New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 23 of 50 FirstFirst ... 13141516171819202122232425262728293031323348 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #661
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: My Little Pony XLVIII: I say Ol' Chap, how about those Equestrians?

Quote Originally Posted by domin8r View Post
    OK, I have not yet read a MLP Fan fic. Can somepony please enlighten me on a good one?
    Hmmm, I wonder if there is a post with a few good, classic fics out there...

Maybe even in easy to find place [mumbles]
    Come one, come all! GitP MLP Steam Group is open!
    Current location of the last MLP Thread OP, too.
    Want to ask me something? Use MAIL or message me on Steam!

Spoiler
    Show

>Click!<
    Amazing Art by Dirtytabs :P
    HW Ava © ETsofu

"Well, the Great and Powerful Trixie can't actually transport you to Equestria... But!
    The Great and Powerful Trixie can beat you over the head until you think that's what happened!"

2. - Top - End - #662
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    Appropos of nothing, I have a request for those who have the wherewithal. Can you stat yourself in (new) World of Darkness core? I'm trying to see if I have a good enough understanding of it to display actual people. If Anypony is up for it, try to use the minimum amount of experience possible (preferably 0, but we've it some exceptional folks here, some with notches in their belt, ad both). And I displaying is an issue, I actually have an open PM box! Which is marvelous. I'll have to make note I how liberating that is and keep it up...

Anyway, please and thank you. Have a good night!
    Oh Boy, how I miss my self stats in old WoD... Regrettably I never got into the nWoD. It's still old Mage or Werewolf if anything WoD comes through...

Strife Warzeal, I'm loving the cast page, I have never been part of a cast page and The Programmer has nice ring to it. Sounds like part of Ocean's eleven ponies or something...

Good night all
    As the size of an explosion increases, the number of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero.

Blackwing: I prefer to think of myself a super-advanced flying stealth dinosaur.

Forum Explorer: Reading or watching Cupcakes is like being shot. We honor your suffering but nobody wants it to happen.

3. - Top - End - #663
    Titan in the Playground

Appropos of nothing, I have a request for those who have the wherewithal. Can you stat yourself in (new) World of Darkness core? I'm trying to see if I have a good enough understanding of it to display actual people. If Anypony is up for it, try to use the minimum amount of experience possible (preferably 0, but we've it some exceptional folks here, some with notches in their belt, ad both). And I displaying is an issue, I actually have an open PM box! Which is marvelous. I'll have to make note I how liberating that is and keep it up...

Sure, why not. Let me just steal Thanqol's convenient little template there. We practically have the same skillset too. Creepy.

Spoiler
    Show
    Anarion

Male American
    “Anything is possible, given enough time”

STATBLOCK

ATTRIBUTES
    Intelligence 4
    Wits 2
    Resolve 2

Strength 1
    Dexterity 3
    Stamina 2

Presence 3
    Manipulation 2
    Composure 2

MENTAL
    Academics 5 (Law +1)
    Computer 1
    Crafts
    Investigation
    Occult 1
    Politics 2
    Medicine
    Science 1

PHYSICAL
    Athletics 1
    Brawl 1
    Drive 2
    Firearms
    Larceny
    Stealth
    Survival
    Weaponry

SOCIAL
    Animal Ken
    Empathy 1
    Expression
    Intimidation
    Persuasion 4 (It's the only logical conclusion +1)
    Socialize 1 (law firm customs +1)
    Streetwise
    Subterfuge 1

MERITS
    Resources 2
    Contacts (Internet) 1
    Common Sense 4

Morality: 8
    VIRTUE: Fortitude
    VICE: Sloth

DERIVED TRAITS
    Willpower 4/4
    Defense 2
    Health 7/7
    Speed 9

Last edited by Anarion; 2012-07-09 at 02:58 AM.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

4. - Top - End - #664
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    I don't know who you are, random Internet pony, but have you ever met Thanqol?

5. - Top - End - #665
    Firbolg in the Playground

And it came to pass that Balmas said unto the world, "It is finished." And he saw that it was good. And then he went to bed.
    Spoiler
    Show

I run a Let's Play channel! Check it out!
    Currently, we're playing through New Vegas as Gabriel de la Cruz, merchant and mercenary extraordinaire!

6. - Top - End - #666
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Sure, why not. Let me just steal Thanqol's convenient little template there. We practically have the same skillset too. Creepy.
    There are 8 dots of difference in our sheets. Uncanny.

I don't know who you are, random Internet pony, but have you ever met Thanqol?
    My vice absolutely is sloth. You have no idea how hard it is to force myself to be productive.

Force myself I do, though. I maintain diligence through hard work, effort, and self mastery. I constantly have to override myself to produce things rather than lurk in the shadows. I am a terrible procrastinator and I am awful at research, dedication and planning. I prefer to improvise, to be naturally good at things. I put things off and then deliberately forget about them. I'm lazy. That's my default attitude. I could get stuck in it so easily.

It's a constant act of will to be who I am. Fortunately, I have that will. I can rule it than having it rule me but it's always there.

EDIT: To back this up with an Emerson quote:

"It was a high counsel that I once heard given to a young person, — "Always do what you are afraid to do." "
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2012-07-09 at 04:55 AM.

7. - Top - End - #667
    Titan in the Playground

Well, I tried, and now I'm super depressed because I seem to have way more dots available than I can find a place to put. I'm so weak and unskilled, I can't even use up all my dots

8. - Top - End - #668
    Firbolg in the Playground

Huh, sure. Hey, look, i'm conforming!

Spoiler
    Show

Male American

STATBLOCK

ATTRIBUTES
    Intelligence 3
    Wits 3
    Resolve 2

Strength 2
    Dexterity 3
    Stamina 2

Presence 1
    Manipulation 2
    Composure 3

MENTAL
    Academics 2
    Computer 2
    Crafts
    Investigation1
    Occult 2
    Politics 2
    Medicine
    Science 1

PHYSICAL
    Athletics
    Brawl
    Drive
    Firearms
    Larceny 2
    Stealth 2
    Survival 1
    Weaponry

SOCIAL
    Animal Ken 4 (Come to me my animal friends!)
    Empathy 1
    Expression
    Intimidation
    Persuasion 2
    Socialize 1
    Streetwise
    Subterfuge 1

MERITS
    Language 1
    Friend 2
    Anonymity 2

Striking Looks 4

Morality: 7
    VIRTUE: Temperance
    VICE: Envy

Quote Originally Posted by Tychris1 View Post
    Pokonic look what you have done! You fool, you`ve doomed us all!
    Quote Originally Posted by Doorhandle View Post
    Oh Pokonic, never change. And never become my D.M.
    To those that are wondering; it's a unicorn leather knife hilt.
    Spoiler: Avatars
    Show

9. - Top - End - #669
    Bugbear in the Playground

OK, I have not yet read a MLP Fan fic. Can somepony please enlighten me on a good one?
    Well, there are EsperDerek's Midnight fics, they are pretty good in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie View Post
    Hmmm, I wonder if there is a post with a few good, classic fics out there...

Maybe even in easy to find place [mumbles]
    I wonder as well...

The OP does have a handful of links to some good fics, as well as links to author pages on Equestria Daily. It is far from a complete list, but it is a pretty good starter at the least.

EDIT:

I just noticed that the OP picture says "gallop" instead of "carry". Adorable!
    Last edited by Kurgan; 2012-07-09 at 04:31 AM.
    Happy Trixie Appreciation Day!

Old Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Stormpony Avatar by Dirtytabs

10. - Top - End - #670

Quote Originally Posted by Deadly View Post
    Well, I tried, and now I'm super depressed because I seem to have way more dots available than I can find a place to put. I'm so weak and unskilled, I can't even use up all my dots
    I don't believe for a moment that's true. It's easy to be way too hard on yourself with these things because it's often quite difficult to make a clear statement on what you're good at.

If you're having trouble, define yourself in opposites - a complete jerk might have no dots in Empathy; what else do you have to separate you from that guy? You know the difference between a pike and a halberd, that could be worth a dot of Weaponry. You can have dots in something without being particularly good at that something.

Also, I come bearing ponythread tumblr submissions:

Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #671
    Banned

I think you don't give yourself enough credit. You've got expression for one thing, and of I'm not incorrect it's high enough to tackle the language barrier. And to write fiction that such discerning tastes as Thanqol enjoy. There is also that, odds are good, you've got stats or skills languishing unused.

My vice absolutely is sloth. You have no idea how hard it is to force myself to be productive.

Force myself I do, though. I maintain diligence through hard work, effort, and self mastery. I constantly have to override myself to produce things rather than lurk in the shadows. I am a terrible procrastinator and I am awful at research, dedication and planning. I prefer to improvise, to be naturally good at things. I put things off and then deliberately forget about them. I'm lazy. That's my default attitude. I could get stuck in it so easily.

It's a constant act of will to be who I am. Fortunately, I have that will. I can rule it than having it rule me but it's always there.
    I figured. But willpower ones from indulgence, and stuff like Operation: Enduring Friendship tells me that hope is far more important to you.

I'm curious. I allow sloth because my alternative is a slow, easily sparked and festering anger. Or so I tell myself... It's been many a long year and I wonder sometimes if that fire is really there or if I've just become lazy. Well, we will I'd out soon I suppose...

12. - Top - End - #672
    Titan in the Playground

I don't believe for a moment that's true. It's easy to be way too hard on yourself with these things because it's often quite difficult to make a clear statement on what you're good at.

If you're having trouble, define yourself in opposites - a complete jerk might have no dots in Empathy; what else do you have to separate you from that guy? You know the difference between a pike and a halberd, that could be worth a dot of Weaponry. You can have dots in something without being particularly good at that something.
    Well, alright, here's what I've got. Haven't used all my dots. Perhaps I could use a couple more on things like you mention, things where I might go "yeah, alright, i can sorta, maybe see it, oh what they hay"

Attributes are hard, because some aspects of each I might have in abundance while other aspects I'm completely hopeless.

Spoiler
    Show
    Deadly

STATBLOCK

ATTRIBUTES
    Intelligence ++++
    Wits +
    Resolve +++

Strength +++
    Dexterity +
    Stamina +++

Presence +
    Manipulation +
    Composure +

MENTAL
    Academics + (math)
    Computer +++
    Crafts
    Investigation
    Occult +
    Politics
    Medicine
    Science ++

PHYSICAL
    Athletics +
    Brawl +
    Drive
    Firearms
    Larceny
    Stealth
    Survival
    Weaponry

SOCIAL
    Animal Ken
    Empathy ++
    Expression ++
    Intimidation
    Persuasion
    Socialize
    Streetwise
    Subterfuge

MERITS
    Danger Sense ++ (although it's probably just mild paranoia)
    Language (English) ++
    Resources +

Morality: 9
    VIRTUE: Either Hope or Prudence
    VICE: Sloth (also Gluttony, but that's really kind of a consequence of Sloth in my case)

DERIVED TRAITS
    What do you think all the above is for? It's called 'derived' for a reason.[/sloth]

13. - Top - End - #673

Well, alright, here's what I've got. Haven't used all my dots. Perhaps I could use a couple more on things like you mention, things where I might go "yeah, alright, i can sorta, maybe see it, oh what they hay"

Attributes are hard, because some aspects of each I might have in abundance while other aspects I'm completely hopeless.
    - You easily have 2 in all your social attributes. You are capable of holding coherent conversations with people on the internet. I know too many people who can't even do that. You also definitely don't have composure 1.
    - One dot of Academics is 'did poorly in high school'. You've easily got 3.
    - Do you know how to google the answer to hard questions? That's a dot or two in Investigation. I specifically don't have that because I'm neurotic about getting other people to look things up for me.
    - Do you know the difference between judicial, executive, and legislative? That's a dot in Politics.
    - Play a lot of FPS games? Dot in firearms.
    - Are you a coward/good at blending in/a face in the crowd? Dot in Stealth.
    - Do you know the trick to open a door with a credit card? Larceny.
    - You have convinced me of things in the past. Two dots in persuasion. You write good horror. Dot in intimidation.
    - Think broadly about what kind of connections you have for merits. You've probably got more Internet connections than me given how healthy your DeviantArt following is.

Even if you lack the confidence to do any of this IRL, that's better represented by a flaw. On the internet you're a convincing and articulate guy.
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2012-07-09 at 05:10 AM.

14. - Top - End - #674
    Banned

Well, composure goes up for one thing. You have the ability to hold together in arguments and that belies one dot.

Do you walk softly? I apparently have a knack for stealth according to my family; I call it not stomping around like a slack kneed mouth breather. Can you drive? Even a little bit of knowledge goes a long way, and I may even por over to bikes and such.

Socialize should probably get a point. You're quite personable when we aren't trammeling your social toesies by being loud and obnoxious and loud.

15. - Top - End - #675
    Titan in the Playground

There is also that, odds are good, you've got stats or skills languishing unused.
    It may indeed be the case that I have a lot of unused potential. I know for sure I could be a lot better at a lot of what I do, if only I could focus on one thing long enough. And I used to be better at a lot of things, like I used to be fairly good at a number of sports, but I've really let myself go in that area. But that shouldn't be reflected here, right? I mean, that's for me to discover or earn with xp, not at character creation.

- You easily have 2 in all your social attributes. You are capable of holding coherent conversations with people on the internet. I know too many people who can't even do that. You also definitely don't have composure 1.
    I think I do. My nerves hang in pieces at the slightest bit of stress, I have to work hard not to freak out just by someone talking to me on the street. And I find it really hard to participate in chats on the Internet for the same reason.

My reasoning was that my mathematical knowledge really falls under Science for the most part. Academics is the, well, academic study of it, which I sadly did for only a brief time at university and haven't really kept up.

I did exceptionally well in high school, tied with a friend for highest score of the school on our finals. But since then I've done exceptionally poorly, to be completely honest.

I've been thinking of taking your "draw something every day, no excuses" and applying it to this particular problem, but then something always distracts me from getting started.

- Do you know how to google the answer to hard questions? That's a dot or two in Investigation. I specifically don't have that because I'm neurotic about getting other people to look things up for me.
    - Do you know the difference between judicial, executive, and legislative? That's a dot in Politics.
    - You have convinced me of things in the past. Two dots in persuasion. You write good horror. Dot in intimidation.
    - Think broadly about what kind of connections you have for merits. You've probably got more Internet connections than me given how healthy your DeviantArt following is.
    Well, that's all in the "sorta, I guess" realm. Not very convincing, really.

Also I'm not sure how much my dA reputation counts for, most of my watchers are probably just ... well, watching for the occasional art and may not even read anything I post in my journal for example.

Even if you lack the confidence to do any of this IRL, that's better represented by a flaw. On the internet you're a convincing and articulate guy.
    Well, composure goes up for one thing. You have the ability to hold together in arguments and that belies one dot.

Do you walk softly? I apparently have a knack for stealth according to my family; I call it not stomping around like a slack kneed mouth breather. Can you drive? Even a little bit of knowledge goes a long way, and I may even por over to bikes and such.

Socialize should probably get a point. You're quite personable when we aren't trammeling your social toesies by being loud and obnoxious and loud.
    I suppose, maybe. I do think there's a major difference between how you act and appear on the internet, and how you do in the real world.

16. - Top - End - #676

I think I do. My nerves hang in pieces at the slightest bit of stress, I have to work hard not to freak out just by someone talking to me on the street. And I find it really hard to participate in chats on the Internet for the same reason.

My reasoning was that my mathematical knowledge really falls under Science for the most part. Academics is the, well, academic study of it, which I sadly did for only a brief time at university and haven't really kept up.

I did exceptionally well in high school, tied with a friend for highest score of the school on our finals. But since then I've done exceptionally poorly, to be completely honest.
    I think you're being really hard on yourself without regards to the WoD system's assumptions. Having one dot in a thing is ridiculously easy to get and essentially means you're not a complete dunderhead in the topic. Having two dots is what any average human off the street would have.

I know some outright incapable people. People who freak out at the idea of posting on a thread on the internet. People who block users and vanish from entire forums if they're mildly offended one time. I don't think you'd rate yourself at the bottom if you knew some of the people I know. I certainly don't rate you anywhere near it.

I've been thinking of taking your "draw something every day, no excuses" and applying it to this particular problem, but then something always distracts me from getting started.
    With that challenge you gotta realise that there's never going to be a better day than today. You can half ass it today, but you'll have done it. That's the most important thing.

Well, that's all in the "sorta, I guess" realm. Not very convincing, really.
    That's why it's only one dot. One dot is 'novice'.

Also I'm not sure how much my dA reputation counts for, most of my watchers are probably just ... well, watching for the occasional art and may not even read anything I post in my journal for example.
    Counts for a dot.

I suppose, maybe. I do think there's a major difference between how you act and appear on the internet, and how you do in the real world.
    Being able to appear and act differently on the internet compared to how you are in reality is the sign of a few dots in Manipulation at least You've certainly fooled me into believing you're a charming and articulate young man.

17. - Top - End - #677
    Spamalot in the Playground

I'm back from my Staycation now. I see PonyThread is as busy as usual. Look at that, already halfway through another thread title.

So, fun story time--
    During my time off I ran my usual D&D campaign and managed to indirectly kill four out of six characters. The party rogue found a hole at the end of a hallway and decided to jump down into it without a second thought. He was followed by the warlock, monk, and cleric down the hole. Fifty feet of feather falling later and the four disintegrate when they reach the Sphere of Annihilation at the bottom.
    I wasn't even putting effort to disguise the hole!

They don't know about the Changlings I have planned for next week.

I let them have one do-over (and only one), but the incident got some of ther players to thinking maybe it's time to switch games before they pull another bone-headed move. This got to the discussion of the GURPS Superhero campaign idea that someone else in the group wishes to run.

The GM of that upcoming game had come to me last night feeling like the game is doomed to failure because I was the only one in the group that was trying to build a serious character--
    We have one player who's hero is basically a browser joke
    Another player who is trying to break the system just because
    The third player is just loading random skillsets with no focus for a theme
    And the other two have no idea what they want to build

For those who don't recall, I'm essentially playing The Great and Powerful Trixie. Albit modified to fit the game system and world the GM wants (He said something about taking the serious parts of the movie Kick Ass as inspiration).
    So yeah, the little blue unicorn in the purple cape is thus far the closest we have to a legitimate hero.

As an aside, one of the other players stated he's now a Brony, but he never watches the cartoon. He only reads the fanfiction stories. Anyone know people like that? I just thought it was unusual.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

18. - Top - End - #678

Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    I'm back from my Staycation now. I see PonyThread is as busy as usual. Look at that, already halfway through another thread title.

So, fun story time--
    During my time off I ran my usual D&D campaign and managed to indirectly kill four out of six characters. The party rogue found a hole at the end of a hallway and decided to jump down into it without a second thought. He was followed by the warlock, monk, and cleric down the hole. Fifty feet of feather falling later and the four disintegrate when they reach the Sphere of Annihilation at the bottom.
    Always a classic

As an aside, one of the other players stated he's now a Brony, but he never watches the cartoon. He only reads the fanfiction stories. Anyone know people like that? I just thought it was unusual.
    *Points at Luka*

19. - Top - End - #679
    Barbarian in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Deadly

STATBLOCK

ATTRIBUTES
    Intelligence ++++
    Wits +
    Resolve +++

Strength +++
    Dexterity +
    Stamina +++

Presence +
    Manipulation +
    Composure +

MENTAL
    Academics + (math)
    Computer +++
    Crafts
    Investigation
    Occult +
    Politics
    Medicine
    Science ++

PHYSICAL
    Athletics +
    Brawl +
    Drive
    Firearms
    Larceny
    Stealth
    Survival
    Weaponry

SOCIAL
    Animal Ken
    Empathy ++
    Expression ++
    Intimidation
    Persuasion
    Socialize
    Streetwise
    Subterfuge

MERITS
    Danger Sense ++ (although it's probably just mild paranoia)
    Language (English) ++
    Resources +

VIRTUE: Either Hope or Prudence
    VICE: Sloth (also Gluttony, but that's really kind of a consequence of Sloth in my case)

DERIVED TRAITS
    What do you think all the above is for? It's called 'derived' for a reason.[/sloth]

.....Wait is this like an IRL stats chart???
    ......OHHHH MAAAAI GAAAAWDNESSS!
    you know, that is simply one of the most AWESOME things I think you've made
    Extended sig
    It's not a Paladin it's a Crusader
    Bloody Screens
    : Bringing realism to Videogames since someone had the idea
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #680

thubby, here is your blood money (and also another Ponythread Tumblr submission)

Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #681
    Ettin in the Playground

They don't know about the Changlings I have planned for next week.
    Mwahahahaha ... excellent!

Quote Originally Posted by Strife Warzeal View Post
    I think I made a beautiful post today using Bleakbane's information, go look at it.
    That is the model I plan on using for any and all information pages on members in the future. On the Member's List page is a link to that bio entry too.

Two newest questions:
    Spoiler
    Show

I wasn't planning on doing another changeling tumblr answer for a bit, but since this one is addressed to him, I guess I'd better take it. Humph. Going to have to doodle a bit to figure out how it'll flow.

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    For the changling question:

"Hey! How would you feel if you got hit with a Tsunami of water? It's the same thing really."
    Hmm a good idea. *steals the heck out of it*

*gets beaten to the punch a billion times*

But yeah, anything six-star on EQD is usually a good start. I definitely recommend Half the Day is Night and It's a Dangerous Business going out your door as two great adventure fics.

Hmm, I have this feeling I'm forgetting something ... a repressed memory of some kind I think ...

Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    I've heard that "Misted Stage" was an interesting fic, although its author dropped off the map and hasn't released another story in over a year. Action/Shipping/Comedy, and a plot that needs to be carefully sussed out.
    ... waiiiit ... it's coming back to me no---- ARUGHAGHGHGHAGAGHAHGHHH!!! DON'T HIT ME WITH THAT BATTLEAXE!!!!

6/5! 6/5! AIEEEEEEEEE!!!

*flees from ponythread before Raz can axe him again*

22. - Top - End - #682

Quote Originally Posted by Pokonic View Post
    Hey, look, i'm conforming!
    What are you conforming to? Looks like turning yourselves into RP characters for a game of some sort?

Quote Originally Posted by Diego Havoc View Post
    As thanks, have a Derpy doll:
    Spoiler
    Show
    D'aww, that's cute and mesmerizing. I could sit here and watch it all day-

You're thinking of Cholestria.
    -Gahhh... O_o`
    Cholestria needs to lay off the cake.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairaven View Post
    Time for wild speculations ponies!
    What is the Crystal Empire?!?! Will it be in Season 3? How will this change FiM?
    Change FiM? Uh... I guess it means new fanfiction content rather than more reiterations of Cupcakes?
    Digo Dragon - Artist

23. - Top - End - #683
    Titan in the Playground

I think you're being really hard on yourself without regards to the WoD system's assumptions. Having one dot in a thing is ridiculously easy to get and essentially means you're not a complete dunderhead in the topic. Having two dots is what any average human off the street would have.

I know some outright incapable people. People who freak out at the idea of posting on a thread on the internet. People who block users and vanish from entire forums if they're mildly offended one time. I don't think you'd rate yourself at the bottom if you knew some of the people I know. I certainly don't rate you anywhere near it.
    I suppose you make a good point. I'm just used to comparing myself to people who are at the very least somewhat competent.

With that challenge you gotta realise that there's never going to be a better day than today. You can half ass it today, but you'll have done it. That's the most important thing.
    Indeed. I just have this annoying tendency to plan and plan and plan and taking forever before doing anything.

Being able to appear and act differently on the internet compared to how you are in reality is the sign of a few dots in Manipulation at least You've certainly fooled me into believing you're a charming and articulate young man.
    When you put it like that

Alright, I might give it another try. Although I sure have spent way too much time on this topic already, haven't I?

Quote Originally Posted by Luka View Post
    .....Wait is this like an IRL stats chart???
    ......OHHHH MAAAAI GAAAAWDNESSS!
    you know, that is simply one of the most AWESOME things I think you've made
    Whaaa? Serious?

You do know sarcasm doesn't work well in the internet, right?

24. - Top - End - #684

Quote Originally Posted by Diego Havoc View Post
    Meet the Ponies in the Playground!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Incidently, who is who?
    Digo Dragon - Artist

25. - Top - End - #685
    Titan in the Playground

A little unrelated to the topic at hand, but I have a question:

The fic I'm writing, currently named Flowers for Twilight, is going to be a long one. This one could easily stretch into the double-digits of chapters. My last story was short enough to release all at once, but this one I'm considering letting loose the chapters as I finish them. Only problem is, I write with a rather loose style; I don't have every story element fully planned and plotted yet. I'm afraid that if I release them now, then I'll get halfway through and have to rewrite or change an earlier chapter.

Other authors, what do you think? For those of you who do release chapters episodically, how do you handle edits?
    I'm developing a game. Let's see what happens! Complex.

26. - Top - End - #686
    Titan in the Playground

Thanks, I have them bookmarked so I'll be reading these very soon.

Anymore recommendations other than Grimdark
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'm trying to beat out my silly curiosity, Grimdark freaks me out
    I'd like to catch-up on the fan-fic "story so far" if you know what I mean.
    For epic, I recommend "It's a dangerous business, going out of your door." (Which I think is my personal favourite.)

For humour, "Sweet Apple Capers" and "Ditzy Doo and the Blustery Day", all of which are on EQD. (Not got the time to provide the links, I'm afraid.)

I will not attempt this, as a) I have no knowledge of WoD, and b) I am entirely certain that a low-power engine that like could not pissibly handle my phenomenal awesomeness.

So, fun story time--
    I don't know whether to snerk or skullpalm...
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2012-07-09 at 07:26 AM.

27. - Top - End - #687
    Titan in the Playground

Alright, take two of my nWoD stats. Still one merit dot left, but the rest should be good

Spoiler
    Show
    Deadly

Male Dane

STATBLOCK

ATTRIBUTES
    Intelligence +++
    Wits ++
    Resolve +++

Strength ++
    Dexterity ++
    Stamina +++

Presence ++
    Manipulation ++
    Composure ++

MENTAL
    Academics +++ (math)
    Computer +++ (programming)
    Crafts
    Investigation +
    Occult +
    Politics +
    Medicine
    Science ++

PHYSICAL
    Athletics ++
    Brawl +
    Drive
    Firearms
    Larceny
    Stealth
    Survival
    Weaponry +

SOCIAL
    Animal Ken
    Empathy ++
    Expression ++ (creative writing)
    Intimidation
    Persuasion ++
    Socialize
    Streetwise
    Subterfuge +

MERITS
    Danger Sense ++
    Language (English) ++
    Resources +
    Contacts (internet) +

VIRTUE: Hope

DERIVED TRAITS

Quote Originally Posted by TheAmishPirate View Post
    A little unrelated to the topic at hand, but I have a question:

The fic I'm writing, currently named Flowers for Twilight, is going to be a long one. This one could easily stretch into the double-digits of chapters. My last story was short enough to release all at once, but this one I'm considering letting loose the chapters as I finish them. Only problem is, I write with a rather loose style; I don't have every story element fully planned and plotted yet. I'm afraid that if I release them now, then I'll get halfway through and have to rewrite or change an earlier chapter.

Other authors, what do you think? For those of you who do release chapters episodically, how do you handle edits?
    I'd say go for it. I know it's easy to worry that you'll end up with something inconsistent, full or plot holes or just plain bad, but on the other hand you can easily get stuck worrying about details the other way and sometimes it's just nice to get a chapter out there for all to see. Also it's really nice to be surprised at where your story takes you.

I don't generally edit my stories once they've been published, beyond fixing spelling, grammar and punctuation, maybe minor things like wording or little details that won't require people re-read it.

I still remember when Past Sins made that major edit. That was annoying. Some other stories I've been following did it too, and I really don't think it's a good idea in most cases. Maybe that's just me, because I'd rather work on new stuff than go back and spend time on old stuff.
    Last edited by Deadly; 2012-07-09 at 07:24 AM.

28. - Top - End - #688
    Titan in the Playground

I'd say go for it. I know it's easy to worry that you'll end up with something inconsistent, full or plot holes or just plain bad, but on the other hand you can easily get stuck worrying about details the other way and sometimes it's just nice to get a chapter out there for all to see. Also it's really nice to be surprised at where your story takes you.
    True, but I would still probably pre-release chapters here for editing. But seeing how I usually only get a few dedicated pre-readers, it might be better just to contact them directly. I think the bigger issue is...

I don't generally edit my stories once they've been published, beyond fixing spelling, grammar and punctuation, maybe minor things like wording or little details that won't require people re-read it.

I still remember when Past Sins made that major edit. That was annoying. Some other stories I've been following did it too, and I really don't think it's a good idea in most cases. Maybe that's just me, because I'd rather work on new stuff than go back and spend time on old stuff.
    ...this right here. I'm deathly afraid I'll get to chapter 9, only to realize that my story would be PERFECT with another scene in chapter 2 to provide proper background. I just don't plan out my stories well enough that I can confidently say this won't happen, and thus, I'm scared.

29. - Top - End - #689
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheAmishPirate View Post
    ...this right here. I'm deathly afraid I'll get to chapter 9, only to realize that my story would be PERFECT with another scene in chapter 2 to provide proper background. I just don't plan out my stories well enough that I can confidently say this won't happen, and thus, I'm scared.
    I think you can often turn that around, actually. I know I often run into situations where I find out down the road that my plans don't work, or that I could have used some background in an earlier chapter, so I have to rethink my story and this is what leads to things taking surprising directions and ending up even better.

Sometimes I think excessive planning can be a bane of good stories, because you get stuck with your first idea, the one you planned, whereas if the plan doesn't pan out you're forced to think hard about the story and come up with more ideas, new ideas, and usually the first idea is not the best one in the first place.

Not saying you won't ever screw up utterly and end up with something that just doesn't work, or could have been done better at the very least (sometimes I would love to redo some of my stories with what I've learned in mind), but at the same time I don't think it always has to be like that.

And finally, even if your story isn't perfect, it's still an experience and then you can (and should!) move on and take what you learned with you to your next story.

30. - Top - End - #690
    Titan in the Playground

I think you can often turn that around, actually. I know I often run into situations where I find out down the road that my plans don't work, or that I could have used some background in an earlier chapter, so I have to rethink my story and this is what leads to things taking surprising directions and ending up even better.

Sometimes I think excessive planning can be a bane of good stories, because you get stuck with your first idea, the one you planned, whereas if the plan doesn't pan out you're forced to think hard about the story and come up with more ideas, new ideas, and usually the first idea is not the best one in the first place.
    This happened with my first story, but I had the luxury of the final chapter being the one that didn't work anymore. Which actually is some comfort. If the story changes, then it's often the later chapters that need tweaking.

Not saying you won't ever screw up utterly and end up with something that just doesn't work, or could have been done better at the very least (sometimes I would love to redo some of my stories with what I've learned in mind), but at the same time I don't think it always has to be like that.

And finally, even if your story isn't perfect, it's still an experience and then you can (and should!) move on and take what you learned with you to your next story.
    Fair enough. I'm a massive perfectionist when it comes to my stories, and sometimes I just need to tell myself the learning experience is the valuable thing here.

Thanks for the advice.