New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202136 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Random Banter D&D 3.5e Campaign IC

Lucas grimly lifts his mace and brings it down on the mishapen wolf hard. "Die, fowl beast!"

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    (1d20+9)[27] (+2 for Divine favor included)

Damage: (1d8+5)[8] (+2 for Divine Favor included)
    Scientific Name: Wombous apocolypticus | Diet: Apocolypse Pie | Cuddly: Yes

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Order of the Stick Projects:
    Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic
    Dad-a-chum? Dum-a-chum? Ded-a-chek? Did-a-chick?
    Extended Signature | My DeviantArt | Majora's Mask Point Race
    (you can't take the sky from me)

2. - Top - End - #302
    Ettin in the Playground

Your mace strikes true, and the unshapely wolf collapses to the ground in a pile of writhing fleshy viscera. After a few seconds of this, it disappears with a dim flash of light.

OOC: That's enough damage (even counting DR) to drop the wolf, who promptly disappears. I'll stop tracking initiative here.
    A few odds and ends.

3. - Top - End - #303
    Titan in the Playground

Tass rushes to Alphonse's side, and with an almost song-like growl, she starts to lick his wounds, cleaning and closing them with her magic.

Spoiler: Spellcasting
    Show
    Casting Cure Light Wounds.

Healing: (1d8+5)[12]
    Clouddreamer Teddy by me, high above the world, far beyond its matters...

Spoiler: Banner by Vrythas
    Show

4. - Top - End - #304
    Colossus in the Playground

Alphonse groggily sits up, petting Tass on the head absentmindedly (due in part to blood loss). He pops open the potion and chugs it. "So...anyone have an idea of what that tooth wolf was? Because that hurt, a lot, and I'd like to be prepared in the future."

OOC: How much do I heal again
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2014-04-19 at 01:08 PM.

5. - Top - End - #305
    Titan in the Playground

Tass waits for Alphonse to finish petting her, then turns her nose in the air, sniffing it a few times while she scans the surroundings.

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    Spot check: (1d20+15)[26]
    Listen check: (1d20+16)[17]

Show

6. - Top - End - #306
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler: Tass
    Show

You don't see or hear anything out of place. The market square is still and quiet.

You smell traces of people, and the stench of the city, but none of it is particularly fresh. The sickly smell of the misshapen wolf is gone, and nothing else particularly catches your attention.

A few odds and ends.

7. - Top - End - #307
    Titan in the Playground

Tass returns to human form again and aderesses the others.

It might've been summoned. It looked like one of my nature allies when it winked out of existence like that. That was no ally of nature, though. I don't know why it was, but it sure didn't belong here.

Show

8. - Top - End - #308
    Troll in the Playground

Béla stares at Tass for a moment. It was not any alley dog. I just wonder who summoned it and why.
    Spoiler: Quote(s)
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Temotei View Post
    You're my favorite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    I'll kill them! I'll kill all of them!
    Quote Originally Posted by FinnLassie View Post
    We're crashing Wombat's wedding! WITH AN ARMY OF WOMBATS AND BUDGIES.

"So whosoever is a hedgehog let him see to it that his wife is a hedgehog also, and so forth."

9. - Top - End - #309

Finally feeling sturdy, Alphonse gets to his feet and brushes himself off "I suppose our little shadow friend didn't take kindly to us killing her gargoyle, so she decided to deal with us this way. I just hope the people in the inn are alright, it WAS pawing at their door like some stray dog."

He'll then walk over to the door to the inn and knock twice.
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2014-04-25 at 09:06 AM.

10. - Top - End - #310
    Ettin in the Playground

The door opens, and you are greeted by Amanda, who quietly exclaims, Why, there you are! Come in, come in!" She ushers you inside, then closes the door. "I was a little worried, what with nice folk like you being out so late. You could get hurt! There are all sorts of horrible, nasty people out at this time of night." Amanda shudders. "Oh, I don't mean to be a bother, but do try to keep it down; Gregory has already gone to bed, he has."
    A few odds and ends.

11. - Top - End - #311

Alphonse gives a somewhat forced laugh "Have no worries Amanda, for it is not men that we fear. Tell me, did you hear anything strange tonight?"

12. - Top - End - #312
    Ettin in the Playground

Amanda sits down in a nearby chair. "No, I hadn't heard a thing until you knocked, aside from a few stray dogs. Why? Did something happen?"
    A few odds and ends.

13. - Top - End - #313

"You could say something along those lines, yes. I for one am excited for a night's warm bed."

14. - Top - End - #314
    Titan in the Playground

Tass throws a gaze at the door, sighs, and turns for the stairs while she builds upon Alphonse's sentiment.

Yes.

Show

15. - Top - End - #315
    Ettin in the Playground

Amanda nods. "Oh, you all sleep well, then."

--

You go up to your rooms and fall asleep, the events of this evening weighing heavily (or perhaps not so heavily) on your minds. The night is uneventful, and you wake well-rested. Downstairs, you are greeted to a hot breakfast, and after eating and drinking your fill, you head out to find Enigma.

The market square is buzzing with activity, and the mid-morning crowd moves around you, almost like a single living thing. You make your way across the square to an old building with a sign that reads "Enigma's Antiques and Curiosity Shoppe" in overly fancy lettering. Inside, the shop is full of weapons and armor, trinkets and jewelry, and piles of books - all covered in a layer of dust. Behind the counter sits a young man counting a small pile of bones. He briefly looks up when you come in, then returns to counting.

"Good morning, you four! Have a rough night?" He chuckles. "I suppose it could have been worse... I hear the hellspawn she brought with her didn't put up much of a fight, heh."

The man sweeps the bones into a small wooden box and shoves it under the counter. He pulls out a small piece of paper and a quill, then looks at you. "Forgive my manners. I am the one called 'enigma'. It is a pleasure to meet you four face-to-face. He makes a few marks on his paper, and mumbles, "You know, you're not as tall as I expected, Bela."

"Now, down to business. You're here for a reason, let's not waste your time."
    Enigma grins. "How can I help you?"
    A few odds and ends.

16. - Top - End - #316

Alphonse gives Enigma a smile, trying his best to be polite regardless of the seriousness of it all "We're here to learn what you know of our little assassin. I also have business of my own, but that can wait. I have some theories on who she could be tied too, but I imagine you'd know better."

17. - Top - End - #317
    Ettin in the Playground

Enigma smirks. "I absolutely love theories, Alphonse. Feel free to share what you suspect! They're not always wrong, you know..."

Enigma pulls out a large tome, and begins to leaf though it. "Now, as to this assassin. She is a witch of some considerable power. Of her abilities, I know that she can call into being eldritch spiders from the bodies of those she kills, and that she can call up bolts of dark energy from the aether. That much I know for sure. As far as I can tell, her ability to step between spaces appears to be short-range. I could guess as to her identity, but there are enough dabblers in black magic around that it would not be worth my time. Nor yours, I might add."

He stops on a page with a few arcane formulae, then continues. "I can tell you where she's been, though. There is a stone in the caves under Fryngaer that allows one to call up certain creatures, if they know the correct rituals... I believe she had called up the hound. Hrm... this book describes it as 'A winged beaste the height of two men, whom mortal steele cannot more than scratch.' Does that sound about right to you?"

"As for Fryngaer, it's an abandoned mine south of Senja. The locals claim it's haunted, and while I personally doubt that, it's certainly possible. As I remember, there was some sort of feud between mining companies at the time it was shut down. No one ever heard from the miners there afterwards, and the locals were too afraid to see what had became of them."

Enigma pulls out a pair of cast-iron scissors and sets them on the counter. "If you want to know anything else, I have to charge." He scratches his chin, then grins. "Well, unless you have anything else to tell me about last night, of course. I'm always willing to trade information."
    A few odds and ends.

18. - Top - End - #318
    Titan in the Playground

Tass puts her hand on the scissors.

What do you have to offer?

Show

19. - Top - End - #319
    Ettin in the Playground

"That would depend on what you want to know." Enigma continues to grin. "Information of all kinds; whatever you care to ask for, and then some. I sell enchanted and cursed items as well, although that isn't my profession."

"I deal in secrets, Tass. I'm not about to list what things I know; that would tell you more than I'm comfortable giving away for free."
    He winks. "I'll take any questions, though, if you've got them. And don't worry - I won't charge you if I don't know enough about something to give you a solid answer."

"Although... I am curious about one thing. Did you, by chance, see John Reyn and his shadow at the feast?"
    A few odds and ends.

20. - Top - End - #320

Alphonse poses, swiping a hand across the blade of his glaive to make a nice "tinging" noise, like the sound of metal flashing across metal. "I wouldn't say it's INaccurate, but her abomination died as any other would." he says, in response to Enigma's question.

"As for payment...well, do you know why the assassin that struck did so? You mention the spiders, and the gargoyle, but I believe you're missing something. I suppose you could say...I'm not asking 'what do you know' but 'what do you not know'?"

Alphonse will also silently urge Tass to take her hand off the scissors on the off chance he charges in more ways then just words.

Also, after a brief moment of thought, Alphonse will add "And yes, actually, I saw John Rayn, and as the man was quite large I saw his shadow his well. Though...I've a feeling that's not what you mean. Perhaps Bela can answer that."
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2014-04-29 at 05:51 PM.

21. - Top - End - #321
    Ettin in the Playground

"Did it, now? Why, did you scratch it to death, or is your steel more than mortal, perhaps? The book suggests silvered weapons, although I somehow doubt that advice... Don't believe everything you read in books. Many a liar has taken up a quill instead of a knife."

Enigma gives you a steady stare, his yellow eyes matching your gaze. "I was not there, and I can only make assumptions based on what I have been told. The more that I know, the more I can tell you, as I can eliminate possibilities. I do not yet know her name, her age, her race, nor any particulars on her equipment or methods of attack, but the more you tell me, the better I can decide who we're dealing with. For example, I know hundreds of mages capable of performing the calling ritual to awaken the hound - clearly, we are not dealing with a hundred assassins! Telling me those things would be worth your while." He resumes leafing through the tome. "Unless you have something else to tell me about her, any more questions on this will cost you a lock of hair."

"So he was there... very well, then. Kind of surprising, really. Reyn and Holtti get along about as well as Holtti and Brynne did, except Reyn is normally on the other side of the table when they negotiate. I have no doubt the two spent the whole evening insulting each other behind their respective backs. Not that anything they've told you is necessarily wrong, mind you."
    A few odds and ends.

22. - Top - End - #322

Alphonse gives a curt bow "I'm sorry, Sir Enigma, but it seems I may of lost myself. I meant to pay you with information you may not of known about the assassination, and I felt that by asking you what knowledge you lacked, I'd be able to compare it to what I know and fill in the details. Her blade was ornate and ceremonial, though I know not of what kind. Presumably of some dark magic, for a bolt of fear struck me in the back. She also spoke Draconic, and from her size she was of a taller race, not a dwarf for instance. She was also dressed in black, though that goes without saying. Her gargoyle could crush men and splinter their spines as if toothpicks...though it was rather declawed by Tass's magic. We have reason to suspect she came to kill the bards that where there for the night, and left quite a nasty mess. The only survivor lost his left hand."

Also, a question. What does Enigma look like?

23. - Top - End - #323
    Ettin in the Playground

"That's more like it." He grabs a few scrolls from a shelf behind him and begins to write on the scrap of paper again. "Ceremonial blade, black magic, serpent's tongue... about how tall? Closer to your height, or Tass' height? Came to kill the bards, eh? Did she take anything from them? Left hand, hrm..."

"Did she, by chance, leave a burnt rose behind?"

Spoiler: Alphonse
    Show
    You have some trouble actually concentrating on looking at him, but Enigma appears to be an average-height young man. He has shortish hair, a small mouth, and a small nose. His clothing is of poor quality and somewhat dirty. He is, in general, rather nondescript. You feel like you could easily overlook him in a crowd.

OOC: You may make a spot check, if you like.
    A few odds and ends.

24. - Top - End - #324

"Unfortunately I do not recall her height, as I was preoccupied with her gargoyle. I do recall seeing pale skin, though. Tass, Bela, do you recall anything else of note? And Lucas, what of the bards? I believe you saw more of that room then us."

Spoiler: Spot chec yo
    Show
    Spot check to see if he's a demon he totally is isn't he: (1d20-1)[15]

25. - Top - End - #325
    Troll in the Playground

Béla looks puzzledly at the floor for a moment and then darts a glance up. Do shadows in this case have anything to do with, say.... ravens?
    Show
    You're my favorite.

"So whosoever is a hedgehog let him see to it that his wife is a hedgehog also, and so forth."

26. - Top - End - #326
    Ettin in the Playground

Enigma continues to add things to the scrap of paper, which is now dangerously close to being completely covered in his tiny, illegible handwriting. "And pale skin too... hrm..."

"Ravens? So he was there. What did you think of Daedrim? He always struck me as rather boring. Keen ears, though. You've got to watch what you say around him..."

"Did the witch say anything to you or to the gargoyle? Anything important?"
    He stops. "Oh, and there was someone here earlier with a medical report about the dead musicians. A bit unusual, if you ask me... aside from the myriad cuts on most of them, their left hands were cut off, jaws completely removed, and hearts taken with what they described as 'some sort of blade.' Does that sound odd to you?"

Spoiler: Alphonse
    Show

You don't notice anything else about the man that strikes you as particularly unusual or noteworthy.
    A few odds and ends.

27. - Top - End - #327
    Troll in the Playground

Béla nods. He was. I rather liked him, although I did not have time to speak with him for very long.
    Show
    You're my favorite.

28. - Top - End - #328
    Titan in the Playground

Tass suddenly breaks out her silence.

I name you Frost-Bird-Priest... Tass makes a sound from memory which may sound a bit like Draconic. ... and I will have penance in blood. The unforgiving will guide my hand.

Tass pauses for a moment before she starts on a new tangent.

The musician she was targetting, Jay, I think, she was after his penance. Sins of the father, each son would pay their father's penance. Three souls for the one denied her.

Tass slowly tones out to silence again.

Show

29. - Top - End - #329
    Ettin in the Playground

"I take it you're the person she was talking to, Tass?" He scratches his chin. "I'd be willing to bet she said something similar to that unlucky musician's father."

"And penance, hrm..." He scribbles a few more things down, then sets down the quill.

"I think I'm going to need to do some research. I have some rather large lists of people I need to read through and compare - this may take a while. In the meantime, since Holtti tells me you plan on going to Senja anyway... can I ask a favor of you four?" Enigma pulls out a small brass gear, around the size of a fingernail, and sets it on the counter. "This is an ancient currency, perhaps a thousand years old or so. The head of the mine at Fryngaer was an avid collector of these - and I'd be willing to bet he had a small fortune of the things stashed away somewhere in the encampment. Should you find such a collection there and bring it back to me, I'd be willing to do you a favor in return..." He grins. "And, of course, any information you dig up related to Holtti's case with this witch will help me in identifying her for you. What say you?"
    A few odds and ends.

30. - Top - End - #330

"That sounds fine to me, Sir Enigma. Though, may I ask what you need them for? I presume you're a collector, given your profession."