New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Default Is there anything special about Channel Divinity?

Channel Divinity is, I think, one of the rare cross-class features, along with spell slots. It doesn't come up much, but I'm pretty sure using a Paladin Channel Divinity uses up your ability to activate a different CD gained from cleric levels until you rest.

Other than that, I'm not sure what -if anything -distinguishes CD from other magical effects. Does an anti magic field stop Channel Divinity, or is it sufficiently deity-based to overpower it, for example?

I'm curious about this mainly for homebrew purposes - it looks like there is a seed of something in the feature to distinguish divine and arcane power sources for magic, but I am not sure how much that space has been explored...

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Imp

Default Re: Is there anything special about Channel Divinity?

Quote Originally Posted by Notafish View Post
    Other than that, I'm not sure what -if anything -distinguishes CD from other magical effects. Does an anti magic field stop Channel Divinity, or is it sufficiently deity-based to overpower it, for example?
    Only the "roll 1d100 for Divine Intervention" part works in anti-magic, by my understanding.

Otherwise Channel Divinity is magic but not a spell, meaning it bypasses what affects spells but not what affects magical effects.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Correct. Paladin's Channel Divinity uses and effects are interchangeable with Cleric's Channel Divinity uses and effects, and vice versa, and as per the Multiclassing Rules, Channel Divinity from multiple sources do not give additional uses; in other words, the uses do not stack. DC's for each classes' channel divinity options are still used and calculated separately.

In other other words, if you multiclass between the two classes, you only get one use of Channel Divinity pe short rest, which is usable for all the options you have from both classes, unless you have at least 6 cleric levels, in which case you'd get two uses of Channel Divinity instead, as is normal for a 6th level cleric.
    Last edited by Arkhios; 2024-05-07 at 06:10 AM.
    Please be mindful of what you say in public; sadly not all can handle sarcasm or The Internet Credibility.
    My Homebrew:
    Base Class: Warlord | Roguish Archetype: Inquisitor | Roguish Archetype: Thug | Primal Path: Rage Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Anon von Zilch View Post
    Words actually mean things, people!

Ongoing game & character:
    Sajan Uttam, human Monk 6/Fist of Irori 3 (Legacy of Fire)

D&D/Pathfinder CV of sorts
    3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

It's fairly arbitrary that that share the same name thus don't stack.
    what is the point of living if you can't deadlift?

All credit to the amazing avatar goes to thoroughlyS