New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415161718 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #451
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #1301 - The Discussion Thread

I don't think there's any evidence that the ghost-martyrs were anything but fully-informed and fully-consenting; that there was any undue pressure or trickery. This wasn't a "deal with the devil" process, no unfairness to it.

Now if you want an unfair scenario, imagine if instead of Falling, Miko had died and become a ghost-martyr. And Xykon and Redcloak were defeated. Instead of spending some indefinite period in ghost form with like-minded comrades-in-arms, performing a sacred duty, all of the other ghost-martyrs would have been stuck in close proximity to her.

2. - Top - End - #452
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by bunsen_h View Post
    I don't think there's any evidence that the ghost-martyrs were anything but fully-informed and fully-consenting; that there was any undue pressure or trickery. This wasn't a "deal with the devil" process, no unfairness to it.
    I think the fact that O-Chul and that other paladin decided to shatter the gate rather than leave it to Soon is evidence that they weren't fully informed. It is not conclusive evidence (maybe they calculated that Soon and the ghost martyrs might not win, and that it was too risky because the ghosts wouldn't be able to destroy the gate at a later point if necessary), but it is evidence nonetheless.

Which doesn't mean it was abusive or Evil. The paladins may not have known the exact form of their posthumous service to the Sapphire Guard, but at any rate they probably knew enough to make an informed decision when swearing their oath.
    ungelic is us

3. - Top - End - #453
    Titan in the Playground

It's not unreasonable to expect that it only revived strictly willing paladins who died there. Except y'know, paladins, and paladins who literally got killed while (trying to) defend the Gate less than ten rounds ago at that. Why wouldn't they be willing?
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

4. - Top - End - #454

Quote Originally Posted by hroþila View Post
    I think the fact that O-Chul and that other paladin decided to shatter the gate rather than leave it to Soon is evidence that they weren't fully informed. It is not conclusive evidence (maybe they calculated that Soon and the ghost martyrs might not win, and that it was too risky because the ghosts wouldn't be able to destroy the gate at a later point if necessary), but it is evidence nonetheless.

Which doesn't mean it was abusive or Evil. The paladins may not have known the exact form of their posthumous service to the Sapphire Guard, but at any rate they probably knew enough to make an informed decision when swearing their oath.
    But do we know that O-Chul had joined the group that was making themselves ghost martyrs? That group could've been a subset of the Sapphire Guard, not the whole Guard.

Alternately... we may be debating how many angels can dance on the head of a pin, when the Giant only gave careful thought to the plot requiring the elements of angels and a pin. The brain power of one author, no matter how clever, is unlikely to be able to plan out every possible angle dozens of obsessive readers can imagine. (^_~)
    "Just a Sec Mate" avatar courtesy of Gengy. I'm often somewhere between it, and this gif. (^_~)
    Founding (and so far, only) member of the Greyview Appreciation Society
    "Only certainty in life: When icy jaws of death come, you will not have had enough treats. Nod. Get treat."

5. - Top - End - #455
    Halfling in the Playground

Are you for real? Do you seriously not get the score here? Look at what you’re saying! That a bunch of paladins wouldn’t try to out-paladin everyone else by sacrificing their afterlife to protect Soon’s Gate? That’s the most believable thing I’ve ever heard!

6. - Top - End - #456

Quote Originally Posted by No good @ names View Post
    Are you for real? Do you seriously not get the score here? Look at what you’re saying! That a bunch of paladins wouldn’t try to out-paladin everyone else by sacrificing their afterlife to protect Soon’s Gate? That’s the most believable thing I’ve ever heard!
    *microphone drop*
    "Just a Sec Mate" avatar courtesy of Gengy. I'm often somewhere between it, and this gif. (^_~)
    "Only certainty in life: When icy jaws of death come, you will not have had enough treats. Nod. Get treat."

7. - Top - End - #457
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingPirate

And now we have the most paladiny of all the paladins (intentionally?) excluded from a life or death struggle against a foe who is the virtual opposite of a paladin, and his only means of getting into the fight is an unconscious monster.

My question is, will Lay On Hands work on non-humanoids?

8. - Top - End - #458
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by brian 333 View Post
    My question is, will Lay On Hands work on non-humanoids?
    Why wouldn't it?

9. - Top - End - #459
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Tzardok View Post
    Why wouldn't it?
    In 1st ed. Cure Wounds spells and similar abilities only functioned on humans, humanoids, and demi-humans. You could not heal your horse, for example. In 3.5 the word used is 'creature' so I presume any living creature could be healed. In the moment, I was thinking about the wrong edition.

10. - Top - End - #460

"If this gate, and the four others like it, are destroyed, that will unleash a monstrous being that will literally consume the world, all living beings, and their very souls, and endanger the gods themselves. Are you willing to put your ascent to the afterlife on hold indefinitely, to help protect this gate alongside your comrades in arms?"

EDITED to add:
    In 1st ed. Cure Wounds spells and similar abilities only functioned on humans, humanoids, and demi-humans. You could not heal your horse, for example. In 3.5 the word used is 'creature' so I presume any living creature could be healed. In the moment, I was thinking about the wrong edition.
    My unnumbered-edition Players Handbook uses the word "creature" in all of the Cure Wounds spells. "This healing will not affect creatures without corporeal bodies, nor will it cure wounds of creatures not living or those which can be harmed only by iron, silver, and/or magical weapons."
    Last edited by bunsen_h; 2024-05-04 at 11:44 AM.

11. - Top - End - #461
    Titan in the Playground

Ghost Martyr

A martyr dies for his faith. That's just a regular martyr. There is no reason to add Ghost because we already know that martyrs are dead.

Ghost Martyrs don't sacrifice their lives, they sacrifice their afterlives, which makes them different from regular martyrs. That's why they need a special name.
    It is an adjective indicating kind, like ghost pepper.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vikenlugaid View Post
    Well, I think that is strongly not good. There are laws against abusive contracts. And people who sing a contract with the devil is also making their own choice.
    That has nothing to do with Soon
    Well, I think a ghost martyr is just the ghost of a martyr. All martyrs are dead, but not all dead people are ghosts.
    Ghost martyr ~ adjective modifying a noun
    Ghost of a martyr ~ prepositional phrase.
    Do you understand the difference?
    Quote Originally Posted by Rrmcklin View Post
    To be fair, assuming the worst of Soon seems pretty commonplace here from what I've observed.
    It is one of the more common mistakes made on these forums, and by Girard and Serini both.
    Are you for real? Do you seriously not get the score here? Look at what you’re saying!
    That a bunch of paladins wouldn’t try to out-paladin everyone else by sacrificing their afterlife to protect Soon’s Gate? That’s the most believable thing I’ve ever heard!
    *golf clap*
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

12. - Top - End - #462
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    It is an adjective indicating kind, like ghost pepper.
    I shall now undertake an experiment to discover what happens when one sprinkles holy water on a ghost pepper.

If I can find a cleric endowed with the ability, I shall also find out what happens when one Turns a ghost pepper.

I always assumed the term referred to their ability to haunt you all night. (Or perhaps the next morning, but I think those are zombie peppers...)

13. - Top - End - #463

I shall now undertake an experiment to discover what happens when one sprinkles holy water on a ghost pepper.

If I can find a cleric endowed with the ability, I shall also find out what happens when one Turns a ghost pepper.

I always assumed the term referred to their ability to haunt you all night. (Or perhaps the next morning, but I think those are zombie peppers...)
    According to the always-reliable W'pedia, "The name bhüt jolokia (ভুট জলকীয়া) means 'Bhutanese pepper' in Assamese; the first element bhüt, meaning 'Bhutan', was mistakenly confused for a near-homonym bhut (ভুত) meaning 'ghost'."

14. - Top - End - #464
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Quote Originally Posted by bunsen_h View Post
    According to the always-reliable W'pedia, "The name bhüt jolokia (ভুট জলকীয়া) means 'Bhutanese pepper' in Assamese; the first element bhüt, meaning 'Bhutan', was mistakenly confused for a near-homonym bhut (ভুত) meaning 'ghost'."
    You do realize the puns that are jumping out of that post, right?

I shall take the high road here and not list them.

15. - Top - End - #465
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

I shall take the high road here
    So long as you live somewhere that's legalized it!
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 1

16. - Top - End - #466
    Titan in the Playground

Well that’s probably safer than smoking ghost peppers.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

17. - Top - End - #467

You do realize the puns that are jumping out of that post, right?

I shall take the high road here and not list them.
    I notice that "(ভুত)" reminds me a lot of Belkar.

18. - Top - End - #468

I always assumed the term referred to their ability to haunt you all night.
    My neighbor probably isn't thankful for the involuntary bark of laughter you just gave me, but I am. (^_^)b

19. - Top - End - #469
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    Well that’s probably safer than smoking ghost peppers.
    That's perfectly safe, as long as you do it outside and not in the kitchen where the fumes can build up.

20. - Top - End - #470
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    Ghost martyr ~ adjective modifying a noun
    Ghost of a martyr ~ prepositional phrase.
    Do you understand the difference?
    It seems you don't understand there isn't one. A ghost martyr is a martyr who happens to be a ghost. The ghost of a martyr is the ghost of someone who happens to be a martyr.

21. - Top - End - #471

Quote Originally Posted by WanderingMist View Post
    It seems you don't understand there isn't one. A ghost martyr is a martyr who happens to be a ghost. The ghost of a martyr is the ghost of someone who happens to be a martyr.
    A ghost martyr appears to be someone who becomes a ghost for the purpose of continuing to be a martyr, an intentional act to continue to serve a cause even after death. The ghost of a martyr doesn't necessarily come into being for that kind of purpose.

22. - Top - End - #472

HalflingRogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    And your post here has a number of assumptions other people don't agree with. Like that this is an abusive contract, or that Soon is the devil (??).
    Soon is not the devil, cause Soon didn't offer that "contract" cause my point ss that contract doesn't exist, and the ghost martyrs are just paladins who died for the cause, then enjoyed their deserved nice afterlife, and then were sumoned to defend the gate.

The alternative, to offer a "contract" that means to bind their soul to a gem denying their afterlife, seems strongly not good at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Rrmcklin View Post
    To be fair, assuming the worst of Soon seems pretty commonplace here from what I've observed.
    I am not assuming the worst of Soon, that's why I don't buy the "bind souls to a prison-gem" thing
    I think Soon was probably kind of a jerk, but still lawful good.

And NO, paladins were not informed of that. Hinjo explicitly said that only the ruling family knows.
    Last edited by Vikenlugaid; 2024-05-05 at 11:29 AM.

23. - Top - End - #473

Quote Originally Posted by Gnoman View Post
    That's perfectly safe, as long as you do it outside and not in the kitchen where the fumes can build up.
    True for all sorts of hot gases expelled from the body. The more you keep producing them out of sheer persistence, the more likely it is that you'll have everyone else in the room's eyes watering too. (^_^)º

24. - Top - End - #474
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by arimareiji View Post
    True for all sorts of hot gases expelled from the body. The more you keep producing them out of sheer persistence, the more likely it is that you'll have everyone else in the room's eyes watering too. (^_^)º
    I don't want to know why people hate when you exhale.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 1

25. - Top - End - #475

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    I don't want to know why people hate when you exhale.
    I was thinking more of humans' nether exhalations... (_).(_)=3

26. - Top - End - #476
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by WanderingMist View Post
    Nope. We now have two people who do not understand the distinction. Thank you, bunsen_h.
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2024-05-05 at 03:57 PM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

27. - Top - End - #477
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Informed consent is a Chaotic principle.

Objection: It is Good!
    Refutation: Does the toddler know not to play with magical experiments? Obviously, they must be prevented from doing so for their own good without informing them why or gaining their consent.

Objection: That's stupid, an adult can comprehend while a toddler cannot!
    Refutation: An adult can comprehend, but can an adult be trusted? What about Miko? Or whatshisname from Redcloak's backstory?

Objection: But it's not right to force a character to give up his soul without consent! Even devils have contracts you have to sign!
    Refutation: We know nothing of the process by which a character becomes a Ghost Martyr so whatever we imagine of the process is probably incorrect. As The Giant has said*, instead of assuming something does not fit the facts, why not assume something that does?

An assumption that fits the facts:
    At each step of the way in training, a paladin of the Sapphire Guard takes a series of vows that lead to unlocking the potential to become a Ghost Martyr. Not every paladin has what it takes to achieve this goal. Upon death, the prospective Ghost Martyr meets Soon within the gem. The paladin is told everything, and is asked to take a final oath, or to choose to go on to the afterlife. If the paladin takes the final vow the paladin becomes a Ghost Martyr, and waits in the gem until Soon calls upon the Ghost Martyrs to defend the gate. Only Soon is awake and aware while the Ghost Martyrs sleep until called.

* Summon Banana for the exact quote.

Edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    So long as you live somewhere that's legalized it!
    Smoking peppers has been legal in Louisiana since there have been peppers in Louisiana. Try to take away our peppers and there will be war!

Try them diced into whole kernal corn with sauteed diced onion, and stir on a hot cast iron skillet until the corn starts to slightly brown. Stirring in a tiny bit of diced tomato at the end does not hurt, but not too much.

Try them diced into grits, with or without cheese. Don't use instant grits, dried smoked peppers have the same cook time as regular grits.

Try them stuffed with dirty rice. They need to soak in hot water, use the water to make your rice.

Dr. Jeanfreau sez you gotta smoke ya peppas b'fo ya dry 'em fa da winta, er dey gonna get moldy b'fo da Spring peppas come in. Boudreaux always lissen ta ol' Doc Jeanfreau 'cause is Daddy done dat an 'e lived ta da ripe ol' age a fawty-seven. Da alligata dat ate ol' Pop Boudreaux spit 'im out 'n' sed, "Dom, dat Cajun food is some hot, I tol' ya."
    Last edited by brian 333; 2024-05-06 at 12:00 AM.

28. - Top - End - #478

HalflingRogueGuy

Informed consent is a Chaotic principle.

Objection: It is Good!
    Refutation: Does the toddler know not to play with magical experiments? Obviously, they must be prevented from doing so for their own good without informing them why or gaining their consent.

Objection: That's stupid, an adult can comprehend while a toddler cannot!
    Refutation: An adult can comprehend, but can an adult be trusted? What about Miko? Or whatshisname from Redcloak's backstory?

Objection: But it's not right to force a character to give up his soul without consent! Even devils have contracts you have to sign!
    Refutation: We know nothing of the process by which a character becomes a Ghost Martyr so whatever we imagine of the process is probably incorrect. As The Giant has said*, instead of assuming something does not fit the facts, why not assume something that does?

An assumption that fits the facts:
    At each step of the way in training, a paladin of the Sapphire Guard takes a series of vows that lead to unlocking the potential to become a Ghost Martyr. Not every paladin has what it takes to achieve this goal. Upon death, the prospective Ghost Martyr meets Soon within the gem. The paladin is told everything, and is asked to take a final oath, or to choose to go on to the afterlife. If the paladin takes the final vow the paladin becomes a Ghost Martyr, and waits in the gem until Soon calls upon the Ghost Martyrs to defend the gate. Only Soon is awake and aware while the Ghost Martyrs sleep until called.

* Summon Banana for the exact quote.
    That doesn't fit the facts for the recently murdered paladins in that throne room.

29. - Top - End - #479
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingPirate

That doesn't fit the facts for the recently murdered paladins in that throne room.
    Sure, it does. Soon called them, they came. There was no time for the formalities, and there were none who appeared unwilling to finish the fight.

But even if you reject the premise I set forth, the assumption that the Ghost Martyrs are tricked into or forced into serving has to be wrong because that would be Chaotic, Evil, or both.

The assumption should be that the process, whatever it is, does not violate the code of the paladins.

30. - Top - End - #480
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, I think that is strongly not good. There are laws against abusive contracts. And people who sing a contract with the devil is also making their own choice.
    There are laws in modern day against all sorts of things that exist in the Stickverse. I'm relatively certain that the mark of justice falls well within the definition of "cruel and unusual punishment", for example.

On could also argue that there are (numerous) elements of the standard paladin oaths that would not stand under modern legal rulings either, so I'm just not sure how relevant this is.

Sure, it does. Soon called them, they came. There was no time for the formalities, and there were none who appeared unwilling to finish the fight.

But even if you reject the premise I set forth, the assumption that the Ghost Martyrs are tricked into or forced into serving has to be wrong because that would be Chaotic, Evil, or both.

The assumption should be that the process, whatever it is, does not violate the code of the paladins.
    That would be a reasonable assumption. Why assume an explanation that requires this to be "evil" and thus a violation of their lawful good alignment, instead of assuming one which does fit under said alignment?

It is well within the concept of a lawful good order of paladins to include oaths binding them to a duty, even after death. If the thing they are doing is just that important, and "good" (and the oath itself is "lawful"), I see no issue with it at all.

I'll also point out that we don't know exactly how the ghost martyr thing works, nor what those spirits are doing while waiting to defend the gem. We've speculated various ways this might work, but none of us can definitively say for sure.