with a keen eye for gold and an accute scent for death.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

He merely nodded at the declaration of the storm ahead.

indeed he thought to himself silently, while his eyed tried to find his fickle companion, Blink.

It took him a few seconds, but yes, there he was, and gone. He frowned, sometimes that dog liked to teleport a little too much, but, if I had that ability, I can't say I wouldn't do the same.

Frowning, he remarked "Alas storms are outside of my area of expertise." He says flatly, he still didn't know much about Minerva, other than their small interactions as leaders of their people. This was different, they would have to show each other what they were made of, and then they would see each other differently. It was only a matter of time.

Blink vanished several more times, before appearing back to them.

"Blink find us some shelter as close to the Weirwoods as possible please." Blink nods lols his tongue, flops over and starts to scratch his back against the dirt, squirming like some four-armed snake, he then popped up, and simply vanished, after a few seconds of scanning, you can see where he went.

Spoiler
    Show

Hakkon Sigurt Nornson
    M LN Human (native outsider) Rogue 1\Sorcerer 4\Daggerspell Mage 10\Unseen Seer 1, Level 16
    Init 8, HP 146/146, Speed 30
    AC 26, Touch 19, Flat-footed 20
    Fort 11, Ref 20, Will 13
    main hand [0/10] off hand [0/10] +1 Bloodfeeding bloodstone Mithral Dagger (1d4+1, 19-20x2)
    Abilities Str 14, Dex 22, Con 16, Int 16, Wis 12, Cha 22
    [B]Effects[B] Mage Armor (16 hours), Darkvision, outsider traits
    Condition None

Blink
    Blink dog 2/RHD 4/ Ranger 8, Level 12
    Init 9, HP / , Speed 50ft
    AC 17, Touch 14, Flat-footed 13
    Fort 8, Ref 12, Will 6
    Abilities Str 10, Dex 18, Con 11, Int 10, Wis 14, Cha 10
    [B]Effects[B] Primal Instinct (24 hours), Darkvision, outsider traits, low-light vision, scent
    Condition None
    Special Dimension Door (Su; DD as CL 8thl 1/round;free; 720ft), Blink (Su; at will; free)
    Last edited by BelGareth; 2024-05-13 at 10:41 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

“Take but degree away, untune that string, And, hark, what discord follows!” -Shakespeare
    “Gnyðja mundu nú grísir, ef þeir vissi, hvat inn gamli þyldi” -Ragnar Lodbrok

"I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me." -Archilochus

Discord -Now with a recruitment bot!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Magda's eyes see more than you suspect in the barren lands ahead. He knowledge of magic brings forward her suspicions.

The scars of the land are scars in the fabric of reality. They seep wild magic into everything here. The cut is pretty clear to her, she traces her hands in the air.

"M'lady" She says. "Beware, magic is unpredictable from a hundred yards behind up to everything in front."

Blink obeys, his Supernatural abilities to Teleport seem to work unimpeded by the wild magic. But it is not unerring, the direction is always somehow off, the distance not reliable to its certainty.

Blink teleports three times and then back, his ears flat against its head, concerned.

Spoiler: How far?
    Show
    How far do you want to send him?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Blink moves as far as he can, but after two dimension doors he is off a couple hundred feet. He decideds to go back. Between his first and second jump back, his survival and observation give a picture of this wild land. The open wounds of the land are sometimes pretty deep and narrow crags that could swallow someone unaware. One must thread with care in this land.

The rolling thunder and lightning in the horizon break the sky far far away. But no rain seems to come.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Regarding Magda he sighs "Can we fly over it safely?"

Spoiler
    Show

His own checks
    Spellcraft - (1d20+18)[21]
    k.arcana - (1d20+13)[19]

Hakkon Sigurt Nornson
    M LN Human (native outsider) Rogue 1\Sorcerer 4\Daggerspell Mage 10\Unseen Seer 1, Level 16
    Fort 11, Ref 20, Will 13
    main hand [0/10] off hand [0/10] +1 Bloodfeeding bloodstone Mithral Dagger (1d4+1, 19-20x2)
    [B]Effects[B] Mage Armor (16 hours), Darkvision, outsider traits
    Condition None

Blink
    Fort 8, Ref 12, Will 6
    [B]Effects[B] Primal Instinct (24 hours), Darkvision, outsider traits, low-light vision, scent
    Condition None
    Special Dimension Door (Su; DD as CL 8thl 1/round;free; 720ft), Blink (Su; at will; free)
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

“Take but degree away, untune that string, And, hark, what discord follows!” -Shakespeare

"I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me." -Archilochus

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

"I guess even if your specialty was storms, this must probably be a weirdstorm", she says and listens to Magda's advice about the strange land they were and wild magic.

"Well, that should be more of a concern for you than for me", she hoists the magical gretaxe she carried but droped it quickly when a flash of lightning illuminated the skies. Best not to attract any lightning nor anything. "But yeah, let's try not to need magic while we are in these wild lands. But worry not: I'll protect you".

The old lady show a short smile before correcting the noblewoman, "I'm the one with a oath to protect and guide, my'lady"

As they approach the zone of wild magic, Minerva looks at the stormy sky.
    "What would happen to magic cast before entering these weirdwoods? If it is safe, I'd rather be protected from lightning".

Spoiler: History and Bard Knowledge
    Show
    Minerva wants to try to remember what she could about the ruined kingdom they stood now and use her bard knowledge to try to remember of any fairy tale she might know about these weirdwoods.

History (1d20+8)[21]
    Bardic Knowledge (1d20+9)[29]

"If you wanted safe I believe you'd rather be in the safety of your castle, instead of fleeing to this dangerous place... but here are we".
    Ruven Feathers, tengu opportunist with a keen eye for gold and an accute scent for death.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

The story of Cawdor is well known, They were the realm that got hit the worse by the war with the fae because of its location in the midst of ancient lands and a crossroads of realities. The fae from the weirdwood summoned creatures from beyond and forged alliances with fiends. Cawdor resisted, the Thane was convinced he was immortal. But the realm was ravaged by the summoned fiends. It was sudden and quick, and then as a wild fire, the hordes of madness moved into the other realms were war ensued. United, the other thanes and the fae queen pushed back the attack over time. But Cawdor was lost. Even after the creatures retreated, the land remained curse. Nothing grows and magic is erratic. And some of the beast and fiends still roam the barrens. Who knows what horrors remain.

Blink sense of survival is enough to lead you safely around the hidden chasms from where wild magic emanates and soon you are a mile into the barrens.

Little dots moving through the blue grass.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

As they progress through the area with chasms, Minerva take a peek at one of them.

"I guess falling into one of these would be really bad", she raises her eyes once again to the thunderstorm and sighs, "Maybe looking for shelter wont help much at all. Let"s press forward and find this dreamer as soon as we can".

At some point, Magda asks for a quick break, as she gathers a few specimens of the blue grass and of the soil in this strange land.

"Maybe some colleague at thr Arcane Order might find these worthy researching",she explains herself before having Melissa help her back to the horseback.

"You say your boyfriend?", Melissa ask the lady that simples deny with her head, "Alright, let's keep moving".
    Last edited by Chimaera; 2024-05-15 at 10:54 AM. Reason: Fixing speech

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

"Agreed" Hakkon said nodding in response "Let's try to do it sooner than later, that storm out here may as well force us into a crevasse."

Spoiler
    Show

Lets go!

Hakkon Sigurt Nornson
    Fort 11, Ref 20, Will 13
    Effects Mage Armor (16 hours), Darkvision, outsider traits
    Condition None

Blink
    Fort 8, Ref 12, Will 6
    Effects Primal Instinct (24 hours), Darkvision, outsider traits, low-light vision, scent
    Condition None
    Last edited by BelGareth; 2024-05-17 at 12:11 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Specks of dust you are in the stormy barren lands as you move towards the weirdwood, the rain never comes, only the thunder and the electricity that hangs in the sky, horizontal lightning exchanging energy in the high clouds.

About three hours into your walk, you spot something massive coming your way about 4000' away. Its colossal shape cut against the horizon as it lumbering strides move your way. It's like seeing a tower of a fortress rolling towards you.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Magda's eyes widen as she realize what the massive creature was.

"This is bad... That gigantic creature is an incarnum titan. They were called by the fae in the past to serve as their generals and lietnaunts. They despise creatures they perceive as weak and are master strategists", she tells her companions, "They can also fly and can see through invisibility easily".

"And he seems to have noticed us as it seems to be dashing our way", Minerva adds, "We better brace ourselves and get ready to deal with him: forget the wild magic, give us some of your magic and find cover, Magda".

Minerva pick up her greataxe and begin to sing a song of valiant heroes facing powerful villains... and triumphing.

Spoiler: Minerva's War Song
    Show
    She'll start with Inspire Legion and Inspire Toughness.

She'll be dodging the titan for Elusive Target's purpose

Magda looks for some cover and get ready to haste her allies once the titan get within 300ft from them.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Hakkon frowns listening to the details of this new obstacle. "Are we sure it means us harm?" he says watching the thing lumber towards them.

He casts a spell to fly and slowly floats above the ground, "Perhaps we can talk to it?" he says turning to this new companions.

Spoiler
    Show

Hakkon Sigurt Nornson
    Fort 11, Ref 20, Will 13
    Effects Mage Armor (16 hours), Darkvision, outsider traits, Fly (16/minutes)
    Condition None

Blink
    Fort 8, Ref 12, Will 6
    Effects Primal Instinct (24 hours), Darkvision, outsider traits, low-light vision, scent
    Condition None
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

The titan continues its march towards you, not dashing or sprinting, simply taking immense long strides. As it comes close, you start understanding the dimensions of the creature. THe size of 15 men with legs thick as oaks and long muscular arms.

Its eyes pierce the distance as the Titan stops 700' away from you and it's voice booms across the barrens In the ancient language of the Fae

WHO ARE YOU?
    Last edited by Auranghzeb; 2024-05-17 at 04:37 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Singing, Melissa look at thr titanic creature and answer him with the refrain of her inspiring song.

"We are the champions, my friend".

Magda look at the titan and hesitate a moment, "I'm Magda Winter and this is Lady Melissa from House Glam. Who are you?"
    Last edited by Chimaera; 2024-05-18 at 08:57 PM. Reason: Fixing speech

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

The thunder rolls as you try speaking. Your voice barely making it through.

The Titan's booms once again.

INSECTS, NOTHING ELSE. THIS OUGHTA DO IT!

It opens a hand and from across the barren lands you see four metheoric spheres fly your way striking each of you and exploding in a rage of fire and burning stone, the barrens explode.

The Titan does not even stop to see the damage, turns around and continues his march through the barren lands. When the explosion dust settles, you see it walking away from you 1000' with his back turned.

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    Quickened Meteor Swarm
    Last edited by Auranghzeb; 2024-05-19 at 10:52 AM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

After being blasted by the feral Fae Titan, Hakkon picked him selfup and patted his clothes down, regarding Blink he was none too happy "Lets try to avoid things like that, eh Blink?" he says implying it was his fault "I have no wish to sever the fate lines of such a magnificent creature, especially not in a place like this, where magic isn't functioning well."

Spoiler
    Show

Hakkon Sigurt Nornson
    Init 8, HP 156/146, Speed 30
    Fort 11, Ref 20, Will 13
    Effects Mage Armor (16 hours), Darkvision, outsider traits, Fly (16/minutes)
    Condition None

Blink
    Init 9, HP 104/132, Speed 50ft
    AC 18, Touch 15, Flat-footed 13
    Fort 8, Ref 13, Will 6
    Abilities Str 10, Dex 20, Con 11, Int 10, Wis 14, Cha 10
    Condition None
    Last edited by BelGareth; Today at 12:25 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Magda is taken by surprise by the fiery assault of the titan.

They survived it: they have endured far worse. What was tbe worse however was that she forgot to cast her usual protective spells, some of which would make her mostly immume to the attack.

Could it be her old age was already taking her memory away? The thought of becoming a nuisance and losing her mind terrorized the old lady: she had to be on her sharpest wits to protect Minerva.

The warlady was pretty much unactached by the meteor swarm and would even go charging the titan, but saw that her handmaiden suffered far worse, so she stoped her singing amd look at the thane.

Seems they prefered to avoid harm and trouble, so she remained silent and watched the titan leave. Omce its further away, she says to her group.

"Next time we meet this titan I'll rip his heart out", she promised outloud, "Where we go next? And come closer, Magda. Let me patch your wounds".

Spoiler: Wand of Lesser Vigor
    Show
    She'll risk 4 charges over 4 minutes.