New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Spheres Of Power Card Casting

Found this drawback in SoP and fell in love. It seems like a really fun little mini-game to play, i just want to make sure I'm understanding things correctly. I'll be using Cooldown, Mana Pool, Gradual Ramp, and Stagnant Pool.

for Mana Pool, does this replace your spell pool? or do you need to spend from your spell pool as well as play the necessary mana cards?

What constitutes an effect? if i were focusing on illusions, would each different illusion need its own card, or just one "create illusion" card? how do talents that modify effects for free work? if i have the sensory talents, would i need a card for base illusion, a different card for illusion with sound, and another card for illlusion with sound and odor? i figure if a talent has an additional spell point cost associated, that would be a different effect, such as shadow infusion.

If i take the colored mana option, does every deck i make have to be 3 or 5 colors? can i have a "mono color" deck and just lose the extra spell points from having that drawback? or is it possible to get drawbacks later on? do all identical effects have to be the same color, or could i have some of my illusions be red, and some be blue?

only the spell effects i create from casting get cards right, like, if an item lets me spend a spell point to do a thing, that wouldnt be in the deck?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Default Re: Spheres Of Power Card Casting

Quote Originally Posted by Vampyre_Lord View Post
    Found this drawback in SoP and fell in love. It seems like a really fun little mini-game to play, i just want to make sure I'm understanding things correctly. I'll be using Cooldown, Mana Pool, Gradual Ramp, and Stagnant Pool.

for Mana Pool, does this replace your spell pool? or do you need to spend from your spell pool as well as play the necessary mana cards?

What constitutes an effect? if i were focusing on illusions, would each different illusion need its own card, or just one "create illusion" card? how do talents that modify effects for free work? if i have the sensory talents, would i need a card for base illusion, a different card for illusion with sound, and another card for illlusion with sound and odor? i figure if a talent has an additional spell point cost associated, that would be a different effect, such as shadow infusion.

If i take the colored mana option, does every deck i make have to be 3 or 5 colors? can i have a "mono color" deck and just lose the extra spell points from having that drawback? or is it possible to get drawbacks later on? do all identical effects have to be the same color, or could i have some of my illusions be red, and some be blue?

only the spell effects i create from casting get cards right, like, if an item lets me spend a spell point to do a thing, that wouldnt be in the deck?
    Author of Card Casting here! Glad that you like the system.

For Mana Pool, you are still limited by your total spell point pool and must spend spell points in addition to playing mana cards.

You would only need one "create illusion" card. Talents that modify effects for free like sensory talents and range talents can be applied to all of your cards.

A mono-color deck is just a deck without the colored mana drawback. The deck must contain at minimum three colors (there was originally plans for two, but that proved too efficient in playtesting). You have to take all of your drawbacks at once, but you may have identical effects that require different colors (similar to Wrath of God/Damnation and other MTG cards from Planar Chaos).
    Last edited by Thealtruistorc; 2024-05-02 at 07:09 PM.
    Dark Green, the color of Chaotic Evil

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Altruistorc is leaving me deeply disturbed and intrigued at the same time...