New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Default Re: Favored Classes in 5e

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    I 100% agree but I'm just engaging with the idea as a thought experiment. I wouldn't actually want this anywhere near 5e.
    A thought experiment is exactly what this is. If it evolves well enough, I might consider using it in my games, but I'm not looking to impose a mandatory new feature for all games. It's entirely up to the reader whether they want to copy the idea or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    I'm not sure how this would work. "If you multiclass before you get your subclass, you need all the prerequisites, but once you get your subclass now you get to ignore them?" Talk about making Hexblade dips even more popular
    I think it would work better if a favored subclass gave an extra benefit after you reach the appropriate level, and the extra benefit would need to be balanced against this.

I think it could work best if it's gated behind a feat, which of course would require a lot more work than just a thought process probing for ideas and thoughts.
    Last edited by Arkhios; 2024-05-08 at 04:02 AM.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Default Re: Favored Classes in 5e

As a semi-fix for the Subclass problem, and to make it more of an actual bonus, and to keep it Multiclass and...

Make the bonus based on your levels in your SECOND highest class.
    Quick example: +1 max hp for every level in 2nd highest class. If you have 5+ levels in your second class you get an extra Skill proficiency (from lists of any classes you already have).

EDIT TIME
    Spent some time mulling it over and this is what I got.
    NOTE: this is not fully fleshed out or 'flavored' or anything. All examples are just quick examples to illustrate the idea.

The short version is 'Favored stacks for ASI milestones'.
    Every race will have two(-ish) Favored Classes.
    ALL levels in ALL Favored Classes will stack with levels in your Highest-leveled-Non-Favored-Class (HNFC) for purposes of granting ASI.
    Multiclass ASI's will be granted every four levels.

The total benefit is minimal, you'll never get better than a Single class. But notable, because you'll still be able to get 5 ASI.

Humans and Half-Elves have Favored class of "highest leveled class". Simple, basic. As long as they only have 2 classes they get full stacking.

Races with sub-races will have one class as the 'general' favored, and each sub-race gets a specific more tailored to them.
    Elves have Favored Ranger.
    High elves also get Wizard, Wood get Druid, and Drow get Sorcerer.
    Any given Elf only gets 2 favored, but slightly different options depending on the elf.

Races without sub-races might get a favored class, and a selection of sub-classes.
    Dragonborn favor Paladins, but they also favor Dragonic Bloodline Sorcerer, Drakewarden Ranger, and Ascendent Dragon Monk. (notice the theme? It's subtle)

To fix 'the Fighter problem' maybe require a minimum amount of Fighter to get the extra?
    Normally they get extra at 6 and 14, so "if your total level is 8+ and at least 4 of those levels are Fighter you get a bonus ASI." Likewise, total level 16, at least 8 fighter.
    Last edited by grarrrg; 2024-05-08 at 03:15 PM.