New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 45 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2035363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,350 of 1476
  1. - Top - End - #1321
    Firbolg in the Playground

Griffon

Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop Thread XLIII: "This Is A New LoW For Us All"

It's that time of year again - time to vote for your favourite model that was released in 2023.

I have to be honest, I just asked myself this question and the answer was... hell if I know? Although the technology has vastly improved, and new games are being explored for the first time in a long time to widen the field, almost nothing has actually stuck with me for more than a couple of weeks before being forgotten. I was honestly looking to vote for the Ash Waste Nomads on the Helamite walkers, until that turned out to be early 2022 and are ineligible.

I guess I would say Lion El'Johnson? Not because it's the most spectacular model in the company, but purely because he's part of My Dudes and I could find a reason to buy and use him. I'm honestly looking forward to the more 'grounded' looking Warhammer Fantasy models next year than I am any of the weird and wonderful AoS stuff that has come out. Blood Bowl is a sad joke to include on the form.

Angron will probably win overall, I think, but... I dunno, maybe I'm getting old but a lot of stuff seemed to come and go and not really make any impact this year?
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

2. - Top - End - #1322
    Titan in the Playground

I picked the Skaven underworlds team. Those are the best models Pestilens has ever had.
    I used to do LP's. Currently archived here:

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:
    The Great Divide Dark Heresy - Finished
    They All Uprose Dark Heresy - Finished
    Dead in the Water Dark Heresy - Finished
    House of Glass Dark Heresy - Deceased

We All Fall Down Dark Heresy - Finished

Sea of Stars Rogue Trader - Ongoing

3. - Top - End - #1323
    Titan in the Playground

I chose the new Slann, but my real first choice - the Mind-locked Wyrd for Necromunda - wasn't available.

4. - Top - End - #1324

Griffon

Underworlds have consistently excellent minis, I don't think there's a miss among them... But I've not found one good enough to get me invested in the game. And I *like* the game, I just... didn't feel like making capacity to pick up another system.

The Mind-Locked Wyrd is a strong choice, but the problem is I think that the cute little robots are way, way more popular than the actual Wyrd himself. That same criteria ruled out the crab in the Idoleth set, and Akhorne the squirrel the year before."Cute" minis are "joke" minis, they'd clearly sweep the board if they were allowed.

In the end, I voted for the Van Saar Arachno-Rig. It's just cool, and it's My Dudes, and it's a game that I'm into, AND it has a lot of potential for conversions which ticks a lot of boxes for me.
    Last edited by Wraith; 2023-12-06 at 03:36 PM.

5. - Top - End - #1325
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    I have to be honest, I just asked myself this question and the answer was... hell if I know?
    I went to the voting form which gave me a list of models released this year.
    No pictures.
    I don't remember what anything looks like.
    I guess there's the Lieutenant from the Leviathan box? That looks neat?

I vaguely recall there was some Norns?

...I didn't vote.

Next time include pictures of the models.
    Spoiler: My Mum Says I'm Cool
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

6. - Top - End - #1326

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    Next time include pictures of the models.
    I realise now why I thought Angron would win; because the Warhammer Community article in which I found the link, has a half-dozen pictures leading down to it. One of them was a 360-degree demo of Angron, and a few other screenshots of the Slann, and the other really big projects.

I'm not saying it's rigged, but it's a very bad look to host pictures of 6 of your biggest and most expensive models, ask which is the best of the year, and then only show the rest in near-random order on a blank text document. I won't lie, I didn't even read most of the options available, I just looked for ones that I thought I recognised and assumed that was because I liked them.

7. - Top - End - #1327
    Halfling in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Underworlds have consistently excellent minis, I don't think there's a miss among them... But I've not found one good enough to get me invested in the game.
    Agreed, but I've picked up a few for conversions.

For the actual vote, I chose the Gondor Tower terrain as a protest vote for the lack of MESBG stuff this year. My serious vote would either go to the Harbinger of Decay (Nurgle AoS guy on a horse) or the Freeguild Command Corps. I don't play AoS but they have some gorgeous models. The new nids have been quite nice, but no one model sticks out in my mind like these.

I suspect a primarch will win, as usual.

8. - Top - End - #1328
    Titan in the Playground

For the actual vote, I chose the Gondor Tower terrain as a protest vote for the lack of MESBG stuff this year.
    Some friends of mine set up a voting bloc to vote for the Legiones Imperialis board tiles.

Last edited by LeSwordfish; 2023-12-11 at 10:52 AM.

9. - Top - End - #1329
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    Some friends of mine set up a voting bloc to vote for the Legiones Imperialis board tiles.

Well, they've got MY vote now too
    Girlfriend and Parents: Why do you spend so much money on that stuff?
    Me: Would you rather I spent all my money on alcohol like others in my peer group?
    G&P: You keep spending as much money as you want!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bossing Around Mad Cats for Fun and Profit: Let's Play MechCommander 2!

Kicking this LP into overdrive: Let's Play StarCraft 2!

10. - Top - End - #1330

Griffon

If GW ever bring back the Nercomunda plastic bulkheads and just sell them with a pack of blank plasticard, they'll make an immediate fortune. And also put their entire scenery designing/modelling team out of business... But them's the breaks, and I'd vote for them.

11. - Top - End - #1331
    Troll in the Playground

You know, I wasn't going to vote. I don't follow GW closely enough these days to have a strong opinion, and I haven't bought a single new model from them this year (one box of Morgasts is my total GW miniature spending of the year), but this seems like a worthy cause and I will lend it my vote.

Because seriously, just giving people a poorly ordered list of like 200 items and asking them to vote? That's nonsense.
    Avatar by the wonderful SubLimePie. Former avatar by Andraste.

12. - Top - End - #1332
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah I threw down a vote for them as well, I will be very happy if the receive enough to get a mention.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

13. - Top - End - #1333
    Troll in the Playground

Okay, you can have my vote, that was worth a laugh.
    Quote Originally Posted by jedipotter View Post
    Logic just does not fit in with the real world. And only the guilty throw fallacy's around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vendin, probably
    As always, the planes prove to be awesomer than I expected.

14. - Top - End - #1334
    Colossus in the Playground

The voting is mainly annoying for me since I haven't followed everything and don't recognize a lot of names on that list, and I'm not going to google all of that.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

15. - Top - End - #1335
    Ettin in the Playground

This may just be another Boaty McBoatface thing, but the Road Tiles just got my vote as well.

I agree that not providing images (or at the very least links to the images) of those models is just shoddy.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

16. - Top - End - #1336
    Titan in the Playground

I mean, they are some pretty rad road titles. Basic, but they do what they need to do well and would be pretty easy to customize.

If GW doesn't agree that that's a good miniature then honestly they're out of touch.

And yes, every single choice should have linked to a picture or the relevant store page.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

17. - Top - End - #1337
    Titan in the Playground

Too bad they recently redesigned their store to be the hottest garbage of all time. Otherwise linking to the pages would have been a no-brainer.
    I used to do LP's. Currently archived here:

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:
    The Great Divide Dark Heresy - Finished
    They All Uprose Dark Heresy - Finished
    Dead in the Water Dark Heresy - Finished
    House of Glass Dark Heresy - Deceased

We All Fall Down Dark Heresy - Finished

Sea of Stars Rogue Trader - Ongoing

18. - Top - End - #1338
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Destro_Yersul View Post
    Too bad they recently redesigned their store to be the hottest garbage of all time. Otherwise linking to the pages would have been a no-brainer.
    Shame we couldn't vote for their old website.
    Logic just does not fit in with the real world. And only the guilty throw fallacy's around.

19. - Top - End - #1339
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Torath View Post
    This may just be another Boaty McBoatface thing, but the Road Tiles just got my vote as well.

I agree that not providing images (or at the very least links to the images) of those models is just shoddy.
    It's not just the failure to provide images, it's also that (like Wraith said) they DID have images of some of their most expensive models. It's like GW is saying, "Let's manipulate the vote so that we can say that they're so beloved that we're justified in charging so much while pushing people to buy these instead of something cheaper."
    Me: Would you rather I spent all my money on alcohol like others in my peer group?
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #1340
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Destro_Yersul View Post
    Yeah, the new site design is bafflingly bad for a store.
    Sanity is nice to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

21. - Top - End - #1341
    Titan in the Playground

Im in, Im all for giving GW a proverbial middle finger especially when they fail hilariously like this at something basic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Guigarci View Post
    "Mr. Aochev, tear down this wall!" Ro'n Ad-Ri'Gan, Bard
    Tiefling Sorcerer by Linkele
    Spoiler: Homebrew stuff
    Show
    My Spell, My Weapon, Im a God

My Post Apocalyptic Alternate Timeline setting: Amerhikan Wasteland

My Historical Stuff channel

22. - Top - End - #1342
    Titan in the Playground

Okay don't get overexcited about the blow you're striking against them here, its a meme choice in a public vote.

23. - Top - End - #1343
    Titan in the Playground

Okay don't get overexcited about the blow you're striking against them here, its a meme choice in a public vote.
    Yes, I know. ANd I love meme choices like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Guigarci View Post
    "Mr. Aochev, tear down this wall!" Ro'n Ad-Ri'Gan, Bard
    Tiefling Sorcerer by Linkele
    Spoiler: Homebrew stuff
    Show
    My Spell, My Weapon, Im a God

My Post Apocalyptic Alternate Timeline setting: Amerhikan Wasteland

My Historical Stuff channel

24. - Top - End - #1344
    Ettin in the Playground

I've seen weirder stuff happen on the internet. Like the time that the internet got mad at some gaming site and swarmed their "greatest video game character ever" poll to make the dinos from Bubble Bobble win by a landslide.
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #1345
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I'm not saying it's rigged, but it's a very bad look to host pictures of 6 of your biggest and most expensive models...
    I might use the word "influenced."
    But I think the poll ultimately relies on you not remembering the models that came out this year. If you know which models you like, you'll vote for it.
    If you don't know which models were released this year, and you are just given a blank page with radio boxes; Well I mean the most recent models you saw were Angron and Lion. Surely those are good models? Yeah. They must be the good ones.

Even then, some people unironically believe that this

Spoiler: Librarian
    Show

is the best model of the year. Simple, clean (affordable?), and most importantly; No tactical rocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk748 View Post
    Im in, Im all for giving GW a proverbial middle finger especially when they fail hilariously like this at something basic.
    Eh.
    At best they ignore all the responses that marked that, and go to the next highest answer.
    At worst they get "in" on the joke and mention it briefly (e.g; Remember the crab?), before saying "...Anyway..." and going to the next highest answer (likely Angron or Lion).

One thing I do like about the Detachment system, is that I can now make my combined arms army and nobody cares. In fact, it makes even more sense than it used to.

Let's say I'm running my Anvil Siege Force. It's bright yellow. It's awesome.

...But then I have a Scout and Infiltrator Squad painted like Space Wolves. Why do I have random Space Wolf units in my army? First of all, they're not random. Those are the stealthy ones, which the bright yellow Marines can't do (to this day, nearly 30 years in the hobby, I still don't quite understand how some of the primary coloured-Chapters do stealth). These Space Wolves are attached to the Imperial Fists for a spell to get learning experience, Chapter exchange program, or maybe they were marooned in Space, put out a distress call, and the Imperial Fists said "We'll get you home...In 35 years (Space is big. Really, really BIG.)...In the meantime..." just like the fluff says happens all the time.

The important thing also, is that the Scouts and Infiltrators don't actually gain anything from the Detachment rule. They are, in fact, outside the scope of the Detachment. And, unlike 7th or 8th Eds., I don't have to jump through hoops to get just the units I want. "If you want some Space Wolves, you have to have two HQs and three Troops..." But I don't want two HQs and three Troops. I want one Troops, two max. I don't want Space Wolf Characters (HQs) because the units I have that are Space Wolves - if you want to call them that - don't benefit from having Characters attached (or rather, it's a complete waste of points to do so).

Anyway. Point is my "Right and Left Hands of the Emperor." starts to make more sense, not just in my head, but on the table, too.*

*If Dorn is the Emperor's right hand...Why is the Imperial Fists' symbol a left hand!? Reeeee...
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2023-12-15 at 10:02 PM.
    Spoiler: My Mum Says I'm Cool
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

26. - Top - End - #1346
    Ogre in the Playground

*If Dorn is the Emperor's right hand...Why is the Imperial Fists' symbol a left hand!? Reeeee...
    To make it look sinister.
    "I don't approve of society, so I try not to participate in it."
    =====

Avatar of Karl the human by Bradakhan

27. - Top - End - #1347
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler: Librarian
    Show

is the best model of the year. Simple, clean (affordable?), and most importantly; No tactical rocks.
    The never ending minor variation on power armor get old fast and never stick in the mind.

Nah mate, that's just because you're in the opposite hemisphere, up here that's the right hand.

28. - Top - End - #1348
    Ogre in the Playground

and most importantly; No tactical rocks.
    the sheer amount of tatical rocks used on space marine models drives me insane. THE ONE FORCE WHERE THEY MAKE NO SENCE WITH MY BASING SCHEME.

I ended up voting for the S2D Chaos Warriors. as they are why I've started my first non-Death army.
    Rule of Cool former designer

Games I'm playing: League of Legends, Mechwarrior Online

29. - Top - End - #1349
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NeoVid View Post
    To make it look sinister.
    I just want you to know that I deeply appreciate this joke.

I voted for the orruk big-pigs, because they look fun and cost me the most money in an individual purchase this year.

30. - Top - End - #1350
    Colossus in the Playground

Let's say I'm running my Anvil Siege Force. It's bright yellow. It's awesome.

...But then I have a Scout and Infiltrator Squad painted like Space Wolves. Why do I have random Space Wolf units in my army? First of all, they're not random. Those are the stealthy ones, which the bright yellow Marines can't do (to this day, nearly 30 years in the hobby, I still don't quite understand how some of the primary coloured-Chapters do stealth).
    Rogal Dorn did have a very strong disdain for it:

"Do not ask me to approach the battle meekly, to creep through the shadows, or to quietly slip on my foes in the dark. I am Rogal Dorn, Imperial Fist, Space Marine, Emperor’s Champion. Let my enemies cower at my advance and tremble at the sight of me."
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele