New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

Default Soulknife Ranger?

I'm messing around with some ideas for a Ninja-type character.

I'd like to have a decent selection of tricks (whether in the form of abilities or utility spells). However, when in combat, I want the main focus to be on weapons, rather than spells (so probably not a full caster).

Rogue obviously gives some skills and mobility with Cunning Action (Sneak Attack also seems a good fit). I like the Soulknife because weapons that can kill a target without leaving a mark on their bodies seems very appropriate for a fantasy-Ninja.

The thing is, I don't find Rogue a very interesting class beyond the early levels. Apart from the 9th level Soulknife abilities, it feels like it largely runs out of tricks. Thus, my plan would be to switch to Ranger after Lv3.

In terms of Ranger subclasses, I'm thinking either Fey Wanderer or Swarmkeeper (I'm aware I'll have to speak to my DM Re. Extra Attack with Psychic Blades).

Tasha's Ranger in general gives some nice movement abilities, as well as some spells (possibly even Cantrips, if I go that route).

I guess what I'd like to know is whether this sounds like a viable build, or if I'll just be setting myself up for disappointment?

Also, if it sounds viable, any thoughts regarding Feats or Spell Choices or other such?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: Soulknife Ranger?

In 5e, damn near everything is viable. Not 100% optimal, perhaps, but absolutely viable. Personally, I think this sounds like a really fun character.

I think I'd lean towards Gloomstalker for thematic reasons. As for spells, since your Soulknife will be your primary means of dealing damage (both in melee and ranged), you can go for a lot of utility spells. Rangers don't get many spells, so you have to really dial in on your theme and goals for the character. I'd grab Hunter's Mark and Cure Wounds just because, and then a bunch of utility or crowd-control spells.

TBH, thinking about it, I kinda want to play this character now. Good idea!

EDIT: Also, if your DM is open to it, you could use the Rogue from the UA6 Playtest. We know already that Soulknife is going to be core for the 2024 PHB, and the UA6 rogue gets Cunning Strike, which adds a lot of versatility as well. It wouldn't be a stretch at all to play it that way considering the 2024 PHB is only a few months away.
    Last edited by Oramac; 2024-05-08 at 08:39 AM.
    Insert Clever Signature Here

3. - Top - End - #3
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Pooky the Imp View Post
    In terms of Ranger subclasses, I'm thinking either Fey Wanderer or Swarmkeeper (I'm aware I'll have to speak to my DM Re. Extra Attack with Psychic Blades).
    Not sure what you mean by this, Extra Attack works fine with Psychic Blades.

I would go with Fey Wanderer over Swarmkeeper - less competition for your BA, and there is thematic synergy as well because Fey Wanderer deals psychic damage ("mind-scarring magic") too. Beguiling Twist also gives you a decent use for your reaction.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

Thanks for the feedback, both.

Quote Originally Posted by Oramac View Post
    In 5e, damn near everything is viable. Not 100% optimal, perhaps, but absolutely viable. Personally, I think this sounds like a really fun character.

TBH, thinking about it, I kinda want to play this character now. Good idea!
    Thanks. Glad it's not a stupid idea.

Hopefully it will be fun to play.

I think I'd lean towards Gloomstalker for thematic reasons. As for spells, since your Soulknife will be your primary means of dealing damage (both in melee and ranged), you can go for a lot of utility spells. Rangers don't get many spells, so you have to really dial in on your theme and goals for the character. I'd grab Hunter's Mark and Cure Wounds just because, and then a bunch of utility or crowd-control spells.
    Thanks for the advice. Gloomstalker is definitely another strong possibility.

Whichever subclass I go with, I'll look towards taking those two core spells.

EDIT: Also, if your DM is open to it, you could use the Rogue from the UA6 Playtest. We know already that Soulknife is going to be core for the 2024 PHB, and the UA6 rogue gets Cunning Strike, which adds a lot of versatility as well. It wouldn't be a stretch at all to play it that way considering the 2024 PHB is only a few months away.
    I'm not sure my DM will go for it, but I'll look into the possibility.

Interesting to know that Soulknife will be core. I haven't been keeping up with the playtest material - do you know if it's largely the same, or if they're having another go at changing the mechanics for psionics?

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Not sure what you mean by this, Extra Attack works fine with Psychic Blades.
    I thought RAW you could only make a single attack with it because it only creates a single blade that vanishes after you attack? Or was it errata'd or FAQ'd at some point?

I would go with Fey Wanderer over Swarmkeeper - less competition for your BA, and there is thematic synergy as well because Fey Wanderer deals psychic damage ("mind-scarring magic") too. Beguiling Twist also gives you a decent use for your reaction.
    All good points. Fey Wanderer also gives Misty Step, which is a spell I really want on a Ninja for the classic 'disappear in a puff of smoke.'

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

The thing is, I don't find Rogue a very interesting class beyond the early levels. Apart from the 9th level Soulknife abilities, it feels like it largely runs out of tricks. Thus, my plan would be to switch to Ranger after Lv3.
    Yeah, I had the same idea, except I went Bard after three levels of Soulknife.

I guess what I'd like to know is whether this sounds like a viable build
    Yes. Soulknife has solid combat damage and some of the best skill use in the game. Definitely viable.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

6. - Top - End - #6

I thought RAW you could only make a single attack with it because it only creates a single blade that vanishes after you attack? Or was it errata'd or FAQ'd at some point?
    They appear and vanish after any attack you make with the Attack action. Extra Attack uses the Attack action, so you get and lose a blade for as many attacks as you get, as long as you're using the Attack action. (What you can't do is, say, combine it with a bladetrip, or Multiattack.)

You also can't combine it with Reaction attacks, which is the Soulknife's biggest weakness (and which I hope they address in 2024.)
    Last edited by Psyren; 2024-05-08 at 04:23 PM.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Not gonna lie, this makes me want to make a Whispers Bard / Fey Wanderer / Soulknife just to stunt on bear totem barbarians.
    Roll for it
    5e Houserules and Homebrew
    Old Extended Signature
    Awesome avatar by Ceika

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

They appear and vanish after any attack you make with the Attack action. Extra Attack uses the Attack action, so you get and lose a blade for as many attacks as you get, as long as you're using the Attack action. (What you can't do is, say, combine it with a bladetrip, or Multiattack.)

You also can't combine it with Reaction attacks, which is the Soulknife's biggest weakness (and which I hope they address in 2024.)
    It's not so clear, it doesn't say when you attack it says:

"Whenever you take the Attack action, you can manifest a psychic blade from your free hand and make the attack with that blade."

You only take the attack action once, and it doesn't say whenever you make an attack, so RAW, I think you only get to do 1 attack, and then it vanishes, otherwise the Bladesinger Soulknife gets truly broken.
    Wanna try the homebrew system me and my friends play? It was developed by a friend of mine and all you need to play is found here

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by Rukelnikov View Post
    It's not so clear, it doesn't say when you attack it says:

"Whenever you take the Attack action, you can manifest a psychic blade from your free hand and make the attack with that blade."

You only take the attack action once, and it doesn't say whenever you make an attack, so RAW, I think you only get to do 1 attack, and then it vanishes, otherwise the Bladesinger Soulknife gets truly broken.
    The feature mentions "the attack" because that's usually all rogues get. There's nothing in there that stops Extra Attack working with it.

I'm not seeing the issue with Bladesinger, the same bladetrip errata that interferes with Shadow Blade interferes with Psychic Blades.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

The feature mentions "the attack" because that's usually all rogues get. There's nothing in there that stops Extra Attack working with it.

I'm not seeing the issue with Bladesinger, the same bladetrip errata that interferes with Shadow Blade interferes with Psychic Blades.
    There are features that say "whenever you do an attack you can do X", this one doesn't has that wording, by RAW it only works for one attack, assuming that it works on every attack because Rogues normally can't make more than one is not reading RAW.
    Wanna try the homebrew system me and my friends play? It was developed by a friend of mine and all you need to play is found here

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Interesting to know that Soulknife will be core. I haven't been keeping up with the playtest material - do you know if it's largely the same, or if they're having another go at changing the mechanics for psionics?
    We don't know for sure. But they've said that they're giving everything a good review, so it's possible it'll change. I don't expect it to change a lot, but there's likely to be tweaks here and there.

Extra Attack
    As a DM myself, I would allow it with the Soulknife. But the real takeaway here is: ask your DM.

12. - Top - End - #12

There are features that say "whenever you do an attack you can do X", this one doesn't has that wording, by RAW it only works for one attack, assuming that it works on every attack because Rogues normally can't make more than one is not reading RAW.
    I disagree with your reading of RAW. There's nothing else to say beyond that.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

13. - Top - End - #13
    Bugbear in the Playground

DrowGirl

Yeah this sounds like a solid build!

I would would also recommend gloomstalker; they're honestly pretty ninja-y all on their own. Burst striking (assassination), additional movement, invisible to dark vision, spells; and that's just what they get at level 3.

I would strongly advise you take ranger first, up to 5. You'll get better weapon and armor proficiencies, and most importantly, you'll get extra attack as soon as possible. Rogue 3 cooks, rogue 3 ranger 1 you're gonna feel like a genius, rogue 3 ranger 2, 3 and 4 you're gonna want to kick yourself. Not getting extra attack till 8 and only having a 2d6 sneak attack, it's gonna be very underpowered.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

I disagree with your reading of RAW. There's nothing else to say beyond that.
    You can disagree, but you are still wrong

15. - Top - End - #15

You can disagree, but you are still wrong
    No u

Actually, let's forestall 40 pages of this, you can have the last word.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

No u

Actually, let's forestall 40 pages of this, you can have the last word.
    At least I justify my reading, I'm providing an argument, you are the one saying "no its not" without giving any compelling reason.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Skrum View Post
    I would strongly advise you take ranger first, up to 5. You'll get better weapon and armor proficiencies, and most importantly, you'll get extra attack as soon as possible. Rogue 3 cooks, rogue 3 ranger 1 you're gonna feel like a genius, rogue 3 ranger 2, 3 and 4 you're gonna want to kick yourself. Not getting extra attack till 8 and only having a 2d6 sneak attack, it's gonna be very underpowered.
    I see where you're coming from, but wouldn't it be better to at least start with 1 level of Rogue for the extra skill?

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I see where you're coming from, but wouldn't it be better to at least start with 1 level of Rogue for the extra skill?
    Depends how important that skill is to you and the group. Personally, I would say that unless that extra skill is Perception, Investigation, or Insight, it's probably not worth it.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Colossus in the Playground

Per RAW, it looks like you can only get one attack with the psychic blade.
    Per how I'd rule, you can make every attack with it. Including AoOs, but most definitely all attacks on your turn.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show