New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 19 of 45 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021222324252627282944 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #541
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: Pokémon Thread XXX: Hot Skitty on Wailord Action!

That’s a mean way to refer to the noble Lord Electrode

2. - Top - End - #542
    Ogre in the Playground

I just wanted to gush on Pokemon Legends.

I remember borrowing Pokemon Blue from my cousin for a weekend. I remember jumping up and down, shrieking like Zubat when I opened up Pokemon Yellow at Christmas. I waited in line for Silver and, a decade later, waiting in line for Heart Gold.

Pokemon Legends is exactly what my child mind imagined while I was playing the old games. Hiding in grass, looking for Pokemon, ANY Pokemon. I wasn't trying to build a team for late game; I was exploring.

Here's a list of all the things Legends improved on that I think about constantly:
    No more running shoes, because I have a running deer.
    No more item finder, because I have a bear.
    No more flashing screen with the same MIDI sting before every single combat.
    Ledges aren't completely one-way and I later get a weasel for that.
    Filling my Pokedex matters for more than getting Flash.
    I can fly back to heal my Pokemon at the very beginning of the game, and not 5/8s of the way through.
    Legends restates that Pokemon have the ability to shrink down to a very small size, which is why they fit in Pokeballs and why they shrink when they faint. (I had forgotten for years that this ability is why they're called Pocket Monsters.)

One last thing: I find myself calling my Pokemon out at camp or in town. I congratulate them after a hard victory. I introduce the party to new team mates. I even have certain ones stand next to each other because they've been working together so long and they start "talking" to each other (auto-facing).

It's just fun and fantastic, like it used to be. I don't worry about stats or EV training or about keeping my entire party at the same level, since pretty much everything faints in one hit, anyway.
    Check out a bunch of stuff I wrote for my campaign world of Oz.

Spoiler
    Show
    I am the Burley, formerly known as Burley Warlock. I got my name changed. Please remember me...

3. - Top - End - #543
    Ogre in the Playground

biggrin Re: Pokémon Thread XXX: Hot Skitty on Wailord Action!

Legends Arceus final boss:
    Spoiler
    Show
    So, I've been seeing a lot of comments from all over the web about the Volo/Giratina fight, and I have just one question: Am I way better at this game than I assumed, or does everyone else just suck? I beat this fight first try with only one of my Pokémon getting knocked out, but I've heard plenty of stories from other people going in with higher level Pokémon than I did and still losing multiple times. I mean, I thought the fight was cool, but it wasn't hard. *shrug*
    Princess Celestia's Homebrew Corner
    Old classes, new classes, and more!

Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the avatar!

4. - Top - End - #544
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    Legends Arceus final boss:
    Spoiler
    Show
    So, I've been seeing a lot of comments from all over the web about the Volo/Giratina fight, and I have just one question: Am I way better at this game than I assumed, or does everyone else just suck? I beat this fight first try with only one of my Pokémon getting knocked out, but I've heard plenty of stories from other people going in with higher level Pokémon than I did and still losing multiple times. I mean, I thought the fight was cool, but it wasn't hard. *shrug*
    Spoiler
    Show

What pokemon was your team?

Also that isn't the final boss of the game

5. - Top - End - #545
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

What pokemon was your team?

Also that isn't the final boss of the game
    Spoiler
    Show
    Hisuian Decidueye, Gardevoir, Gastrodon, Crobat, Hisuian Goodra, Umbreon.

Eh, Arceus is a bonus extra boss. Volo is the end of the story.

6. - Top - End - #546
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins's Avatar

It'll be a... While before I can have opinions about final bosses. My game got soft locked because I caught Cresselia before being told to catch Cresselia, and now cannot progress because there's no Cresselia to catch, and I didn't realize it in time to fix it.

So I'm warning you now, friends don't let friends catch Cresselia unprompted.
    The above post sponsored by Fullbladder Manufacturing.
    And so begins the Age of Extinction! The Year of the Dinosaurs! And the Reign of the Predacons!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Avatar Credit: Kalirush, Lord Herman, Stoneburr, Simius Dr. Bath, Abardam, Fayt, Keris Rain, The Extinguisher, Qwernt, Kwarkpudding, Tiffanie Lirle, Djinn in Tonic, Coplantor, Crown of Thorns, and many more
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Festy View Post
    Fullbladder's awesome.

7. - Top - End - #547
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins View Post
    It'll be a... While before I can have opinions about final bosses. My game got soft locked because I caught Cresselia before being told to catch Cresselia, and now cannot progress because there's no Cresselia to catch, and I didn't realize it in time to fix it.

So I'm warning you now, friends don't let friends catch Cresselia unprompted.
    Didn't the recent patch fix that bug?

8. - Top - End - #548
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins's Avatar

Didn't the recent patch fix that bug?
    My game is fully up to date. From what I can find the only fix available right now is to have realized what was happening soon enough to reload to a backup save. Apparently this is a side effect of a previous bug fix to stop the same scenario from just spawning a second Cresselia?
    The above post sponsored by Fullbladder Manufacturing.
    And so begins the Age of Extinction! The Year of the Dinosaurs! And the Reign of the Predacons!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Avatar Credit: Kalirush, Lord Herman, Stoneburr, Simius Dr. Bath, Abardam, Fayt, Keris Rain, The Extinguisher, Qwernt, Kwarkpudding, Tiffanie Lirle, Djinn in Tonic, Coplantor, Crown of Thorns, and many more
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Festy View Post
    Fullbladder's awesome.

9. - Top - End - #549
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, the graphics of gen 9 look...dated; but the scale of everything gives me hope for a more vast, immersive region. Also, going back to colors for names is a neat choice after 12 years.
    Once you go blue, nothing else will do. Once you go Quarian...someone will die.

10. - Top - End - #550

A link to the trailer for those curious.

I for one love it. Cute cat, apple gator, and a duck that will get a katana are good choices for starter!

11. - Top - End - #551
    Firbolg in the Playground

If the names leaked by Serebii are correct, we've got Latin influence instead of Helenic. That means we're going to Poke-Italy or an off-shot of Poke-Spain.
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

12. - Top - End - #552
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Quote Originally Posted by MCerberus View Post
    If the names leaked by Serebii are correct, we've got Latin influence instead of Helenic. That means we're going to Poke-Italy or an off-shot of Poke-Spain.
    What I have seen of the map looks very Spain to me. Unless they made poke-italy a square.

13. - Top - End - #553
    Ogre in the Playground

Wait, what? Gen 9? This year? That's too soon. I really wish Gamefreak would stop pumping out new generations like clockwork and actually take their time to make sure the games are good. This just looks like SwSh but more, and that's not a good thing. I currently have no hype. I actually liked that live action bit more than the actual trailer. That was fun.

14. - Top - End - #554
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Wait, what? Gen 9? This year? That's too soon. I really wish Gamefreak would stop pumping out new generations like clockwork and actually take their time to make sure the games are good. This just looks like SwSh but more, and that's not a good thing. I currently have no hype. I actually liked that live action bit more than the actual trailer. That was fun.
    SwSh was three years ago, though. Arceus isn't mainline so the timeline matches up with the gap between previous gens.

If they can BotW this new mainline game, I'm all for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by MERC_1 View Post
    I find it very amusing that a very theoretical discussion of how to Optimize Bardic Music, turns into a discussion on how much worms you can eat in 7 minutes.

15. - Top - End - #555

Quote Originally Posted by ben-zayb View Post
    SwSh was three years ago, though. Arceus isn't mainline so the timeline matches up with the gap between previous gens.

If they can BotW this new mainline game, I'm all for it.
    Arceus is mainline. Explicitly. The devs said so.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

16. - Top - End - #556
    Ogre in the Playground

So far, the only good thing I can say about this new generation is that maybe this will finally get people to stop harping on about the "fire starters are the Chinese zodiac" thing as if it were canon even though it has never even made sense. Fennekin isn't a dog. Cyndaquil isn't a mouse. Feucoco is very definitely not a snake.

Beyond that, I've never been more worried about a new game. Pokémon has spent the past 25 years making basically the same game. They've convinced us all that minor gimmicks are major improvements. But then they made a monkey paw wish with Legends Arceus. It was wildly successful, but now that they've made a game with actual improvements and innovation, they can never go back. If Gen 9 isn't as good or better than Legends Arceus, it will be abysmally terrible, even if it's good compared to ShSw. And I just don't think Gamefreak cares enough to put that much effort in.

17. - Top - End - #557
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Oh, cool Generation 9 Pokemon. How intriguing.
    It's time to get my Magikarp on!

18. - Top - End - #558
    Ogre in the Playground

https://nintendosoup.com/pokemon-vio...e-core-series/

Well, so far so good. Maybe I was wrong, and Gen 9 will be at least as good as Legends Arceus. That would be nice. I desperately want the games to be good. I want to love Pokémon and have fun.

19. - Top - End - #559
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    Arceus is mainline. Explicitly. The devs said so.
    Looks like it is. Then, ignore that part explicitly, but it's still the case of three or so years between generations since Gen 5.
    It isn't too soon.
    I find it very amusing that a very theoretical discussion of how to Optimize Bardic Music, turns into a discussion on how much worms you can eat in 7 minutes.

20. - Top - End - #560
    Titan in the Playground

So far, the only good thing I can say about this new generation is that maybe this will finally get people to stop harping on about the "fire starters are the Chinese zodiac" thing as if it were canon even though it has never even made sense. Fennekin isn't a dog. Cyndaquil isn't a mouse. Feucoco is very definitely not a snake.

Beyond that, I've never been more worried about a new game. Pokémon has spent the past 25 years making basically the same game. They've convinced us all that minor gimmicks are major improvements. But then they made a monkey paw wish with Legends Arceus. It was wildly successful, but now that they've made a game with actual improvements and innovation, they can never go back. If Gen 9 isn't as good or better than Legends Arceus, it will be abysmally terrible, even if it's good compared to ShSw. And I just don't think Gamefreak cares enough to put that much effort in.
    I like your take but I feel fanboys are so indoctrinated at this point they'll buy everything. As well as parents, since Pokemon is a surefire good gift. And taking aside the fact that good Pokemon games NEED to be mainline games, I feel Mystery Dungeon showed that Pokemon can go great and then continue to be mediocre.

21. - Top - End - #561
    Ogre in the Playground

Looks like it is. Then, ignore that part explicitly, but it's still the case of three or so years between generations since Gen 5.
    It isn't too soon.
    Just because it's been standard practice for a decade doesn't mean it's good. Three years is absolutely too soon; it always has been. It was a major problem in the past three generations, as well. That is, in fact, one of the biggest reasons why those games have all been such disappointments.

22. - Top - End - #562
    Titan in the Playground

......this gen might actually make go grass starter rather than choose fire type again, because kitty. kitty is cute, the other two just look silly to me.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

23. - Top - End - #563
    Ogre in the Playground

Color name choices are interesting; I couldn’t figure out what the contrast was until I realized they were on opposite ends of the visible light spectrum.

24. - Top - End - #564

NecromancerGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Kareeah_Indaga View Post
    Color name choices are interesting; I couldn’t figure out what the contrast was until I realized they were on opposite ends of the visible light spectrum.
    While also being shades of Red and Blue for the older fans, cause this series will never be able to move past constant call backs to Gen 1, even though their target audience will never understand what the call backs are. That's the thing I find I dislike most about Pokemon games, they can never figure out WHO their actual target is. They are all clearly designed for kids who Pokemon is their first big intro to JRPGs. But they are also stuffed to the brim with stuff referencing or building on older games that those kids will likely never play, all to keep their older players around. Who are mostly nearing 40 if they grew up playing Pokemon Red and Blue as that target audience. They are torn between drawing in new fans with the designs and gameplay, but keeping the older fans around with constant references.

I also have issues with the games constantly being built for Singles when playing the story, but them constantly pushing doubles for official gameplay tournaments, and trying to cripple singles with online features. But that's not something most people here care for. And its something I have mostly moved past anyway.

On a slightly more outdated note, as someone who likes Monster Hunter, but hated Breath of the Wild, how worth it is Legends:Arceus? Was thinking of picking it up a few paydays from now once I get my bills payed, but after my distaste of Breath of the Wild I am worried that Nintendo made Open World games aren't my thing.

25. - Top - End - #565
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Based on the buildings and the in-game map, other fansites report that the region will be based off of Spain. Any guesses on what Spanish references GF will add on a Pokemon? Maybe a regional Tauros or a wine-themed 'mon?

Just because it's been standard practice for a decade doesn't mean it's good. Three years is absolutely too soon; it always has been. It was a major problem in the past three generations, as well. That is, in fact, one of the biggest reasons why those games have all been such disappointments.
    It's not too soon based on GameFreak's expected schedule pattern, is what I'm saying. It's more of an educated estimate based on historical data than anything else subjective.

Saying all the gen 6-8 games were disappointments mostly due to having only three years to develop is more of a personal take, which I don't find to be the case at all. Were three years of developmental cycles too soon for Gen 2 or Gen 3? You did claim 3 years being to soon has always been the case. Do you find Gen 4 and Gen 5 games to be great, good enough, or barely just above disappointing? They had development cycles longer than the rest (about a third more), but I'm not sure how longer you think would make for a good game. PLA, which as Rater pointed out was a mainline game, was released 2 years after SwSh. You don't seem to be disappointed by it, despite having painted a broad stroke on all Gen 6-8 games.

If anything, PLA showed GF can make improvements on the same failed concept (open world) in a shorter period if they put effort, attention, and resources to it. The goodwill GF earned with PLA is what makes me excited for Gen 9.

Quote Originally Posted by Kareeah_Indaga View Post
    Light is very much featured in the trailer. You may be onto something here. Alternatively, maybe they're the more fancy or marketable title for what would have been Pokemon Infrared and Pokemon Ultraviolet in the drawing board, which is kind of the opposite of visible light.
    Last edited by ben-zayb; 2022-02-27 at 09:50 PM.

26. - Top - End - #566
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    ......this gen might actually make go grass starter rather than choose fire type again, because kitty. kitty is cute, the other two just look silly to me.
    I didn't like the crocodile pepper at first glance, but it's grown on me. I definitely do not like dumb hat ducklett, though. We really don't need more water type duck Pokémon.

Quote Originally Posted by Saambell View Post
    While also being shades of Red and Blue for the older fans, cause this series will never be able to move past constant call backs to Gen 1, even though their target audience will never understand what the call backs are. That's the thing I find I dislike most about Pokemon games, they can never figure out WHO their actual target is. They are all clearly designed for kids who Pokemon is their first big intro to JRPGs. But they are also stuffed to the brim with stuff referencing or building on older games that those kids will likely never play, all to keep their older players around. Who are mostly nearing 40 if they grew up playing Pokemon Red and Blue as that target audience. They are torn between drawing in new fans with the designs and gameplay, but keeping the older fans around with constant references.

I also have issues with the games constantly being built for Singles when playing the story, but them constantly pushing doubles for official gameplay tournaments, and trying to cripple singles with online features. But that's not something most people here care for. And its something I have mostly moved past anyway.
    {Scrubbed}Why was the ace Pokémon of the Gen 8 champion ScrubbedCharizard rather than, oh I don't know, a Gen 8 Pokémon? Why did the Kanto starters get mega evolutions but not the starters of the generation that introduced mega evolution? It's awful.

In this case, though. So far, this doesn't seem bad. A lot of fans are hypothesizing that these games are intended to be soft reboots of the franchise, and if that's true, then a name only reference to the first games is perfectly fine. I just hope it doesn't go further than that.

On a slightly more outdated note, as someone who likes Monster Hunter, but hated Breath of the Wild, how worth it is Legends:Arceus? Was thinking of picking it up a few paydays from now once I get my bills payed, but after my distaste of Breath of the Wild I am worried that Nintendo made Open World games aren't my thing.
    Well that entirely depends on what you didn't like about Breath of the Wild, I suppose.

It's not too soon based on GameFreak's expected schedule pattern, is what I'm saying. It's more of an educated estimate based on historical data than anything else subjective.

Saying all the gen 6-8 games were disappointments mostly due to having only three years to develop is more of a personal take, which I don't find to be the case at all. Were three years of developmental cycles too soon for Gen 2 or Gen 3? You did claim 3 years being to soon has always been the case. Do you find Gen 4 and Gen 5 games to be great, good enough, or barely just above disappointing? They had development cycles longer than the rest (about a third more), but I'm not sure how longer you think would make for a good game. PLA, which as Rater pointed out was a mainline game, was released 2 years after SwSh. You don't seem to be disappointed by it, despite having painted a broad stroke on all Gen 6-8 games.

If anything, PLA showed GF can make improvements on the same failed concept (open world) in a shorter period if they put effort, attention, and resources to it. The goodwill GF earned with PLA is what makes me excited for Gen 9.
    Gens 2 and 3 were much smaller, simpler games. It makes sense that they'd be able to do more with the same amount of time. Gen 4 was meh. Gen 5 was the best Pokémon generation. (And before you jump to conclusions, because I know you will, no this is not me saying that Gen 5 was perfect or flawless. It had problems; it was just the best generation despite said problems.)

I did not say mostly. I said it's one of the biggest problems, not that it's the only problem or even the main problem. There are many problems with Pokémon.

Legends Arceus is a good, fun game. Is it perfect? No. Is it amazing? No. Is it great? No. It's just good. The core gameplay loop is fun. Filling out the Pokédex actually felt like a worthwhile, rewarding experience for once in the past two and half decades. The world was actually interesting to explore for more than twenty seconds. I appreciate the effort and innovation, but it was not a mind blowing masterpiece. The only reason it even receives a positive reception from me is because Gamefreak has lowered the bar so far that a game that compares poorly to the GameCube era is somehow the best mainline game in the franchise's entire history. My respect for the company is virtually non-existent at this point, and Legends Arceus only bought enough goodwill to earn a few moments of consideration. I love Pokémon. It is my favorite franchise. I want nothing more than to see it succeed and release objectively amazing games. But Gamefreak's history has shown that that will probably never happen.
    Last edited by Pirate ninja; 2022-02-28 at 03:30 AM.

27. - Top - End - #567
    Titan in the Playground

A lot of fans are hypothesizing that these games are intended to be soft reboots of the franchise, and if that's true, then a name only reference to the first games is perfectly fine. I just hope it doesn't go further than that.
    Kinda like Black and White, right? That bodes well—the whole "new Pokédex" thing worked out really well for those games.

28. - Top - End - #568
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TaiLiu View Post
    Kinda like Black and White, right? That bodes well—the whole "new Pokédex" thing worked out really well for those games.
    Well, we've already seen old Pokémon, so that's out also, I guarantee you this generation will add exactly 94 Pokémon, so it wouldn't be enough to fill a full region, anyways.

Still, I do hope these games are like Black and White in more than one way. And actually commit to the reboot idea. Retrospectively, Black and White have more similarities to gens 1-4 than it does to gens 6-8.

29. - Top - End - #569

NecromancerGirl

Scrub the quote Why was the ace Pokémon of the Gen 8 champion Scrub the quote Charizard rather than, oh I don't know, a Gen 8 Pokémon? Why did the Kanto starters get mega evolutions but not the starters of the generation that introduced mega evolution? It's awful.
    What stands out to me mostly of the "why the gen 1 references" is the inclusion of Red and Green at the battle tree in Gen 7. Like, by that time the Gen 3 remakes were most of a decade old, and kids would have zero context for who these guys are, and why they should care. It existed purely as a massive call back to gen 1, which would be totally lost on anyone under 20. At most you could claim it was more of a HGSS call back, but we all know exactly which game they were aiming for.

Well that entirely depends on what you didn't like about Breath of the Wild, I suppose.
    Honestly, the controls. I barely scraped the surface of the game, having barely left the tutorial area, but I was constantly annoyed by the stupid clunky controls. Like 3 different menu buttons, some of which don't even access the same menu as the others. Link controlling like a drunk semi-truck, with so many actions useful for fights tied to needing 3+ buttons pressed in rapid succession, when I lack quick response and dexterity. It was just a nightmare to play, and I had yet to actually get to the "real" game, which of course means a jump in challenge, and I had no sign that I was going to be able to handle it.

Luckily it was borrowed from my brother, not an actual personal purchase, and I can just borrow it again if I really get the itch to try again. But as long as Pokemon Legends: Arceus doesn't have as many control/menu issues as BotW, I might be tempted to try it. And I can also get it cheaper then normal due to work discount, but if its too close to BotW in the stated ways, I guess its a lot smarter to skip.
    Last edited by Pirate ninja; 2022-02-28 at 03:32 AM.

30. - Top - End - #570
    Titan in the Playground

Regarding the titles, an older (not current) Spanish flag was a red-yellow-purple tricolor; since it's a Spain-inspired region, that might be relevant.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew