New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #1143 - The Discussion Thread

I've speculated previously on how Durkon might have enough shared experiences with Redcloak to convince him to at least listen to him, but this is also a case where I wonder if Durkon's poor charisma actually works in his favor-- given Redcloak's intelligence and wisdom (I presume), I imagine he's going to be a difficult sell if he thinks whoever brings up the idea is lying to him-- but Durkon is easily the member of the Order least likely to do that, between his general Lawfulness / trustworthiness, and his lack of the charisma necessary to Bluff people.

I wonder if this will be explicitly mentioned by Thor.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by jwhouk View Post
    "You pulled off one miracle, what's another?"

Thor expects a lot out of his Durkon, don't he?
    The reward for work well done is more work.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

3. - Top - End - #93
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Diplomacy might not even be necessary. Redcloak is special only in the sense that he's literally wearing the red cloak, right? Could Durkon don it and access the Dark One's quiddity during the sealing ritual? Could the cloak be used directly to fuel it?

4. - Top - End - #94
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Winterhorn View Post
    Wow! This is amazing! I have to wonder, was this Rich's plan for the dark one all along (well, obviously after DCF, when he made a plan and set up the plot), or is this random stuff pulled out recently?
    I very much doubt that it was "random stuff pulled out recently."

Quote Originally Posted by vivalanapoleon View Post
    Diplomacy might not even be necessary. Redcloak is special only in the sense that he's literally wearing the red cloak, right? Could Durkon don it and access the Dark One's quiddity during the sealing ritual? Could the cloak be used directly to fuel it?
    The cloak only works for an actual priest of the Dark One, as I understand it. So, no.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by vivalanapoleon View Post
    No, because Durkon isn't a priest of the Dark One. And Thor specifically mentions "even a 9th level spell would be enough" or something, and Durkon isn't capable of those.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Ettin in the Playground

How fitting that Durkon was originally lied to by Hurak about Thor sending him on a divine mission of diplomacy.
    THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

7. - Top - End - #97

Quote Originally Posted by Winterhorn View Post
    Wow! This is amazing! I have to wonder, was this Rich's plan for the dark one all along (well, obviously after DCF, when he made a plan and set up the plot), or is this random stuff pulled out recently?
    Rich turned OOTS from a joke-a-day to a longform-story comic pretty early--probably around the time Elan cast Summon Exposition and the strip suddenly grew a plot. The exact details may have been in flux, but the outline was set long ago and whole scenes crafted at the beginning have had almost no alteration when eventually released (cf Durkon Turns Undead).

8. - Top - End - #98
    Ogre in the Playground

All they need is to defeat Team Evil, capture Redcloak, tell him what's what and have Elan wear him down by repeatedly saying "Pretty please?" until he agrees to cooperate.
    ungelic is us

9. - Top - End - #99
    Dwarf in the Playground

Thor certainly knows how to give a pep talk. I guess it comes with the territory.

Once again, what we need isn't just a cleric. We need Durkon. Though I wonder if we actually need Redcloak himself. I mean, this'll probably shake up to be an interesting character arc for him too, but, in theory, it can be any powerful cleric for the Dark One, right?
    Last edited by Psychronia; 2018-10-08 at 03:57 PM.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Barbarian in the Playground

Sigh..after so many eons and so many worlds built and destroyed by the Snarl, the Gods haven't learned yet to play along. That's the true tragedy.
    ""Jeez, this dress! i look like a dominatrix""
    (self-loathing): ""Actually , you look like a sorceress or something""
    ""Hey, no need to get cruel""

11. - Top - End - #101
    Pixie in the Playground

The fact that in this comic world Loki is brother to Thor bothers me way more than it should
    English is not my native language, pls be kind to my grammar

12. - Top - End - #102
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGirl

It took me a while to realize that the lines in panel 2 were a close-up on Thor rather than some symbolic representation of new mini-Snarls threatening to spring between the quarreling gods.

The comic itself has mostly confirmed what we forumites had already inferred, but it's nice to have a confirmation of both what happened between the gods and the new quest that Durkon has received.
    Last edited by Linneris; 2018-10-08 at 04:21 PM.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Firbolg in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by woweedd View Post
    First of all, I ever got the snes XYkon feared death much. He used that phrase as a rhetorical device and he became a Lich on a lark. Also, you act like Xyon could nto easily kill Redcloak if he wanted. Redcloak controls him in the same way your cat controls you:It may think it's in charge, but you're still in total control.
    Xykon may not have many ranks in religion, but he knows damn well what happens to a CE mass-murderer when they die, and it's not to become a Demon Lord with dominion over all they survey.

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    "Unless properly managed, work flows to the competent person until they submerge".

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Pilgrim View Post
    The fact that in this comic world Loki is brother to Thor bothers me way more than it should
    That's also canon in the Norse religion; both were sons of Odin, but by different mothers.
    Spoiler: And in the MCU.
    Show
    https://youtu.be/EsghUIbr2TQ
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

"It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)

14. - Top - End - #104
    Ogre in the Playground

Wow, that's a tall order.

Hope you've got something a little stronger than "pwetty pwease" to persuade them Thor, because Durkon's hidden persuasion power doesn't sound like it will be nearly enough to sell "instead of using this thing to empower your god, help us put it beyond anyone's reach".
    "They couldn't know that the points from the mainline to the siding were frozen, and the signal should have been set at 'DANGER', but snow had forced it down."
    - The Flying Kipper

15. - Top - End - #105
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGirl

Oh! I know how the Dark One can be convinced; all the deities need to do is is give Dark One this amazing fashion tip:

More spikes.

Because seriously, who doesn't want to look great in front of their followers?
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    No, it's obviously a darker and edgier version of The Very Hungry Caterpillar.

GW

CATNIP FOR THE CAT GOD! MILK FOR THE MILK BOWL!

16. - Top - End - #106
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shining Wrath View Post
    That's also canon in the Norse religion; both were sons of Odin, but by different mothers.
    Spoiler: And in the MCU.
    Show
    https://youtu.be/EsghUIbr2TQ
    Uh. No. Pretty sure that in Norse mythology, Loki is Odin's blood brother (that is through a blood pact not biological) which makes him Thor's uncle, if anything.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Barbarian in the Playground

RangerGuy

So, let's say RC eventually comes around to the idea. I'm assuming that by "the process of closing the rifts", Thor means the making of new Gates, with RC as the divine caster. This brings two problems to my mind:

1- The Gates still exist, and so does the Ritual, perpetuating the risk of the Gates being used against the gods (specially if RC double-crosses TDO while doing it, without the god ever giving up on his Plan).

2- New rifts will still appear "in a few thousand years or so". RC is unlikely to still be alive by then, and again, if they don't convince TDO to give up on his Plan, someone will have to pull out the same "convince a high priest to betray his god to patch up reality" with the new "Redcloak", who will serve a TDO who is wiser against the shceme, no less.

So, what Thor just proposed is a temporary stopgap at most, it's just buying time, they'll still need to somehow convince TDO to play ball with the other pantheons (and the other pantheons to accept it).
    Quote Originally Posted by Stricken View Post
    I tip my hat to you, Giant. For every person who rules-nitpicks you, there are bound to be ten times as many fans who are just blown away by how excellent your storytelling is.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Uh. No. Pretty sure that in Norse mythology, Loki is Odin's blood brother (that is through a blood pact not biological) which makes him Thor's uncle, if anything.
    "Mythology" and "canon" are practically mutually exclusive anyway.
    ungelic is us

19. - Top - End - #109

Quote Originally Posted by Shining Wrath View Post
    Loki's father, Fárbauti, was a jötunn (giant), and his mother was Laufrey.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by chy03001 View Post
    Oh dear...

I wonder if purple is just a fusion of blue and red gods...

Does that mean green was a fusion of blue and yellow?
    No. This is not Steven Universe. The colors are just surfacial indicator of the underlying quiddities, which Thor understands even though Durkon doesn't, so I don't think he is mistaken here.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hroşila View Post
    All they need is to defeat Team Evil, capture Redcloak, tell him what's what and have Elan wear him down by repeatedly saying "Pretty please?" until he agrees to cooperate.
    Sounds like a plan.
    Quote Originally Posted by hroşila View Post
    "Mythology" and "canon" are practically mutually exclusive anyway.
    True. But that particular thing comes from Marvel, not from "Norse religion".
    Forum Wisdom

22. - Top - End - #112

In my opinion, Thor's best move is to get an invitation to the Godsmoot delivered to Redcloak, complete with rules, especially the one that high priests may never be attacked. Thor's minions should have already watched Redcloak and realised he'd never help the other gods without his god's approval. Of course, the Dark One has a secret plan but diplomacy at the Godsmoot and a LOT of concessions might convince him to aid with repairs instead. Might.
    Matthew Greet
    My purpose in life is to play games.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Pixie in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    The Peter Principle: TLDR version, people who do good work keep getting promoted until they no longer do good work
    "We don't play Dungeons and Dragons, we play Politics and Poor Decisions"

24. - Top - End - #114
    Halfling in the Playground

So how does one trick a goblin to cast a 9th level spell at the gate?

25. - Top - End - #115
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGirl

The circumstance bonus should be to Durkon's intimidate check (not his diplomacy) and should arise after he has captured Redclaok and given him a good beating. Persuading a person to change their entire ideology and goals is a near impossible diplomacy check, forcing them to do something when they are under your control is a pretty easy intimidate check. From a story perspective it adds an interesting ethical question as well - is torture justified when it's the only way to save the world?

Do we think that magically compelling Redcloak to cast the spell would work?
    Last edited by Liquor Box; 2018-10-08 at 05:37 PM.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Colossus in the Playground

"Let's torture a cleric who's level 17+ and higher level than any of us, specifically into casting a ninth-level spell."

Ethical issues aside (which they would not be, nowhere close), sounds like a brilliant plan.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    "Let's torture a cleric who's level 17+ and higher level than any of us, specifically into casting a ninth-level spell."

Ethical issues aside (which they would not be, nowhere close), sounds like a brilliant plan.
    If they are able to defeat him, why not? Defeating him (and thus making him prisoner) seems the hardest part of the enterprise, and defeating him has always been the Order's goal, so they must see it as realistic (despite not knowing about the MitD's split loyalties).

Persuading him seems much less realistic to me.

If persuading intelligent people who have entrenched and justified (a justification that they buy into, even if you don't) ideologies and goals to do a complete u-turn were plausible then the world we live in would be a very different place. If such persuasion were realistic, why wouldn't you apply it in the real world to get a politician who you vehemently disagree with to do a u-turn and instead stand for policies you prefer (or if you're not persuasive, why would another person not do the same). The answer is because it it nigh impossible to change a person's deeply entrenched views by persuasion. Realistically, the prospects of Durkon persuading Redcloak to go the opposite direction to his plans, is about as high as the chances of someone persuading Hitler to foster an inclusive society.

It is possible that the order persuading Redcloak will be something that happens in the comic, but if it does it would be a disappointingly unrealistic outcome for me. Certainly far less realistic than the Order capturing Redcloak and compelling him to cast the spell.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Liquor Box View Post
    realistic [...] realistic [...] the world we live in [...] realistic [...] real world [...] Realistically [...] unrealistic [...] realistic
    I thought about writing a complicated and unnecessarily long-winded reply but I think this gets the issue with your point across much more efficently.
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2018-10-08 at 06:09 PM.
    Forum Wisdom

29. - Top - End - #119

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    I thought about writing a complicated and unnecessarily long-winded reply but I think this gets the issue with your point across much more efficently.
    The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction has to be believable.
    - Mark Twain.
    Wind & Sound Elemental Eric Greenhilt avatar by Akrim.elf
    Bodyguard in Lix's Harem
    Ninja-Pirate of BvS's Privateer village! Come and join me!
    My Extended Signature
    My Pokemon!

30. - Top - End - #120
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Crisis21 View Post
    The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction has to be believable.
    - Mark Twain.
    Leaving aside the difference between realism, verisimilitude and believability, Liquor Box is also missing the obvious third option: trick Redcloak into casting the spell the Order needs.
    Forum Wisdom