New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 41 of 50 FirstFirst ... 163132333435363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,230 of 1477
  1. - Top - End - #1201
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: My Little Pony 2F: Ponibooru, We Hardly Knew Ye...

Quote Originally Posted by thubby View Post
    *hugs maxtronaut's head*
    *licks*
    there, there. you'll be ready soon, and when you are, you can escape this melancholy ponies melon. then you'll be all mine
    *Eyes Thubby suspiciously. Points LeMane barrel at said Thubby.*

I'm not so sure I should be letting Thubby do this to me. Ponythread, what do you think? Should I shoot him?
    (Un?)official ponythread element of airships.

2. - Top - End - #1202
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Maxtronaut View Post
    *Eyes Thubby suspiciously. Points LeMane barrel at said Thubby.*

I'm not so sure I should be letting Thubby do this to me. Ponythread, what do you think? Should I shoot him?
    No. You don't want to do that. At least, not with that. Use a minigun, at least.

Either way, I call dibs on popcorn.
    I run a Let's Play channel! Check it out!
    Currently, we're playing through New Vegas as Gabriel de la Cruz, merchant and mercenary extraordinaire!

3. - Top - End - #1203
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BlasTech View Post
    If Trixie did make an appearance, probably as a cameo, I'd like it to be clear she hasn't changed a bit since her last appearance ^_^.

After all, she is a performare, and alot of the arrogance she got in trouble with could just be explained as stage ponysona. Maybe some lesson about taking anything you hear on stage with a grain of salt?
    I agree, Trixie is so lovable exactly because she's such a loudmouth. I think I speak for most Trixie fans when I say we love her exactly the way she is. If she came back all meek and repentant, it'd ruin her. If there's one thing I regret most about my Trixie stories, it's not making her more arrogant and dramatic. It's fine to play with the idea of Trixie changing and learning her lesson, I think it can make a great story, but it requires care and time, and I don't think it'd work as a single episode at all or even a two-parter. It works in fanfics, it makes a great story, but it doesn't work in the show, I suspect.

Of course, there's always the chance of the writers totally surprising us, but I think if Trixie returns (and I would love that) she should be even more of a loudmouth if anything, trying to wow everypony into loving her again with something totally dramatic and way over the top. And of course it should come crashing down upon her in the end because it was just going way too far, but that's Trixie, she never learns

I think it looked like this. (Should be a large pic. It's DA so I can't be sure it linked correctly while at work here since that darn site is blocked )

Spoiler
    Show
    That's an awesome piece of art... only, I can't help but notice it's Luna who's caught and in need of help and Celestia who's the big, awesome, kick-flank hero with fire and massive armor (at least I assume that's Celestia in some form). That really ruins it for me.

Why should it be the older sister who's the biggest, best, most powerful? She's already the most beloved one, why can't Luna be the bad-flank but forgotten one?

If they ever do the princesses vs. Discord or NMM in the show, or anything else showing Luna in action, I hope Luna will kick so much flank! Otherwise, what's the point?

This one is better, IMO:
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Eakin View Post
    Hmm... Well if it HAD to go in the "evil force possesses her" route by the end, I'd rather the bad thing (I'm just going to call it NMM) was presented as more of a temptress than something that aggressively took control. Egging her on about how much ponies hated her and her night until she finally agrees to accept it of her own free will, even though she clearly knows better and recognizes that NMM doesn't mean well.

That way she's at least an active participant and thus morally culpable. Your way still casts her as a victim.

But I'd still rather she just snapped on her own.
    I like your idea, and agree with it totally. A tempting influence, but ultimately it was Luna's own choice, that's really powerful and I think can give me some good ideas for my next major fic.

And perhaps once she had made the choice the influence gained more and more power over her with time until she lost total control and the ability to change her mind, to choose to become good again. Because we need some way to explain what the Elements did, and I think giving her the choice to be good is much better than forcing her to be good. I'd love to see what went on in Luna's mind/soul the exact moment when she was hit by the Elements. Seeing her finally able to make the choice and say NO, that'd be so powerful.

Anyway, I'm of two minds... on one hoof I'd love to see what happened with NMM, and if Discord is to return (which I think is very likely from what little we've heard) I'd much prefer it to be a flashback (because I'm not a fan of Discord and think him returning would be utterly boring and ... frustrating). On the other hoof I'm afraid any such episode has so much potential for ruining things, I'd be very nervous about it.

4. - Top - End - #1204
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Maxtronaut View Post
    I think he's trying to be friendly...
    (But you might want to wash your face just in case)

Quote Originally Posted by Deadly View Post
    I agree, Trixie is so lovable exactly because she's such a loudmouth. I think I speak for most Trixie fans when I say we love her exactly the way she is.
    I wouldn't mind a little character development for her, but otherwise the boasting is a fun part of who Trixie is.
    I wonder if the Mare Do Well should have featured Trixie instead of Rainbow Dash?

Quote Originally Posted by Kd7sov View Post
    We shall have to see how it compares, now that I realize it's a distinctly different thing. VI was always my least favorite SNES-era Final Fantasy.
    Anything in particular that set VI low on the chart for you?
    I liked the characters of VI at least. The game had a good sizable cast of people who were for the most part different any interesting.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

5. - Top - End - #1205
    Ettin in the Playground

That's an awesome piece of art... only, I can't help but notice it's Luna who's caught and in need of help and Celestia who's the big, awesome, kick-flank hero with fire and massive armor (at least I assume that's Celestia in some form). That really ruins it for me.

Why should it be the older sister who's the biggest, best, most powerful? She's already the most beloved one, why can't Luna be the bad-flank but forgotten one?

If they ever do the princesses vs. Discord or NMM in the show, or anything else showing Luna in action, I hope Luna will kick so much flank! Otherwise, what's the point?

This one is better, IMO:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Well, Luna learned from her mistakes. Thats why she went and hunted down Chrysalis.
    Spoiler
    Show

Then went for round two against the Changeling King.
    Spoiler
    Show

Then went flying with Dinobot.
    Spoiler
    Show

Because she is Just. That. Badass!!!

6. - Top - End - #1206
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Balmas View Post
    My question is this: when Celestia and Luna used the Elements the first time, they petrified Discord. When Celestia used the elements the second time, they sent Nightmare Moon TO THE MOOOOOOON. The third time they were used, this time by the mane six, they purified Luna.
    What are these things?
    I'm guessing they're whatever you need them to be. In the season 2 finale Celestia asked the girls to go get the elements to defeat the changlings. If the Mane 6 had succeeded in activating the elements, I have no idea how it would have worked.

Well, Luna learned from her mistakes.
    **Images of Luna**
    Seems legit.
    Last edited by DigoDragon; 2012-07-02 at 06:17 AM.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

7. - Top - End - #1207
    Titan in the Playground

Well, Luna learned from her mistakes. Thats why she went and hunted down Chrysalis.
    Spoiler
    Show

Then went for round two against the Changeling King.
    Spoiler
    Show

Then went flying with Dinobot.
    Spoiler
    Show

NOW you're talkin'!

And then she was...
    Spoiler
    Show
    BATMARE!

Also, she's diabolically cute
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #1208
    Troll in the Playground

also
    Spoiler
    Show

she's batman
    a tiny space dedicated to a beloved grandpa now passed. may every lunch be peanut butter-banana sandwiches.
    i has 2/4 an internets.
    old avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

gnome_4ever:

9. - Top - End - #1209

Also,

Spoiler
    Show

Aaaand a'now! Combining cute and bad!
    I run a Let's Play channel! Check it out!
    Currently, we're playing through New Vegas as Gabriel de la Cruz, merchant and mercenary extraordinaire!

10. - Top - End - #1210
    Ettin in the Playground

Not to mention how she enforces curfew at night

Spoiler
    Show

And her other little party surprises

Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #1211

And that my friends is why Luna is best pony.

Any and all arguments against Luna being best pony will be met with Missles, Magic, Lightning, Loud Voices, Mecha, Bat-mare, and just general Bad-assery.

12. - Top - End - #1212
    Titan in the Playground

As I understand from the image title and source, some salient points;
    The image does depict the sisters and Discord, but particularly it depicts luna and "Lightmare Sun". also the artist specifically says that this isn't a depiction of the final battle between good and evil.

I don't think we are looking at Celestia Rescuing Luna, as such. I think this depicts a rage-fueled and out of control Celestia fighting Discord, with Luna more caught in the crossfire than anything. I wouldn't say that Celestia is the hero of the piece as much as she is the other villain.

Or something like that.

13. - Top - End - #1213
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tiki Snakes View Post
    "Lightmare Sun".
    This is the dumbest name for Celestia I have ever heard.

14. - Top - End - #1214
    Troll in the Playground

This one is better, IMO:
    Spoiler
    Show
    it's social convention that has a lot to do with basic biology. the older brother usually is bigger, stronger, and better at most things by nature of just being older. it naturally puts them in a position to be protective, too.
    a tiny space dedicated to a beloved grandpa now passed. may every lunch be peanut butter-banana sandwiches.
    i has 2/4 an internets.
    old avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

gnome_4ever:

15. - Top - End - #1215
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    Yes.

I also don't think that the design really feels like a "Nightmare Moon Mode" style Celestia, to be quite honest and the image works much better to my mind as being Discord, Luna and some other probably infamous creature, but that's not what the Artist had in mind.

16. - Top - End - #1216
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tiki Snakes View Post
    As I understand from the image title and source, some salient points;
    The image does depict the sisters and Discord, but particularly it depicts luna and "Lightmare Sun". also the artist specifically says that this isn't a depiction of the final battle between good and evil.

I don't think we are looking at Celestia Rescuing Luna, as such. I think this depicts a rage-fueled and out of control Celestia fighting Discord, with Luna more caught in the crossfire than anything. I wouldn't say that Celestia is the hero of the piece as much as she is the other villain.

Or something like that.
    Still, I don't think there's any doubt who looks awesome and badflank in this picture, it isn't Luna. In fact I'd say she looks a little "weak", in distress and in need of saving.

The art is great, I just used it as an excuse to rant a little about the greater trend of Luna being somehow less powerful or even weak. I think there's good reason to believe that she's at the very least as powerful as Celestia, and quite possibly more powerful (without the Elements, the Elements obviously tip the balance).

Quote Originally Posted by thubby View Post
    it's social convention that has a lot to do with basic biology. the older brother usually is bigger, stronger, and better at most things by nature of just being older. it naturally puts them in a position to be protective, too.
    Yes, but that doesn't make it right all the time ;) I don't mind convention or clichés, but sometimes they should be broken, and I think Luna is an excellent character for breaking this particular one. And the way she's been portrayed in S2, while not definitive, I can't help but feel that maybe, just maybe the writers see her perhaps a little in the same way.

17. - Top - End - #1217

For what it's worth: we have seen what appears to be Luna doing magic without any kind of hornglow (the batcloak, and possibly also the weather stuff). By contrast, I'm pretty sure Celestia's horn always lights up when she does stuff. Implications of significantly greater power? I'd think so.

Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    Anything in particular that set VI low on the chart for you?
    I liked the characters of VI at least. The game had a good sizable cast of people who were for the most part different any interesting.
    Partly it was the... lack of direction, I suppose you might say. Not so much in terms of the plot (though I'm told the WoR has that, I only ever got to the beginning of the Floating Continent) as the characters themselves. I'd find myself with ten or twelve or whatever characters, and a max party size of four, and occasionally one or two would need to be specific people, but other than that it was "whoever you want". And I didn't know who I wanted.

The magicite was easier, because I could set that up like the jobs in FFV: each character rotates through all of them (or vice versa in this case). But picking a party is not something I felt suited to do.
    Level 4 Bibliophile/Level 3 Bard, working toward the Bibliomancer Prestige Class

Brandon Sanderson recommender... In The Playground!

18. - Top - End - #1218
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kd7sov View Post
    For what it's worth: we have seen what appears to be Luna doing magic without any kind of hornglow (the batcloak, and possibly also the weather stuff). By contrast, I'm pretty sure Celestia's horn always lights up when she does stuff. Implications of significantly greater power? I'd think so.
    I think it's way more telling that Luna apparently has the power to prevent Celestia from raising the sun. But yes, Luna has been shown doing more dramatic displays of magic than Celestia. I'm not convinced that says much about her power, though.
    Last edited by Deadly; 2012-07-02 at 09:18 AM.

19. - Top - End - #1219
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun View Post
    I'm going to be starting a Let's Play of that sometime in the coming week. I'm not 100% sure I can keep up that energy level through 30 gameplay hours in an entertaining manner, but the more I hear about the game the more it makes me look forward to trying.
    I can offer my advice of the game(and original) if you need it. This mod is a lot harder at some points than the original, especially the boss fights.

I've heard some bad ones, I'd say the worst was when the kept the word "nightmare" in it. I'm not sure how I feel about "daymare" but it seems a bit meh. I've seen plenty of people using those. My favorite I've seen was in a fic I read a while ago, it involved Twi and Celestia exploring some ruins and rocks fall Twi nearly dies. So Celestia goes super mode(explained as alicorns have a primal force inside them, that must be kept in control but is stronger physically/magically then the alicorn itself) becoming, I think the name was, Solar Flare.

Luna Stuff
    Luna gets the most awesome art.

An un-muffled version of Gypsy Bard from the recent Friendship is Witchcraft, though I think it's just some audio-magic opposed to someone having an unaltered version. Still good though.
    Last edited by Strife Warzeal; 2012-07-02 at 09:29 AM.
    My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic: The Thread, The Game, The Tumblr.
    Human Crossings Avatar made by Thanqol

20. - Top - End - #1220
    Troll in the Playground

Thanks for the link. I need to wash out the bad taste ME3 left in my mouth, and getting angry at a franchise I have little investment in will probably do the trick.

Yes, I know this isn't a healthy way to deal with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Eakin View Post
    I honestly hope they DON'T show how Luna turned into Nightmare Moon, because it would probably involve her being corrupted or possessed by some malicious entity.

She's so much more interesting if she decided to go bad of her own free will, and Celestia is that much more impressive for forgiving her afterwards.
    I totally, completely, and utterly agree with this. A real fall and redemption is so very, very much more interesting as a character arc than the ol' possession angle. Not only that, but I think it makes sense from an in-universe perspective. All ponies seem very prone to going off the deep end - Lesson Zero, Party of One, Putting Your Hoof Down... I find it easy to believe that Luna had a similar meltdown and, unlike the Mane 6's cases, nopony was able to snap her out of it.

I'm more than slightly tired of possession stories that exempt the guilty party of responsibility for their actions. In the case of temptation-type possession, the guilty are only responsible up to the possession actually happens. Oh sure, they were weak, got listening to untrustwrothy types. Whatever. They're still exempt of any actually nasty stuff they do, unless they enter the contract willingly and with knowledge of the consequences. But then it stops being possession and becomes more of a faustian deal. Saren in ME1 pulls off this latter type of quasi-possession very well.

But I'm much more interested in seeing someone go off, far, far into the deep end by their own agency until they are truly monstruous. And then comes that sudden moment of revelation, that instant of clarity when they realise just how badly they have ****ed up. And it is beautiful. For those who've watched the first season of Wakfu, Nox is possibly my favourite example of this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    Nope. But it's a durn good'un.

Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun View Post
    I'm going to be starting a Let's Play of that sometime in the coming week. I'm not 100% sure I can keep up that energy level through 30 gameplay hours in an entertaining manner, but the more I hear about the game the more it makes me look forward to trying.
    Doooo eeeeeeet.

Also, she's diabolically cute
    Spoiler
    Show
    OhgodmypancreasIthoughtIhadfinallydeveloped... resist... ance... why... *HRK*

I agree, Trixie is so lovable exactly because she's such a loudmouth. I think I speak for most Trixie fans when I say we love her exactly the way she is.
    Yes. Megalomaniac loudmouth Trixie is best Trixie. Secondly, meek repentant Trixie would be cramping Luna's style, and I'll have absolutely none of that. Leave the angsting to trained professionals, people.

It really is.
    Last edited by SlyGuyMcFly; 2012-07-02 at 09:32 AM.
    Truth resists simplicity.

21. - Top - End - #1221

Challenge!

Can Ponies in the Playground create a WORSE name for Lightmare Celestia?

Spoiler
    Show

And totally relevant to Nightmare Moon and Celestia battles!
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #1222

Quote Originally Posted by Strife Warzeal View Post
    I've heard some bad ones, I'd say the worst was when the kept the word "nightmare" in it. I'm not sure how I feel about "daymare" but it seems a bit meh. I've seen plenty of people using those. My favorite I've seen was in a fic I read a while ago, it involved Twi and Celestia exploring some ruins and rocks fall Twi nearly dies. So Celestia goes super mode(explained as alicorns have a primal force inside them, that must be kept in control but is stronger physically/magically then the alicorn itself) becoming, I think the name was, Solar Flare.
    Umbrae Nova has the ring for me.

Quote Originally Posted by SlyGuyMcFly View Post
    Thanks for the link. I need to wash out the bad taste ME3 left in my mouth, and getting angry at a franchise I have little investment in will probably do the trick.

Yes, I know this isn't a healthy way to deal with it.
    Again, for unhealthy anger venting check out that Sonic 06 LP. It's an experience. I make a pilgrimage up it's heights every year as a way of calibrating all my further ranting and criticism.

I totally, completely, and utterly agree with this. A real fall and redemption is so very, very much more interesting as a character arc than the ol' possession angle. Not only that, but I think it makes sense from an in-universe perspective. All ponies seem very prone to going off the deep end - Lesson Zero, Party of One, Putting Your Hoof Down... I find it easy to believe that Luna had a similar meltdown and, unlike the Mane 6's cases, nopony was able to snap her out of it.
    Word.

Yes. Megalomaniac loudmouth Trixie is best Trixie. Secondly, meek repentant Trixie would be cramping Luna's style, and I'll have absolutely none of that. Leave the angsting to trained professionals, people.
    Tell it, brudda
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2012-07-02 at 09:42 AM.

23. - Top - End - #1223
    Titan in the Playground

I saw this picture ...
    Spoiler
    Show

... and its title, and I had an idea. The only time we've seen Luna during the day was at the end of the nightmare moon episode, where she looked smaller and didn't have the magic mane. What if that is actually how she looks during the day? Maybe she loses some of her power during the day, maybe it even waxes and wanes with the moon?

Random thought, don't think I've seen this suggested before as an explanation for the change of looks.

24. - Top - End - #1224

Quote Originally Posted by Strife Warzeal View Post
    I'm not particularly sure it's a better name in principle, but I sort of like Sol Invicta.
    Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    ---------------------
    Current occupation: Considering drawing a better Psionic Flame avatar.
    ---------------------
    Skills: Competent Modder, Proficient Programmer, Accomplished RTD Game Master, Adequate Artist, Dabbling Writer
    ---------------------
    Join Dropbox! It's free! And useful!

25. - Top - End - #1225

I think it wouldn't be thematically appropriate for Luna to be the physically strong protector. That's really more of the publicity-seeking solar flare everywhere omnipresent Celestia. By comparison, Luna's traveling gear includes a cloak made of charmed bats, she controls lightning with her emotion, and can animate stuffed spiders into a swarm.

If the wedding were at night, instead of a giant solar-beam fight, Luna would have likely would have gone with a varied magic assault with weather effects, illusion, and another formal event with a stampede of the garden menagerie into a public space.

Not to say she wouldn't go protective last stand mode for anything, it just wouldn't look white knight.

edit - and I just realized this plays into Celestia -> Twilight is as Luna -> Trixie theory.
    Last edited by MCerberus; 2012-07-02 at 10:13 AM.
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

26. - Top - End - #1226
    Ogre in the Playground

Ahahahahahaha look at the all pages that have happened since my last post. What do you guys find to even talk about over here? @_@

Deadly, yeah, that sounds neat!

27. - Top - End - #1227
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I saw this picture ...
    Spoiler
    Show

... and its title, and I had an idea. The only time we've seen Luna during the day was at the end of the nightmare moon episode, where she looked smaller and didn't have the magic mane. What if that is actually how she looks during the day? Maybe she loses some of her power during the day, maybe it even waxes and wanes with the moon?

Random thought, don't think I've seen this suggested before as an explanation for the change of looks.
    I like it. Head cannoned. Also, have we ever actually seen Celestia at night?

As far as I know only for the summer sun celebration, so it could be the effect is on both of them.
    Last edited by Tvtyrant; 2012-07-02 at 10:23 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

28. - Top - End - #1228

Quote Originally Posted by Tectonic Robot View Post
    Ahahahahahaha look at the all pages that have happened since my last post. What do you guys find to even talk about over here? @_@

Deadly, yeah, that sounds neat!
    Madness infinite.
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

29. - Top - End - #1229
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Mirrsen View Post
    I'm not particularly sure it's a better name in principle, but I sort of like Sol Invicta.
    I always liked the potential in the story behind this picture

Spoiler
    Show

and the name Mourning Star for the alternate evil Celestia that goes with it.

Quote Originally Posted by MCerberus View Post
    I think it wouldn't be thematically appropriate for Luna to be the physically strong protector. That's really more of the publicity-seeking solar flare everywhere omnipresent Celestia. By comparison, Luna's traveling gear includes a cloak made of charmed bats, she controls lightning with her emotion, and can animate stuffed spiders into a swarm.

If the wedding were at night, instead of a giant solar-beam fight, Luna would have likely would have gone with a varied magic assault with weather effects, illusion, and another formal event with a stampede of the garden menagerie into a public space.

Not to say she wouldn't go protective last stand mode for anything, it just wouldn't look white knight.

edit - and I just realized this plays into Celestia -> Twilight is as Luna -> Trixie theory.
    I've always said I think Luna would be much more likely to throw the army at Chrysalis in that situation, backed up with her own magic, than go at her alone like Celestia did. Which is why I also think she'd have won.

I like to think she's more powerful, but that doesn't mean she has to do things the same way, and you're right that big flashy solar flares isn't really her style.

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    I like it. Head cannoned. Also, have we ever actually seen Celestia at night?
    I think we have, at least at dusk and just after.

30. - Top - End - #1230

Mmmm, Do Not Serve These Ponies is delicious to write. Have a half finished draft of chapter 3.

I'd forgotten writing could be this much fun.