New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: Dark Seeker's Paper Chase IC

Well that sounds like you're trying to convince her using logic and reasoning, please give me a Persuade roll.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Bugbear in the Playground

DrowGuy

Darn it, I need to start playing Paul as more of a flirt.

Spoiler: Persuade 30
    Show

(1d100)[51]

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Ehhh... sometimes certain conversational strategies work better than others. In addition, it doesn't have to be seduction lol, more often than not it's just being friendly.
    ----

She looks at you, pausing for just a moment and taking in your attire and clothes. "Look, I think I've got all the help I need right now, so if that's all, have a nice day, sir! If you really wanna check out our paper, we've got back issues in the library." She returns calling out, "Jimmy! Get page three down to five paragraphs, yeah, five!" Leaving you standing in the entrance of the busy newspaper.
    ----

I'm afraid that's all unless you were planning on Pushing the roll.

N.B. Attempting a secondary conversational strategy (like using Intimidate after Persuade has failed) is effectively Pushing the roll.

4. - Top - End - #64

DrowGuy

Paul doubts he'll be able to get anywhere with this woman and does not want to risk offending her. He'll head to the library, asking a passerby the way if he's not certain where it is.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Arnoldsberg, 10:22 AM, Sunday, October 2nd, 1921

You quickly ask around, still hiding the liquor somewhere and head into the library, which, while rather small, is still sizable considering the size of this small town. Several townsfolk are milling around, reading books, piling them into a stack, checking some out, and so on and so forth. You then begin delving into the periodicals, other books, whatever you can find about Douglas Kimball, the graveyard, et cetera.

Spoiler: Successful Library Use Roll
    Show
    Spoiler: Normal Success (not Hard/Extreme)
    Show
    Arnoldsberg, 2:38 PM, Sunday, October 2nd, 1921
    Spoiler: Hard Success (not Normal/Extreme)
    Show
    Arnoldsberg, 12:20 PM, Sunday, October 2nd, 1921
    Spoiler: Extreme Success (not Normal/Hard)
    Show
    Arnoldsberg, 11:51 PM, Sunday, October 2nd, 1921

You search for some time until eventually, you find it! Although... you're not entirely sure what it is. You were searching for anything and this just... happened to catch your eye, given the title it's quite understandable, but when you had an actual read you realize there might be something there other than simply sensationalist journalism.

Spoiler: Successful Combined Law and Hard Idea (Intelligence) Roll Where Only One Must Succeed
    Show
    Choose and open one:
    Spoiler: Option #1
    Show
    You know, normally papers, even ones as small as the Advertiser take notes, right? Could they possibly have some more information there?
    Spoiler: Option #2
    Show
    It mentions the constable being called... could the Police Department have some information about that?

Spoiler: Extreme Success (or if Law was Successful)
    Show
    You may open both spoilers.
    ----

Note that a Combined roll means that you roll one d100 and compare it against both skills/characteristics.

Spoiler: Failed Library Use Roll
    Show
    Arnoldsberg, 3:42 PM, Sunday, October 2nd, 1921

You've searched and searched and searched, and it's getting a bit late. The crowd has mostly left at this point and it's really just you and a couple of stragglers. They'll probably close up soon, but you still haven't found anything. Nevertheless, you're positive that maybe with a bit more time...
    ----

You may Push the roll if you so wish. I don't want to do too many layers of spoilers, so if you want to Push the roll, just make the roll and I'll make an appropriate post. Of course, you don't have to push the roll. Feel free to do whatever you want.

6. - Top - End - #66

DrowGuy

Paul enters the library and looks for a librarian, approaching them and flashing them a winning smile. "Good morning! I'm from Miskatonic University and in town conducting some research for the university. If it's not too much trouble, would you be willing to help me in finding information on a few topics?"

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show

Charm 71 (1d100)[67]

7. - Top - End - #67

DrowGuy

Paul takes in the article. It's quite strange, and he tries to think about what it could mean.

(1d100)[95] 30 or below

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

The librarian helped you out for a while, having little else to do as most of the patrons seemed to be used to the library's workings and they had more or less organized everything. However, by the time that you eventually find the article they look at you with a bit of confusion "Er... I hope that was helpful, sir..." He notes as he returns to his duty.
    Meanwhile, you are left alone with the clipping as you begin to puzzle over its confusing contents. So you think, and you think; you look at several of the other issues that were printed alongside the article, and it's to no avail. However, you keep thinking, and searching, and thinking...

Arnoldsberg, 3:31 PM, Sunday, October 2nd, 1921

Hah! You think you've got it! Finally the peace and quiet allowed for you to just have some time to yourself and think!
    Choose and open one option (and no, you get no information about how one option is distinguished from another, that's the thing with ideas, they can be random sometimes).

Spoiler: Option #1
    Show
    You know, normally papers, even ones as small as the Advertiser take notes, right? Could they possibly have some more information there?

Spoiler: Option #2
    Show
    It mentions the constable being called... could the Police Department have some information about that?
    ----

For reference if you had this thought already then good for you (there is no sarcasm in that statement. That is, in fact a good thing)! That's what Idea rolls are, random thoughts that might come to your character that you may not have had.
    ----

However, as you wheel around you realize why it was so quiet... you're alone. Apparently, the library must have closed early today as there is nobody left inside, and the librarian must have closed everything up after himself (with the exception of you). You try the door, locked, you look to the windows, no locks... but do you really want to smash windows or break down a door right now? You slump back into one of the many empty chairs, alone with nothing but your wits and a bottle of wine.

9. - Top - End - #69

DrowGuy

Going with option two

Paul thinks on it and decides to talk with the police. Maybe they could at least disclose where the footprints had been found,which should make it easier for him to locate where these tunnels--if they even exist--were.

But then he sees he's locked in. Paul has a strong desire to open the damn bottle of wine and down the whole thing, prohibition or no. This day was turning into quite the comedy of errors. He imagines his report to the club would be poorly received, to his horror and embarrassment.

He takes a deep breath and tries to remain clam. First, he looks around for any phone, if there is one he'll call the police. Failing that, he'll go to a window and see if he can spy anyone outside, gesturing frantically to anyone he sees.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Please give me a Luck roll.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

You manage to find a phone, and upon doing so you hear a familiar voice... "Hello, what line can I connect you to?"

12. - Top - End - #72

DrowGuy

"Mrs. Kimball? Is that you? It's Paul Turner. We have a sort of funny situation here. I've been locked in the library by mistake. Could you connect me to the police?

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

There's a pause on the line. "... Paul?! Well, of course, by golly, I certainly didn't expect to hear you on the line, just... give me a minute."
    ----

Well, it seems you now know that Mary is a switchboard oerator, huh... immersion!
    ----

The line goes silent for a moment, and then Mary returns. "They should be right on over, I'm... sorry that this happened when you were investigating on mine and Thomas' behalf." She then bids you farewell and disconnects.
    It doesn't take long for an officer to arrive and jimmy open the door. "Hello mister... Turner is it? Mary explained to me what happened, but I do have to ask, just standard procedure of course, what were you doing in the library after it closed?"
    ----

As the officer is speaking to you, please give me a Combined Luck and Sleight of Hand roll where only one must succeed (concerning a certain item on your person).

14. - Top - End - #74

DrowGuy

I actually figured it out via text color, which you probably intended. But great job, made me feel a bit clever. Have not felt that way many times during this adventure.

"Thank you May, I greatly appreciate it."

"Ah, officer, hello. Yes, that's me." He holds out a hand to shake. "Sorry, I'm from Miskatonic and was conducting some research and must have lost track of time. Not one of my finer moments, but I'm afraid those stereotypes about absent minded professors are true in my experience." He laughs. "The Liberian can support my story, should you have any doubts. He was a big help.

"Thank you again, officer. As it happens, you may be able to assist me with another matter." He shows the man the story. "Would this happen to ring a bell? If you have any information about this or any more recent graveyard disturbances I would greatly appreciate it."

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Indeed! I actually meant that you realize her job is that of a switchboard operator, not that it is her in the first place, sorry if that was unclear.
    ----

The officer looks a bit confused, "I'm sorry, but you know, I can't say it does. However..." He looks off towards the police station. "How about I walk you over to the station. I'm sure someone can help you out, and we have donuts!" He seems pleased about the donut part.
    (Assuming you go with him since you wanted to head there anyway). "Anyway, I'll have to be returning to my patrol soon, but it's a good thing that you happened to call me, you're obviously a decent fellow and all that, but protocol is protocol, and the new head's been making some changes." He flashes his handcuffs. "Never even had to take these out with me on patrol before, town's nearly free of crime."
    Eventually, you make it to the station. "But now we got oodles and oodles of forms to fill out, it's not fun I say, no fun at all, bud." As the officer walks you through the doors he calls out to a desk sergeant. "Dern, could you help this man out? He's just investigating some local history from Miskatonic or whatever, thought we'd be of some assistance!" Only to turn back towards you, "Good luck with your investigation Mr. Turner."
    ----

If you wanted to ask him any other questions, that's fine, I'm just moving the plot ahead a bit.
    ----

Arnoldsberg, 3:42 PM, October 2nd, 1921

Meanwhile, with little else to do you head up towards the desk officer, but he does not look up from his work, "Hello sir, I'm sorry. I know what Officer Shaw said, but I'm terribly busy right now, perhaps you could come by tomorrow. Does that sound ok?"

16. - Top - End - #76

DrowGuy

Paul makes small talk with the officer and thanks him profusely for his help.

Frustration rises within Paul and he bites back on a rude remark. This wasn't like him, but the truth is he's had just about enough of people giving him the runaround. Didn't they realize he was on a deadline?

Instead he adopts an apologetic look and frowns. "Oh dear. I'm afraid that won't quite work. You see, I really must be heading back to the university tomorrow. And I've already been significantly delayed given my misadventure at the library. I'd hate to put you behind in your own work, but you'd be doing me a great service, Mr. Dern, and keeping me from heading home empty handed. And from what officer Shaw was telling me you've done a great job keeping this town crime free regardless." A little flattery often worked wonders.

Spoiler: Charm 71
    Show

I know you requested I never roll unless you asked for it, but I'm thinking this will require a charm roll. If for whatever reason it doesn't please just disregard.

(1d100)[19]

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

The man nods as you finish. "Yeah... I'm Dern. Officer Ripley Dern. Well, look, as I said, I'm a bit busy. I've got several deadlines to make, you know, (heh) but I suppose if it's nothing too scandalous I can take a quick break." He also adds in quickly. "Plus, I for shore need a donut."
    He gets up and takes one of the said donuts from its box and heads over towards the files. "So... what exactly are you looking into, bud?" He flips through several files, using his mouth to hold the donut while he does.
    ----

Indeed it would be Charm, but the reason why I'm not a fan of people making rolls unless I tell them comes up here. In this scenario, because Officer Shaw requested you help out, you would have a Bonus Die, which, had I not mentioned until after you rolled, might've seemed like I was being biased in some manner (and while I am biased, that means little).

18. - Top - End - #78

DrowGuy

Understood, from now on I'll ask before rolling. Got a little too enthusiastic.

"Thank you so much, Officer Dern. I'm actually interested in an old case of yours from 1909 or so." Paul shows him the article. "Would it be possible to take a look at the original report? Also, have you heard any news about the graveyard recently? I spoke with the gardener earlier and he accused me of being a reporter, said they were hassling him recently."

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Again, you're all good. I just didn't want to make it seem like I was being impartial in any way lol

Also, I guess that you were able to effectively steal the article given that you were locked in there, huh...

----

Officer Dern looks you over, looks the article over, then heads back and looks through the files. "Cemetery you said?" He flips through more files. "Nothing really here, some reports of strange noises while back. Then once again around six or seven years ago. Patrols seem to have..." He flips to the next page. "Yeah, officers were sent out, patrolling by the place for a couple of weeks, but there wasn't really anything there... Quiet as a grave." Officer Dern chuckles at his joke. "If you really want to have a look, I guess you can, but it was probably just Jefferson, drunk as ever. Don't believe a word that man says, we have to lock him up practically every night."
    He then puts the papers away and heads back towards the desk. "Well, that's it. I gotta return to my work, I hope that was helpful and all, sir."

20. - Top - End - #80

DrowGuy

Paul hides his disappointment. "It did, thank you very much. I'll let you get back to your work, officer."

With that lead being a dead end, he heads back to the graveyard with his peace offering to Jefferson. Drunk or not, the man seemed his last hope at the moment.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Ehhh... not entirely a dead end. There is a bit of new information learned, no?
    ----

Arnoldsberg, 4:05 PM, October 2nd, 1921

You depart from the police station listlessly, it's unclear exactly how much you've learned about the disappearance, the books, or the graveyard. Nevertheless, when you arrive at the graveyard you see in the afternoon light that it remains reasonably well-tended, with abundant vegetation. Mr. Jefferson notices your presence and simply ignores you, quite content to simply do his work without interruption.

22. - Top - End - #82

DrowGuy

True, the noises did repeat. Something to ponder...

Paul walks right up to Jefferson. "This sure seems like hard work. Would you care for a drink?" He shows him the wine.

Edit: Before leaving, Paul asks if there's anymore information about the noises from six years back.
    Last edited by Dark Seeker; 2019-11-30 at 03:03 PM.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Specifically about the noises in the cemetery? Nope, nothing. Apparently the cemetery is a pretty quiet neighborhood and officers discovered nothing there.

Jefferson looks at you strangely. "That's uh... that's... you know it's prohibition, right bud?" He says, one eyebrow cautiously raised.

24. - Top - End - #84

DrowGuy

"Oh I know, yes. Judging by the flask on your side, I'm not sure you got the memo." He smiles wide and holds out his arms in a placating motion. "But please, I mean this as a genuine gift. I'm not a reporter, regardless of what you think, but I am rather interested in this graveyard. There's a history of strange figures being seen here, strange sounds being heard. It's connected to a man going missing, and I want to find out what happened to him for the peace of his family. If you could tell me anything you know, I would really appreciate it."

Before Jefferson answers he hands him the drink, hopefully demonstrating his trust in the gardener and wanting this to seem more like a gift than a blatant bribe. He suspects the man has seen things, given his history with the police; it may even be why he drinks so much.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Jefferson's hand immediately goes to his coat, but he seems to calm down as you fully explain yourself. Once your done he eyes you warily, but tentatively reaches out his hand only to snatch the bottle from you. "Romeo's?" He asks after taking a sip. "Decent..."
    He then looks out to the graveyard. "Well... if you're not a reporter, and you for shore ain't a button. (read: police officer) I guess it won't do you no harm." He puts the shovel down, takes another couple of sips and leans against a large gravestone.
    "Look, that missing man you're looking for, that's Douglas, right? Don't know anything about a family, he never mentioned it at least, but he's not missing. He's dead, bud." He takes a long drink from the bottle and then leans in. "I've seen his ghost."

26. - Top - End - #86

DrowGuy

Paul takes the news in relative stride, only allowing a second of shock to cross his face. But after what he's seen he's at least willing to consider the possibility. "Really? Could you describe where you were when you saw it?

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Jefferson at this point is paying minimal attention to Paul, instead, focusing entirely on his story (probably due to the liquor). Tongue loosened, he continues. "Eeire thing it was, dark, spooky, late at night, standin' smack here too, when I saw it right at ol' Douglas' spot."
    He shudders, presumably the sheer thought of the memory brings fright. "I haven't been near the place since, feel a cold comin' on every time I go towards it. Definitely don't work nights either..." He stares at you with a gaze of cold iron. "Such things are best left alone, son."

28. - Top - End - #88

DrowGuy

Knew I missed something. Well done though, that's what I call foreshadowing.

"And where is Douglas' spot?" Paul asks, ignoring Jefferson's warning and poorly hiding his own curiosity.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Jefferson points off deeper into the graveyard, clearly quite inebriated by now. “But yoush don’ wanna go there, bud...” You see that his gesture highlights a somewhat large, but otherwise nondescript gravestone. You can picture someone leaning up against it and reading, as Jefferson mentioned.
    Speaking of which, at this point, Jefferson has taken out his own flask and adds some of it to the bottle. “Douglas’s dead fer shhore...” You’re beginning you realize why Douglas always gets brought in. The man loves to drink but can barely handle said vice.
    ——

I try...

30. - Top - End - #90

DrowGuy

"Thank you Mr. Jefferson. Please enjoy the wine."

Paul considers his next move. Part of him wants to go back to the house and talk to Thomas, maybe tell him what he's about to do and call the police if he's not back in a few hours. After all, there was no telling what he was about to get himself into. But Douglas-- or whomever the robber was-- had an opportunity to murder or harm Thomas and May and had not taken it, solely focused on the books. That made Paul believe that whatever the man was up to, he wasn't dangerous. perhaps he had become a modern Walden figure, trading the woods for the tunnels under this graveyard, so he could read in peace.

He heads towards the spot, intent on investigating it further.