New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: Dark Seeker's Paper Chase IC

I'm afraid you just rolled a Fumble (a 96-100 on a skill with a rating < 50) so something unfortunate happens.
    ----

Thomas begins visibly quivering, "I... I... why are you ex-examining m-me? I just th-thought you were some sort of inv-investigative g-group..." He gets up from his chair and bolts up the stairs. "I-I have to go." He notes definitively on his rush to escape from the eyes of this investigator.

Well, that could've gone better. Nevertheless, the study.

Arnoldsberg, 3:02 PM, October 1st, 1921

You head into the room and immediately find yourself overwhelmed by the sheer volume of books. They are of all shapes and sizes and it could take a whole day to dig through the entire pile, and there is most certainly no record of his books, at least, one that you can obviously find. Instead light from the window falls upon many of them that are simply piled haphazardly for Kimball the elder to simply grab whatever book fit his fancy. Simply looking through a few books allows for you to realize that Douglas Kimball was quite a well-read man. There are books upon almost every single subject, from numerology to theses concerning the tenants of the Christian church. You also notice that there are, as Thomas mentioned several locations for China, vases, etc... interspersed amongst the books in this room.

You briefly look around through the piles of stacks. With the exception of the six aforementioned spots (made obvious by the dust marks, and are from a wide variety of different places in the study), which are of a myriad of sizes, you find nothing except a rather intriguing story concerning sea creatures deep below the ocean who could communicate with people. You expect you could spend a whole day rifling through these books and dig up absolutely nothing. On the other hand, you might be able to find something, but no matter what, it would definitely take time.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Bugbear in the Playground

DrowGuy

"Wait, Thomas. I didn't mean..." But it's too late, and the lad has fled. Paul makes a note to try and sooth his ruffled feathers later. Still, his skittishness made Paul wonder if he was hiding something.

The study seems like a long project, but given he had just scared off the one lead they had perhaps it would be wise to try to dig through the collection anyway. Worse came to worse, he would find a few interesting leads. But first, he decides to talk with this Mary. Perhaps she had known Douglas and could shed some light on either his hobbies or disappearance. Hopefully she would view him more favorably than her employer had.

But he cannot find the elusive woman, so he returns to the study and begins the long and tedious process of going through the books.
    Last edited by Dark Seeker; 2019-11-28 at 01:59 PM.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Please give me a Spot Hidden roll.

4. - Top - End - #34

DrowGuy

Paul gets to work.

Spoiler: Spot Hidden 40
    Show

(1d100)[26]

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Arnoldsberg, 10:37 PM, October 1st, 1921

You've spent almost eight hours pouring over and cleaning up all of the books in Douglas Kimball's study, hoping to discover information. Mary (who you realize is Mary Kimball) eventually comes home and the two give you a rather tasty meal of meatloaf while you continue your job. The sun sets in the window and you're still loooking through the study. Thomas pokes his head in now and again to see how everything is going, but you feel like you're barely making any progress. Nothing here hints to what the burglar actually stole or Douglas Kimball's own whereabouts. Even more time passes as moonlight shines through the window. You feel weariness wash over you as you're about to turn in and resume your search in the morning when you notice it, there's a key... Looking around the room, you suddenly realize that one of the masses of books is actually, in fact, a desk, removing the books you find a lock... and put the key inside.

It's not a distinguished book per se, but unlike literally every single other book in his study, this one does not have a title. It's rather small and appears to be... a journal. Realizing this could contain the answers you seek, you head back to your room to pour over its contents.

Arnoldsberg, 11:16 PM, October 1st, 1921

With a brief skim it seems quite clear that Douglas did not lead a very interesting life, and yet, every book that he read seemed to give him immense pleasure. It was as if he was living out a myriad of interesting lives all at the same time, or at least, that's how he describes it in his journal. Eventually, you reach the end, wherein you find the following two pages.
    Spoiler: Journal Entries
    Show

If you would like a transcript...
    Spoiler: Successful Language (English) - Own Language Roll
    Show
    August 25th,
    Dear diary, it has been an incredibly frustrating day. It seems like you remain my constant companion throughout these troubled times. Well, you and my other books of course. I am truly uncertain about what would ever happen if I were to somehow leave them. The people of this town have very little if any imagination. They simply exist and go about their monotonous lives, living in insolence. Not only that, but despite this, they nevertheless demand things of me. Even now I am sure that there is going to be some sort of family gathering in merely a few weeks. Nevertheless, I have had the most intriguing experience. I managed to discover something, a creature, unlike any animal known to my fellow men, moving about the cemetery throughout the night while I read. It seemed to pay me no mind, but I saw it slip down the network of tunnels below the cemetery. I cannot help but be astounded and amazed by such a revelation. I must admit, it is simply possible that I have been dreaming, I was reading Bram Stoker’s Dracula, but I think this would be an excellent source for some inspiration for a book.
    Sincerely,
    Douglas Kimball

August 30th, 1920

Dear diary. I have been thinking about it, and I am now reaching a decision. There is little here right now, and in all honesty, I feel that I should join with my friends below. I am sorry to say goodbye to these entries, but the demands of society are becoming too much. It is time for me to depart. I never got to finish Dracula… Goodbye.

Sincerely,
    Douglas Kimball

Arnoldsberg, 8:37 AM, October 2nd, 1921

You have just finished a most marvelous breakfast of bacon, toast, and eggs, courtesy of Thomas (who appears to actually be a decent chef himself). As while you're eating, he, seeming to have gotten everything under control now, happens to ask. "So, Paul, did, um, you happen to find anything?" You notice he seems to be more at ease now that you're on the case. As they await your answer both husband and wife lean in closer.

6. - Top - End - #36

DrowGuy

Paul reads the journal with interest, Douglas' outrageous claims no longer sounds so farfetched.

When Thomas inquires he considers whether he should tell him, still not fully trusting the lad after his previous reaction. But nothing in Douglas' words suggested he had fallen victim to foul prey, so he nods and shows the journal to the married couple.

"Indeed I did. Tell me, have either of you seen this sort of animal he wrote of, or heard anything unusual coming from the graveyard? It seems likely he went down into the cemetery tunnels."

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Both Thomas and Mary stare at eachother with a mix between fright and confusion. "I did tell you he was getting a bit on in age, Thomas..." She shakes her head, "Going 'below,' seeing strange creatures, discussing tunnels in the cemetery. We really should've made the case to have someone with him."
    Thomas sighs, "I guess, well, I guess you're right... I guess he simply wandered off out of town thinking he was going below or something or other..." He looks down defeatedly. "I should've, um, I should've known he was crazy. It was only a matter of time before something like this happened."
    Mary nods towards you, "Well, thank you, Mister Turner, was it? Thank you for putting my husband's mind at ease. He's been so distraught about this all, and with the break-in -"
    Thomas immediately sits up straight, the color draining from his face, "Wait, the break-in! D-did you, um, did you f-find anything about the, erm, the b-break-in?"

8. - Top - End - #38

DrowGuy

"You mustn't blame yourself, Thomas. No one could have expected this." Paul's not really certain what happened. He's not willing to disregard the possibility that Douglas really did find something underground, but he wants to investigate further before he brings that up as a possibility.

"As for the break in, I'm afraid not. The thief seemed to be looking for something specific, which they took. I highly doubt either of you are in any danger, though I realize this is small comfort until they are apprehended. I'll keep looking and see what I can find." He finishes his meal. Then he plans to check the library on a hunch...

Is Dracula missing?

Also wanted to wish you a Happy Thanksgiving, if you celebrate it.
    Last edited by Dark Seeker; 2019-11-28 at 09:04 PM.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Thomas nods, starting to calm down a bit. Meanwhile, Mary notes, "You know, while my uncle-in-law might have been a little... cuckoo, it is possible that there might be some aspects based in fact."
    Thomas nods along, "My, uh, my statistics professor always said to look at something from all perspectives, right? Maybe that, um, that could be useful? Sorry, again, I don't really know what to do in cases like these." Meanwhile, Mary smiles, glad that her husband seems to be in somewhat better spirits.

Mary departs for her work, Thomas heads upstairs soon after, leaving you alone once more with your last full day of investigations (assuming you don't want to miss the meeting with Mr. Vanderbilt).
    You decide to head into the study once more. Hoping that maybe you might be able to find Dracula. However, with the number of books here you're unsure if you'd be able to find it (or not find it), and even if it is there, it would certainly take quite some time sorting through all of this.
    ----

You may attempt a Library Use roll should you so wish (unless you'd rather head somewhere else), but keep in mind that Library Use rolls, in general, take quite a bit of time (unless one rolls extremely well). Given that you already cleaned up the study, I'll offer you a Bonus Die should you choose to conduct this search.

Also yes, Happy Thanksgiving to you too! Thanks

10. - Top - End - #40

DrowGuy

Paul reconsiders. Right now he suspects Douglas may have returned to retrieve some of his books,and for whatever reason not wanted to meet with any of his family. He seemed rather socially averse, after all. If Dracula was missing that would all but confirm his hypothesis of him being the culprit, but it also might take more time than he had. Especially since his family would more than likely want him to locate Douglas then,and he might not have the time for it.

He decides instead to head into the graveyard and look around there, attempting to confirm if there were in fact tunnels leading underneath or it had just been a flight of fancy on Douglas part. Besides, after being cooped up in a library all day, even Paul wanted to stretch his legs for a bit.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Arnoldsberg, 9:12 AM, Tuesday, October 2nd, 1921

You notice that it the weather is actually quite nice, with clear skies and the sun passing overhead. Nevertheless, you press on towards the graveyard.

When you arrive you notice in the bright light that it is reasonably well-tended, although the vegetation is quite abundant. There are many tall bushes and ancient trees which dot the spaces between the gravestones and tombs. It's quite clear that the cemetary has been here for many years. Not only that, but it's also rather large.

However, as you begin to explore you notice a gardener digging out weeds at the far side of the cemetary. He also notices you poking around and gives you a simple wave of hello before returning to his work, not really going out of his way to make conversation.
    ----

Assuming you're going to spend a decent amount of time just trying to aimlessly find random tunnels, I guess give me an Extreme Spot Hidden roll (I'll note it's completely possible that there is, in fact, nothing there)?

12. - Top - End - #42

DrowGuy

Paul clucks his tongue. This was not going to be easy. He nods back at the gardener and considers his options.

Perhaps it would help if he narrowed down the search area. If there were tunnels, likely they were in an unused part of the cemetery or they would have been discovered by someone earlier. He looks around for any areas with overgrowth or appear to have been neglected, if there are any.

Sherlock Holmes Paul(and his player) are not.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Basically every single area is quite verdant and green, along with being heavily curated. It's quite clear that if there were obvious tunnels on the surface, someone gardening such an area would have noticed these things.
    So, no, I'm afraid there are no spaces with overgrowth or neglect (I mean I guess some gravestones and mausoleums have been neglected and worn away [again, the place is really old], but I don't think that's relevant to you...).

14. - Top - End - #44

DrowGuy

Feeling he has precious few leads, Paul decides to talk with the gardener. He introduces himself as a friend of Thomas.

"Did you know Douglas? I'm trying to find out what happened to him for Thomas. Douglas mentioned something about tunnels under the cemetery, of seeing things wandering around here at night. Would you have any idea what he might have been talking about?

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Please give me a Charm roll to see how friendly and sociable you are.

16. - Top - End - #46

DrowGuy

Spoiler: Charm 71
    Show

(1d100)[29]

Paul flashes what he hopes is an interested smile and asks the gardener his name, how long he's been working here,all sorts of small talk to get him to loosen up.Normally he'd try to be genuinely interested, but he has a deadline and feels it fast approaching.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Well that's a Success!
    ----

"Yeah... yeah I knew Douglas..." He looks around warily. "Jefferson, Jefferson's the name, bud." He props his shovel back into the earth.

"'N no, no, I ain't seen none of those things. But he was always goin' on about stories and all that. Discussing the strangest things out here while reading his books on his spot, talking politics, or anthrowhatamahavit. Nice to make conversation to and all that, but I've been working on here near twenty years for shore (yes), and you come upon a lotta odd jobs in the cemetery, why take my father." He chuckles to himself, but then strokes his chin.

"You know I uh... I don't know about a Thomas, but... wait a minute. You ain't one of those reporters are you, bud? Because if you are, I ain't taking another statement, that's for shore! I've had enough of you lot traipsing all over my cemetery asking all sorts of questions!" He shakes his head and grabs the hilt of his shovel firmly. "You won't get nothing out of me, that's for shore, bud!" He soon turns back to his work and resumes gardening.

Spoiler: Successful Psychology Roll
    Show
    He seems quite eager to return to his work, he clearly seems uncomfortable about this line of questioning.

Spoiler: Hard Success
    Show
    However, this eagerness is also overlayed by some sort of fear of what he's discussing... strange.

18. - Top - End - #48

DrowGuy

Paul has found the important NPC in this adventure, judging by the picture.

"A pleasure to meet you, Mr. Jefferson. What about your father. I hope it does not bring up any bad memories for you, but It seemed to stick with you."

He pushes back his annoyance at the man suddenly growing defense. What was it about people in this town and their suspicions? "I assure you, I'm no reporter; you can go in and ask Thomas himself. I'm just a concerned family friend is all."

Spoiler: Psychology 40
    Show

(1d100)[70]

Would this be a roll I could consider pushing? Still not sure if I'd want to.
    Last edited by Dark Seeker; 2019-11-29 at 01:44 AM.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Unless I specify otherwise, from this point on, you may Push any roll you so choose. Also, TBH, I was confused why they gave this guy a picture as opposed to any of the other NPCs... but whatever.
    ----

He shrugs, "Weird guy, took care of a graveyard, didn't he? 'Nuff said."

(Cut back)

He looks at you bewildered, "Who the heck is this Thomas you keep going on about, bud? You reporter types are all the same, saying whatever you can to get my trust so I keep talkin' about the cemetery for one of your stupid stories. Like I said before, and I'll say it again, there's nothing here! No weird creatures stomping around, nothing!" At this point he storms off, taking his shovel with him as he does.

Spoiler: Successful Spot Hidden Roll
    Show
    You happen to notice as he turns away that his coat opens enough for you to spot a flask on an inside coat pocket.

20. - Top - End - #50

DrowGuy

Paul considers trying to get a further read on Jefferson but lets him go. There seemed no way to convince the man he was not a reporter. He runs a hand through his blonde hair in frustration as his eyes take in his surroundings.

Spoiler: Spot Hidden 40
    Show

(1d100)[79]

If that one fails, I will push this one. (1d100)[13]

Seeing the flask gives him an idea. It's a nasty one, nastier than he'd usually employ, but time was of the essence here. "That's fine, then. I'll just have to report you for drinking. Have a fine day." He turns and begins to leave.
    Last edited by Dark Seeker; 2019-11-29 at 02:01 AM.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Give me an Intimidate roll if that's how you're going to go about this.

22. - Top - End - #52

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Seeker View Post

"That's fine, then. I'll just have to report you for drinking. Have a fine day."
    Or at least, Paul's about to say this when he has an idea that better suits his particular talents. Blackmail had never been his style, and if Jefferson reacted poorly to it... well, the gardener already had a weapon.

So he heads off without saying a word, heading for a small Italian restaurant he had seen on his way to the house. Perhaps they could help him convince Mr. Jefferson to open up.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Arnoldsberg, 9:40 AM, Sunday, October 2nd, 1921

You head into the center of town. Not quite on the same scale as Arkham, but there are still things to be done amongst all of Arnoldsberg's citizens. A paperboy hands you a copy of the Arnoldsberg Advertiser (again for only a couple cents) as you receive an issue concerning how: "Cow Has a Baby Calf!" and other scintillating stories. Nevertheless, you pass the building in question, full of typists and journalists clacking away on their typewriters, and find Romeo's the adjacent aforementioned Italian diner.

24. - Top - End - #54

DrowGuy

Paul had used to like small towns. Now, he wasn't sure.

Entering the restaurant, he decided merely asking for booze would only ensure the owners of the establishment clammed up, so he resigns himself and orders a full meal. He'd ask about some liquor at the end.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

What's wrong with small towns?
    ----

Sure, they're happy to offer you that. While you're waiting for your order, you most likely peruse the paper and discover that the Advertiser reports on literally everything that goes on in this town (it's a multi-page issue, and if their largest story has to do with a cow... well... you get the picture).

26. - Top - End - #56

DrowGuy

Paul looks through the paper for any stories of interest; specifically any that mention either the graveyard or any thefts of books recently.
    Last edited by Dark Seeker; 2019-11-29 at 02:45 AM.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Most of the articles have to do with things that happened on the 1st, you'd guess you'd have to find some sort of previous issue in order to get any information that way. Your order arrives (a nice meat lasagna, with extra garlic bread, plus the most important aspect: a pint of liquor) and you pay a pretty penny for the purchase, but hopefully it will be worth it.

As you're reading the paper...
    Spoiler: Successful Idea (Intelligence) Roll
    Show
    You know... Jefferson kept thinking you were a reporter, that's a bit... weird...

Spoiler: Hard Success
    Show
    He also explicitly mentioned that there were "No weird creatures stomping around," which is... oddly specific. Almost like he'd been asked it before.

28. - Top - End - #58

DrowGuy

Paul has only recently eaten, but it's been awhile since he had Italian food, so he digs in with relish.

Spoiler: INT 60
    Show

(1d100)[60]

After he's done, he takes the pint and hides it in his coat, and heads out. Hopefully his second talk with Jefferson would go better than his first.

Edit: But before he heads back, he heads to the Advertiser's offices and tries to look through the past few editions of the newspaper. If reporters were talking to Jefferson, surely they had to be reporting on something.
    Last edited by Dark Seeker; 2019-11-29 at 03:44 AM.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Arnoldsberg, 10:02 AM, Sunday, October 2nd, 1921

As you head into the Arnoldsberg Advertiser you find yourself immediately overwhelmed by the sheer amount of activity going on in the small building. It seems quite clear that things are rather chaotic in this place. However, as you enter, one of the workers, comes up to you and remarks in one long breath. "Why hello there, I'm the editor of this place: Artie Mallory, and I'm afraid that we're a bit busy at the moment and can't handle questions from anyone, but why don't you come back tomorrow, I'm sure that you'll be able to... ask any questions or do whatever it is you want to do when we're much less busy, thanks, bye!" She then starts to turn away from you in order to resume her work (but said action has not been completed).

30. - Top - End - #60

DrowGuy

Paul reacts quickly, reasoning that this is his only chance.

"I heard the gardener at the graveyard complaining that your reporters kept trying to interview him. I'm new in town, could you tell me what this is all about? I may be able to help you get the story you desire; Mr. Jefferson owes me a favor."