New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Question about feat

I mean that feat. Find it there: https://www.angelfire.com/d20/fairha...s/kalamar.html

Skill Prodigy [General]
    You may learn skills normally unavailable to you.
    Benefit: You may learn a number of restricted skills equal to your Intelligence modifier as if they were cross-class skills, or you may learn a number of cross-class skills equal to your Intelligence modifier as if they were class skills.
    Special: You may take this feat multiple times. Each feat applies to a new group of skills.

Do you find it balanced?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Default Re: Question about feat

Quote Originally Posted by Prezes View Post
    I mean that feat. Find it there: https://www.angelfire.com/d20/fairha...s/kalamar.html

Skill Prodigy [General]
    You may learn skills normally unavailable to you.
    Benefit: You may learn a number of restricted skills equal to your Intelligence modifier as if they were cross-class skills, or you may learn a number of cross-class skills equal to your Intelligence modifier as if they were class skills.
    Special: You may take this feat multiple times. Each feat applies to a new group of skills.

Do you find it balanced?
    I got an error message ("502 bad gateway") when I tried to open that link.

Restricted skills no longer exist in 3.5, so the first function is obsolete unless you're one of the few groups still playing 3.0. The second function doesn't seem particularly excessive; compare the Able Learner feat from Races of Destiny which enables you to buy all cross-class skills for one skill point per rank, but doesn't allow you to exceed the half the maximum ranks of a class skill.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Biggus View Post
    I got an error message ("502 bad gateway") when I tried to open that link.

Restricted skills no longer exist in 3.5, so the first function is obsolete unless you're one of the few groups still playing 3.0. The second function doesn't seem particularly excessive; compare the Able Learner feat from Races of Destiny which enables you to buy all cross-class skills for one skill point per rank, but doesn't allow you to exceed the half the maximum ranks of a class skill.
    Many thanks for pointing that. It help me a lot

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

Anybody know feat which could gave wizard diplomacy as class skill? I don't want to multiclass
    I know flaxible mind
    Last edited by Prezes; 2024-04-24 at 04:22 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Most of the feats that add skills to characters only add one specific skill, which I find really underpowered. Sometimes you can't find a feat for the skill you want to add either.

I think Skill Prodigy is a pretty good feat. It makes sense that Intelligent characters would find it easier to pick up new skills, and I think it's balanced - it's good that you'd occasionally want to take it, but not so good that you'd take it for every character (or even every high-INT character).

Lastly, the rules actually encourage DMs to be flexible in changing the skills in a class's skill list to best suit the player, so spending a feat to get that flexibility seems fine with me.

Anybody know feat which could gave wizard diplomacy as class skill? I don't want to multiclass
    I know flaxible mind
    https://forums.giantitp.com/showthre...lls&p=20885236

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

I know flaxible mind
    You might not even need a feat: if your DM is willing to play with Cityscape's social class background rules (page 59), an upper-class character can pick Diplomacy as a free class skill. You even get two other class skills in the bargain, though as a wizard, the only two not already on your list are Ride and Speak Language.
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

Entries have been posted for the newest round of Junkyard Wars. Are YOU the judge we need? And while you're there, vote for the next round!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by pabelfly View Post
    Lastly, the rules actually encourage DMs to be flexible in changing the skills in a class's skill list to best suit the player
    Do you mean specifically in KoK or in 3E in general? If the latter, where does it say that?

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Biggus View Post
    Do you mean specifically in KoK or in 3E in general? If the latter, where does it say that?
    3E in general. DMG p174 talks about modifying character classes to suit a particular setting, and p175 talks about modifying a class to suit a player's particular interests, although the class skill list isn't specifically mentioned.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

smile Re: Question about feat

I know flaxible mind
    Are you playing a human perchance? Humans from the Crane clan (OA) get Diplomacy as a class skill automatically. You should be able to access those regardless of setting, but ask your DM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground

RangerGuy

I know you don't want to multiclass, but the Human Paragon from Unearthed Arcana can solve that problem. It's a three level class that if taken at first level will give you more skill points to use. It also has Adaptive learning, which let's you designate one class skill to always be a class skill for that character.

1-Human Paragon 1
    2-Wizard 1
    3-Human Paragon 2
    4-Human Paragon 3
    5 and onward-Wizard

That progression will net you 8 more skill points, a bonus feat that's not restricted to item creation or metamagic, a +2 to any ability score of your choice, proficiency with a martial weapon of your choice, on top of adaptive learning the Human Paragon gets to pick any 10 skills to be class skills, a D8 for hit points, and a better BAB. The only drawback is there's no spellcasting progression at 1st level.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Bugbear in the Playground

BardGuy

3E in general. DMG p174 talks about modifying character classes to suit a particular setting, and p175 talks about modifying a class to suit a player's particular interests, although the class skill list isn't specifically mentioned.
    PHB's section on customizing your character (p110) also mentions making adjustments to your base class features to fit your character's concept and background, including changes to class skills if appropriate. The given example shows a fighter exchanging weapon proficiencies for a couple of extra class skills and skill points per level to reflect a background as a thug who worked for a thieves' guild.
    "Technically correct" is the best kind of correct.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, it's a bit of a shame that things like this just get completely lost in people in 3.5e, becasue the sheer bredth of content available makes people strangely homebrew averse in this edition in particular, as people love to say, if a concept exists, you can build it in 3.5e.

I guess the countless low quality 3pp material didn't help either, as everyone and their dog decided to jump on the d20 ogl to try and make a quick buck, so everyone began to associate 3.5 homebrew with that bad 3pp material.
    World of Madius wiki - My personal campaign setting, including my homebrew Optional Gestalt/LA rules.
    The new Quick Vestige List

Quote Originally Posted by Kazyan View Post
    Playing a wizard the way GitP says wizards should be played requires the equivalent time and effort investment of a university minor. Do you really want to go down this rabbit hole, or are you comfortable with just throwing a souped-up Orb of Fire at the thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by atemu1234 View Post
    Humans are rarely truly irrational, just wrong.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RNightstalker View Post
    I know you don't want to multiclass, but the Human Paragon from Unearthed Arcana can solve that problem. It's a three level class that if taken at first level will give you more skill points to use. It also has Adaptive learning, which let's you designate one class skill to always be a class skill for that character.

1-Human Paragon 1
    2-Wizard 1
    3-Human Paragon 2
    4-Human Paragon 3
    5 and onward-Wizard

That progression will net you 8 more skill points, a bonus feat that's not restricted to item creation or metamagic, a +2 to any ability score of your choice, proficiency with a martial weapon of your choice, on top of adaptive learning the Human Paragon gets to pick any 10 skills to be class skills, a D8 for hit points, and a better BAB. The only drawback is there's no spellcasting progression at 1st level.
    I play drow from savage progressions
    But thanks for info anyway

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Crake View Post
    Yeah, it's a bit of a shame that things like this just get completely lost in people in 3.5e, becasue the sheer bredth of content available makes people strangely homebrew averse in this edition in particular, as people love to say, if a concept exists, you can build it in 3.5e.

I guess the countless low quality 3pp material didn't help either, as everyone and their dog decided to jump on the d20 ogl to try and make a quick buck, so everyone began to associate 3.5 homebrew with that bad 3pp material.
    It's possible that a lot of people already know this and if the board is being asked an optimization question, understand that the response of "homebrew it" is not a suitable option.