New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Default [PF1/3.5] Is there any feat in either Path of War or ToB that lets your ready more...

...of your known maneouvres. Preferably all of them, but anything extra would be an improvement.

It seems like a fairly obvious thing, but if it exists anywhere I cannot find it. But if it does exist, I am willing to bet someone here knows about it. If so, please let me know!

I am playing a Warblade (amongst other things) in a gestalt-ish 3.P game. The character has quite a lot going on, so even if I occasional have the enough notice that an atypical maneouvre would be useful in theory, I do not have the mental bandwidth to spot it in practice. So I keep the X best (ie, mostly highest level) manourves readied, and the remainder exist only to annoy me when they would be situationally useful but unreadied.
    (He/him or they/them)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: [PF1/3.5] Is there any feat in either Path of War or ToB that lets your ready mor

Not in ToB. You could talk to your GM about the extra readied maneuver feat to be allowed for warblade, bur RAW that one is swordsage only.
    Jasnah avatar by Zea Mays

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [PF1/3.5] Is there any feat in either Path of War or ToB that lets your ready mor

Adaptive style lets you swap out your readied maneuvers for a full-round action. Otherwise you'll have to look into using items or PRCs like master of nine.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DeTess View Post
    Not in ToB. You could talk to your GM about the extra readied maneuver feat to be allowed for warblade, bur RAW that one is swordsage only.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darg View Post
    Adaptive style lets you swap out your readied maneuvers for a full-round action. Otherwise you'll have to look into using items or PRCs like master of nine.
    Thanks folks. I did wonder about Adaptive Style, but times when I can spare an FRA in the middle of combat are rare as hens' teeth.

Master of Nine looks interesting, but not for this character. Qualifying for it would be a hassle, its debatable whether it counts as a twofer (and is therefore forbidden to gestalts), and and in any case it adds more maneuvers known than readied so doesn't actually help with my current conundrum.

Anyway, it turns out there is a similar feat from Path of War (I don't know why I found it so easily this time when I could not before), and it does not have the same restrictions of the ToB version.

Sadly it is similarly underwhelming, but at least it's better than nothing! EDIT: Although of course, it's not a Warblade bonus feat, so it will have to wait until I get another general feat.
    Last edited by glass; 2024-05-06 at 03:07 PM.
    (He/him or they/them)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Sometimes the easiest option if you just want some extra lower level maneuvers is to dip another martial adept class (preferably at character level 5 or 9, so you can select 2nd or 3rd level maneuvers from the new class, respectively). If you're a Warblade, that means an instant extra 4 or 5 maneuvers readied at your fingertips.

Otherwise yeah, Adaptive Style will at least let you switch the few you have readied.
    Items won't actually help (unless you mean the one use only martial scripts?), the crown of the white raven and such just give you extra maneuvers known, but you still are limited to how many you can ready as normal. Ironically that means they offer more flexibility to characters w/ no martial adept levels at all, if you're ok w/ only using each once per encounter. Since if you lack readied maneuvers completely, the items just become more 1/encounter abilities like the Martial Study feat is for a non-martial adept.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by StreamOfTheSky View Post
    Sometimes the easiest option if you just want some extra lower level maneuvers is to dip another martial adept class (preferably at character level 5 or 9, so you can select 2nd or 3rd level maneuvers from the new class, respectively). If you're a Warblade, that means an instant extra 4 or 5 maneuvers readied at your fingertips.
    I already have a level of Warder (mostly to fix the Warblade's stance glitch) but while that added three maneuvres readied it also added five maneuvres known.

IOW, it made the problem with maneuvres that I never ready taking up character-sheet space and mental bandwidth worse not better.
    (He/him or they/them)

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by glass View Post
    I already have a level of Warder (mostly to fix the Warblade's stance glitch) but while that added three maneuvres readied it also added five maneuvres known.

IOW, it made the problem with maneuvres that I never ready taking up character-sheet space and mental bandwidth worse not better.
    Warblade's stance glitch? You mean how you gain stances on even levels instead of odds? Crusader does it also, just two levels earlier.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Since you're ding a mix of 3.5 and PoW, ask which version of the Extra Readied Maneuver feat you're using. The PoW version is much better.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Warblade's stance glitch? You mean how you gain stances on even levels instead of odds? Crusader does it also, just two levels earlier.
    I mean how they get their second stance at 4th, but there are no second level stances so they would have to pick another 1st-level stance (and the 1st-level stances a Warblade gets are pretty underwhelming).

If they delay their 4th Warblade level until IL 5, they can take 3rd-level stances, which otherwise would need to wait until level 10 (by which time they are competing with fifth-level stances).

...although now I look at it again I am not sure how that was supposed to work; I think would have needed two levels in something else to get that +1 IL. I hope I did not accidentally cheat!

Quote Originally Posted by Maat Mons View Post
    Since you're ding a mix of 3.5 and PoW, ask which version of the Extra Readied Maneuver feat you're using. The PoW version is much better.
    Luckily, we standardise on using the the PF1 version in cases like that, so I don't even need to ask!
    (He/him or they/them)

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

I mean how they get their second stance at 4th, but there are no second level stances so they would have to pick another 1st-level stance (and the 1st-level stances a Warblade gets are pretty underwhelming).

If they delay their 4th Warblade level until IL 5, they can take 3rd-level stances, which otherwise would need to wait until level 10 (by which time they are competing with fifth-level stances).

...although now I look at it again I am not sure how that was supposed to work; I think would have needed two levels in something else to get that +1 IL. I hope I did not accidentally cheat!
    I don't think it's a problem with the class though. Delayed access has always been a thing for more martial flavored classes and it leaves room for an expanded list to fill the hole. The class mechanics look solid, it's the maneuvers lists that are lacking in my opinion. And even if there were 2nd level stances then people would still complain about the crusader being messed up because they are a level away from getting a 2nd level stance.

Yeah, you'd need 2 levels in another class to get that +1. You always have the option of taking the Martial Stance feat at level 6 to get yourself a 3rd level stance. Another option is to take a fighter level at 6th to use the bonus feat for the stance and then when you want another stance or maneuver you could take another fighter level for that +1 IL and feat. Plus, it helps you qualify for fighter feats. Slashing Flurry from the PHBII has excellent synergy with maneuvers with all the standard action attacks.
    Last edited by Darg; 2024-05-07 at 11:42 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, you're never going to have an equal number of maneuvers known and readied past the early levels. Considering you only get to swap an old one out every other level and you'll thus have very few highest level maneuvers known at any time, it really shouldn't be a problem.
    If you want access to literally all of them, then just take Adaptive Style.
    The dip gave you another 3 maneuvers readied, so it nearly doubled the amount. And you can grab crown of the WR type items and assign them to the Warder list to further optimize your in-battle loadout....

Warblade gets its 2nd stance one level too early so by RAW a Warblade 20 either has to spend a feat for a 3rd level stance or wait till level 10 and not get a 5th level stance. I just allow people to delay it to 5 b/c it seems like an obvious design error. But sadly I don't get to play in my own games and I've encountered lots of unaccommodating DM's, so a 2-level dip has basically become bog standard for any Warblades I make.

Crusader has it even worse, yes. They're just a total mess. But Warblade is extremely simple to fix.

Luckily, we standardise on using the the PF1 version in cases like that, so I don't even need to ask!
    Well, ToB would say your Warblade IL is Warblade level +1/2 of non-Warblade class levels (aside from ToB prestige classes that advance IL fully) and likewise your Warder IL is Warder level +1/2 of non-Warder class levels. So you'd need a 2 level dip outside of Warblade (Lion Spirit Wolf Totem Barbarian 2 or Ranger 1 / Lion Spirit Barb 1 being my usual standby choices, though Crusader or Swordsage work, too) to fix the glitch.
    But I guess in your case that doesn't apply...

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Warblade gets its 2nd stance one level too early so by RAW a Warblade 20 either has to spend a feat for a 3rd level stance or wait till level 10 and not get a 5th level stance. I just allow people to delay it to 5 b/c it seems like an obvious design error. But sadly I don't get to play in my own games and I've encountered lots of unaccommodating DM's, so a 2-level dip has basically become bog standard for any Warblades I make.
    In our overlapping Sunday- and Thursday-night groups, I share GMing duties with two other guys, and they tend to trust my judgement on matters relating to rules and houserules - I proposed most of the houserules in our shared PF1 houserule document, I actually wrote up the document, and I continue to drive most updates.

I mention this because I am pretty sure that if I'd said the GM "there's a glitch in the warblade's Stance progression, can I tweak the class to fix it" he'd have said yes. I suspect I could sell them on almost any tweak if I set my mind to it, but if I do it too much I risk eroding that trust I mentioned above, especially if it is for a class that I imminently want to play myself (especially especially for a class I am already playing).

Long story short (too late!): I did not want to ask to tweak the class when it was easy enough to work around it (or so I thought).

So you'd need a 2 level dip outside of Warblade [...] to fix the glitch.
    But I guess in your case that doesn't apply...
    I cannot see any reason why it would not apply, sadly.

What I suspect happened was that I noticed the problem when I came level up to 4th, so took a different level instead. By the time I got to fifth level, I remembered that I had a solution to the problem, but not all the details. Fortunately, I have another non-warblade level now so I can fix the character without changing his current abilities by rearranging the levels slightly (and trying not to worry too much about the abilities he should and shouldn't have had over the last five levels...).

Anyway, thanks for responding everyone!
    (He/him or they/them)

13. - Top - End - #13
    Halfling in the Playground

To the topic, if you are allowed to use Akasha Reshaped: Path of Enlightenment (by Moonhand Press), it introduces Maneuver Marbles. The Master version give you a maneuver both known and readied. They get quite pricey, but I find them great for keeping a handful of evergreen, low-level maneuvers on-hand, and the price keeps them from getting out of hand too easily. Note that you can only benefit from a total number of marbles equal to half the number of maneuvers you know from one of your initiator classes.