New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

Default Re: The Noctuary (D&D 3.5e, Level 20+ Adventure)

Quote Originally Posted by Archmage1 View Post
    Spell domain could do it as well, provided you could cast 3rd level spells and used anyspell to prepare charm person.

The Customize Domain feat could as well. Probably other options too.
    Spell Research seems much easier 🤔🤣, my choice of domains seems kinda fixed, except for Storm domain,which there for thematic fun, which could be exchanged for Elysium, IF allowed by the DM, however; Elysium demands N.G., Mindbender demands non-good...
    Last edited by Burning Spear; 2024-04-27 at 04:07 PM.
    GNU Sir Terry Pratchett

2. - Top - End - #182
    Colossus in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

I think Elysium is one of the double domains, so it takes both of your domain slots. Spell Research is definitely the simplest way, and for charm person, chain might be ok with it?
    Spoiler: Current Character List:
    Show

John Smith, Playing in the Dollhouse
    Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    Grok Magmaforge, Iron Crisis
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss
    Ileana, Godlings

3. - Top - End - #183
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Archmage1 View Post
    I think Elysium is one of the double domains, so it takes both of your domain slots. Spell Research is definitely the simplest way, and for charm person, chain might be ok with it?
    I could take; (Knowledge) Family and Storm with my cohort,

And take; (Knowledge/ Oracle) and Elysium and Balance with the Pharaonic main.
    GNU Sir Terry Pratchett

4. - Top - End - #184
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

I think someone else has asked this before, but am sure it hasn't been answered as yet;

How much point buy for cohorts?

For the main scrub, I'll request the following flaws;
    Code Of Arms (-4 on enemy with no weapon)
    Living Faith (no turn or rebuke undead)
    Last edited by Burning Spear; 2024-04-27 at 07:56 PM.
    GNU Sir Terry Pratchett

5. - Top - End - #185
    Barbarian in the Playground

Griffon

Ok, so the character I will be building (fluff wise) is a speedster-esque warrior, using stormguard warrior+evasive reflexes to stay nimble and charge up to massive strikes on his turn.

The only dragon magazine material I request is from dragon 340, the greater combat reflexes chain which lets me get iterative attacks on my AoOs

Build is probably going to end up warblade 10/eternal blade 10 but Im still figuring out the specifics

6. - Top - End - #186
    Orc in the Playground

OK, so: (i) I've added a character table to the OP, let me know if you're missing or something is wrong; (ii) I'll move the deadline down by a day so it's on a Friday by EST.

Quote Originally Posted by samduke View Post
    Ok without opening a whole can of worms
    Where you allowed the 1 weapon enhancement from pathfinder all ready,, are we allowed to request, feats & enhancement from pathfinder?
    I have in fact opened this can of worms knowingly. The answer is request first. Per my prior allowing of PF material, I am likely to OK it unless there's a 3.5e version.

Quote Originally Posted by AvatarVecna View Post
    FWIW, SBG has portals that can be crafted and built into strongholds. I'm assuming that if the stronghold is mobile, the portal within it would move with it, so that's at least one way of getting mobile portals, if this particular one isn't kosher.
    Yeah, D&D is a little ambiguous here. Presumably they follow a planet's rotation or sit still relative to a ship's deck, so you may be able to give a portal a frame of reference with respect to a moving body. This of course is not the same as them moving with perfect independence but I'm willing to give this interpretation credence of the purpose of the game.

Spoiler: The Bus
    Show
    Sometimes, it's valuable to the education process to bring the students somewhere else, to observe a natural or magical phenomenon more directly while teaching about it. These field trips are uncommon, but tend to be quite dangerous, and so I've built myself a Bus that's more like a magic tank.

Components (1ss/10000 gp):
    • 1ss/10000 gp: Auditorium, Luxury

Walls (60000 gp/ss):
    • 60000/ss: Obdurium

Wall Augmentations (144500 gp/ss):
    • 7500/ss: Airtight
    • 12000/ss: Ethereal Solid
    • 50000/ss: Magic Warding, Improved
    • 12000/ss: Magically Treated
    • 60000/ss: Prismatic Screen
    • 3000/ss: Transparent

Every bit of the walls have had Hardening cast on it at CL 20.

Mobility (436500 gp/ss):
    • 25000/ss: Incredible Locomotion
    • 10000/ss: Burrowing
    • 1000/ss: Crawling
    • 15000/ss: Flying
    • 3000/ss: Sailing
    • 7500/ss: Submersing
    • 125000/ss: Plane Shift 5/day
    • 250000/ss: Teleport Without Error 5/day

Wondrous Architecture allows for a spell effect to work on everything within a stronghold space, continuously. Depending on how mobile it is, the base price is lowered from 2000 to 1000 or even 500, and there's no duration modifier. Also AFAICT there isn't a limit on how many of them you can have in a particular stronghold space, but I'm gonna assume a low limit to keep things reasonable.

Immobile Continuous "Fortify Metal Or Stone" (3000 gp)

Create Portal allows me to make portals between locations, up to whatever size I'd like as long as I can afford them. In this instance, I'm making a portal at the back of the bus that connects back with the main base (the small college). Two-way portal like that cost 150000 gp. There's also maybe a second portal on the outside bottom of the bus, which is one-way and costs 100k.

Conclusion

The outermost bus defense is the prismatic screen, which destroys all objects and effects unless they can tank all the saves or strip all the layers with magic. Even if the screen is taken down, the obdurium is still airtight and ghost-proof, so they'll have to teleport in or beat their way through. Beating your way through the obdurium means getting past Hardness 100/540 HP/Break DC 90. You could drop this bus in freefall from orbit and it wouldn't make a scratch. A bath in lava or powerful acids tickles. A tarrasque claw at maximum PA tradeoff and damage roll still couldn't scratch this stuff unless you gave it the ability to crit objects. If you do manage to scratch it, there's an epic artificer with at-will Repair Critical Damage sitting behind it. If you teleport past the walls to make trouble, or manage to cast a spell that just requires LoS and not LoE, everyone onboard the bus has SR 32. And of course if trouble starts brewing that the professor thinks will be a problem, SOP is for students to begin evacuating before someone teleports onto the bus, or breaks the wall.

The bus can sit up to 31 people total, and is highly mobile, at least by the standards of the time. 5/day Plane Shift, 5/day Teleport (or whateve the 3.5 equivalent is), and it can burrow, crawl, fly, sail, or submerse at 10 mph. Between Plane Shift and Teleport, you should be able to get pretty close to any destination in the multiverse, close enough that your 10 mph will be sufficient for local transportation. If anyone needs to use the restroom, or evacuate, or fetch some equipment, the portal at the back of the bus allows all-day two-way connection to the main stronghold.

654000 gp/754000 gp if I purchased it at market price (adjusted for climate/city modifiers). But I'm gonna be a Landlord and a nigh-epic artificer, so that number will be...a lot lower.

Spoiler: Orbital Bombardment
    Show
    ...okay so this is gonna get stupid, and I don't have the actual building fully planned out yet but here's the concept:

The stronghold part is extremely simple. There is a deep pit with a building over it. At the bottom of the pit is a portal with a trapdoor over it. The building is essentially a small warehouse that serves as a breeding ground for a very specific kind of ooze. This is an ochre jelly that has both the Sentry Ooze and Mineral Warrior templates. Such a creature has been purchased from Neogi slave-traders, who would've had to track down or breed a very specific variant for this customer, and thus it is 4 times more expensive than usual for its CR: a total of 25600 gp, which cannot be reduced unless I'm gonna become a slime breeder.

These slimes have Int 1, and are capable of taking up to 3 feats. Those feats will be Final Strike, Improved Unarmed Strike, and Versatile Unarmed Strike. I can use magic to change whatever feats the one I purchased already had into these feats for pretty cheap, I imagine. For the next part I'll need some method of commanding/controlling/training the slimes, which should be doable.

There are two spots in the warehouse that are like...resetting healing traps, or maybe wondrous architecture granting fast healing to one specific square. In one of these spots is the ooze originally purchased (81 HP). It changes its unarmed strike to slashing, hits itself, takes no damage, and splits. Now there are two ochre jellies, each with 40 HP, each in a healing spot. Assuming this is like...resetting cure critical trap, that's 4d8+7 HP per turn, average 25. Any split oozes that aren't healing will help continue splitting until they can't split anymore (10 HP or less) and then they'll go crawl down the whole. I think they can run with a climb speed, but I'm not 100% sure.

Spoiler: Process
    Show
    Round 1
    (1) 81 HP

Round 2
    (2) 65 HP

Round 3
    (2) 57 HP
    (2) 32 HP

Round 4
    (2) 53 HP
    (2) 28 HP
    (4) 16 HP

Round 5
    (2) 51 HP
    (2) 26 HP
    (4) 14 HP
    (8) 8 HP
    Pit +8 oozes

Round 6
    (2) 50 HP
    (2) 25 HP
    (4) 13 HP
    (8) 7 HP
    Pit +8 oozes

Round 7
    (2) 50 HP
    (2) 25 HP
    (4) 12 HP
    (8) 6 HP
    Pit +8 oozes

Round 8
    (2) 50 HP
    (2) 25 HP
    (4) 12 HP
    (8) 6 HP
    Pit +8 oozes

The part of the pit the slimes are filling up is 572 feet deep. Ochre jellies are 6 inches tall and so this fits 1144 of them in the pit, a vertical column of ooze. Going from a single ooze at full HP to 1144 oozes available for the pit takes about 147 rounds; with a bit of wiggle room added to allow those later ones to move into position, that's a ~15 minute recharge time, potentially longer or shorter depending on specific rolls for the resetting Cure Critical trap (although with how many casts there are, I'm assuming average will be pretty close). The last 4 ft are the trapdoor and the portal; the other end of this one-way portal is attached to the bottom of the Bus.

The bus positions itself at least 200 ft above a given target. The trapdoor is triggered (maybe remotely, maybe by taking the two-way portal back to base to pull a lever or something). The trapdoor pulls away, and 1144 oozes fall 576 feet in the first round. This has the last of them just barely touching the portal and going through, leaving an empty pit and a once-more-closed trapdoor over the portal. The oozes will be somewhat aimed based on Aerial Bombardment rules (HoB pg 67-68). This will involve an attack roll (at -4 penalty from normal, -2 extra for every 50 ft above target, presumably with no maximum range since it counts as thrown but talks about attacks aimed more than 250 ft down) against AC 5. Presumably, if we're 200 ft above target and only taking -12, that'll be a breeze for any nigh-epic character.

The oozes fall, and land. whatever was in the 10x10 area they landed on takes 20d6 damage, as does the ooze itself. Since the ooze has 10 HP at most, 20d6 kills it 100% of the time, which triggers Final Strike. This is a 60 ft radius explosion with a primary 6d6 bludgeoning damage (Ref DC 21 for half) and an Earthquake effect, as the spell, presumably only affecting the 60 ft radius. After that, the body is so destroyed that it takes True Rez, Wish, or Miracle to bring them back (so effectively they've been disintegrated, nothing remains behind). In the first round, 744 of the jellies will make impact; the other 400 instances will hit during the second round, giving you time to escape if you somehow barely survived.

1144 instances of 20d6/6d6/earthquake is going to wreck basically anything it hits in a 15 ft diameter circle (the diameter of an ochre jelly), and wreck structures in a 135 ft diameter. You drop that onto solid stone, and there's a 15 ft diameter hole going straight down 476 ft, with everything within 60 ft of the hole severely damaged by the massive number of earthquakes that just occurred. if you dropped it on a structure, then each of those jellies is also dealing 100 damage (bypassing hardness) to every structure within 60 ft of the impact zone. If you did that to the Bus while the prismatic screen was down, the Bus would be destroyed in just 6 hits.
    I am roughly willing to allow both. Caveats:

• The magic schoolbus is just the standard endgame caster superbase, playing stronghold rules straight but with a lot of wealth. Not allowing it would be more ad hoc than I want to be. But the same is true for grabbing Leadership and building a straight Artificer companion, and the same principle applies: excepting special circumstances, the companion/stronghold should be relegated to a party support or fluff role, and the player should try to find a reason for this to be so. I don't think this should be hard for the magic schoolbus, it's basically designed to be a party support base, but just bear this in mind. Especially for the next caveat...
    • The concept of orbital bombardment—once we work out details of details and logistics—would be oddly thematically consistent with the second half or third of this campaign if we ever get to that point. So I want to allow some version of this. Problems: (i) how are you getting Final Strike onto slimes without DCFS; (ii) the process is simple enough we must ask why NPCs in the world aren't using the slime air strike, and whatever excuses and limitations we think up should apply to you as well; (iii) as before, these projects should play a support role. Orbital bombardments do have a place in larger campaign-level discussions, but the player should come up with some excuse (once we satisfy (i)–(ii)) as to why they're not replacing adventuring wholesale with orbital strikes, excepting again special circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by Yas392 View Post
    @chaincomplex How are we doing buy offs for bloodlines?

EDIT: Requesting extending enhancement from dragon magazine 302, page 84.
    • Standard bloodline rules. I don't think there's any buy off for it.
    • OK on extending.

The Wondrous Magic Item
    Collar of umbral metamorphsis 22,000 gp -> grants the Dark Creature Template, my question here is where it is granted by an item am I able to ignore the normal LA+1 assignment of the Dark Creature Template ??
    Yes. You are given the template, you aren't taking in a build, no LA.

Where I am building what is a 4 armed creature, Magic Item slots become a question
    Head, Headband, Face, Throat, Shoulders, Body, Torso, Waist, Feet, Slotless <- these should remain unchanged
    Arms, Hands, Rings <- these could gain additional slots
    So the question is for those 3 normal slot areas would you grant extra slots?
    IIRC RAW is that none of them get additional slots.

LAST
    were you allowing multiple magic items of the same slot to be combined with the lesser valued at additional 50% cost ?
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by BelGareth View Post
    @chain, how would you feel about a custom item based off Collar of umbral metamorphosis, by changing the template?
    No.

Quote Originally Posted by BelGareth View Post
    also requesting Girdle of Hate, i can't for the life of me find where it's actually from, but it's definitely an item. I think it's from DrM136, but couldn't find it. Found references to it here
    EDIT2: someone informed me it's in dragon compendium on page 136. (so i assume it's already approved)
    Yep.

Quote Originally Posted by Burning Spear View Post
    @chaincomplex
    Are Leadership + derivatives allowed, or do you harbour animosity against those?
    As I mentioned above, things like Leadership should outside of special circumstances be relegated to support or RP, with the player finding an excuse to make it so.

Quote Originally Posted by truemane View Post
    1. How do you feel about Dragon characters? Either using the rules in the Dracomicon or Oslecamo's Monster Classes?

2. From the (now defunct) Mind's Eye series:
    • Crystal Master PrC
    • Meditant PrC
    • Educated Wilder Variant

3. Radiant Creature Template from Dragon Magazine 321.

4. If someone took the Tashalatora Feat, would they need a level in Monk to stack with their Psion levels? Or does 20 + 0 = 20?

5. This Vow of Poverty fix.
    1. Draconomicon rules are OK, are they broken in some way that you'd prefer Oslecamo's monster classes though? I don't remember the Draconomicon well.
    2. OK.
    3. OK.
    4. I am willing to read it as not explicitly requiring monk levels. Obviously you still need those monk class features from other sources though.
    5. No. VoP does need a fix and this one seems fine. Buuut it so happens a character from the precursor game was given VoP for free on the premise that VoP really is a downgrade to not having VoP. I don't want to break that premise in two by fixing VoP.

Quote Originally Posted by Taelas View Post
    Requests:
    Dragon Magazine 324, pp. 96: Chivalrous Courtesy and Code of Arms (flaws)
    Dragon Magazine 358, pp. 39-43, "Master's Forge": Segmented Armor and Reinforced Armor, specifically
    OK on all.

How are we to create cohorts?
    Use the starting array 15, 14, 13, 12, 10, and 8. Average each HD, rounding up (per HD).

Quote Originally Posted by Auranghzeb View Post
    Questions/asks:
    1. Deity: I''m going with Heironeous. But I'd like to re-fluff it as the Light Eidolon.
    2. Could I re-fluff the Sunblade to make it a Longsworrd instead of a Bastard sword? This is because I'm thinking about Finding a way to grab Hammer's Edge (the feat) But it's not that relevant.
    1. Uhhh what is the Light Eidolon?
    2. Rather than re-fluff, let's just say the sun blade enchantment can apply to longswords as well. So I guess, pay (or save) the difference in base costs, which would include the costs of said weapons.

How much point buy for cohorts?
    Answered.

For the main scrub, I'll request the following flaws;
    Code Of Arms (-4 on enemy with no weapon)
    Living Faith (no turn or rebuke undead)
    OK on both.

Quote Originally Posted by Halfelf ninja View Post
    The only dragon magazine material I request is from dragon 340, the greater combat reflexes chain which lets me get iterative attacks on my AoOs
    Page ref?
    Last edited by chaincomplex; 2024-04-28 at 11:03 AM.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Troll in the Playground

For purely thematic reasons I'd like to request the Endless trait from Dragon Magazine #354, page 52. I would of course grab the Wedded to History feat on page 54 and go with the Apostle of the Forgotten "background" for it.

I was thinking that she could be the only person alive that remembers the God of Death that ruled long before Jergal and that her wish is to see that god return to its rightful place, which she wants to use the Noctuary to achieve. I think it really fits with the idea of her being this ancient and frightening portent of death and the idea that there were older gods than the ones remembered in Faerun is kinda spooky.

Whether it'd be a good thing or not is another matter entirely, given that it could very well be like someone wishing to free the Titans so they can overthrow the Olympians.
    "Don't think of it as dying," said Death,
    "Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush."

8. - Top - End - #188
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by chaincomplex View Post
    Yeah, D&D is a little ambiguous here. Presumably they follow a planet's rotation or sit still relative to a ship's deck, so you may be able to give a portal a frame of reference with respect to a moving body. This of course is not the same as them moving with perfect independence but I'm willing to give this interpretation credence of the purpose of the game.
    *nodnod*

The magic schoolbus is just the standard endgame caster superbase, playing stronghold rules straight but with a lot of wealth. Not allowing it would be more ad hoc than I want to be. But the same is true for grabbing Leadership and building a straight Artificer companion, and the same principle applies: excepting special circumstances, the companion/stronghold should be relegated to a party support or fluff role, and the player should try to find a reason for this to be so. I don't think this should be hard for the magic schoolbus, it's basically designed to be a party support base, but just bear this in mind. Especially for the next caveat...
    1) Uh oh I think you figured out what I'm going for here. I promise I'm gonna play it a bit more seriously but uh...yeah.

2) I absolutely agree, and fortunately that doesn't require a lot of changes. The thing about the bus, and really any mobile stronghold, is that's rather slow, and doesn't really have a ton of firepower. It's primary benefit is that it's close to indestructible to most standard situations. It's less a like...realworld "driving into a warzone and shooting everything" tank, and more a "I'm going to sit here soaking all the damage while my friends beat up on the bad guy" tank. It is designed for providing survivability to the passengers. The prismatic screen is hypothetically a potential weapon, since it's a SoL effect to anyone that hits the last layer (and a few of the others), but I think we can stretch RAW a teeny tiny bit to cover that. Here's a general rule about abjurations:

If an abjuration creates a barrier that keeps certain types of creatures at bay, that barrier cannot be used to push away those creatures. If you force the barrier against such a creature, you feel a discernible pressure against the barrier. If you continue to apply pressure, you end the spell.
    So technically this is more meant for like...antilife sphere or magic circle against evil. Normally it would prevent entry to specific creatures, but it can be moved. But abjurations are defensive in nature, so you can't move towards a creature it would prevent entry for, and squeeze them against a wall. I think this either applies to, or can be minorly stretched to apply to, prismatic screen, such that flying into somebody doesn't provoke a number of SoDs. Anyway, the bus isn't gonna have any other weapons except maybe the ooze cannon. If you're in the bus, and you wanna do something to people outside the bus, you either already need stuff that doesn't require LoE, or you need to exit.

As for movement...the bus can teleport around a little bit, and it can move at 10 mph. Which is fast for a vehicle, but in character terms that's 88 ft/round. That's like..."a dwarf running in heavy armor" speeds. That's "monk 20" speeds. It's not awful, but it's not really great, and you can't buy it faster than that. It's not gonna go dogfighting with dragons, and at this level, I imagine most characters will have at least Fly 60 ft on their own, and possibly much better.

This is a scouting vessel, for teleporting into a dangerous area and getting a quick look around, safe in the knowledge that it takes like bare minimum 8 spells before someone has LoE on you. And it's troop transport, it can bring people to the battlefield, but it doesn't really serve as a good way to participate in a fight. It's not a tank or a fighter jet, it's...a bus. It's a very tough bus.

Also, it's big. Normal caster thing is to make a 0.5ss to save money and space, and that's 2000 Sq ft. That's like a 15 ft diameter sphere. But this is a bus. It's 40 ft long and doesn't really get on its backside. It's not gonna fit inside places that aren't specifically built for it.

The concept of orbital bombardment—once we work out details of details and logistics—would be oddly thematically consistent with the second half or third of this campaign if we ever get to that point. So I want to allow some version of this. Problems: (i) how are you getting Final Strike onto slimes without DCFS; (ii) the process is simple enough we must ask why NPCs in the world aren't using the slime air strike, and whatever excuses and limitations we think up should apply to you as well; (iii) as before, these projects should play a support role. Orbital bombardments do have a place in larger campaign-level discussions, but the player should come up with some excuse (once we satisfy (i)–(ii)) as to why they're not replacing adventuring wholesale with orbital strikes, excepting again special circumstances.[/LIST]
    > How are you getting Final Strike onto slimes

Sentry Oozes aren't born, they're the result of magical experiments. It grants them intelligence, and a bunch of feat slots. Presumably, the ooze gets to choose its own feats, but control over the ooze should let you make those kinds of decisions for it.

> the process is simple enough, why NPCs don't do it

There's a number of barriers. Firstly, you either need to find a Mineral Warrior/Ochre Jelly yourself, or you need to hire someone who can. The first can be difficult to do solo, which is why I mentioned the rules where you can enlist the help of a slaver society. But buying a slave from the slave traders is something that turns some people off (and is, frankly, dangerous if you can't resist them yourself). Additionally, if you're buying from the Neogi, they're not selling you the original, they're selling you a Split clone, that way they can use it themselves, or sell more to someone else. Working with them is potentially a strategic mistake, but they make the "find an ooze" part of the plan difficult. If the one you found was already a Sentry Ooze with the right feats, great; otherwise, you've gotta do the experiments yourself and figure out how to give it the template (and then figure out how to give it the right feats). Luckily, we can split oozes off for our test subjects until we get one that works.

Secondly, deploying the oozes in any kind of reasonable manner takes a lot of space, which realistically needs a lot of money. Each ooze is taking up roughly 88 cubic feet, and you're dropping 1144 of them at a time. That's ~100000 cubic feet you need, just for the shaft. Starting the oozes high, or digging a deep hole, will be much more expensive than usual. Finally, Portals require CL 17 to craft at all, so anyone wanting to make one basically already needs the ability to write their own checks, more or less. And of those that possess that much magic, this is just one method of enacting mass destruction, and all it does is a 400 ft deep hole 15 ft in diameter. It's pretty good, but epic casters can do a lot of dumb stuff that's way better, without having to spend like 200 grand up front.

Between the required casting, the required cost, the required land, the difficulty (tedium or moral) of acquiring the original specimen, it's probable that I'm not the only one in the world doing this, but there also won't be that many of them. But if we have many epic opponents, this is something they could easily be doing too, especially if they're already Landlords.
    Last edited by AvatarVecna; 2024-04-28 at 11:57 AM.

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Cazero's Graduates Of Hope's Peak - Danganronpa Mafia

Quote Originally Posted by Xumtiil View Post
    An Abattoir Vecna, if you will.
    My Homebrew

9. - Top - End - #189

OK, so: (i) I've added a character table to the OP, let me know if you're missing or something is wrong; (ii) I'll move the deadline down by a day so it's on a Friday by EST.
    Mine’s in #54

10. - Top - End - #190
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Please add One Ear to the Table

I suppose I should formally request the phantom sparks (dragon 327) and wild (dragon 329) flaws. Both are thematically appropriate. And Phantom Sparks, especially, is very punishing.

{follow-up question} do I qualify for bonus feats I earn as a shadowcaster after entering Noctumancer? I pencilled in earning one bonus feat, but I realize this may be wrong in either direction based on how I pick mysteries. This question is one that is kind of specific to the fix implemented and open to interpretation, as I understand it. Shadowcaster bonus feats are first available in the original version at level 2, but the number is based on paths entered.

{second follow-up question} I realize I need to also formally request Trickster Spellthief (dragon 353), which is vital to my build, and the use of Natural Spell as a Tibbit, which is basically flavor.
    Last edited by Feathersnow; 2024-04-28 at 01:46 PM.
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    Survived Total War: Mandate of Heaven as The Witch-Doctors
    Thrived in Empire! 7 as the Sakura-Jin

11. - Top - End - #191
    Bugbear in the Playground

ClericGuy

Also requesting these flaws:

Implacable (Dragon Magazine #328) and Weapon Bound (Dragon Magazine #326). Also, asking for weapon bound flaw to work with herectic of the faith feat (power of Faerun pg. 46).
    Last edited by Arael666; 2024-04-28 at 09:41 PM.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

1. Uhhh what is the Light Eidolon?
    2. Rather than re-fluff, let's just say the sun blade enchantment can apply to longswords as well. So I guess, pay (or save) the difference in base costs, which would include the costs of said weapons.
    From the Lumi description in MM3: "The lumi worship Light as a concept rather than owing allegiance to any deity. They praise its ability to uncover that which is hidden and see it as a symbol of purity and truth. The lumi themselves are honest to a fault and are known for their inability to hold back from telling others blunt and unflattering truths. They despise deception above all other offenses, and lies (or even simple illusion spells) are capital crimes within their settlements.
    The lumi have a highly ordered society with a strict hierarchy based on their theology. Each settlement is more or less independent, though periodically the High Ecclesiastics of many cities will gather in a hidden cathedral that floats alone in the Positive Energy Plane."

The get The War, Law and Sun Domains. But Ordained Champion requires worshipping Heironeous or Hextor. So basically, I'm asking if I can grab the PrC with my current theological quandaries.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Here's my character, Lorwyn Suaril, a Rogue / Warlock / Arcane Trickster. She's a thief who got into a bad situation years ago and has been trying to get out of her pact with her Patron ever since.

She's got the trapfinding thief skills and flies around shooting eldritch blasts while invisible during combat. One of her tricks is to use Eldritch Chain with Hammer Blast to sunder the weapons of 4 enemies at once.

The magic items are pretty standard. The custom Ring of Skeleton Keys is just an upgraded Lockpicking Ring, basically. The amulet combines the Greater Chasuble of Fell Power and Dragon's Eye Amulet. I added the Nimbleness special ability to the Celestial Armor and increased the enhancement bonus.
    "We have sent many to Hell, to smooth our way," said I, "and we are standing yet and holding blades. What more?"- Roger Zelazny, This Immortal
    Avatar Image: The Great Wave off Kanagawa by Hokusai; bitmap version by me.

14. - Top - End - #194
    Ogre in the Playground

My entry:

Spoiler
    Show
    Aeric Hartford
    Male Lawful Neutral Human Ranger 1/Fighter 19, Level 20, Init +15, HP 338/338, Speed 30 ft., fly 60 ft. (average)
    AC 52, Touch 23, Flat-footed 46, Fort +27, Ref +21, Will +21, Base Attack Bonus +20/+15/+10/+5
    +5 eager bastard sword/+5 warning parrying bastard sword +34/+34/+34/+29/+29/+24/+24/+19 (1d10+25/1d10+19, 17-20/×2)
    +5 glamered segmented reinforced full mithral plate of nimbleness, +5 animated heavy mithral shield (+16 Armor, +8 Shield, +6 Dex, +5 Deflect, +5 Natural, +2 Misc)
    Abilities Str 32, Dex 22, Con 22, Int 20, Wis 16, Cha 20
    Condition None
    Spoiler: Cohort
    Show
    Isera
    Female Lawful Evil Erinyes Outsider 9/LA 1/Deepwood Sniper 7, Level 17, Init +10, HP 130/130, DR 5/good, SR 20, Speed 30 ft., fly 50 ft. (good)
    AC 36, Touch 22, Flat-footed 26, Fort +14, Ref +23, Will +12, Base Attack Bonus +16/+11/+6/+1
    +5 energy bow +30/+30/+25/+20/+15 (2d6+14, 19-20/×5)
    bastard sword +23/+18/+13/+8 (1d10+13, 19-20/×2)
    entangle silk rope +26 ( , )
    bracers of armor +4 (+4 Armor, +10 Dex, +2 Deflect, +10 Natural)
    Abilities Str 28, Dex 30, Con 20, Int 18, Wis 16, Cha 26
    Condition None

Last edited by Taelas; 2024-05-03 at 01:24 PM.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Titan in the Playground

Are items restricted to only be usable with a specific skill/class/alignment allowed?

If so, can they be combined?

If so, do they combine multiplicatively they way crafting cost reductions generally do, or is this different since it's a change in actual market price, rather than just a crafting cost reduction?

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Cazero's Graduates Of Hope's Peak - Danganronpa Mafia

My Homebrew

16. - Top - End - #196

@chaincomplex: for Syana (who's already in your table), the build is not Bard 20. Like all the other mechanical notes & calculations, you can find it in the Other Notes section at the bottom:
    Bard 7 / War Weaver 2 / Recaster 1 / Sublime Chord 2 / War Weaver +3 / Sacred Exorcist 1 / Recaster +4

or if you care only about classes and not order, to simplify the table:
    Bard 7 / War Weaver 5 / Recaster 5 / Sublime Chord 2 / Sacred Exorcist 1

Sacred Exorcist is still up in the air, since it's pretty much used just for 1 Domain feat (currently Protection Devotion).
    Last edited by namo; 2024-04-28 at 03:49 PM.
    "Even gods must learn to control their tempers, lest they set a bad example."
    The Malazan Book of the Fallen, Steven Erikson

17. - Top - End - #197
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

@chaincomplex
    request
    Horned Helm (Arms and Equipment Guide p133) 38,000 gp I believe this is 3.5 but it could be 3.0

18. - Top - End - #198
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

I have in fact opened this can of worms knowingly. The answer is request first. Per my prior allowing of PF material, I am likely to OK it unless there's a 3.5e version.
    I will have some interest in a few little PF things, will get back on that.
    As I mentioned above, things like Leadership should outside of special circumstances be relegated to support or RP, with the player finding an excuse to make it so.
    Cool with that, I'll have to still come up with a grand dream or ambition to fulfill.
    OK on all.
    Thanks!, will update her stats/ and start building a sheet.
    Use the starting array 15, 14, 13, 12, 10, and 8. Average each HD, rounding up (per HD).
    Okidoki
    Answered.
    Yup!.
    OK on both.
    How much gold do the cohorts start with? or do we have to pay them from our own starting funds?

Quote Originally Posted by Infernally Clay View Post
    For purely thematic reasons I'd like to request the Endless trait from Dragon Magazine #354, page 52. I would of course grab the Wedded to History feat on page 54 and go with the Apostle of the Forgotten "background" for it.

I was thinking that she could be the only person alive that remembers the God of Death that ruled long before Jergal and that her wish is to see that god return to its rightful place, which she wants to use the Noctuary to achieve. I think it really fits with the idea of her being this ancient and frightening portent of death and the idea that there were older gods than the ones remembered in Faerun is kinda spooky.

Whether it'd be a good thing or not is another matter entirely, given that it could very well be like someone wishing to free the Titans so they can overthrow the Olympians.
    I'm not the Dm, But I do know Jergal was the FIRST god of death, there were none before him (counting "human" gods anyway).

Imo Gods like Jergal and Amaunator and Garagos should not be messed with, lol. They are the originals!
    Last edited by Burning Spear; 2024-04-28 at 08:35 PM.
    GNU Sir Terry Pratchett

19. - Top - End - #199
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

@chaincomplex
    request
    Horned Helm (Arms and Equipment Guide p133) 38,000 gp I believe this is 3.5 but it could be 3.0
    Horned Helm is to be found in the Magic Item Compendium, P. 112
    GNU Sir Terry Pratchett

20. - Top - End - #200
    Firbolg in the Playground

AssassinGuy

• Standard bloodline rules. I don't think there's any buy off for it.
    • OK on extending.
    Needing a clarification on extending. If we slap it on a reach weapon that allows us to attack adjacent targets and extend it to 15 ft, we won't be losing the ability to enemies 5-10 ft from us?

21. - Top - End - #201
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Infernally Clay View Post
    Go for it.

So technically this is more meant for like...antilife sphere or magic circle against evil. Normally it would prevent entry to specific creatures, but it can be moved. But abjurations are defensive in nature, so you can't move towards a creature it would prevent entry for, and squeeze them against a wall. I think this either applies to, or can be minorly stretched to apply to, prismatic screen, such that flying into somebody doesn't provoke a number of SoDs. Anyway, the bus isn't gonna have any other weapons except maybe the ooze cannon. If you're in the bus, and you wanna do something to people outside the bus, you either already need stuff that doesn't require LoE, or you need to exit.
    This interpretation is a little problematic because, for instance, imagine a ship with a prismatic wall sitting on its deck, facing towards the stern. The ship is moving at 1 mph. A person on the deck is walking to the aft at 1 mph. From the wall's perspective, the person is approaching it, and thus subject to its harm. From the world's perspective, the person is stationary, and the ship is moving the wall to the person.

I'm half considering letting you ram with the prismatic stronghold walls. Part of it is really that... anything that would be vulnerable to this, wasn't really going to be a threat to the party anyways. Plus presumably you wouldn't be typically be driving the schoolbus around in general adventuring per the principle of staying in the background here. I'll think about this more when the game gets going.

Between the required casting, the required cost, the required land, the difficulty (tedium or moral) of acquiring the original specimen, it's probable that I'm not the only one in the world doing this, but there also won't be that many of them. But if we have many epic opponents, this is something they could easily be doing too, especially if they're already Landlords.
    This is decent justification. Alright, I buy it. We'll handle its construction in the campaign, up to and including sourcing the sentry oozes. Also it should coincide with the part of the campaign where orbital strikes are interesting for the adventure premise and not just a tactical gimmick, if this game lasts long enough for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Feathersnow View Post
    Please add One Ear to the Table
    Done.

I suppose I should formally request the phantom sparks (dragon 327) and wild (dragon 329) flaws. Both are thematically appropriate. And Phantom Sparks, especially, is very punishing.

{second follow-up question} I realize I need to also formally request Trickster Spellthief (dragon 353), which is vital to my build, and the use of Natural Spell as a Tibbit, which is basically flavor.
    OK on all.

{follow-up question} do I qualify for bonus feats I earn as a shadowcaster after entering Noctumancer? I pencilled in earning one bonus feat, but I realize this may be wrong in either direction based on how I pick mysteries. This question is one that is kind of specific to the fix implemented and open to interpretation, as I understand it. Shadowcaster bonus feats are first available in the original version at level 2, but the number is based on paths entered.
    In the OG or in the fix I think the interpretation is that you do continue to qualify for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Arael666 View Post
    Also requesting these flaws:

Implacable (Dragon Magazine #328) and Weapon Bound (Dragon Magazine #326). Also, asking for weapon bound flaw to work with herectic of the faith feat (power of Faerun pg. 46).
    Granted, and willing to interpret Heretic of the Faith as applying to Weapon Bound.

Quote Originally Posted by Auranghzeb View Post
    The get The War, Law and Sun Domains. But Ordained Champion requires worshipping Heironeous or Hextor. So basically, I'm asking if I can grab the PrC with my current theological quandaries.
    Noted. I see the PrC doesn't have any substantative references to Heironeous, so granted, feel free to refluff the worship requirements.

Quote Originally Posted by Chambers View Post
    Here's my character, Lorwyn Suaril, a Rogue / Warlock / Arcane Trickster...
    Added

My entry:

Spoiler
    Show
    Aeric Hartford
    Male Lawful Neutral Human Ranger 1/Fighter 19, Level 20, Init +15, HP 338/338, Speed 30 ft., fly 60 ft. (average)
    AC 52, Touch 23, Flat-footed 46, Fort +27, Ref +21, Will +21, Base Attack Bonus +20/+15/+10/+5
    +5 eager bastard sword/+5 warning parrying bastard sword +34/+34/+34/+29/+29/+24/+24/+19 (1d10+25/1d10+19, 17-20/×2)
    +5 glamered segmented reinforced full mithral plate of nimbleness, +5 animated heavy mithral shield (+16 Armor, +8 Shield, +6 Dex, +5 Deflect, +5 Natural, +2 Misc)
    Abilities Str 32, Dex 22, Con 22, Int 20, Wis 16, Cha 20
    Condition None
    Spoiler: Cohort
    Show
    Isera
    Female Lawful Evil Erinyes Outsider 9/LA 7/Deepwood Sniper 1, Level 17, Init +6, HP 100/100, DR 5/good, SR 20, Speed 30 ft., fly 50 ft. (good)
    AC 31, Touch 18, Flat-footed 25, Fort +14, Ref +18, Will +12, Base Attack Bonus +10/+5
    +5 energy bow +20/+20/+15 (2d6+11, 19-20/×3)
    bastard sword +14/+9 (1d10+9, 19-20/×2)
    entangle silk rope +16 ( , )
    bracers of armor +3 (+3 Armor, +6 Dex, +2 Deflect, +10 Natural)
    Abilities Str 23, Dex 22, Con 20, Int 20, Wis 16, Cha 25
    Condition None

Added.

Are items restricted to only be usable with a specific skill/class/alignment allowed?

If so, can they be combined?

If so, do they combine multiplicatively they way crafting cost reductions generally do, or is this different since it's a change in actual market price, rather than just a crafting cost reduction?
    Yes to allowed and combination, and by RAW I think they also combine multiplicatively, pretty unambiguously at that. I'm cognizant the Artificer doesn't really need more boosts to its power but, again, these are benefits that I expect the player to direct towards the party overall, so I'm unwilling to make ad hoc rulings to nerf.

This should make epic magic items more palatable if and when they're on the table.

Quote Originally Posted by namo View Post
    @chaincomplex: for Syana (who's already in your table), the build is not Bard 20. Like all the other mechanical notes & calculations, you can find it in the Other Notes section at the bottom...
    Noted, fixed.

@chaincomplex
    request
    OK. Also the MIC variant, which I didn't check but I'm sure MIC is OK.

How much gold do the cohorts start with? or do we have to pay them from our own starting funds?
    Good point. Let me consolidate cohort generation:

• Ability Scores. By array: 15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8
    • Health. For each hit die, average and round up.
    • Wealth. 159,000 gp

Quote Originally Posted by Yas392 View Post
    Needing a clarification on extending. If we slap it on a reach weapon that allows us to attack adjacent targets and extend it to 15 ft, we won't be losing the ability to enemies 5-10 ft from us?
    By my RAW reading, funnily enough, when you extend e.g. a spiked chain you can strike at 15 ft. or 5 ft, but not at 10 ft. My adjudication here will depend on what's physically plausible. Does it make sense that, supposing you had a weapon that could spontaneously extend, that it could have an effective range at 5 ft. and 15 ft. but not at 10 ft.? I'm willing to hear arguments in either direction.

22. - Top - End - #202
    Ogre in the Playground

So I noticed you've OK'd many of the rebalanced LAs from the reassignment thread. I was looking it up for my cohort, and they lowered her race from an LA of +7 to an LA of +1. Is that on the table? My cohort is not much of a combat threat and wouldn't be even with six extra levels, though she'd go from outright laughable to somewhere just shy of viable...

23. - Top - End - #203
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm not seeing a world where an extended spiked chain has this hole in threatened area between 5ft and 15ft.

Provided the extending property is triggered as a free action, then there's RAW support for that, as the user could have the weapon extend and de-extend at-will even between iteratives.
    VC XV, The horsemen are drawing nearer: The Alien and the Omen (part 1 and part 2).
    VC XVI, Burn baby burn:Nero
    VC XVIII, This is Heresy! Torquemada
    VC XX, Elder Evil: Henry Bowyer

And a repository of deliciously absurd sentences produced by maddened optimisers in my extended signature

24. - Top - End - #204
    Firbolg in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Free actions to switch range as stated above.

And the whip and feats that increases your reach.

The whip can attack anywhere within 15 ft.

Feats like Inhuman Reach and Deformity (Tall) allow you to reach 5 ft further without penalizing your weapon e.g a hole/safety zone between range.
    Last edited by Yas392; 2024-04-29 at 06:08 AM.

25. - Top - End - #205
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

@chaincomplex
    request
    GNU Sir Terry Pratchett

26. - Top - End - #206

By my RAW reading, funnily enough, when you extend e.g. a spiked chain you can strike at 15 ft. or 5 ft, but not at 10 ft. My adjudication here will depend on what's physically plausible. Does it make sense that, supposing you had a weapon that could spontaneously extend, that it could have an effective range at 5 ft. and 15 ft. but not at 10 ft.? I'm willing to hear arguments in either direction.
    I would argue the text of the enchantment actually overrides the spiked chain specificity, making it threaten only at the given distance (and making this enchantment bad for spiked chains and whips).

A more lenient DM ruling would let them threaten 5-10 (as normal) or 10-15. I don't see what could justify extending the threatened zone to 5-15; the enchantment doesn't let you do that.
    "Even gods must learn to control their tempers, lest they set a bad example."
    The Malazan Book of the Fallen, Steven Erikson

27. - Top - End - #207
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

Good point. Let me consolidate cohort generation:

• Ability Scores. By array: 15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8
    • Health. For each hit die, average and round up.
    • Wealth. 159,000 gp
    Cheers. That at least gives us some parameters to work with
    GNU Sir Terry Pratchett

28. - Top - End - #208
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Just checking about bloodlines, what do you mean by "standard rules"?

Do they take a level slot? (Which is so much worse than LA, because they also cost xp)

Are the just xp expenditures, similar to la buy off? The more strict reading would be to pay the xp at the intended levels (2k right befored 3rd level, 5k right before 6th level and 11k right before 12th level, for a total of 18k xp "loss").

I am still trying to make a single class app (I gave up on the paladin, it would just play as a fighter anyway), but with the last rulings, leadership kinda becomes mandatory...
    Last edited by droobles; 2024-04-29 at 07:39 AM.

29. - Top - End - #209
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

OK. Also the MIC variant, which I didn't check but I'm sure MIC is OK.
    I would like to point out the MIC variant is different from the A&Eg variant.
    I requested the A&Eg for a reason, so I am taking that OK from the gm that variant is okay for my use.

i still have a little over 4k for gear- so I am looking at the MIC

Request if needed

SACRED SCABBARD (MIC p183) 4,400 gp
    A sacred scabbard can change shape to fit any dagger, sword, or axe touched to it, even making allowances for double weapons. The scabbard keeps any weapon carried in it clean and sharp.
    Furthermore, three times per day, you can command it to produce a bless weapon effect on the weapon it holds as you draw it. This effect lasts for 10 rounds. A sacred scabbard functions only for good aligned characters.

>
    notation if this is approved then Ginger will only have 29.48 gp left for travel coins otherwise she will have 4,429.48
    Last edited by samduke; 2024-04-29 at 08:20 AM.

30. - Top - End - #210
    Titan in the Playground

Professor Reginald Ventnorwall

Sheet Link

Spoiler: Concept
    Show

Reggie has always been insatiably curious about the world around him. How does the weather work? Why are unicorns so biologically different from horses? How tall can a building get before it needs a basement, and does its width change that? What do the movements of the stars tell us about the universe? How hot is lava, anyway? How is it that dragons can breathe out spurts of lightning? It frequently baffles him how often people accept common knowledge on such things at face value without diving deeper. The world we live in is an iceberg, with so much knowledge hidden just below the surface, if one is willing to just take the plunge.

Reggie bounced around Khorvaire from apprenticeship to college before settling in Sharn. While the Esoteric Order may have been a group of more serious academics, they were too often stifled by pointless traditions, too often chained by a mission statement to protect the interests of those in power. Reggie signed up with The Guild Of Starlight instead, and became a focal point for wizards keen on research for its own sake, as opposed to studying magic in pursuit of benefit for crown and country. He used his talents to bring about a university in the heart of the city of towers, a campus offering education on a wide variety of topics, allowing any young mage or craftsman to learn to shape the world in their image.

While Reggie has never been gifted with magic directly, he's studied it enough that he's figured out how to produce devices that mimic the results of spellcasting reliably. The depth and width of his education has paid off, allowing him to create wonders beyond the wildest imaginations of his youth. Flying buildings, gauntlets generating impregnable force fields, goggles that let him see perfectly fine no matter what, rings of power rendering him all but invulnerable...countless wonders that few would ever believe if they did not witness. But there is always more to learn: for every one of the universe's secrets he's teased out and leveraged for his own use, there are a hundred more waiting to be discovered.

When he learned there were worlds beyond his own, even beyond the planes whose presence waxed and waned in Eberron, Reggie was delighted. His curiosity was awakened, and he sought to understand how they differed from his own in terms of natural laws. He traveled between planets, made allies of like-minded mages from distant lands, and learned as much as he could in the time he had. Gradually, rumors reached his ears of The Noctuary, an observatory beyond the edges of the universe that could accomplish anything, if one could find it and figure out how to make it work. The idea of such a thing intrigued him immensely - not to use it, exactly, but to figure out how it works. This is no natural place, it was designed and built. Someone made it capable of what it's capable of. If it can indeed do anything, then analyzing it long enough, deep enough, will provide answers to any question, unlock every secret of the multiverse Reggie cares to look for. Given enough time, maybe he could even learn to recreate it, to bring the wonder back home with him and usher in a new golden age of unlimited possibility.

Spoiler: Build
    Show
    Old Human Artificer 20

Attributes (no items): 7/11/11/25/15/15
    Attributes (book set): 12/16/16/30/20/20

Flaws:
    • Noncombatant
    • Unreactive

Traits:
    • Absent-Minded
    • Near-Sighted

Feats:
    • HD 1: Education
    • Human 1: Apprentice (Craftsman) / Mentor
    • Flaw 1: Legendary Artisan
    • Flaw 1: Magical Artisan (Legendary Artisan)
    • Artificer 1: Scribe Scroll
    • Artificer 2: Brew Potion
    • HD 3: Knowledge Devotion
    • Artificer 3: Craft Wondrous Item
    • Artificer 4: Extraordinary Artisan
    • Artificer 5: Craft Magic Arms & Armor
    • HD 6: Leadership
    • Artificer 6: Craft Wand
    • Artificer 8: Exceptional Artisan
    • HD 9: Landlord
    • Artificer 9: Craft Rod
    • HD 12: Magical Artisan (Extraordinary Artisan)
    • Artificer 12: Craft Staff
    • Artificer 12: Maximize Spell
    • Artificer 14: Forge Rings
    • HD 15: Magical Artisan (Exceptional Artisan)
    • Artificer 16: Craft Construct
    • HD 18: Create Portal
    • Artificer 20: Extra Rings

Skills:
    • Craft/Alchemy 23
    • Disable Device 23
    • Knowledge/Arcana 23
    • Knowledge/Architecture & Engineering 23
    • Knowledge/Dungeoneering 23
    • Knowledge/Geography 23
    • Knowledge/Local 23
    • Knowledge/Nature 23
    • Knowledge/Religion 23
    • Knowledge/The Planes 23
    • Open Lock 23
    • Profession/Teacher 23
    • Search 23
    • Spellcraft 23
    • Use Magic Device 23

Spoiler: Crafting Cost Reduction Stuff
    Show
    GP: x321,489/3,200,000 (x0.1004653125)
    • 0.5: Craft Yourself
    • 0.9: Required Skill
    • 0.7: Required Class
    • 0.7: Required Alignment
    • 0.9: Apprentice (Craftsman)
    • 0.9: Wizard Circle
    • 0.75: Extraordinary Artisan
    • 0.75: Magical Artisan (Extraordinary Artisan)

XP: x35,721/4,000,000 (x0.00893025)
    • 0.04: Craft Yourself
    • 0.9: Wizard Circle
    • 0.75: Legendary Artisan
    • 0.75: Magical Artisan (Legendary Artisan)

Time: x3,969/32,000,000 (x0.00012403125)
    • 0.001: Craft Yourself
    • 0.75: Exceptional Artisan
    • 0.75: Magical Artisan (Exceptional Artisan)
    • 0.5: Research Aid

Additionally, spellcasting services up to mid-level spells cost 80% normal price, and spell components cost 90% normal price. Wizard Circles are awesome.

Spoiler: Stuff To Prep Stronghold
    Show
    Wizard Circle Membership: 1000 gp

2 Power Stones of "Anchor Plane" (602.8 gp/1554 XP/2 days)
    (Cohort crafted these, cuz Psionic Artificer. I'm not very familiar with psionic stuff, so I won't be using it much - and when I do, I'll definitely need a second pair of eyes making sure I didn't screw up.)

(make these first and set them up in your site-to-be, that way you can build everything else while benefitting from the x10/timeless overlap.)

3 Scrolls of "Hardening" CL 20 (3604.2 gp/81 XP/3 days)
    (Hardening has an expensive component, although I get it slightly cheaper)

Lyre Of Building (1306.05 gp/117 XP/2 days)

Wondrous Architecture: Engineer's Console (2813.03 gp/251 XP/4 days)
    • MP: 28000 gp
    • 56000: Continuous "Research Aid"
    • 1800: At-Will Command Word "Transference"
    • x0.5: Difficult to move

Wondrous Architecture: Architect's Console (19168.79 gp/1704 XP/24 days)
    • MP: 190800 gp
    • 81000: At-Will Command Word "Fabricate"
    • 10800: At-Will Command Word "Levitate"
    • 118800: At-Will Command Word "Move Earth"
    • 27000: At-Will Command Word "Stone Shape"
    • 144000: At-Will Command Word "Wall Of Stone" CL 16
    • x0.5: Difficult to move

(As Wondrous Architecture, these will fall under the purview of Landlord funds if there's room for it.)

Non-Landlord Subtotal: 6513.05 gp/1752 XP/7 days

Landlord Subtotal: 21981.82 gp/3456 XP/31 days

Spoiler: Stronghold Stuff
    Show
    Spoiler: The College
    Show
    General Modifiers (155%):
    • -5%: Warm Climate
    • +0%: Mountainous Terrain
    • +10%: Within Metropolis
    • +50%: Control over 5 income sources

Components (422000 gp/131ss):
    • My House (38500 gp/14ss)
      • 8000 gp/4ss: Auditorium, Fancy (4)
      • 5000 gp/1ss: Bedroom Suite, Fancy (1)
      • 16000 gp/4ss: Bedrooms, Fancy (4)
      • 3000 gp/1ss: Common Area, Fancy (1)
      • 2000 gp/2ss: Storage, Fancy (2)
      • 2500 gp/1ss: Study/Office, Fancy (1)
      • 2000 gp/1ss: Workplace, Fancy (1)
    • Teacher Houses (57500 gp/20ss)
      • 20000 gp/10ss: Auditorium, Fancy (10)
      • 25000 gp/5ss: Bedroom Suite, Fancy (5)
      • 12500 gp/5ss: Study/Office, Fancy (5)
    • Staff Quarters (92000 gp/23ss)
      • 92000 gp/23ss: Bedrooms, Fancy (23)
    • Cafeteria (96000 gp/12ss)
      • 48000 gp/8ss: Dining Hall, Fancy (4)
      • 48000 gp/4ss: Kitchen, Fancy (4)
      • 1000 gp/1ss: Storage, Fancy (1)
    • Library (34000 gp/12ss)
      • 33000 gp/11ss: Library, Fancy (11)
      • 1000 gp/1ss: Storage, Fancy (1)
    • Dormitories (16000 gp/14ss)
      • 12000 gp/4ss: Common Area, Fancy (4)
      • 4000 gp/10ss: Servant's Quarters (10)
    • Laboratories (88000 gp/36ss)
      • 24000 gp/8ss: Alchemical Laboratory, Fancy (8)
      • 24000 gp/8ss: Magic Laboratory, Fancy (8)
      • 16000 gp/8ss: Smithy, Fancy (8)
      • 24000 gp/12ss: Workplace, Fancy (12)

Walls (786000 gp):
    • 6000/ss: Hewn Stone Walls (100%)

Book Lots (65000 gp):
    • 5000: Comprehensive/Arcana
    • 20000: Master/Architecture & Engineering
    • 5000: Comprehensive/Dungeoneering
    • 5000: Comprehensive/Geography
    • 5000: Comprehensive/History
    • 5000: Comprehensive/Local
    • 5000: Comprehensive/Nature
    • 5000: Comprehensive/Nobility & Royalty
    • 5000: Comprehensive/Religion
    • 5000: Comprehensive/The Planes

Doors/Windows/Locks (90600):
    • 1000/ss: Iron Door (2)
    • 0/ss: Basic Shuttered Window (1)
    • 6000: Amazing Adamantine Lock (4) for My House
    • 2000: Good Mithral Lock (5) for Teacher Houses
    • 1840: Good Lock (23) for Staff Quarters
    • 160: Good Lock (2) for Cafeteria
    • 3000: Amazing Adamantine Lock (2) for Library
    • 1600: Good Lock (20) for Dormitories

Spoiler: Nonmagical Cost Calculations
    Show
    Base
    418000 gp: Fancy Components
    4000 gp: Non-Fancy Components
    786000 gp: Walls
    131000: Doors
    14600: Locks
    65000 gp: Book Lots

Percentage
    97%: Fancy Components
    112%: Non-Fancy Components
    0%: Walls
    125%: Doors
    100%: Locks
    100%: Book Lots

Results
    405460: Fancy Components
    4480: Non-Fancy Components
    0: Walls
    163750: Doors
    14600: Locks
    65000: Book Lots

Non-Magical Subtotal: 653290 gp

Occupants:
    • (8) Alchemist
    • (8) Apprentice
    • (8) Cook
    • (4) Servant
    • (8) Smith
    • (6) Professor
    • (6) Maid
    • (2) Librarian
    • (2) Clerk
    • (8) Guests
    • (60) Student

(all of these are me/cohort/follower, and I've got a bunch of followers elsewhere. Will specify when I do the leadership section.

Spoiler: The Bus
    Show
    General Modifiers (+0%):
    • -5%: Warm Climate
    • -5%: Mobile
    • +10%: Within Metropolis

Components (1ss/10000 gp):
    • 1ss/10000 gp: Auditorium, Luxury

Walls (60000 gp):
    • 60000/ss: Obdurium

Spoiler: Non Magical Cost Calculations
    Show
    Base
    10000: Luxury Components
    60000: Walls

Percentage
    20%: Luxury Components
    70%: Walls

Results
    2000: Luxury Components
    42000: Walls

Non-magical Subtotal: 44000 gp

Wall Augmentations (144500 gp):
    • 7500/ss: Airtight
    • 12000/ss: Ethereal Solid
    • 50000/ss: Magic Warding, Improved
    • 12000/ss: Magically Treated
    • 60000/ss: Prismatic Screen
    • 3000/ss: Transparent

Mobility (436500 gp):
    • 25000/ss: Incredible Locomotion
    • 10000/ss: Burrowing
    • 1000/ss: Crawling
    • 15000/ss: Flying
    • 3000/ss: Sailing
    • 7500/ss: Submersing
    • 125000/ss: Plane Shift 5/day
    • 250000/ss: Teleport Without Error 5/day

Wondrous Architecture: Pillar Of Fortification (683.44 gp/61 XP/1 day):
    • MP: 3000 gp
    • 12000: Continuous "Fortify Metal And Stone"
    • x0.25: Immobile

Wondrous Architecture: Fake Door Of Repositioning (2870 gp/256 XP/4 days)
    • MP: 12600 gp
    • 50400: At-Will Command Word "Dimension Door"
    • x0.25: Immobile

Two-Way Portal (15069.8 gp/1340 XP/19 days)

All of this is magic stuff I can craft. Wall Augmentations and the two Wondrous Architecture need to benefit the bus/passengers, so those won't be triple-restricted. The mobility options will be though; I'm the only bus driver around here. Doing some quick calcs for each one...

Magical Subtotal: 95395.74 gp/8485 XP/127 days

As of right now, I've spent 814667.56 gp on stuff that would fall under Landlord. That feat would give me 800k of free money, and after that would match anything else I put in, so in the end I'm only paying 7333.78 gp. Of course that's just gold, I still have to pay the XP/time. But that's still a great deal for two really awesome strongholds!

My crafting school generates a profit (which is "above and beyond labor costs and other expenses", so my staff is getting their pay) or 28684.5 gp/year, or 2390.37 gp/month, or 551.62 gp/week, or 78.58 gp/day.

Spoiler: Leadership Stuff
    Show
    (1) Cohort lvl 18: Human Psionic Artificer 18...well, theoretically. In practice, ever since I got them, they've been a Transference battery for me to avoid losing XP myself. I'm at 200000 XP and they're at 162000 XP, and if I can get away with it, I won't spend a single point of my own XP on my inventions. We'll see where they end up.

(2) Follower lvl 6:
    • (1) Human Wizard 6. Professor of Arcana at my school.
    • (1) Human Wizard 6. Professor of The Planes at my school.

(2) Follower lvl 5:
    • (1) Human Wizard 5. Professor of Geography at my school.
    • (1) Human Wizard 5. Professor of Nature at my school.

(4) Follower lvl 4:
    • ?

(7) Follower lvl 3:
    • ?

(13) Follower lvl 2:
    • ?

(106/135) Follower lvl 1:
    • (8) Alchemist (Expert 1)
    • (8) Apprentice (Wizard 1)
    • (2) Clerk (Expert 1)
    • (8) Cook (Commoner 1)
    • (2) Librarian (Expert 1)
    • (6) Maid (Commoner 1)
    • (4) Servant (Commoner 1)
    • (8) Smith (Expert 1)
    • (60) Students (Artificer 1, Sorcerer 1, Wizard 1, or similar)

Broad breakdown: Lvl 1/5/6 are school-related, lvl 2/3/4 are industry contacts and alumni I can count on to keep me informed of problems. Still planning out some of those...

Spoiler: Personal Items
    Show
    Arms: Bracers Of True Armor (19766.56 gp/1758 XP/25 days)
    • 64000: AC +8 (armor)
    • 27000: AC +3 (deflection) / MDA
    • 27000: AC +3 (natural) / MDA
    • 33750: AC +3 (insight) / MDA
    • 15000: AC +2 (luck) / MDA
    • 15000: AC +2 (profane) / MDA
    • 15000: AC +2 (sacred) / MDA

Body: Gi Of Ooze's Resilience (17480.97 gp/1554 XP/22 days)
    • 54000: Constitution +6 (enhancement) / MDA
    • 120000: Continuous "Undulant Innards"

Face: Goggles Of Perfect Vision (41563.3 gp/1695 XP/24 days)
    • 4500: Continuous "Ebon Eyes" / MDA
    • 2250: Continuous "Fire Eyes" / MDA
    • 3000: Continuous "Snowsight" / MDA
    • 180000: Continuous "True Seeing"

(expensive component here, but I get it slightly cheaper.)

Feet: Boots Of True Speed (18535.86 gp/1648 XP/23 days)
    • 120000: Continuous "Haste"
    • 64500: Boots Of Temporal Acceleration / MDA

Hands: Gloves Of Accuracy (19791.67 gp/1760 XP/25 days)
    • 54000: Dexterity +6 (enhancement) / MDA
    • 18000: Horizon Goggles / MDA / Wrong Slot
    • 125000: Attack +5 (competence) on ranged touch attacks

(very roughly based on attack calcs made during the Haste spell calculation, and the formula for attack +x is 5000x^2. Left the bonus as competence cuz that way it stacks with less stuff. FWIW if damage +x has the same formula, then that means going from Attack +1/Damage +0 to Attack +2/Damage +1 should cost exactly 20000 gp, which is the exact difference between the two kinds of Gloves Of Archery. Finally, those are specifically competence bonuses with bows, so I'm limiting this to competence bonus with ranged touch attacks, just to make absolutely sure I'm not getting more value than I should.)

Head: Headband Of The Archmage (19741.44 gp/1755 XP/25 days)
    • 36000: Intelligence +6 (enhancement)
    • 22500: Chain Spell feat / MDA
    • 15000: Empower Spell feat / MDA
    • 22500: Energy Admixture (Fire) feat / MDA
    • 30000: Energy Substitution (Fire) feat / MDA
    • 15000: Maximize Spell feat / MDA
    • 15000: Quicken Spell feat / MDA
    • 15000: Searing Spell feat / MDA
    • 22500: Twin Spell feat / MDA
    • 3000: Int checks/skills +2 (competence) / MDA

(Very roughly based on Circlet Of Persuasion. +3 (competence) to all Cha checks/skills for 4500 means it's 500x^2.)

Ring: Ring Of Universal Energy Resistance 20 (19691.21 gp/1751 XP/25 days)
    • 28000: Ring Of Energy Resistance (Acid 20)
    • 42000: Ring Of Energy Resistance (Cold 20) / MDA
    • 42000: Ring Of Energy Resistance (Electricity 20) / MDA
    • 42000: Ring Of Energy Resistance (Fire 20) / MDA
    • 42000: Ring Of Energy Resistance (Sonic 20) / MDA

Ring: Ring Of Invulnerability (20093.07 gp/1787 XP/25 days)
    • 200000: DR 10/-

Ring: Adventuring Ring (19214 gp/1708 XP/24 days)
    • 37500: Ring Of Evasion / MDA
    • 60000: Ring Of Freedom Of Movement / MDA
    • 90000: Ring Of Regeneration
    • 3750: Ring Of Sustenance / MDA

Ring: Ring Of True Flight (19540.51 gp/1735 XP/25 days)
    • 118000: Ring Of Solar Wings
    • 18000: Continuous "Cloud Wings" / MDA
    • 36000: Continuous "Wings Of Air" / MDA
    • 22500: Flyby Attack feat / MDA

(A&EG pg 128 has rules for purchasing feats. You're supposed to use existing items to determine the price if you can, but a quick check didn't really find a Flyby Attack item. If someone finds one that costs more than 15k, lmk and I'll adjust.)

Ring Of Magic Immunity (20093.07 gp/1787 XP/25 days)
    • 200000: SR 32

Shoulders: Cloak Of The Vampire (16677.25 gp/1483 XP/21 days)
    • 54000: Charisma +6 (enhancement) / MDA
    • 112000: Continuous "Death Ward"

Throat: Amulet Of Inviolate Mind (18686.55 gp/1662 XP/24 days)
    • 54000: Wisdom +6 (enhancement) / MDA
    • 12000: Hand Of Glory / MDA
    • 120000: Continuous "Mind Blank"

Torso: Vest Of True Resistance (19339.58 gp/1720 XP/24 days)
    • 37500: Saves +5 (resistance) / MDA
    • 32000: Saves +4 (insight)
    • 48000: Saves +4 (luck) / MDA
    • 48000: Saves +4 (profane) / MDA
    • 27000: Saves +3 (sacred) / MDA

Waist: Belt Of The Sailor Man (17179.57 gp/1528 XP/22 days)
    • 36000: Strength +6 (enhancement)
    • 16500: Belt Of Many Pockets / MDA
    • 12000: Belt Of The Wide Earth / MDA
    • 19500: Monk's Belt / MDA
    • 27000: Continuous "Swim" / MDA
    • 45000: Continuous "Water Breathing" / MDA
    • 15000: Natural Heavyweight feat / MDA

(Belt Of Hidden Pouches from MIC has 30 pockets. Belt Of Many Pockets from Complete Arcane has 64 pockets. Gotta hold all that spinach those alchemical items. There's rules in A&EG pg 128 for putting prices on feats. Technically you're supposed to see if you can figure out what the normal price for the benefit would be, and only use those general rules if you can't find something more fitting. But the only item I know that just improves Carrying Capacity is Belt Of The Wide Earth, which also gives you a 2/day teleport that has to be supplied by your own spell. I can't figure out what fraction of 8000 gp is the teleportation option, and thus can't figure out what the appropriate price is. So I bought that belt, ignored the teleport option since I don't have spell slots, and then bought the feat according to feat rules since that's more expensive anyway. I'll be using those rules more extensively when I get to Rods...)

Slotless (7715.76 gp/34181 XP/97 days)
    • Efficient Quiver (180.84 gp/17 XP/1 day)
    • Manual Of Bodily Health +5 (1255.82 gp/5694 XP/16 days)
    • Manual Of Gainful Exercise +5 (1255.82 gp/5694 XP/16 days)
    • Manual Of Quickness Of Motion +5 (1255.82 gp/5694 XP/16 days)
    • Tome Of Clear Thought +5 (1255.82 gp/5694 XP/16 days)
    • Tome Of Leadership And Influence +5 (1255.82 gp/5694 XP/16 days)
    • Tome Of Understanding +5 (1255.82 gp/5694 XP/16 days)

Spoiler: Rods (212934.34 gp/18941 XP/273 days)
    Show
    Rod Of Cheap Blasting (19590.74 gp/1742 XP/25 days)
    • 15000: Easy Metamagic (Chain Spell) feat
    • 22500: Easy Metamagic (Empower Spell) feat / MDA
    • 22500: Easy Metamagic (Energy Admixture) feat / MDA
    • 22500: Easy Metamagic (Maximize Spell) feat / MDA
    • 22500: Easy Metamagic (Quicken Spell) feat / MDA
    • 22500: Easy Metamagic (Searing Spell) feat / MDA
    • 22500: Easy Metamagic (Twin Spell) feat / MDA
    • 15000: Enlarge Spell feat / MDA
    • 30000: Wand Mastery feat / MDA

Rod Of Spell Admixturing (18445.44 gp/1640 XP/23 days)
    • 183600: Normal Metamagic Rod Of Energy Admixture (Fire)

Rod Of Spell Chaining (18535.86 gp/1648 XP/23 days)
    • 121500: Greater Metamagic Rod Of Chain
    • 63000: Lesser Metamagic Rod Of Chain x3 / MDA

Rod Of Spell Empowering (19691.21 gp/1751 XP/25 days)
    • 73000: Greater Metamagic Rod Of Empower
    • 109500: Greater Metamagic Rod Of Empower / MDA
    • 13500: Lesser Metamagic Rod Of Empower / MDA

Rod Of Spell Enlarging (19791.67 gp/1760 XP/25 days)
    • 24500: Greater Metamagic Rod Of Enlarge
    • 147000: Greater Metamagic Rod Of Enlarge x4 / MDA
    • 16500: Normal Metamagic Rod Of Enlarge / MDA
    • 9000: Lesser Metamagic Rod Of Enlarge x2 / MDA

Rod Of Spell Extending (20093.07 gp/1787 XP/25 days)
    • 24500: Greater Metamagic Rod Of Extend
    • 147000: Greater Metamagic Rod Of Extend x4 / MDA
    • 13500: Lesser Metamagic Rod Of Extend x3 / MDA
    • 15000: Extend Spell feat / MDA

Rod Of Spell Maximizing (18535.86 gp/1648 XP/23 days)
    • 121500: Greater Metamagic Rod Of Maximize
    • 63000: Lesser Metamagic Rod Of Maximize x3 / MDA

Rod Of Spell Quickening (17079.11 gp/1519 XP/22 days)
    • 170000: Greater Metamagic Rod Of Quicken

Rod Of Spell Searing (18309.81 gp/1628 XP/23 days)
    • 121500: Greater Metamagic Rod Of Searing
    • 60750: Lesser Metamagic Rod Of Searing x3 / MDA

Rod Of Spell Twinning (18445.44 gp/1640 XP/23 days)
    • 183600: Normal Metamagic Rod Of Twin

Rod Of Many Wands x9 (24413.13 gp/2178 XP/36 days)

Spoiler: Staves ()
    Show

?

Spoiler: Wands (26372.5 gp/2350 XP/50 days)
    Show

Wand Of CL 7 "Lesser Orb Of Acid" x50 (26372.5 gp/2350 XP/50 days)

Total Cost So Far: 568264.04 gp/94496 XP/96.2 days (post-Dal Quor)
    Last edited by AvatarVecna; 2024-05-05 at 08:40 AM.

My Homebrew