New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Default Can I wield The Spiked Fist of Destiny...?

I have three questions relating to my character. To give context, we play pathfinder 1st ed, my dwarf fighter(foehammer)/magus(deep marshal) wields a dwarven longhammer in combat and can use it with his magus abilities to deliver touch spells in close combat.

Question one, is there anything stopping him from wearing a spiked gauntlet or cestus on one hand, while still being able to weild the longhammer two handed?

Question two, would weapon enchantments on the spiked gauntlet function normally even though the longhammer is the only weapon used to attack?

Question three, can you suggest any interesting and/or helpful weapon enchantments to put on the spiked gauntlet?

Thanks...
    Last edited by aglondier; 2024-05-09 at 09:15 AM.
    "There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter."
    ~ Ernest Hemingway

2021 2022 2023 2024

Dwarf Magus (Deep Marshal) spell list

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Can I wield The Spiked Fist of Destiny...?

I don't think there is a problem as long as you take the two weapon fighting penalties. Nothing prevents you from using armor spikes when TWFing even though your body is occupied delivering your 2h weapon attacks (one of the reasons I think dual weapons being one-hand/light is a waste)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

If it doesn't say that the hand is occupied, you can use it. I believe the spiked gauntlet and the cestus are both fine. You can't TWF with a two-hander and a gauntlet or cestus on one of the hands that is holding a two-handed weapon though. Having a gauntlet type weapon is a common trick to threaten adjacent while wielding a reach weapon. Taking a hand off or putting it back on a two-handed weapon is a free action.

Weapon enhancements on the gauntlet would apply, but only to attacks made with it. An enhancement that granted you a bonus to something other than attacks and damage with the weapon would still apply.

Spell combat only works with light and one-handed weapons and requires a free hand. I glanced at deep warden and didn't see that it changed those requirements. You can still spell strike, but giving up spell combat is bad.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    . I glanced at deep warden and didn't see that it changed those requirements. You can still spell strike, but giving up spell combat is bad.
    The Bound By Tradition feature limits Pool enhancement to a specific subset of weapons and opens Spell Combat and Spellstrike to the same.

As for enchantments, Defending or Guardian could be useful. Both are +1 enhancements that allow you to reasllocate the weapon's enhancement bonus into either AC or Save bonus, both untyped bonuses, at the top of your turn. Guardian has some extra text that disallows it from moving enhancement from Pool, but you don't care because Spiked Fist isn't on Deep Marshal's weapon list.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Not well written, since it really ought to call out that you can use spell combat with a qualifying two-handed weapon if that is the intent. The wording suggests that the ability is only a limiter, 'you can only use [abilities] with this list', instead of modifying the ability to allow uses that weren't permitted. Not sure how I would rule it myself, best to ask your GM.

Yes, it says it modifies the abilities in the last line, but adding the limiter is a modification, so that language is not clarifying.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by aglondier View Post
    I have three questions relating to my character. To give context, we play pathfinder 1st ed, my dwarf fighter(foehammer)/magus(deep marshal) wields a dwarven longhammer in combat and can use it with his magus abilities to deliver touch spells in close combat.

Question one, is there anything stopping him from wearing a spiked gauntlet or cestus on one hand, while still being able to weild the longhammer two handed?

Question two, would weapon enchantments on the spiked gauntlet function normally even though the longhammer is the only weapon used to attack?

Question three, can you suggest any interesting and/or helpful weapon enchantments to put on the spiked gauntlet?

Thanks...

Yes, you can wear the gauntlet while still using that hand to help wield the hammer two handed.

No, the weapon enchantments on the gauntlet will not function on the attack with the long hammer. because you are attacking with the hammer, not the gauntlet.

The benefit to having the gauntlet, would be if you drop the hammer or stop wielding it in two hands, you could switch to two-handed combat and use the hammer in one hand (if it can be wielded one handed) and attack with the gauntlet with the other hand.

You normally see this with people wielding a two handed reach weapon. They are attacking normally 10' out with the reach weapon, but if the enemy gets within that range, they can let go of the reach weapon with one hand and attack with the gauntlet close up.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Darg View Post
    I don't think there is a problem as long as you take the two weapon fighting penalties. Nothing prevents you from using armor spikes when TWFing even though your body is occupied delivering your 2h weapon attacks (one of the reasons I think dual weapons being one-hand/light is a waste)
    Almost every statement in this post is incorrect.

You can WEAR a spiked gauntlet, cestus, armor spikes, Barbazu beard, etc. while wielding a 2H weapon. But you cannot WIELD both at the same time to TWF with them due to the (asinine) "Hands of Effort" FAQ.

Quote Originally Posted by Armor Spikes: Can I use two-weapon fighting to make an "off-hand" attack with my armor spikes in the same round I use a two-handed weapon?
    And in no case to enhancements placed on one weapon affect another weapon.

OP's questions in order:

1.) Yes, you can WEAR a gauntlet. You cannot TWF with it, but you could use it in place of a bonus attack (eg. from Haste) or as one of your Iterative attacks (from high BaB).

2.) No.

3.) Moot due to the answer to 2.
    Last edited by Rynjin; 2024-05-09 at 03:24 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    Almost every statement in this post is incorrect.

You can WEAR a spiked gauntlet, cestus, armor spikes, Barbazu beard, etc. while wielding a 2H weapon. But you cannot WIELD both at the same time to TWF with them due to the (asinine) "Hands of Effort" FAQ.
    Well, shows me that I should check the FAQ instead of just the core rulebook. Kind of silly though that they didn't say you can't make an unarmed strike while using a 2h weapon two handed if they are disqualifying armor spikes (attached to boots, knees, elbows, shoulders, etc). It kind of has the same niche.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

It's all part of the same rule is why. The explanation was that each character only has two "hands of effort"; main hand and offhand. A 2H weapon takes both and can't be combined with other stuff because reasons I guess. You can't Unarmed Strike either...but you CAN us all your Natural Attacks at a -5 because...also reasons.
    Last edited by Rynjin; 2024-05-09 at 06:23 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by aglondier View Post
    Well, I'm assuming that you'll attack with the gauntlet whenever you can't use the longhammer (due to the enemy being either too close, or resistant/immune to it). So the obvious pick is Spell Storing + any spell that makes the enemy back off (e.g. Hydraulic Push), or an emergency debuff (e.g. Frigid Touch); or alternatively, Heartseeker (which bypasses most common defensive buffs) + Dispelling (which then removes said buff).

Also, since it's not your primary weapon, Training and Menacing are a good choice. HTH!
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!