New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 47 of 50 FirstFirst ... 223738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,381 to 1,410 of 1476
  1. - Top - End - #1381
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: My Little Pony 101110: *ROBOT TAKEOVER*

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    Or it could be that Trixie is doing it due to a crisis of identity. She is weaker than Twilight, so in her mind that automatically makes her bad at magic; she had never met someone better at magic than her before. So Trixie's fallback is the old, but fundamentally flawed, adage that people who aren't good at something become teaches.
    Wow, why are you guys so good at ideas?

Also, what should the name of this theoretical story be? Trixie the showmare? Trixie's school time party rock? Some other crazy name?

2. - Top - End - #1382
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by maximus25 View Post
    Wow, why are you guys so good at ideas?

Also, what should the name of this theoretical story be? Trixie the showmare? Trixie's school time party rock? Some other crazy name?
    We probably just think about ponies alot :P

Show and tell? Trixie learns a lesson? I have no idea, honestly.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

3. - Top - End - #1383
    Firbolg in the Playground

Show and Spell? Miss Powerful?
    Last edited by Balmas; 2012-06-19 at 02:00 AM.
    I run a Let's Play channel! Check it out!
    Currently, we're playing through New Vegas as Gabriel de la Cruz, merchant and mercenary extraordinaire!

4. - Top - End - #1384
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Balmas View Post
    Show and Spell.
    It's... Beautiful.

5. - Top - End - #1385

Show and Spell it is.

So, Trixie comes back to Ponyville in a starved state. She's been travelling trying to raise money, but without a stage she cannot perform. She's arrested and brought to town hall because she inadvertently caused two colts to bring an ursa to town. The Mayor is talking to Cheerilee, who is complaining that she needs someone to teach her students some rudimentary magic because they can't control it themselves and keep causing magical mishaps. Trixie is already there, so the Mayor sentences her to teaching magic. Some other stuff happens, end of chapter one.

That probably could use some work, but it's a good start.

6. - Top - End - #1386
    Troll in the Playground

why wouldnt twilight be handling this? she's better read, better at magic, and already has an obsession with learning. heck, she's even prone to giving lectures when not actively prevented.

on top of which, scoots probably hates her if for no other reason than she embarrassed RD. bound to be a lot of drama there, especially if she drags in the other CMC.

unless you want to write something really campy, i would just set it somewhere else.
    Last edited by thubby; 2012-06-19 at 02:33 AM.
    a tiny space dedicated to a beloved grandpa now passed. may every lunch be peanut butter-banana sandwiches.
    i has 2/4 an internets.
    old avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

gnome_4ever:

7. - Top - End - #1387
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by thubby View Post
    why wouldnt twilight be handling this? she's better read, better at magic, and already has an obsession with learning. heck, she's even prone to giving lectures when not actively prevented.

on top of which, scoots probably hates her if for no other reason than she embarrassed RD. bound to be a lot of drama there, especially if she drags in the other CMC.

unless you want to write something really campy, i would just set it somewhere else.
    She hasn't been shown doing it so far, and just because she is smart and lectures people does not mean she would be a good teacher. Professors also match that description, along with researchers. Twilight has problems with being sarcastic or snappy, she already used magic on children (lesson 0), and is a compulsive perfectionist. I could much more easily see Twilight as a professor then as a teacher.

Trixie is arrogant, but she is also interesting (twilight is frequently treated as boring by the other ponies). Besides, there is room to change redeem Trixie, while Twilight is already a good character.

8. - Top - End - #1388

They won't let Twilight learn those kids some magic because she already demonstrated she's irresponsible with it.

Trixie is more stable, and less prone to crazy tardy magic. Twilight already has enough on her plate anyway.

9. - Top - End - #1389
    Troll in the Playground

oh im not saying it can't be done. just that these are issues you're going to have to address.
    a tiny space dedicated to a beloved grandpa now passed. may every lunch be peanut butter-banana sandwiches.
    i has 2/4 an internets.
    old avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

gnome_4ever:

10. - Top - End - #1390
    Troll in the Playground

That's exactly it. They're kids. It doesn't matter how good you're at something, if you can't capture their attention, they will learn nothing. Someone who routinely grabs a crowd in non-compulsory situation, to the point they pay for it will do fine in class. Twilight? She has charisma and social skills of a wet cardboard box. Try to put her as teacher and you'll end with her going mad as kids refuse to love books and read quietly without getting bored, culminating with yet another love spell.

Plus, the thing about being well-read is actually a negative. Twilight would make fine university researcher, or teacher to aged, patient ponies, but when it comes to teaching band of fillies with various learning problems you want someone who did their spells constantly thousands of times, eliminating every imperfection, as this would grant practical knowledge how to help your students with polishing their efforts, too.

Also, as for being better at magic, I disagree. Twilight might have more raw power, but if you discount one off episode spells Twilight learned to further the plot (like time spell or shield copied from her brother) Trixie actually demonstrated far wider range of spells (using more 'schools' in D&D terms) up to and including teleportation, and her telekinesis fine control was rivalled only by Rarity. One time we saw them compete Twilight had advantage of cheating by reading solution just before, so, nope - at best you can argue Trixie is (Pathfinder) Sorcerer to Twilight's Wizard

Edit: and before someone disagrees, let me say that Twilight has advantage of holding ancient MacGuffin - we have no idea just how powerful she is without it (she certainly wasn't that impressive in first two episodes, or when Discord/Chrysalis took Elements from them), and even if it grants her all the power in world if anything that would make her worse at teaching due to problems with power control and being less capable of understanding normal ponies problems.

Let me point out that the only time we see Scoot in school is long after class, when two other CMC dragged her to newspaper recruitment thing. Every other time, SB and AB are in class, Scoot is absent. So, not a big problem, assuming Scoot even saw the debacle.

My pet theory is, she quit to emulate Rainbow Dash in that regard, too
    Come one, come all! GitP MLP Steam Group is open!
    Current location of the last MLP Thread OP, too.
    Want to ask me something? Use MAIL or message me on Steam!

Spoiler
    Show

>Click!<
    Amazing Art by Dirtytabs :P
    HW Ava © ETsofu

"Well, the Great and Powerful Trixie can't actually transport you to Equestria... But!
    The Great and Powerful Trixie can beat you over the head until you think that's what happened!"

11. - Top - End - #1391
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheAmishPirate View Post
    Only problem is that I'm not sure how I can include this little bit of information. This is the first scene, and anything before it is going to feel superfluous.
    No no, nothing so drastic. Something much easier, like this

Spoiler
    Show
    “For the last time...” Twilight cautioned, cutting him off. The scheduling of the Hoverball Regional Finals and the Young Forest Animal Lover's Indoor Picnic in the gymnasium at the same time and date had been a mistake, but nothing she couldn't fix. “...it was just a simple error in the calendar. But let’s not panic just yet. I think I have a way we can combine the events and still keep everypony happy.”

Quote Originally Posted by TheAmishPirate View Post
    I'm thinking of upping his age juuuust slightly anyway, and still give the reader some sort of indication that this is a younger spike they're dealing with.
    I don't get the impression that Twilight is nearly as young in this story as she was when she hatched the egg, feels more like it's happening towards the end maybe a year or two before she moved to Ponyville. That's my impression, at least, so I think it's reasonable to up his age a little.

12. - Top - End - #1392
    Spamalot in the Playground

Does it have to be Trixie coming back to Ponyville specifically? In my mind, I envisioned that it's Twilight & gang traveling and they stumble upon her in another town (useful for expanding the Equestrian map and being able to write without stepping on anything canon related to Ponyville specifically).
    Just throwing that thought out there if anyone's interested.

If not, just ignore it. It won't bite.

Quote Originally Posted by TVtyrant
    We probably just think about ponies alot :P
    Just yesterday I had to take my daughter to the pediatrician for a fever and it turns out she has "Hand, Foot, & Mouth", a type virus infection. When I called my mom to update her on her granddaughter's health, I accidently called it "Hand, Hoof, & Mouth".
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

13. - Top - End - #1393
    Banned

I'm putting in my vote for thread 48: better than democracy.

14. - Top - End - #1394
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Soras Teva Gee View Post
    However if the yellow is generic Deadpool and the green is GIR (which I'm not 100% on) then it would serve to reason the black is something too.
    Well it sounds slightly serious so...? I dunno. But I'll agree it probably is something as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Diego Havoc View Post
    Luna pics
    Spoiler
    Show
    Luna with Luna on Luna... brilliant!

And now for something completely different!
    Spoiler
    Show
    I want this.
    Heh, now thinking of the well known Jackson wallet quote...
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

15. - Top - End - #1395
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie View Post
    Also, as for being better at magic, I disagree. Twilight might have more raw power, but if you discount one off episode spells Twilight learned to further the plot (like time spell or shield copied from her brother) Trixie actually demonstrated far wider range of spells (using more 'schools' in D&D terms) up to and including teleportation, and her telekinesis fine control was rivalled only by Rarity. One time we saw them compete Twilight had advantage of cheating by reading solution just before, so, nope - at best you can argue Trixie is (Pathfinder) Sorcerer to Twilight's Wizard
    I'll bite

Twilight also teleports (and can teleport others), and Trixie has nothing on the level of Want It, Need It. Or literally zipping Spike's mouth shut in Boast Busters. Trixie "feats" are summoning a boquet of flowers, minor image, tk on the level of Rarity (a not particularly magical unicorn) and... uh, I got nothing else. Trixie is (in 4e terms) low Heroic tier, Twilight is high Paragon.

Edit: and before someone disagrees, let me say that Twilight has advantage of holding ancient MacGuffin - we have no idea just how powerful she is without it (she certainly wasn't that impressive in first two episodes, or when Discord/Chrysalis took Elements from them), and even if it grants her all the power in world if anything that would make her worse at teaching due to problems with power control and being less capable of understanding normal ponies problems.
    Wait, do we have any evidence that the Elements empower their users?

re:Trixie teaching, it's a fun idea! And there's no doubt in my mind she'd do a vastly better job that Twilight.

Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    Heh, now thinking of the well known Jackson wallet quote...
    My mind immediately leapt to the same place
    Last edited by SlyGuyMcFly; 2012-06-19 at 07:05 AM.
    Truth resists simplicity.

16. - Top - End - #1396
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by maximus25 View Post
    Hey guys, I had an idea for a fanfic, and want to ask your opinion.

Okay, so Trixie comes back to Ponyville. Somehow she gets roped into being a teacher with Cheerilee. Think about it, her cutie mark is to do with her putting on a good show, she does that primarily through her tricks and stuff on stage. Ponies mostly didn't like her boasting.

But, a classroom full of children would really appreciate a good show, and Cheerilee can't teach magic, being an Earth Pony and all. Trixie becomes a schoolteacher and enjoys teaching the next generation magic.
    That's exactly it. They're kids. It doesn't matter how good you're at something, if you can't capture their attention, they will learn nothing. Someone who routinely grabs a crowd in non-compulsory situation, to the point they pay for it will do fine in class. Twilight? She has charisma and social skills of a wet cardboard box. Try to put her as teacher and you'll end with her going mad as kids refuse to love books and read quietly without getting bored, culminating with yet another love spell.
    get out of my head you two

something similar has been mapped out for a future fic(if i ever get around to doing the 2 in mental queue ahead of it)
    Ponies not only make ME want to be a better person than I was before they entered my life, they make me want to HELP OTHERS be better people too.

And that is a GOOD thing by any definition.

full size avatar

17. - Top - End - #1397
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SlyGuyMcFly View Post
    Twilight also teleports (and can teleport others)
    Conjuration spell - and Trixie shown off her own teleport at 3:03, alternatively, Major Creation, which is also Conjuration spell of the same level as Teleport. Check

Trixie has nothing on the level of Want It, Need It.
    She hypnotized AJ with nothing but a magical rope. Enchantment, check, and I'll only say that of course you don't bust out major, forbidden spells before a big crowd

Or literally zipping Spike's mouth shut in Boast Busters.
    Transmutation - and Twilight only did moustaches or zipper, Trixie transmuted Rarity's mane at about 20x the volume. Check

minor image
    If 'Trixie' in illusion was up to scale (and judging by crowd's illumination and where they looked, she was) it was Major Image boosted by at least 10 spellcaster levels (about 15x 10 foot cubes needed to show fireworks and Ursa Major at the same time, with spell covering 4x 10 foot cubes + 1/level). Meanwhile, what Illusion spells Twilight casted?

tk on the level of Rarity (a not particularly magical unicorn)
    Trixie's TK grabbed rainbow Dash created, something no other unicorn on the show replicated, as well as allowing her perfect rope control. Examples of exceptional Twilight's TK except for bruteforcing the dam?

I got nothing else.
    Evocation, with creating electricity (thunders). Something other than Trixie only Nightmare Moon did so far. Seeing neither tried Necromancy, it's 1:0 lead in Magical Schools for Trixie

Wait, do we have any evidence that the Elements empower their users?
    By the fact Nightmare Moon was visibly surprised at Twilight's power boost and that every villain so far only succeeded at defeating them with Mane 6 without elements? Once they get them back, they broke Discord's control even without access to Wave Motion Gun, as well as become seemingly immune to Nightmare Moon's magic. What other explanation there is for all Mane 6 regularly outperforming other ponies, even their older and more experienced family members (Mac and Shining)?

You can make argument Twilight is at the top now, seeing how she can afford to waste time to learn instead of working, but I seriously doubt Twilight without ancient artefact would in any way outperform Trixie with comparable access to spells.
    Last edited by Trixie; 2012-06-19 at 08:00 AM.

Spoiler
    Show

>Click!<
    HW Ava © ETsofu

"Well, the Great and Powerful Trixie can't actually transport you to Equestria... But!
    The Great and Powerful Trixie can beat you over the head until you think that's what happened!"

18. - Top - End - #1398
    Bugbear in the Playground

I think a neat way around that problem would be to have Twilight offered a job teaching in Canterlot or somewhere. While Trixie may not be able to match her in magical ability, she could always try to outdo Twilight in teaching ability. I feel it fits Trixie's character for her to try to beat Twilight at anything after the Ursa incident.

Also, hello ponythread.

19. - Top - End - #1399
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ICN View Post
    Also, hello ponythread.
    Quickly! Hold my vitamins!

20. - Top - End - #1400
    Ogre in the Playground

Ponies... ponies in socks!

(spoilered for large and mildly saucy)

Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #1401
    Titan in the Playground

Also, as for being better at magic, I disagree. Twilight might have more raw power, but if you discount one off episode spells Twilight learned to further the plot (like time spell or shield copied from her brother)
    I absolutely do NOT accept this premise. You yourself demonstrate a lot of why in repeating the fanon of Twi's force field being learned from Shining Armor. We don't have any good measure to just disregard what Twilight has done in every episode as "to further the plot" when we know Twilight's talent is for any magic spell. Not that I expect say the time travel one to return because that was something of the point but its still definitely there.

For that matter nor do I think you can disregard raw power. That is every bit as important, and even if we hypothetically grant Trixie anything like the breadth of Twi's ability (something I doubt by Trixie vs Ursa repeating tricks) she very clearly has no depth. Frankly I'd say Trixie doesn't have a talent for magic, but a talent for y'know... magic tricks. Its all essentially an illusion because it lacks any substance.

You can make argument Twilight is at the top now, seeing how she can afford to waste time to learn instead of working, but I seriously doubt Twilight without ancient artefact would in any way outperform Trixie with comparable access to spells.
    Putting aside that you can't just discount Twilights greater efforts to study magic...

... I don't buy it. Twilight managed major scale magic long before she acquired the big crown thingy. Namely in the Cutie Mark Chronicles tale where she was sending off wild surges all over the place (Spike got a what 100x mass increase) at her exam. Now we can call it implied by that same episode's plot that the EoH were connected long before, but that still means those Elements have a much deeper connection then being artifacts that selected the first suitable personalities to come along. Or it could be unrelated. I don't think we can get into separating which is which though since we don't know if this is just Destiny at work or that the EoH have some magical trait that passes the generations. The relevant point is that magic is utterly a part of Twilight's basic fabric, something which Celestia confirms in that same episode.

... but I want to step back. Twilight doesn't get to "waste" time while Trixie "has" to work. While she's the only student we've explicitly met Celestia maintains a whole school for unicorns remember? Equestria clearly has a policy to support scholarship as a field. Frankly if this was just a matter of access Trixie wouldn't need to work. Nor is this just a matter of access. Twilight has clearly spent her whole life working to get where she is, at a cost to her social ability, and still spends much of her time studying.

Frankly even if we take the big step of grant Trixie anything even in the same class of underly talent, by her attitudes as a person she clearly has never put in the work to capitalize on those talents.

Myself I think Trixie natural talent is showbiz, its big and flashy and cool in its own way that's could be quite awesome if her attitude wasn't so poor... but she's a natural performer not a wizard.

22. - Top - End - #1402
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

You called?
    Spoiler
    Show

[img]http://img.ponibooru.org/_images/cfd40a726d661ec1eb6fad176e12e969/145421%20-%20applejack%20artist%3Aserene-
    solace%20fluttershy%20Pikachu%20pinkie_pie%20pokem on%20rainbow_dash%20rarity%20species_swap%20twilig ht_sparkle.png[/img]

Oh god my eyes.
    [img]http://img.ponibooru.org/_images/f752a1840ba21fc59cf4ab57fe2919c0/30471%20-%20applejack%20fluttershy%20****_my_life%20gilda%2 0my_little_griffon%20pinkie_pie%20rainbow_dash%20r arity%20species_swap%20twilight_sparkle.png[/img]
    Language, Gummy...
    These are great but I should have been more specific

I was talking about species swaps with things like the unicorns as pegusi earth ponies as unicorns ect.

Kind of like with Ask the CMC currently
    Avatar based on artwork by Jabari Weathers

23. - Top - End - #1403
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Soras Teva Gee View Post
    I absolutely do NOT accept this premise. You yourself demonstrate a lot of why in repeating the fanon of Twi's force field being learned from Shining Armor. We don't have any good measure to just disregard what Twilight has done in every episode as "to further the plot" when we know Twilight's talent is for any magic spell.
    There are 2 problems with this argument: A) we have no idea if ability to learn spells from others is unique to Twilight. Is there anything in canon that would have said so? And B) we have no idea how much the ability to copy spells is actually worth. Twilight learned 2 spells: her brother's shield, and her babysitter's charm spell. Seeing both of them used far superior versions (shielding of Canterlot vs an army and shielding of home vs 3 fillies, and Cadence's love proved to be more powerful than Celestia) it's possible Twilight spent years trying and only managed imperfect versions. We don't know limits of that ability.

For that matter nor do I think you can disregard raw power. That is every bit as important, and even if we hypothetically grant Trixie anything like the breadth of Twi's ability (something I doubt by Trixie vs Ursa repeating tricks) she very clearly has no depth.
    The point is, we don't know if the power is innate to Twilight, or is just the artefact she grabbed acting through her. Why didn't she swept up Changeling army but defaulted to melee and occasional blast? Is it because she was denied the magic item?

You can make argument that man with AK-47 will defeat Bruce Lee, but all that tells us is that Ak-47 > Bruce Lee, not the quality of either combatant. Can you provide one situation where Twilight was clearly denied using Elements yet managed similar result as with them?

Putting aside that you can't just discount Twilights greater efforts to study magic...
    I do not. But being able to buy a Ferrari when your opponent barely manages to buy a Fiat doesn't make you better driver. IMHO, quality of magic can only be gauged with both combatants given equal field, so to say, comparing when one team has ten times smaller goal tells us little.

Namely in the Cutie Mark Chronicles tale where she was sending off wild surges all over the place (Spike got a what 100x mass increase) at her exam.
    That would prove something if we didn't saw (in Baby Cakes) that huge surges of energy are quite common in young, unimportant unicorns, as are seemingly very advanced spells (the whole passing through bars thing). Spike? Secret of My Excess shown that dragons are quite capable of increasing mass 100x times on their own. Twilight spell could just have made him greedy without need of increasing his mass by her.

The relevant point is that magic is utterly a part of Twilight's basic fabric, something which Celestia confirms in that same episode.
    If Discord/Chrysalis can deny them Elements by hiding them in the box, sorry, they can't be that innate, IMHO.

... but I want to step back. Twilight doesn't get to "waste" time while Trixie "has" to work. While she's the only student we've explicitly met Celestia maintains a whole school for unicorns remember? Equestria clearly has a policy to support scholarship as a field.
    Not Equestria. Canterlot. And even someone as powerful as Twilight found herself on the edge of being kicked out by judges. Heck, even having judges at all means the system isn't for everyone and you need extra clout to get in. Had Celestia been away on business that day, or if not by a chance rainboom, Twilight too would need to look for real job instead of living lavish education.

Frankly even if we take the big step of grant Trixie anything even in the same class of underly talent, by her attitudes as a person she clearly has never put in the work to capitalize on those talents.
    How? All it takes is being born in wrong place, or to wrong parents, and you'll never advance below very low level, both here and in Equestria. Finding food to put on a plate takes priority. Let's take the fanon about Big Mac being mathematical genius seriously - would he get any chance to practice it? No, he is stuck doing backbreaking work to the point of serious injures because his family can't afford not only his education, they can't afford him not working. Equestria isn't utopia, claiming everyone has the access to the same education is pointing at Paris Hilton and wondering why almost no one does 500$ manicures, after all, it's so easy for Paris, no?

Spoiler
    Show

>Click!<
    HW Ava © ETsofu

24. - Top - End - #1404

I don't really understand your argument about Twilight being empowered by the Element of Magic. Over the course of the whole show she has had access to it twice, in the second part of the season openers. Every other time she has done magic it has been her by herself.

If it were empowering her from afar then they wouldn't have needed to go look for them when attacked by Discord or Chrysalis she would already have it's power.
    Rural Reign An Original Superhero Webcomic Written by Me and AteMozzarlla

Darkblade Avatar by Necropaladin

25. - Top - End - #1405

Let's take the fanon about Big Mac being mathematical genius seriously - would he get any chance to practice it? No, he is stuck doing backbreaking work to the point of serious injures because his family can't afford not only his education, they can't afford him not working.
    Has there been any "Good Will Hunting" pony parody yet? I think some pony needs to write one.

"Farm laborer Big Macintosh, a genius who is forced to see a therapist and study advanced mathematics with a renowned professor in order to avoid jail time. Through his therapy sessions, Mac re-evaluates his relationships with his family and his girlfriend Cheerilie while confronting his emotional issues and making decisions about his future."

How you like them Apples
    "Winning with friendship means winning at life!"
    -Mako Mankanshoku

26. - Top - End - #1406

>Pro-Trixie Propaganda<
    As much as I appreciate you defending your namesake, Trix, there is no upstaging Twilight as an archmage for her. She can put on a better show, make better illusions or crowd-wowing performances. But she can not sling around spells of any significant magnitude. She is talented, indeed, but very focused. What energy she has she uses very efficiently, as befits her talent, but there is no denying that she can never match Twilight in the overall scope of magic.

Even by your breakdown of magic schools, all Trixie ever displays is Illusion, with perhaps a side of Transmutation. Her attempt at Evocation was pitiful. Twilight, on the other hand, has displayed everything sans Necromancy over the course of the series. And she has a lot more raw power on top of that, and is incredibly studious. Even if Trixie's specialization didn't limit her potential, and even she somehow acquired a way to gain lots of raw power, she would never be in the same class as Twilight simply because she wouldn't care to study hard enough for it.

And Twilight has so far actually put on her Element... thrice. Once against Nightmare Moon, twice against Discord. She isn't in contact with the artifact itself throughout most of the series. And picking it up did not "establish" that power any more than, say, the element of Laughter established Pinkie's personality. The Elements themselves are nothing but a set of amplifiers for a magical converging-beam cannon. What the bearers are, is Spirits of those elements, the source of the Elements' power. If the threat of Nightmare Moon was removed in another way, and Twilight still somehow made it to Ponyville and made friends, she would still be the same Twilight we know, with the same level of power, because that is who she is.

Bottom line: Trixie can put on a better show than Twilight can, and she does have more raw charisma (that she doesn't always put to good use), but an archmage she ain't. A very good stage magician, and with actual magic, but a stage magician nevertheless.

(prepost edit: And I've been ninja'd on at least one count, but oh well.

re: Baby Cakes: Wild surges of magic happen to foals, as we don't see any of the school fillies exploding into anything. Twilight was way past the "surging" age when she was taking her exam. Maybe the Sonic Rainboom triggered something in her and brought that power forth, but she was far from being the only unicorn filly in its AoE (this being Canterlot), and yet was the only one to surge. Even if we establish that this sort of burst is similar to what a unicorn foal might undergo, Twilight was way past the age when it was normal for it to happen, and way too young to have accumulated such raw power through other means.)
    Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    ---------------------
    Current occupation: Considering drawing a better Psionic Flame avatar.
    ---------------------
    Skills: Competent Modder, Proficient Programmer, Accomplished RTD Game Master, Adequate Artist, Dabbling Writer
    ---------------------
    Join Dropbox! It's free! And useful!

27. - Top - End - #1407
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Maxtronaut View Post
    What do you mean, "Also"?
    I'm... not quite sure how to respond to that.
    Am I missing something here?

Quote Originally Posted by Luka View Post

nope, Dash AND Luna are

And maybe Twilight
    Oh... Oh, I see how it is... e_e
    Last edited by Nameless; 2012-06-19 at 11:22 AM.

28. - Top - End - #1408
    Troll in the Playground

Conjuration spell - and Trixie shown off her own teleport at 3:03, alternatively, Major Creation, which is also Conjuration spell of the same level as Teleport. Check

[snip]
    By D&D rules, and using your examples, Trixie is level 10. Twilight would be level 15, the minimum a Wizard needs to cast Sympathy. So there's no question of who would wipe the floor with who.

Assuming, of course, that Equestria runs on D&D rules. Which would be silly.

By the fact Nightmare Moon was visibly surprised at Twilight's power boost and that every villain so far only succeeded at defeating them with Mane 6 without elements? Once they get them back, they broke Discord's control even without access to Wave Motion Gun, as well as become seemingly immune to Nightmare Moon's magic. What other explanation there is for all Mane 6 regularly outperforming other ponies, even their older and more experienced family members (Mac and Shining)?
    Nightmare Moon was suprised at how the Elements that she'd crushed underhoof were about to kick her ass.

More seriously though, there's no evidence Rarity is more fabulous generous, AJ more honest, RD more loyal or that Pinkie is any more random now than before acquiring the Elements. No reason to believe Twilight is more magical. Additionally, if they had the power of the Elements at all times, why would they have to get them to fight Discord or Chrysalis?

Now, there's definitely something to the idea that they get a +10 Friendship bonus or something when actually wearing the Necklacenecklacenecklacenecklaceandbigcrownthingy, but I'm not seeing any boosts when they aren't wearing it.

I do not. But being able to buy a Ferrari when your opponent barely manages to buy a Fiat doesn't make you better driver. IMHO, quality of magic can only be gauged with both combatants given equal field, so to say, comparing when one team has ten times smaller goal tells us little.
    In this analogy, the chap with the Ferrari has a Ferrari because he earned loads of prize-money in professional driving championships. So yeah, you can bet he's a better driver.

Not Equestria. Canterlot. And even someone as powerful as Twilight found herself on the edge of being kicked out by judges. Heck, even having judges at all means the system isn't for everyone and you need extra clout to get in. Had Celestia been away on business that day, or if not by a chance rainboom, Twilight too would need to look for real job instead of living lavish education.
    [snip]
    It is, perhaps, a bit unfair that Mr. Ferrari wins races because he went to Princess Celestia's School for Gifted Drivers while Mr. Fiat was raised by carnies (or something) and worked all his life but it doesn't change the fact that Ferraris beat second-hand Fiats in strait-up races.

something something strained analogy something.

Let's take the fanon about Big Mac being mathematical genius seriously - would he get any chance to practice it? No, he is stuck doing backbreaking work to the point of serious injures because his family can't afford not only his education, they can't afford him not working. Equestria isn't utopia, claiming everyone has the access to the same education is pointing at Paris Hilton and wondering why almost no one does 500$ manicures, after all, it's so easy for Paris, no?
    Or maybe he's just a simple guy that prefers simple work to those pretentious, stuffy academics in Canterlot U, much like Applejack. He does have an apple cutie mark after all.

Now if he had a pie...
    Last edited by SlyGuyMcFly; 2012-06-19 at 11:51 AM.
    Truth resists simplicity.

29. - Top - End - #1409
    Titan in the Playground

Although I won't wade into the discussion of Twilight vs. Trixie magical power, I would like to discuss how Twilight would do as a teacher.

I agree that Twilight would have a couple problems teaching a class of younger students.
    1. She can be a bit boring
    2. She might have trouble with classroom management.

The nice thing is though, is that both of those are related problems and it's very possible to teach classroom management so that someone can keep the kids focused. Because of that, Twilight's success as a teacher would be heavily based on what kind of preparation she was given. If you just say "here, teach these kids" and throw her into a room, she would probably fail spectacularly. So would most people in real life, that's why nearly all countries require a teacher credentialing program. If Twilight was given a mentor and taught some techniques for keeping the kids' attention, I think she would do really well. She's a pretty creative unicorn when given time to prepare, so I think she would come up with great ways to teach lots of different subjects.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

30. - Top - End - #1410

Quote Originally Posted by SlyGuyMcFly View Post
    Or maybe he's just a simple guy that prefers simple work to those pretentious, stuffy academics in Canterlot U, much like Applejack. He does have an apple cutie mark after all.

Now if he had a pie...
    The pun police would lock him away for a very long time.
    Rural Reign An Original Superhero Webcomic Written by Me and AteMozzarlla

Darkblade Avatar by Necropaladin