New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Default Re: The Noctuary (D&D 3.5e, Level 20+ Adventure)

Quote Originally Posted by Archmage1 View Post
    Correct. The "common" bonuses don't. These are stat boosts, resistance boosts, deflection, natural armor, and probably a couple of others. But it has to be in the right slot(I believe). This is covered by a thing towards the end of MIC, but I don't remember the exact page.
    This probably won't effect One-Ear, but means Snixithrax has a little extra money.

Also- it doesn't specifically say I *can't* do this, so I made a custom Tiger Claw discipline item that had each tier, with the lower teirs at +50% cost. It was the easiest way to get pounce, although I am aware other, even easier ways probably exist, and there is actually a guide in GitP.

If that isn't okay, I can definitely re-do Snixithrax's items, given they aren't meant to be finalized.

I haven't touched retraining, right now I'm aware I have templates- LE bounty hunter or hopelessly naïve housecat, and more experienced players can tweak them if I'm accepted.
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    Survived Total War: Mandate of Heaven as The Witch-Doctors
    Thrived in Empire! 7 as the Sakura-Jin

2. - Top - End - #332
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by chaincomplex View Post
    The DM and I got into an argument and aren't currently on speaking terms. I'll check back later if he's come up with a ruling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Book Wombat View Post
    I'd assume +2 damage per instance (so each ray) like Archmage1. I can also switch if it is too much of an issue.
    I've settled on an interpretation. Effects land once per casting per round per target. I don't know if anything breaks here but it seems to result in sensible outcomes for Fell Drain, so it should apply to Cold-Blooded too.

Quote Originally Posted by Book Wombat View Post
    The MIC enchantment (p. 43) is a flat +5000 gp cost, so for an unorthodox "weapon" multiplied by 1.5 perhaps +7500 gp?
    OK, +7,500 gp seems fair, given the standard magic item affinity rules.

Quote Originally Posted by Yas392 View Post
    @chaincomplex Extending increase reaches on both sides if we enhance it on one side of the quarterstaff from my reading. Is that how you read it?
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Zarthrax View Post
    Added.
    Last edited by chaincomplex; 2024-05-07 at 10:53 PM.

3. - Top - End - #333
    Firbolg in the Playground

AssassinGuy

@chaincomplex Came across a problem regarding weapon crystals for double weapons. If my quarterstaff has a +5 and +1 side and I inserted a greater crystal that requires a +3 weapon to activate, only the +5 side gain the benefit?

I believe no one bring up traits yet when we have flaws, are they available?
    Last edited by Yas392; Yesterday at 08:12 AM.

4. - Top - End - #334
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

Flaw: Honorable Challenge (-4 to hit vs targets that did not explicitly chellenged me)

If this one if ok, I am having it.

Could I refluff Blessed by Tem-Et-Nu? to fit in with in with Hathor/ Isis,
    Tem-Et-Nu can be a demigod of Hippo's
    Tem-Et-Nu could serve Isis, Hathor and Nephtys as a counter to Sebek and Set,

Would it be ok for my Main Scrub to take this feat?

According to Forgotten Realms Wiki:
    Hippos were favored animals of the deities Hathor and Shajar.

I am "done" with my main, just adding fluff, and need some help (from the Dm, if I get accepted) finishing off buying items.
    Working on Cohort sidekick.
    Last edited by Burning Spear; Yesterday at 09:34 PM.
    GNU Sir Terry Pratchett

5. - Top - End - #335
    Orc in the Playground

I'm pushing the deadline down to May 12 to give myself the weekend to look through all these sheets. I wasn't expecting this much interest.

@chaincomplex Came across a problem regarding weapon crystals for double weapons. If my quarterstaff has a +5 and +1 side and I inserted a greater crystal that requires a +3 weapon to activate, only the +5 side gain the benefit?
    I didn't remember that quaterstaves had different enchantments on each head. Sorry, but I have to revisit my former ruling for extending: it shouldn't apply to both heads, to be consistent with this.

MIC is clear that the quarterstaff only has the one augment crystal slot. By the RAW it applies only to the heads that qualify, so yes, in your example only the +5 benefits.

I believe no one bring up traits yet when we have flaws, are they available?
    Are any traits even of interest to a 20th-level character? I'm leaning towards rejecting traits to simplify character creation.

Quote Originally Posted by Burning Spear View Post
    Flaw: Honorable Challenge (-4 to hit vs targets that did not explicitly chellenged me)
    Go for it.

Could I refluff Blessed by Tem-Et-Nu? to fit in with in with Hathor/ Isis,
    Tem-Et-Nu can be a demigod of Hippo's
    Tem-Et-Nu could serve Isis, Hathor and Nephtys as a counter to Sebek and Set,

Would it be ok for my Main Scrub to take this feat?
    Sure to the refluff... but to be clear, it's vanishingly unlikely for hippos to appear in this adventure. Never say never though, if you want to go to the Waterdhavian Zoo and rebuke all the hippos there, that's your prerogative.

6. - Top - End - #336
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I appreciate the extra time. I should have my sheet up in the next 24 hours.

7. - Top - End - #337
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Normally I wouldn't double post, but I figured my previous post may have been seen and so an edit may be overlooked.

chaincomplex, is it allowed to use the Mind Mage prestige class from Dragon Magazine 313? It advances both psionics and arcane magic, but for the first four levels only one at a time. It also has some psi-spell feats I would like the option of taking, if that is okay, and there are more in issue 349.

Also, is the Mul race from Dragon Magazine 319 okay to use?
    Last edited by paradox26; Today at 02:55 AM.

8. - Top - End - #338
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Updated the single post submission with the background and added a link to a sheet where you can see the gear with it's price breakdown and the breakdown of ability scores. Light green cells indicate prices that do not get multiplied by 1.5.

Flaws and feats are indicated in the character sheet.

The numbers in the stat block assume the typical buffs (with war domain spells cast as swift actions) and essentia alocated to Incarnate Avatar.

I have two feats open at lvl 6 and 15 which will were extend and persist spell but those are boring. Maybe I'll pick double chakra or maybe just use them to pick up a martial maneuver and a stance. Hope it is okay that I leave them open as well as some 50k I need to spend (most likely in improving my speed somehow).

As for Flaws, I went with the theme of Lumis being righteous jackasses and picked Loudmouth and Aligned Devotion (can't heal evil dudes). Domo is old and cantankerous and he believes he is on his last glorious missions and getting too old for this sh..

Some notes on possible cheese:

TBH, besides being age Venerable to take advantage of the Saphire's Hierarch class feature, I avoided cheese (not even lvl 7-9 spells). That being said, the Lumis have some strong immunities and Domo can hit really hard between smites, PA, Greater Mighty Wallop and the Channel Spell ability. I'll also have the intention of Using Use Psionic Device to activate Hustle from the PsiCrown to move around. Other than that it is pretty straightforward. Probably If I get picked, I'll regret not having more cheese, but it is the risk at these high levels.

9. - Top - End - #339

AssassinGuy

Are any traits even of interest to a 20th-level character? I'm leaning towards rejecting traits to simplify character creation.
    I just wanted spell gifted trait.

10. - Top - End - #340
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

I'm pushing the deadline down to May 12 to give myself the weekend to look through all these sheets. I wasn't expecting this much interest..

Go for it.

Sure to the refluff... but to be clear, it's vanishingly unlikely for hippos to appear in this adventure. Never say never though, if you want to go to the Waterdhavian Zoo and rebuke all the hippos there, that's your prerogative.
    That's fine, thanks, I care more about the fluff it adds then if it gets fully used in game,

High Lvl games always gather far more interest then expected in my experience,
    GNU Sir Terry Pratchett

11. - Top - End - #341

AssassinGuy

Based on the notion traits are rejected and answers above, I think my character is done, fluff-wise and mechanic-wise.

EDIT: My character is straight out debuffer/minor battlefield control/attacker which I am satisfied with. Simple and straightforward. Though I used some cheese which is mild, I avoided action economy and higher exploits.
    Last edited by Yas392; Today at 06:25 AM.

12. - Top - End - #342
    Colossus in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

I'm pushing the deadline down to May 12 to give myself the weekend to look through all these sheets. I wasn't expecting this much interest.
    Winnowing down 20+ characters is not a simple task, especially when so many of them are quite good. And, well... that's not something that we can really help with, as we would be biased.
    Spoiler: Current Character List:
    Show

John Smith, Playing in the Dollhouse
    Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    Grok Magmaforge, Iron Crisis
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss
    Ileana, Godlings

13. - Top - End - #343
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

Talking traits:
    Elder wisdom
    You are much older than time itself.
    Benefit: add your wisdom modifier instead of constitution modifier to your health.
    Drawback: you must be 1000 years of age

Not sure if this is player made or not.. but that would fit to a tee!, seeing as I'm undead, lol, no con to speak of, so would legit be of use to any old undead.
    Last edited by Burning Spear; Today at 07:07 AM.
    GNU Sir Terry Pratchett

14. - Top - End - #344

GreenSorcererElf

Talking traits:
    Elder wisdom
    You are much older than time itself.
    Benefit: add your wisdom modifier instead of constitution modifier to your health.
    Drawback: you must be 1000 years of age

Not sure if this is player made or not.. but that would fit to a tee!, seeing as I'm undead, lol, no con to speak of, so would legit be of use to any old undead.
    Alas, that's homebrew from dandwiki. A well known source of OP stuff.

The only comparable option I know of is the Faerie Mysteries Initiate feat, which lets you use intelligence, rather than constitution, for bonus hp. This is widely seen as incredibly OP.
    Last edited by Archmage1; Today at 07:31 AM.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss
    Ileana, Godlings

15. - Top - End - #345
    Titan in the Playground

The only comparable option I know of is the Faerie Mysteries Initiate feat, which lets you use intelligence, rather than constitution, for bonus hp. This is widely seen as incredibly OP.
    Kinda silly build: there's a few undead in 3m5 that get Cha to HP (technically an addition instead if a replacement), and there's a dragon mag swordsman PrC that gets Wis to HP on top of normal Con bonus. You could theoretically get all three mental stats to HP for several levels.

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Cazero's Graduates Of Hope's Peak - Danganronpa Mafia

Quote Originally Posted by Xumtiil View Post
    An Abattoir Vecna, if you will.
    My Homebrew

16. - Top - End - #346
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

(I think the reason it's seen as OP, is for Mages, which are centric on 1 stat already anyway, giving them even more stuff based on a sole stat is indeed cheese.)

Yea, I am not looking for cheese, but I do think my build isn't as optimal as some if not most other app's, hence looking around for some fun traits led me to that,

So if the Dm finds my character lagging in the power department, he could allow it, to compensate.

Quote Originally Posted by AvatarVecna View Post
    Kinda silly build: there's a few undead in 3m5 that get Cha to HP (technically an addition instead if a replacement), and there's a dragon mag swordsman PrC that gets Wis to HP on top of normal Con bonus. You could theoretically get all three mental stats to HP for several levels.
    As undead are very glass cannon imo, I never wanna hit 0 Hp, hence a good buffer would be nice, heh.
    I don't get why not all undead get Cha bonus to hp, O.o

And class-wise I already have a line I wanna follow, don't want to deviate from that tbh. (Mystic Wanderer/ Divine Disciple/ Harper Priest)
    Last edited by Burning Spear; Today at 08:23 AM.
    GNU Sir Terry Pratchett

17. - Top - End - #347
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Yea, I am not looking for cheese, but I do think my build isn't as optimal as some if not most other app's, hence looking around for some fun traits led me to that,

So if the Dm finds my character lagging in the power department, he could allow it, to compensate.
    Considering the recruitment explicitly allows some final options to be left without selection and determined if accepted, I would hope that once submissions get selected we would discuss and review and try to bring our characters into some approximately similar optimization band to prevent any toes from getting figuratively stepped on. Thus, I'm not going to worry about lagging behind or getting ahead until selection.

Though with Incantatrix being explicitly allowed, I think we've got quite a bit of room to realize our concepts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thatwarforged View Post
    You sir are a True Pirate Lord.

18. - Top - End - #348

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by Aegis013 View Post
    Considering the recruitment explicitly allows some final options to be left without selection and determined if accepted, I would hope that once submissions get selected we would discuss and review and try to bring our characters into some approximately similar optimization band to prevent any toes from getting figuratively stepped on. Thus, I'm not going to worry about lagging behind or getting ahead until selection.

Though with Incantatrix being explicitly allowed, I think we've got quite a bit of room to realize our concepts.
    This is my thought as well. And one great thing about 3.5: There is a lot of flexibility in terms of power level.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss
    Ileana, Godlings