Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #914 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by The Pilgrim View Post
    Half-Orc Babarians are.
    Assuming that he's alive

Quote Originally Posted by Samalpetey View Post
    That's what I was saying, moderately powerful. I wasn't saying she could do much to Tarquin at all
    Ah, gotcha,. Yeah, definitely agree there. In all honesty, if Sabine does attack Tarquin now I wouldn't be surprised if Laurin could just bind her. And wouldn't that be fun.
    Last edited by Snowfire; 2013-08-26 at 08:50 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuintonBeck View Post
    Many thanks to Snowfire for collating all these. He's a madman, but he's a helpful madman.
    Spoiler: Things
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Mynxae View Post
    Damn you Snowfire. I cried.
    Quote Originally Posted by Falcon777 View Post
    T_T I swear, you just made me cry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    Well, here's another for your sig, Snowfire.

<struck dumb>

2. - Top - End - #92
    Colossus in the Playground

Aaaaand it looks like we have our answer on both fronts (Sabine and whether or not Nale's coming back). I cannot wait to see what she's going to do now. She may have officially become a wild card.

Nice touch with the blood by the way. Just something that made me chuckle.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by attriel View Post
    And I think the title refers to "Final nail in the coffin", ie: Sabine is going to TOTALLY kill Tarqiun. Also, I suppose, "No, seriously, he's *******-evil, folks. the discussion is OVER AND DONE. FINI." ;)
    I severely doubt it. Tarquin is a lot more powerful than Sabine and he knows she's still floating around somewhere. Not to mention he has alot of backup. (He knows full well she's a succubus and was banished)

She's Sabine will be reduced to trying to bamboozle others into doing it. Honestly, I think Sabine will try and get herself killed. If anyone is going to kill tarquin, it will be Elan or Xykon, not the last of the b-string villians of the Linear Guild.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggs View Post
    I don't know, but suddenly Tarquin doesn't seem to be that smart to me anymore
    It's a continuing pattern with him. His big blind spot is personal relationships & feelings. He didn't understand Nale, he doesn't understand Elan. Nor does he understand Sabine - he knows she and Nale had a relationship but he apparently hasn't even considered that she might care that Nale was killed.
    "The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right." - Mark Twain

5. - Top - End - #95
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Well, that puts an end to Malack getting restored. A shame, I like his character a lot.

How long till V returns? His 20 minutes should be close to being used up, unless the IFCC is taking everyone's turn at once.
    Team Forum Nitpickers, IFCC pawn

6. - Top - End - #96
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

That...was a seventy-two inch...plasma screen TV.

Well then, how shall this come back to bite Tarquin in the end?

7. - Top - End - #97
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Well...that was final. Methinks that the title of the strip refers to the finality of Nale's disposal by Laurin. Who is turning out to be delightfully ruthless without the chillingly cold blooded nature of Tarquin.

This entire series of strips has been excellent. Tight storytelling, clear portrayal of the motives of everyone except Nale (I'm thinking the story of why he hated Malack will be in the collection this storyline goes in) and outstanding characterization and timing. This has all been years in the making, and it shows. Thanks, Giant.

Regarding Tarquin and his running meta-commentary on the roles everyone plays in the comic, it reminds me -strangely - of nothing so much as Caboose, one of the funnier (and more broken) characters in the Red vs. Blue comic webseries. When the creators were asked why Caboose was so nuts, they responded by explaining that he is the only person in the cast who knows that they are all characters in a video game. How much of Tarquin's outlook and ruthlessness are because he knows he exists only as a narrative foil for his son?

As for Sabine...Tarquin discounts her, because he suspects her feelings for Nale were simply artifice for the sake of her job. But not only is that clearly not the case, she's also excellently placed to do something about it. She knows she can't hurt Tarquin alone; she knows that Elan can't beat him, and may not be able to for years; and she knows that the IFCC doesn't care.

But tied up right there is someone who is powerful enough, and ruthless enough, to do the job, with some convincing. And he's currently strongly motivated to make a deal that releases him from his obligations to her bosses. If Sabine can get her hands on the IFCC/Vaarsuvius contracts, it's very possible she can convince V. to help her kill Tarquin. I suspect even V's raven would call that a good deal.

Can't wait to see how it falls out. And wondering where in the Planes Nale is going to end up.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DeadMG View Post
    We explicitly see Tarquin stash the dagger with Nale's blood on it, and we know that even one drop would be enough for Ressurrection. Tarquin's done enough to destroy the body to make Laurin happy, but it's still not a done deal that Nale could never be revived.
    To you, and to anyone still stubborn enough to believe this, read my lips:

Nale. Is. Not. Coming. Back.

Come on, that was even explicitely stated in this strip. Let go of your denial, it won't lead you anywhere.
    Spoiler
    Show

DM: At the end of the meal, the innkeeper is bringing you the cheese plate. Roll for initiative.
    PC: Excuse me, what?
    DM: I said, roll for initiative. They like their cheese really ripe in these parts. They have the ooze type.

"Excuse me, but... is it a GOOD or a BAD thing when the DM can't help bursting into laughter every time he hears the phrase 'level-appropriate encounter'? No, just curious..."

Extended signature

9. - Top - End - #99
    Halfling in the Playground

BardGirl

Goodness, that last panel. You can just feel the rage radiating off her. Fantastic. :)

10. - Top - End - #100
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Alleran View Post
    Looks like not even Haley is willing to back Elan's views on this. Nale had it coming. It'd have happened long before now if Tarquin hadn't been protecting him all this time (and if it had, Malack would almost certainly still be alive).
    His twin just died. That's heart-wrenching, regardless of the relationship. He feels the way he does because he's the good twin, not the neutral twin.

Haley is dealing with the fact of losing a recurring annoyance. Elan is dealing with the fact of losing his brother. No resemblance.

11. - Top - End - #101

Malack died 200 years ago. And, frankly, destroying his Vampiric form is probably the nearest thing to a good act that Nale ever performed.
    Unlife, then. I'm sure you know what I meant. As far as whether it was a good act or not, it doesn't really enter the equation. Malack was Tarquin's best friend. If Tarquin hadn't been protecting Nale all this time, the current situation would never have come up, and thus Nale would likely be dead and Malack still alive (for a given definition of "alive").

His twin just died. That's heart-wrenching, regardless of the relationship. He feels the way he does because he's the good twin, not the neutral twin.

Haley is dealing with the fact of losing a recurring annoyance. Elan is dealing with the fact of losing his brother. No resemblance.
    Of the Order, the only one who might have had cause to support Elan was Haley. Roy, Durkula and Belkar almost certainly wouldn't, and it's now clear that Haley is probably with the other three. That's all.
    Last edited by Alleran; 2013-08-26 at 09:01 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slipperychicken View Post
    I guess this forum is some kind of mystical afterlife for dnd nerds who die during internet discussions? All the greatest internet heroes argue here every day about physics and dnd, rise again when slain, and enjoy a dining hall which serves them unlimited quantities of heavenly food like ramen, soda, alcohol, and birthday cake.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Tippy View Post
    Yes, the underwear of my epic wizards are more than capable of conquering your average world on their own.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Barbarian in the Playground

Is Sabine gonna find Nale's soul wandering in the lower planes?
    Last edited by Vinsfeld; 2013-08-26 at 08:58 AM.
    Power equals power

The hero of any story can defy danger - but only a special hero can defy stories themselves.

13. - Top - End - #103

Quote Originally Posted by Wou View Post
    If anyone can resurrect a disintegrated corpse it's Redcloak. And she have some valuable info about threats to the Plan to offer.
    Uh oh.
    A game is a fictional construct created for the sake of the players, not the other way around. If you have a question "How do I keep X from happening at my table," and you feel that the out-of-game answer "Talk the the other people at your table" won't help, then the in-game answers "Remove mechanics A, B, and/or C, impose mechanics L, M, and/or N" will not help either.

Tragak's Planar Reconstruction Archive (current active project: Acheron)

Avatar Credit goes to: Chd. Thank you!

14. - Top - End - #104
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shining Wrath View Post
    CR for a Succubus is 7.
    A succubus without class levels, that is. Which Sabine has. Granted, the +6 LA adjustment sucks, but she gets quite a few skills and abilities in returns for those levels.

Tarquin's player/AI/whatever NPCs have is just brilliant so Sabine is outclassed there, but when it comes to the character itself, I wouldn't call her underpowered.
    I hate dancing, but for your grave I can make an exception.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Ogre in the Playground

"That's coming out of your holiday bonus."

Classic.
    Blank 3.5 Character Creator Iron Chef Style Tables (in Google Sheets)

Chairman Emeritus of Zinc Saucier.

Avatar by Derjuin, sing her praises to Elysium.

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    So now you're claiming that spellcasting "lacks a clear, supernatural element?" Being supernatural is literally the only point of magic.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Ettin in the Playground

In the first panel, Elan notes that "his throat is exposed".

But when Malack vamped Durkon (and tried to vamp Belkar), it was shown that the characters don't actually HAVE throats, because Malack had to bite into the head instead.

Which, of course, is completely useless pedantry. But someone was going to bring it up, so it might as well be me this time.

17. - Top - End - #107

MindFlayer

I kind of feel like that the only way people would be convinced that Nale's not coming back would be if we saw Tarquin wipe the dagger clean, then set fire to the cloth that cleaned the blade, then throw the ashes through a portal into some other dimension. And even then...

Malack is gone. So is Z. So is Nale. And (pssst, whisper it), so is Thog. Sorry 'bout it. The time for annoying mini bosses is over. It's endgame now.

Great strip. I'm enjoying Laurin a lot.
    Apparently, I'm a Neutral Good Human Wizard (4th Level): Strength 13; Dexterity 14; Constitution 12; Intelligence 17; Wisdom 16; Charisma 13. I'm down with that.

My Paper Master build: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72568

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Wou View Post
    If anyone can resurrect a disintegrated corpse it's Redcloak. And she have some valuable info about threats to the Plan to offer.
    Nobody could, if I get the Giant's intentions correct, but the gist is that he feels that True Rez is a messy spell in terms of plot development, which likely means he won't be using it in OOTS-verse.
    Quote Originally Posted by MERC_1 View Post
    I find it very amusing that a very theoretical discussion of how to Optimize Bardic Music, turns into a discussion on how much worms you can eat in 7 minutes.

19. - Top - End - #109

Quote Originally Posted by Castamir View Post
    A succubus without class levels, that is. Which Sabine has. Granted, the +6 LA adjustment sucks, but she gets quite a few skills and abilities in returns for those levels.
    Does she? Miko was able to just snap her neck (she got better though).
    Knowledge, logic, reason, and common sense serve better than a dozen rule books.
    E. G. Gygax

Lawful member of the Hinjo fanclub
    Treegrappler of the Durkon fanclub

20. - Top - End - #110
    Halfling in the Playground

Daemon

Tarquin: "Give them a chance for some melodrama."

And so he goes from "genre-savvy" to a complete inability to sympathize with the most basic of human emotion.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Orc in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by TruDivination View Post
    but now Nale can't come back!
    Technically untrue.

True Resurrection, or Wish x2 should do the job. Both are very expensive, though.
    This is a boring signature.
    EXPLOSIVE RUNES
    EXPLODED RUNES
    PICTURE OF A CAT
    EXPLOSIVE RUNES

22. - Top - End - #112
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Snowfire View Post
    Assuming that he's alive

Ah, gotcha,. Yeah, definitely agree there. In all honesty, if Sabine does attack Tarquin now I wouldn't be surprised if Laurin could just bind her. And wouldn't that be fun.
    I wonder if there's a psionic version of binding anywhere?
    Last edited by Samalpetey; 2013-08-26 at 09:04 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    "Whatever the plot requires" is the most pointless argument anyone can make. Yes, we know that--we know this is a story, not a strangely-presented history lesson. However, if we just say, "There's no point in discussing this because what will happen is what the plot demands" then there's no point in having *any* discussion on these boards, and Rich might as well close down the OotS part of the forum now!

23. - Top - End - #113
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Hah. Called it. EDIT: that is, the "minion will disintegrate Nale if the Giant doesn't plan on rezzing him" thing, along with Sabine.

To those saying Sabine isn't much of a threat ... maybe, but if she can get her bosses to help, I can see this really coming back to bite Tarquin.
    Last edited by MugaSofer; 2013-08-26 at 09:09 AM.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Slayer Lord View Post
    Well then, how shall this come back to bite Tarquin in the end?
    Is there any worse ending for Tarquin than to be killed off-screen, for petty revenge, by a B-list recurring villain, in an action that doesn't affect the main plot, ignores the obvious narrative arc between him and Elan, and doesn't even topple the empire?

25. - Top - End - #115
    Ogre in the Playground

So much for all the tarquin fanboys arguing he had done a hard decision etc...

Tarquin felt nothing at killing his son. Period.
    Which we know because Tarquin never keeps things to himself.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

20 Quatloos on the shape-shifting demon.

Go get him, Sabine.
    Assistant costume designer of the Thog Fan Club.

Deacon of the Reformed Church of Banjo.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Nappa View Post

I take the title "Last in the Coffin" to mean no one else is going to die this arc.
    Probably, though it also seems to refer to the last nail in the coffin of Elan and Tarquin's relationship. I think this was the tipping point for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Zordrath View Post
    So much for the possibility of Nale returning. Though we might still see him in the afterlife, Tarquin is spot-on about him being a B-list villain that the heroes simply have outgrown. Great comic!
    He's also completely wrong about his own role in the story, as usual. Tarquin's very genre savvy, but he's too mistaken about several of the story's basic premises to be correct.
    Last edited by SaintRidley; 2013-08-26 at 09:09 AM.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Korith View Post
    Technically untrue.

True Resurrection, or Wish x2 should do the job. Both are very expensive, though.
    I wish there was a way to make this a sticky, but to everyone who mentions True Rez:
    And more to the point, True Resurrection is a terrible, narrative-wrecking spell that should not exist, as it has no real purpose for players who die in battle (as they can almost always be returned via simple Resurrection) and only ever comes in to play to undo plot points. I prefer to simply treat it as "not available" to everyone, and I don't want to waste any panel time explaining why.
    Quote Originally Posted by MERC_1 View Post
    I find it very amusing that a very theoretical discussion of how to Optimize Bardic Music, turns into a discussion on how much worms you can eat in 7 minutes.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Orc in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Tsyndrome View Post
    Tarquin: "Give them a chance for some melodrama."

And so he goes from "genre-savvy" to a complete inability to sympathize with the most basic of human emotion.
    Yup. I don't call a lot of things right -- in fact, I've sort of made a game with myself about all the stuff I call wrong, usually by reading things into the comic that weren't there, but in this case, "psychopath not sociopath" seems pretty much spot-on for Tarquin.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Castamir View Post

Tarquin's player/AI/whatever NPCs have is just brilliant so Sabine is outclassed there, but when it comes to the character itself, I wouldn't call her underpowered.

Sabine is a NPC, not a PC. She doesn't care about LA (only PCs deal with that). She instead gets to go based on CR. So if the Linear Guild was a 16th level Party, she could be a Succubus Rogue 10. She'd also get the elite array (improving stats) and NPC wealth by level. Altogether it serves to make her fairly dangerous even to a high level character. But I'm pretty sure that Tarquin is low epic, so still not a major threat to him.
    If my text is blue, I'm being sarcastic.But you already knew that, right?