New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Fleshing out a backstory for my Spring Eladrin Ancients Paladin.

I’m heavily leaning towards running an Eladrin, Ancients Paladin. But coming up with a backstory with the prompts from my DM is actually proving harder than I thought.

* you come from the Feywild with other Fey but something happened and you long to return.
    * your memories are not clear. Is like if you miss something or someone.

I also have to keep the character as a young adult so around his 20s - which would make him around 100 years old.

I know a lot of characters end up going into the Feywild but I haven't come across one that involves the character leaving the Feywild. I want to write that he was born and raised there as the youngest son of a noble family in the Summer Court. He spent most of his time as a Spring Eladrin who is a massive flirt but gets knocked back by the women he lusts on. One day he was tricked by either his brothers/sisters, or another villainous fey into going through a worldfall event that closed behind him.

He eventually went into his Summer form, lashing out for being left there, until he wandered into a town being overrun by deadly crawlers. He lept into action battling and defeating the crawlers until they retreated. When he snapped out of his fury, he was thanked heavily by the townsfolk he inadvertantly saved. They offered him shelter and a place to rest his head. Skeptical about human folk, they eventually shared enough generosity with him that he managed to switch into his autumn form, and eventually back into his spring form. He began to enjoy his time in the material realm so much that after another bandit attack, he wanted to ensure that people or nature was protected against any unwanted evils like the crawlers or bandits, or worse.

So I wanted to come here and ask any creatives for any ideas for a backstory 😅 Thanks!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Default Re: Fleshing out a backstory for my Spring Eladrin Ancients Paladin.

If you want to do something Shakespearean, your young eladrin, a flirtatious sort, had a tryst, perhaps ongoing, with a buxom lass that turned out to be Titania, Queen of the Summer Court. This is a huge problem for the young eladrin as his Lord and Patron, to whom his Oath is sworn, King Oberon, is husband to Queen Titania. This situation is a bit of a pickle for everyone. Titania must deal with both lover and husband (not the first time). Oberon must deal with his wife and queen as well as a loyal Paladin of his Court. And your young eladrin is caught between the two greatest powers of the Realm.

For Titania, there is not even a choice. Of course, she sides with her liege and husband and abandons the poor eladrin (again, not the first time).
    King Oberon, unwilling to destroy an otherwise loyal follower, yet unable to just let it be, chooses exile for the poor eladrin.
    The poor eladrin is now banished from the Feywild, stuck in the material world, where he must either learn to live or find redemption and return in honor.

You have a love triangle, banishment in disgrace, hope of redemption and an otherworldly character out of place in the mundane world.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Halfling in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Default Re: Fleshing out a backstory for my Spring Eladrin Ancients Paladin.

Love JLandan's idea.

Hmmm, I always try to start with answering the question of, "why or how did you character leave the feywild?" Some possible ideas:

- Character's Eladrin soul was 'captured/stolen/moved' from the Feywild into the body of a Material plane elf as the result of an elven ritual to 'summon the great elven warrior spirit' to help with DM's campaign/story line? As part of this ritual, your character is Eladrin but may share some looks/qualities of the material plane elven race they got summoned into. Your characters memories are a blend of your Elandrin and the memories of the body of the elf your soul now occupies...thinking a little bit of the dragon reborn from Wheel of Time if you are familiar?

- there was a feywild festival where your character won a prize that was supposed to be "won" by another Elandrin (to be smuggled out of the Feywild). The item is a cursed/sentient relic that desires to get to shadowfell or some other plane of existence. With this new item and still at the festival, your character hops through an "entertainment teleporting portal" where this relic/item causes a slight rift in the planes, allowing for the item (and character) to 'escape' the feywild and end up on the material plane. In so doing, your characters memories get scrambled or manipulated by this item.

I will add more as I think of them!