New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: The End of an Era Part 1

----------Still on the way-----------

That doesn't sound that bad, really. They do an honorable and important job, though they may feel slighted that they're assigned task is heavy. And wasn't they're a saying about killing too many demons?

---------Port city--------

When the smoke comes into view Onka ushered an: Oh no. And then spurred his horse to get to the port faster, hoping beyond all hope that they're were still people to be saved.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Ride check: (1d20+5)[10]
    Perception: (1d20+9)[29]
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridai View Post
    No no no, not speaking while fighting. Speaking with the fighting!

That rabite monk dive-blobbing you in the face, followed by hooking teeth into your belt and suplexing you is a woefully poorly understood way of remarking on how nice the weather is.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Firbolg in the Playground

Leylek frowns in clear, undiluted disgust at the sight. Have these humans no honour at all? And more troublingly yet, they are very efficient at covering their tracks. No witnesses to talk. No ships to board and give chase. I fear we might be too late, Shimura-sama. he voices his concerns, already trying to think a step, a mile, a hundred ahead. Whatever it may take to go on. Were this what it looks like, the trail itself might be gone. We might want to tread with care. I suspect… he winces as Onka rushes forward, blindly into what remains of Kare. …another trap.

Show

Perception: (1d20+9)[21]

Knowledge (geography): (1d20+4)[22] to try and figure out where the Crabs might be headed, in case the crew cannot find a good enough clue.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Titan in the Playground

Shimura frowns as they see the smoke plumes coming from the port city, a part of him urged to cantor off and help these people, but he controlled himself, his was the mission of keeping these people sage, thinking of his companions. His thought was interrupted by the Leylek's words and Onka rushing off....

"As you say Master Leylek, it is most likely one, but what other option do we have?" he asks bluntly, before setting off to keep up with Onka.

Spoiler
    Show

Miromoto Shimura
    M LG Human (dragon) Samurai\ Mirumoto Niten Master 1Level 5, Init 3, HP 61/61, Speed 30
    AC 18 Touch 14 Flat-footed 15
    Fort +8 Ref +5 Will +5
    Stats Str 18, Dex 16, Con 16, Int 12, Wis 11, Cha 15
    Condition's
    Special Law devotion [1/1], Belt of Healing [3/3], Anklets of Translocation [3/3], +1 bonus on saving throws against paralysis and sleep effects
    speech: 008080

Soulmeld Benefit Essentia benefit Invested Bound
    Mirumoto Niten dragonmark - +25%/e 0/2 Arms
    Mantle of Flame 1d6 fire +1d6/e 0/2 -
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

“Take but degree away, untune that string, And, hark, what discord follows!” -Shakespeare
    “Gnyðja mundu nú grísir, ef þeir vissi, hvat inn gamli þyldi” -Ragnar Lodbrok

"I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me." -Archilochus

Discord -Now with a recruitment bot!

4. - Top - End - #214
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Gods, this destruction -- it makes no sense! A shocked Ahalyā urged Raksha to follow after Shimura (who was now hurrying after Onka). Would not it have been better for their quarry to use speed and stealth to escape them? Just what were in those scrolls to justify such slaughter?! O ancestors and spirits, may this not all be in vain!

5. - Top - End - #215
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

As you approach the village there's an eerie silence. You come in from the south on the road across the farmland. You see the first charred buildings still smoking and the signs of battle or slaughter as some cattle lays dead on the field.

A confused hen moves around the farmland aimlessly. But you see no humans.

It is only when you turn right at the edge of the road, that you noticed you are being observed from the shadows inside buildings 1 and 4.

6. - Top - End - #216

As the group finally cathches up with the dancer and the mysterious observers show themselves, Leylek sternly motions to Onka to stop foolishly advancing. Instead he steps forward himself, his scowl deepening, as much in a warning for who might be their foes as in displeasure upon taking a closer look at the work of bestial savagery their quarry left behind once more. Do you stand with the Crab? the burd's voice rings out: a question and a challenge.

7. - Top - End - #217
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

...no spirits... Ahalyā scanned the area as best as she could, then noted Raksha seemed tense as Leylek barked out his challenge/question.

"...someone is scared, mistress -- whoever it is, I can smell it..." The wolf muttered, casting her own glance towards all the destruction around them as to an obvious cause as to why. Raksha added dryly "...and I'm sure the bird's squawking is not helping to alleviate that..."

"Ho, is anyone hurt?" The shaman's tone sounded much more compassionate in comparison to Leylek.

8. - Top - End - #218
    Titan in the Playground

Shimura dismounted from his horse, leading the stalwart pony with one hand while the other rested on his sword handle, he searched as they walked, hoping to find a clue as to what had happened.

"Come forth and show yourselves!" he demands "do not dishonor your ancestors so by shirking to the shadows for protection!"

Spoiler
    Show

Miromoto Shimura
    M LG Human (dragon) Samurai\ Mirumoto Niten Master 1Level 5, Init 3, HP 61/61, Speed 30
    Fort +8 Ref +5 Will +5
    Condition's
    Special Law devotion [1/1], Belt of Healing [3/3], Anklets of Translocation [3/3], +1 bonus on saving throws against paralysis and sleep effects

Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

“Take but degree away, untune that string, And, hark, what discord follows!” -Shakespeare

"I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me." -Archilochus

9. - Top - End - #219
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Onka was shocked by the sight of the destruction and it took a bit till he calmed himself. He dismounted and stroke his horse more to calm himself than it.

He added his voice to the others.

We won't harm you. Please we just want to know what happened.

Show
    Diplomacy?: [ROLL]1d20+4

That rabite monk dive-blobbing you in the face, followed by hooking teeth into your belt and suplexing you is a woefully poorly understood way of remarking on how nice the weather is.

10. - Top - End - #220
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

The sight of a besieged town greeted you. People like shadows, running to their sheltered houses and their darkened corners to spy on you from behind closed doors, afraid.

You walked through the ominous charred land and approach the first line of houses. Where Shimura, Onka and Ahalya raise their voices: a voice of threats, a voice of deceit, a voice of concern.

To Shimura's, only silence and suspicion.

To Onka's, mistrusts.

To Ahalya's... a brief silence... a pause.

Then hurried steps an a lonely woman coming out of the first building.

"We are tired and affraid, they came by as a summer storm and washed away the village. But it is getting dark. and they promised the night will bring woes and pain. Best if you get under cover."
    Last edited by Auranghzeb; 2023-10-03 at 05:45 PM.

11. - Top - End - #221
    Titan in the Playground

Shimura frowns at the disconcerting silence to their demands until the lady approaches them, "Is there no place to fortify yourselves?" he asks, much less stern than before, "Who did this? were they spirits, or men?"

Spoiler
    Show

Miromoto Shimura
    Fort +8 Ref +5 Will +5
    Condition's

Last edited by BelGareth; 2023-10-03 at 05:58 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

12. - Top - End - #222
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

The woman, in her late sixties, walks toward you. The shadows shuffle inside the house she left, they call her:

Grandma! leave them alone, come back inside!

The woman waves off their demand and takes a couple more steps. Her hair is in disarray and there is a dignified sadness in her eyes.

They were no men. For no men would do what they did. They burn our food and our livelihood, what are we to do without a pier an our fishing boats? They brought us Hunger.

A sturdy man exits the house and calls the woman.

Grandma! Come back here, these are the strangers they warn us about. They'll kill us all!

The woman ignores him. She pierces you with an angry glare.

We are dead already. I better take my chances. Follow me, I'll show you where they are.

13. - Top - End - #223
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Onka bows towards the old woman.

Thank you revered elder, we have not much that we can give, but I hope it'll allow the pangs of hunger to pain a little less. Onka puts 3 of his packed up rations on the ground for the family to get later and with a heavy heart he also leaves a pot of honey from home there too.

Lead the way.

14. - Top - End - #224
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

"Master Shimura, Master Leylek -- dusk is soon coming. The darkness may be a powerful ally to this evil. We will need light if we choose to face it so soon..." As she gave her warning, Ahalyā was tactful enough to not bring up the fact that she had little trouble in seeing in low light conditions.

But lanterns -- even torches -- might provide some relief in thwarting their enemies' advantage.

15. - Top - End - #225

Leylek glares at a point in the gloom somewhere to the shaman's left for a moment, then slowly nods. It is true. Shadow's the shield of the spineless. and he should have remembered how it hinders their own. He's getting erratic. Too eager. You fight like I do, he turns to Onka with a slight bow, almost like another nod, as he reaches into his pack to remove a weathered lantern, sturdier than the ones made on the islands, of the blackened, old, bog iron of the plains. but I need my arms to fly. the bird's taloned hand extends, holding out the lamp for the dancer if he'll take it.

Show

Hooded lantern; 4 flasks of oil are still available.

16. - Top - End - #226
    Titan in the Playground

Shimura frowns as the peasants around them come out of the cherry blossoms to admonish their elder who had the courage to come out, he bowed slightly to her with a curt head nod "thank you Obaasan, if only everyone had your courage, we are here to help and would rally against this evil that caused this destruction, if only you would assist?" he says the last like a question, not a demand, but a plea for help, which is strange coming from a Samurai to Hyakusho. "We are in need of lanterns to fight this evil, can you find what you have and follow us?"

Spoiler
    Show

Diplomacy - (1d20+11)[18] +2 if aid another from Onka

Miromoto Shimura
    Fort +8 Ref +5 Will +5
    Condition's

Last edited by BelGareth; 2023-10-06 at 10:19 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

17. - Top - End - #227
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

"Indeed, if this enemy is not defeated now, this destruction will spread throughout the land and others will suffer this same fate..." The shaman said softly. "Courage, bravery -- they are not the absence of fear. They are acknowledging such fears and standing up for what is right and honorable regardless. This is why we are here."

And she too bowed her head.

(1d20+11)[30] Diplomacy (Aid Another unless by some miracle it's 23 or better...)

18. - Top - End - #228
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

The woman stares at Shimura, not often a Samurai addressed a plain woman with such respect. The soft spoken words and the striking authority of the Samurai himself seem to have an effect over the other people too. They stop short of helping right away, but at least they seem to be listening. Two men in their late forties and a little girl come out of the building to the East (number 4 in the map). They carry improvised peasant weapons: a Kama and a Scythe.

The village is East of the massive mountains you have just crossed, as soon as the sun touches its peak, darkness will come like a summer storm rolling.

The woman speaks as dusk rears its head.

Bring these men some light. It's not as if we are waiting for anything else but death.

The men with the little girl and the woman's grandchildren nod, unconvinced but resigned to their luck. However, they don't move.

The woman sneers at them. Until they hesitantly move towards their houses, looking over their shoulders.

The woman sems firm, But looking at you her voice breaks.

Forgive them Samurai San, if you had seen what we saw last night, you won't be as brave, Wathever ill fortune touched the village, its seed is on the other side of the groove (map 6). They took over those two houses.(map 12 and 7).

The men are back outside, one of them approaches with a brass brazier with some embers on it.

Here... help yourselves... I need to secure my house... may the kami protect you.

The old woman is the only one seeming willing to go with you... but so adamant is she that her grandson steps forward... grabbing a pitchfork from the threshold.

I'll show them grandma, get back inside.

19. - Top - End - #229
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

"Give me a moment to prepare us for conflict then..." Ahalyā looked up from lighting Leylek's lantern with her own flint & steel. She clasped her hands, softly beseeching the spirits for aid (and making sure to include the brave farmer who chose to join them for his grandmother's sake).

Then she touched Shimura, giving him the blessing of extra strength.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show

Casting Mass Aid (six minutes): +1 morale bonus on attack rolls and saves against fear effects, plus temporary hit points equal (1d8+6)[7]
    Casting Bull's Strength on Shimura (six minutes): +4 enhancement bonus to Strength

20. - Top - End - #230
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

The dancer took Leylek's lantern, lightened by Ahalya. There was honor in the words of the crane-warrior, which was kinda nice but it also carried a kind of burden with it which was weird for the dancer. Not bad, but different than what he was used too. Onka adresses both the woman and her grandson.

You both have done enough, it would be better if you survive to rebuild what has been lost.

The dancer wouldn't stand his ground on his words, if the two would really want to fight with them he would let them, but giving them a possible way out seemed important.

21. - Top - End - #231

Good man. Leylek tells the villager with a grave nod, also sparing a momentt to add a quick, shallow bow thanking the Vanara as he feels life well up in him. But Onka is right. That crude thing he motions at the pitchfork won't serve you well against the sort of foe we chase. Show us the way; but keep your distance.

22. - Top - End - #232
    Titan in the Playground

Shimura nods at Leyleks words, wise as usual, he draws both blades in a smooth singular motion which seems to initiate an aura around him, white almost see through flames erupted around him, licking his clothes, and the ground, it pulsed with power, as if the phantom flames wanted to realize themselves. He turned to everyone "Let us head into the darkness, and hope our meager light will guide our path" he intoned solemnly, for who knew what fiendish Oni they would have to face.

Spoiler
    Show

draw both blades, activate Mirumoto Niten dragonmark, investing 1 essentia into both soulmelds

Miromoto Shimura
    M LG Human (dragon) Samurai\ Mirumoto Niten Master 1Level 5, Init 3, HP 68/61, Speed 30
    AC 21 Touch 14 Flat-footed 18
    Fort +8 Ref +5 Will +5
    Condition's DR 1/-, Mantle of flame 2d6 fire on hit, Aid (+1 morale bonus on attack rolls and saves against fear effects), Bull's Strength (+4 enh to STR)

Mirumoto Niten dragonmark - +25%/e 1/2 Arms
    Mantle of Flame 1d6 fire +1d6/e 1/2 -
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

23. - Top - End - #233
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

The man nodded when he heard Onka and Leylek suggesting they were not needed and started to turn around, only to meet his grandmother's stern gaze.

Magomusuko, do not move an inch. She said, gravely. These people will defend our village, do not be a coward like those behind us.

The man made a small reverence and gripped his improvised weapon tightly.

As Shimura suggested, you ventured through darkness in the dimming light of the second day. Walking towards the indicated buildings behind the groove and the shrine. Leaving the sacred groove to your right, you came into a clearing. dividing two large buildings. Much better built than those you had seen, they must have been some merchant or local noble residencies until yesterday, now, the banners of the Crab Clan waved high on top of them.

Two men sat cross-legged at the bottom of the nearest house. about 40' from you, they wore the kimonos of low nobility and had naginatas in front of them. A third figure, a fully armored Crab Samurai stood on the house threshold, barely visible in the dimming light.

The woman talked to the men.

Sabuko San, Kozuro San. These people are here to help us.

The men did not answer, they simply opened their eyes, blank expressionless eyes and started to rise, picking their naginatas. The figure in the threshold started to move inside the building.

Across the clearing, some 80' away. Another fully armored samurai watched the scene from the threshold of the other house.

Spoiler: Image
    Show
    Last edited by Auranghzeb; 2023-10-11 at 05:13 PM.

24. - Top - End - #234
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Onka helding up the lantern had been following the group, when the old woman spoke and the vacant eye nobles grasped they're weapons he took a decisive step forward, shielding the woman and her grandson partially with his body.

We have seen what you have wrought upon this land. Whatever moved you to do that, I give you one chance to step away from it, now. We have bested all what you brought up and we'll get you down, if necessary.

Every fiber of his body was tense, ready to spring into action by an agressive move from either side.

25. - Top - End - #235

Leylek, for his part, is too busy to speak. He doesn't believe there is anything to talk about either. He stands perfectly still, waiting, counting the heartbeats. Counting the paces. How much between one house and the other? How long to reach the nobles? How long to reach the samurai? Scanning the dusk. There seem to be too few Crabs. Or they are confident, terribly confident. He must know which, before the tidal surge of rage grows so strong in him, that there will be nothing but the battle.

But worried, he is not. The bird has seen the others fight. And Shimura-sama is alight with a strange fire. He knows it is as much within as it is without. The samurai told Onka on the way: he was expecting this all the way. Waiting for it. It reminds him of the words of the sage, from the realms further west, well beyond the steppes, of much sand and stone and no grass. And thereafter, all the darkness shall give you way. That time was near.

Show

Sense Motive: (1d20+6)[22]; L. is more interested in the samurai thatn the nobles; and
    Perception: (1d20+9)[24]

26. - Top - End - #236
    Titan in the Playground

Shimura was surprised by what they found, he was ready for...combat, for death, disemboweling, and the cloying sense of copper in the air....this....was something else entirely, and it threatened to remove the flame from his ready spirit.

He looked to the blank faced men and dipped his head slightly, even though he did not want to, "Konnbanwa Sabuko San, Kozuro San, I am Shimura of the Dragon clan, we are here searching for some Oni who may be dressed." he points to the samurai inside "Like honorable Crab Samurai." he says simply, letting the statement hang in the air.

Spoiler
    Show

Miromoto Shimura
    M LG Human (dragon) Samurai\ Mirumoto Niten Master 1Level 5, Init 3, HP 68/61, Speed 30
    AC 21 Touch 14 Flat-footed 18
    Fort +8 Ref +5 Will +5
    Condition's DR 1/-, Mantle of flame 2d6 fire on hit, Aid (+1 morale bonus on attack rolls and saves against fear effects), Bull's Strength (+4 enh to STR)

Mirumoto Niten dragonmark - +25%/e 1/2 Arms
    Mantle of Flame 1d6 fire +1d6/e 1/2 -
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

27. - Top - End - #237
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

No spirits here -- yet. Ahalyā's simian eyes darted around the area as Raksha stood protectively by her side. "What is your purpose here?" She had grim theories, of course, but if these men(?) gave any sort of answer, it might reveal other truths.

(1d20+7)[21] Perception (Ahalyā)
    (1d20+1)[19] Perception (Raksha) +4 if Scent is in play

28. - Top - End - #238
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

The woman and her grandson freeze in place as Onka valiantly interposes his body between them and any harm and raises a threat, a warning to the samurai and the men ahead.

Right then, Shimura moves forward, weapons at the ready on a non-threatening but deadly posture he appeals to the men, trying to reason with them.

Ahalya's short question is addressed at the samurai in the shadows of the houses, whose intentions she tries to pierce, sniffing the air for spirits and evil Oni.

Only Leylek remains silent, his warrior training alert, hearing the air for ambushes and scrutinizing the expression of both men and the body language of the semi hidden samurai. It is obvious to him that these men are not really inside their own head, they move like puppets. But he learns nothing from the mask-covered samurai, he can't read anything, and that alone is suspicious.

However, there's no time for much, after a couple of seconds where your voices linger, the two men start walking towards you, and their movement is startling, their limbs twist in strange angles, and their feet, while quick, drag the dirt clumsily. You can see the nearest samurai extend a gloved hand as a puppeteer toying with the thread of its wooden figures.

The woman gasps in terror.

What do you do?

29. - Top - End - #239
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Instinct screamed at Ahalyā to do something. To rush towards the unfortunate puppets or one of the samurai in order to dispel such accursed witchery. But a warning growl from Raksha pushed such reckless thoughts from the shaman's mind. What she needed was information.

And at that, Ahalyā murmured the blessing to Detect Magic...

Spoiler: Action
    Show

Casting Detect Magic, looking at the samurai doing puppetry first, then the puppets.
    (1d20+10)[20] Spellcraft attempt to determine what's going on and how strong it is.

30. - Top - End - #240
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Onka was surprised, the nobles were moving in a weird manner like they were dead and they didn't seem to react at all. And the samurai, who may not actually be one, made some very concerning hand motions. And he couldn't really reach him.

With a few decisive steps Onka intiated the dance of the brave ones. He wasn't sure if the dance that normally gave timid ones courage to make proposals, could really aid the nobles in breaking free but it also couldn't hurt. He ran ahead and in a pattern, that graced the reach of one the nobles Naginatas (that Onka try'd to jump over gracefully) he directly ran towards the samurai ready to use any opportunity that he was given.

Show
    Initiative: (1d20+5)[20]
    Swift action: Dance of Reckless Bravery. Give everyone +4 against Fear saves. Really to help the nobles out of they're fear that they may get repercussions when defying the Samurai (which means he includes them both as allies) but probably won't work.
    Two move actions to get in the face of the samurai (taking the light source with him) Probably need to make a
    Tumble check: (1d20+13)[20] Against 15
    to don't provoke a Naginate AoO (if they have reach)
    Should the Samurai get away or try to cast a spell Onka get's an
    AoO: (1d20+12)[21]
    Damage: (1d8+5)[11]
    Otherwise his AC is 21 because he didn't charge. (The nobles were in the way.)