New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 35 of 35 FirstFirst ... 102526272829303132333435
Results 1,021 to 1,027 of 1027
  1. - Top - End - #1021
    Spamalot in the Playground

Default Re: Simple RAW for 5e V: The Disadvantage Strikes Back

A420 Dispute: I would say "isn't visible outside it" means that people inside the radius can see to the full extent that their light sources allow, because they aren't outside the sphere.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

2. - Top - End - #1022
    Orc in the Playground

Q421
    Do backgrounds from Ravnica & Strixhaven add their spells to my spells known as a Bard/Sorcerer?
    Or do I just get to pick them as my spells known?

3. - Top - End - #1023

Quote Originally Posted by Wacky89 View Post
    Q421
    Do backgrounds from Ravnica & Strixhaven add their spells to my spells known as a Bard/Sorcerer?
    Or do I just get to pick them as my spells known?
    A421: Strixhaven yes (you get the spells as extra spells known on top of your allotment), Ravnica no (you only gain access and need to actually pick them as spells known.)

The key is to look for the following clause (or a similar one): "You can also cast the spell using any spell slots you have." Starting with Tasha's, that clause has been added to most if not all feats that grant extra spells, effectively turning the spells gained via those feats into spells known.

The Ravnica backgrounds meanwhile merely add those spells to your list - you still need to spend your own allotment of spells known on them. Ravnica predates Tasha's, back when they were worried that feats granting extra spells known might be too powerful (it wasn't.)
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

4. - Top - End - #1024
    Titan in the Playground

421 comment:
    Note that Ravnica's spells-added-to-list comes from a background, not a feat, and is in addition to the normal two skills, two tools/languages, and a trait that backgrounds give, which means that it's still a significant power increase from what came before.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

5. - Top - End - #1025
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    A421:
    Spoiler: Backgrounds
    Show
    Strixhaven yes (you get the spells as extra spells known on top of your allotment), Ravnica no (you only gain access and need to actually pick them as spells known.)

The key is to look for the following clause (or a similar one): "You can also cast the spell using any spell slots you have." Starting with Tasha's, that clause has been added to most if not all feats that grant extra spells, effectively turning the spells gained via those feats into spells known.

The Ravnica backgrounds meanwhile merely add those spells to your list - you still need to spend your own allotment of spells known on them. Ravnica predates Tasha's, back when they were worried that feats granting extra spells known might be too powerful (it wasn't.)
    421 comment
    I think you misunderstood, I was specifically talking of the spells added by Ravnica & Strixhaven backgrounds. Not the Strixhaven Initiate feat.
    But I assume both cases are I need to use spells known to gain access?

6. - Top - End - #1026
    Firbolg in the Playground

Q422: Watchers Paladin level 7 allows the Paladin and allies within 10 ft to add "a bonus equal to their proficiency bonus" to Initiative.

Does this count as adding Proficiency Bonus to initiative, for the purposes of not stacking with Bard's Jack of All Trades? Or is it a separate bonus that just happens to have the same magnitude as proficiency?

I suppose I want to know the answer for both a Multiclass Paladin/Bard as well as a Bard ally of the Paladin.
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

I have a number of ongoing projects that I manically jump between to spend my free time ... so don't be surprised when I post a lot about something for a few days, then burn out and abandon it.
    ... yes, I need to be tested for ADHD.

7. - Top - End - #1027

Quote Originally Posted by Wacky89 View Post
    421 comment
    I think you misunderstood, I was specifically talking of the spells added by Ravnica & Strixhaven backgrounds. Not the Strixhaven Initiate feat.
    But I assume both cases are I need to use spells known to gain access?
    The spells added to your list from the background are not automatically known, you must learn them.
    The spells added to your list from the Strixhaven Initiate feat that the background also gives you ARE automatically known.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy