New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Halfling in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Default Re: Class Power Source

I think that Ardent and Battlemind are both supposed to be fantasy Jedi, but the in-universe distinction between the two is kind of fuzzy to me, and I'll concede not really being able to come up with much else that either class really models.

This feels like one of those cases where maybe they should have been one class with a subclass that then determines their role, or maybe having a common set of powers shared between multiple classes with the same power source. This is sort of the flip side of a few classes where it feels like they fill different archetypes in different roles. Examples include sword-and-board (defender) vs greatweapon (striker) warriors, evoker/battlemage (striker) vs enchanter/illusionist (controller) vs abjurer (leader) wizards, bear (defender) vs cat (striker) vs caster (leader or controller) druids. A conjurer could conceivably fill any of the roles depending on which kind of creature is summoned but would probably fit most cleanly as either a striker or defender based on the kind of creature summoned (subclass) with a leader secondary from the caster themself.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jaeda View Post
    I think that Ardent and Battlemind are both supposed to be fantasy Jedi,
    Sure, but so is the Swordmage.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

I think that Ardent and Battlemind are both supposed to be fantasy Jedi, but the in-universe distinction between the two is kind of fuzzy to me, and I'll concede not really being able to come up with much else that either class really models.
    As I recall, Battlemind is one who manifests psionic powers through their body, like the Psychometabolism discipline of editions past.
    Ardents, and this I do remember, manifest their psionic ability through emotion, not thought or will.

This feels like one of those cases where maybe they should have been one class with a subclass that then determines their role, or maybe having a common set of powers shared between multiple classes with the same power source. This is sort of the flip side of a few classes where it feels like they fill different archetypes in different roles. Examples include sword-and-board (defender) vs greatweapon (striker) warriors, evoker/battlemage (striker) vs enchanter/illusionist (controller) vs abjurer (leader) wizards, bear (defender) vs cat (striker) vs caster (leader or controller) druids. A conjurer could conceivably fill any of the roles depending on which kind of creature is summoned but would probably fit most cleanly as either a striker or defender based on the kind of creature summoned (subclass) with a leader secondary from the caster themself.
    Some of your examples, yes. A greatweapon Fighter as a Striker is why Essentials gave us the Slayer, which is one of only 2 Strikers that wear Heavy Armor (Blackguard being the other). Most Heavy Armor wearing individuals are Defenders, Leaders, or Controllers.
    Disagree on all your Wizard examples. A Controller has 2 functions: 1) Battlefield Control (through terrain modification and inflicting status effects) ans 2) AoE damage. So your Evoker and Abjurer are still controllers, especially because Leaders buff allies and heal them, which Abjurers do not do.
    Your druid examples, especially separating bear and cat, seem too much inspired by WoW. But I could see an argument for Leader for the druid, and MAYBE Striker, for the focus on Wild Shape.
    Red Mage avatar by Aedilred.

Where do you fit in? (link fixed)

RedMage Prestige Class!

Best advice I've ever heard one DM give another:
    "Remember that it is both a game and a story. If the two conflict, err on the side of cool, your players will thank you for it."

Second Eternal Foe of the Draconic Lord, battling him across the multiverse in whatever shapes and forms he may take.