Spoiler: Image
    Show

Sting Chameleon
    Medium Construct, Chaotic Neutral

Armor Class 18 (Armored Carapace)
    Hit Points 190 (20d8+100)
    Speed 50', Climb 50'

Strength Dexterity Constitution Intelligence Wisdom Charisma
    16 (+3) 20 (+5) 20 (+5) 20 (+5) 12 (+1) 20 (+5)

Skills Athletics +7, Acrobatics +13, Stealth +13, Arcana +9, History +9, Nature +9, Perception +5, Deception +9, Intimidation +9, Persuasion +9
    Damage Immunities Poison
    Condition Immunities Poisoned
    Senses Darkvision 300', Passive Perception 15
    Languages Many
    Challenge 10

Darkstalker
    Sting Chameleon can hide without requiring cover or concealment. However, he cannot attempt to hide outside normal circumstances if he began the turn hidden.

Actions

Chameleon Sting Ranged Weapon Attack:
    +9 to-hit, range 80'/320', up to three targets all within 15' of one another. Hit: 1d8+5 piercing damage.

Iron Tongue Melee Weapon Attack:
    +9 to-hit, reach 15', one target. Hit: 2d8+3 bludgeoning damage, and the target can be moved up to 15' in any direction that can support them.

Thorn Rain
    Sting Chameleon shoots his tail stingers in a high arc, causing them to rain down in an area. All creatures within a 10' radius circle, centered any point he can see within 80', must make a DC 17 Dexterity saving throw. On a failed save, they take 3d8+5 piercing damage, or half on a success.

Extra Attack II
    Sting Chameleon makes three attacks or other attack action, no more than one of which can be Thorn Rain. At any point during this action, he may attempt a Stealth check to Hide once.

Bonus Actions

Cunning Action
    Sting Chameleon uses the Dash, Disengage, or Hide action.

Reactions

Camoflauge
    In response to being attacked, Sting Chameleon moves up to 5' and makes a Stealth check to Hide.

Legendary Actions

Sting Chameleon can take 3 legendary actions, choosing from the options below. Only one legendary action option can be used at a time and only at the end of another creature’s turn. Sting Chameleon regains spent legendary actions at the start of their turn.

Stalk. Sting Chameleon moves up to 15' and makes a Stealth check to Hide.
    Iron Tongue. Sting Chameleon uses Iron Tongue.
    Chameleon Sting (Costs 2 Actions). Sting Chameleon uses Chameleon Sting.
    Last edited by JNAProductions; Yesterday at 11:33 PM.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Spirt Sharp-Shooter Of The Forest [CR 10]

I didn't check this until now, but I think you left the legendary actions out of the CR calculations. There's also the issue of it being able to hide multiple times a turn which makes damaging it a pain, but that average 42 points of damage per round being unaccounted for is the only way I can get a CR of 10.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by sandmote View Post
    I didn't check this until now, but I think you left the legendary actions out of the CR calculations. There's also the issue of it being able to hide multiple times a turn which makes damaging it a pain, but that average 42 points of damage per round being unaccounted for is the only way I can get a CR of 10.
    What kinda numbers do you think need adjusting?

Show
    Show

Show

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    What kinda numbers do you think need adjusting?
    I'm not 100% sure if this is asking about adjusting the CR to match the damage output or the damage to match a CR of 10, so I'll cover both and please just ignore whatever's irrelevant.

CR calculations
    Ignoring how many times the Sting Chameleon can hide I get a defensive CR of 9. For the damage it can do on its own turn I get an offensive CR of 11. Adding to that in the damage it can deal using legendary actions, I get an offensive CR of 18. If that's what you mean, I calculate a total CR of 14.

Adjusting Damage
    Usually having a creature deal multiple damage dice with a weapon attack is left for larger creatures. For example, normal greatclubs deal 1d8+Str damage, a default ogre's greatclub has a 2d8+Str damage, and a default hill giant's greatclub deals 3d8+Str. Since the Sting Chameleon is medium, it should probably deal fewer dice of damage with each attack...I hadn't checked those numbers as of the previous comment, but halving the number of damage dice actually gets you down to an average of 70 damage per round by itself.

And now that I'm actually thinking about it, a fight against an enemy that needs to whittle down the party and whom they can afford to bait a few attacks from to narrow its location sounds really cool. I'm not sure whether it'll be more fun or frustrating, but at least a cool set piece encounter. Darkstalker in particular looks really clever, because it limits hiding in a way the forces a particular beat to the encounter, as opposed to the party either getting the Sting Chameleon in the open or them never being able to see it.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Colossus in the Playground

Tweaked the numbers slightly. Nothing huge, but hopefully enough to drop the CR a lil'.

Show
    Show

Show