1. - Top - End - #1441
    Bugbear in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: Iron Station Savage Masks IC IV

Quote Originally Posted by InTheMachine View Post
    December 5th
    Mall Walking
    Keith
    “Well here,” she says as she motions for Keith to follow her. “We can go find the series together. I think I remember where they are.”

She walks past several shelves and eventually finds the correct books. Hope hands him the first in the series and picks up the fourth one for herself.

She shrugs as Keith asks about school. “I took a few online courses, but I’ve been working full time for the last year or so. I just couldn’t figure out what I wanted to do, and it seemed like a waste of money and time to not have a plan.”
    Keith's smile softens again as he follows Hope around the bookstore. "Sure, lead the way! The adventure awaits." He was enjoying the time with her. Though the back of his mind still wondered if this was entirely alright. Nothing was set in stone with Maeve, he reminded himself.

"They've expanded the selection a bit since the last time I was here." He commented as they walked around. He grinned wide as she handed him the first book. "The way you sold this, I'll need to return next week for the second." He looked back up at her eyes, captivated again. "And the third."

As she gave her response to the school question, he shrugged and grinned. "I get that, and it does feel that way if you don't know what you want to do." He looked at the ground for a moment. "Honestly, I thought I had a full idea but now, I'm not so certain anymore." He rubbed the back of his neck before meeting her eyes again. "Also taking classes online to get an idea. Who knows, maybe inspiration will strike again."

"What do you do for work? Or should I save that question for the eventual book discussion?" His smile was a bit playful.

2. - Top - End - #1442

NinjaGuy

December 5th
    Mall Walking

Iris looks at Louis for half a second too long before taking his phone and putting in her number.

While she’s focused on that, Ryker chances another glance at his ex-girlfriend, examining the extent on the injuries that she’s covered up. His jaw clenches as he attempts to restrain his fury. “Aria,” he starts to say before looking for the right words to say. “We’ll get this figured out.”

Iris meets his gaze and blinks a few times as her eyes get glassy. She nods before returning Louis’ phone.
    "Thanks." Louis says as he tucks his phone back into his jacket pocket.

"Alright, we should probably get going since there's a ton of places we haven't hit yet." He says to the delinquent duo. "Let's catch up later okay? See ya around Aria."

The West Side team lead offers their fan a friendly wave goodbye before disappearing behind the rows of shelves and begins combing the store for his counterpart.

"Hey Keith, you find your book yet or did you get lost in fiction or something?" He calls out from the middle of the paper labyrinth.
    Last edited by PK-Leon; 2024-05-20 at 09:12 PM.

3. - Top - End - #1443
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

December 5th
    Mall Walking
    Louis and Raphael
    Iris nods and gives the three of them a thin smile that doesn’t reach her eyes. “Bye guys.”

Ryker gives her one last look before going to follow Louis. “One of us will call later today or tomorrow,” he promises.

Keith
    Hope laughs lightly as Keith mentions coming back for subsequent books. “You’ll definitely be back. It doesn’t end on a crazy cliffhanger, but it really makes you want to pick up the next book.”

Quote Originally Posted by Keith
    "Honestly, I thought I had a full idea but now, I'm not so certain anymore." He rubbed the back of his neck before meeting her eyes again. "Also taking classes online to get an idea. Who knows, maybe inspiration will strike again."
    “What were you studying?” she asks as she reads the back cover of the fourth book.

"What do you do for work? Or should I save that question for the eventual book discussion?"
    “I’m a bartender,” Hope replies. “I work at the Nightbloom Bar over on Rampart Street most nights, but I occasionally take some shifts at Code Black too.”

Spoiler: Streetwise TN 4
    Show
    Nightbloom is a fairly high end bar that is well known in Iron Station. It sits right on the edge of the Iron River near the center of town on a street that is known for a nightlife scene.

Spoiler: Streetwise TN 8
    Show
    Code Black is one of the larger clubs in the South side of town— rumored to be a Crown hangout.

She looks up as Louis calls out Keith’s name and spots the three boys through a gap in the columns of books. “You know those guys? My friend Aria definitely seemed to know at least one of them.”

Providence, RI
    I’m not in trouble, though I am moving too quickly, Emi assures him. He wants to make sure my mother is settled and ready for any number of visitors before we start really planning something.

Quote Originally Posted by Kate
    You'll have to introduce me to him someday, Kate replied cheekily.
    I don’t think you’d like him very much, Mr. Shaw replies with a hint of bitterness. I prefer being Mr. Shaw anyway, even if it feels like I’m acting sometimes, rather than just being myself.

I'm guessing he has you to thank for that. Dad wouldn't have had enough time for one of his "A Kelley's as good as any man" pep talks.
    They actually had a short aside in the garage before dinner, Mr. Shaw says with a chuckle at her irritation.

Shortly after everyone seems to finish eating, plates begin the float over the trash to be scraped off by a mental spatula, then neatly stack themselves by the sink.
    Last edited by InTheMachine; 2024-05-21 at 06:57 AM.

4. - Top - End - #1444

OldWizardGuy

December 5th
    Providence, RI
    I’m not in trouble, though I am moving too quickly, Emi assures him. He wants to make sure my mother is settled and ready for any number of visitors before we start really planning something.
    John tried not to get nervous at the shift from “we” to “I.” After all, there was no reason to think that Mr. Shaw might be angry and him and not…at…his…belovèd….

Best not to think about it.

Once the ritual is complete, your mother should be whole again without the need for healing, John explained as he retreated into explanations while he pushed his nerves aside, although it is possible it will take her some time to reorient herself. There may not be gaps in her memory but there may be a certain catching up she will need to do mentally.

Or at least attempted to push his nerves aside.

I don’t think you’d like him very much, Mr. Shaw replies with a hint of bitterness. I prefer being Mr. Shaw anyway, even if it feels like I’m acting sometimes, rather than just being myself.
    There was a moment’s pause as Kate’s mental state shifted from forthright to concern and caring.

Then you’ll have to spend more time with us, Mr. Shaw, she offered with a hint of finality lurking beneath her compassion. After a few more dinners, I’m sure it will feel far less like acting.

They actually had a short aside in the garage before dinner, Mr. Shaw says with a chuckle at her irritation.
    Trust dad to always find a way, she replied with mock exasperation.

Shortly after everyone seems to finish eating, plates begin the float over the trash to be scraped off by a mental spatula, then neatly stack themselves by the sink.
    Kate bounced a little in her chair, watching the plates make their way to the kitchen before leaning across the table.

“I don’t think that will ever get old,” she told Jefferey before turning to beam at the Shaws.

5. - Top - End - #1445

AssassinGuy

December 5th
    Mall Walking
    Keith
    Hope laughs lightly as Keith mentions coming back for subsequent books. “You’ll definitely be back. It doesn’t end on a crazy cliffhanger, but it really makes you want to pick up the next book.”

“What were you studying?” she asks as she reads the back cover of the fourth book.

“I’m a bartender,” Hope replies. “I work at the Nightbloom Bar over on Rampart Street most nights, but I occasionally take some shifts at Code Black too.”

Spoiler: Streetwise TN 4
    Show
    Nightbloom is a fairly high end bar that is well known in Iron Station. It sits right on the edge of the Iron River near the center of town on a street that is known for a nightlife scene.

Spoiler: Streetwise TN 8
    Show
    Code Black is one of the larger clubs in the South side of town— rumored to be a Crown hangout.
    Keith can’t help but laugh as well, and gets lost in her smile. “Holdin’ you to that. At least it isn’t a massive cliffhanger. Those endings just….” He shakes his head. “Well, they can be aggravating.”

At the question of what he was studying, his face flushed again with embarrassment. “T-this is mildly ironic, considering earlier but was focusing on literary studies.”

He sighed. “Should have a better way with words, but being mesmerized will do that.” He looks back up at her.

Spoiler: Keith knows a thing!
    Show

Streetwise: 1d4o4 2 1d6o6 4

He whistles a bit. “Nightbloom is high up there. Never been, but that’s at the hub of nightlife if I remember right.” He tilts his head. “Never heard of Code Black though. You enjoy them?”

Quote Originally Posted by PK-Leon View Post
    December 5th
    Mall Walking
    "Hey Keith, you find your book yet or did you get lost in fiction or something?" He calls out from the middle of the paper labyrinth.
    She looks up as Louis calls out Keith’s name and spots the three boys through a gap in the columns of books. “You know those guys? My friend Aria definitely seemed to know at least one of them.”
    Keith jumps a bit at Louis calling him and turns back. “Lost in hypnotic conversation.” He smirks before turning back to Hope.

“Yeah, they’re good people. And generally keep an eye out for people they know too.” He grins. "Aria?" He briefly tilts his head and remembers the conversation with a concussed Ryker. "Small world then, them running into each other here."

“And that’s not where I thought he would interrupt either. So,” He started. “Would you be open to talking again sometime? Or possibly discussing our thoughts on the series over coffee?”
    Last edited by Roguewolf; 2024-05-24 at 11:00 AM.

6. - Top - End - #1446
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

December 5th
    Mall Walking
    Keith
    Hope returns Keith’s smile as he flirts with her. “The Nightbloom is great. I got really lucky getting to start there, honestly.” Her expression falls a little as she continues. “Code Black is… rougher. I only work the upstairs bar though, so it’s not too crazy. The tips are so worth it though. Code Black is where I met Aria, actually.”

"Small world then, them running into each other here."
    A spark of interest enters her eyes. “I’ll have to grill Aria for the deets later.”

“Would you be open to talking again sometime? Or possibly discussing our thoughts on the series over coffee?”
    “Sure,” she replies. “Let me know when you’ve finished it and we can set something up. Maybe lunch instead though? I’m not a huge coffee drinker.”

Providence, RI
    There was a moment’s pause as Kate’s mental state shifted from forthright to concern and caring.

Then you’ll have to spend more time with us, Mr. Shaw, she offered with a hint of finality lurking beneath her compassion. After a few more dinners, I’m sure it will feel far less like acting.
    Kate feels a warmth fill her mind. Hopefully so.

“I don’t think that will ever get old,” she told Jefferey before turning to beam at the Shaws.
    Emi returns Kate’s smile, then her gaze grows curious. “Have you met many metas? I suppose a casual use of powers is probably not a common thing for you to see.”

7. - Top - End - #1447

OldWizardGuy

December 5th
    Providence, RI
    Emi returns Kate’s smile, then her gaze grows curious. “Have you met many metas? I suppose a casual use of powers is probably not a common thing for you to see.”
    “I’m up to a grand total of two,” Kate replied excitedly, “three, if we get to count John. I’m a little unclear on whether he, Debonair, Dreamtime, and Windwalker are considered Metas or if they are considered to have followed a specialized career path. The literature seems unsettled on that point.

“I’ve seen Hope and Anchor from a distance and everyone in Providence has had at least one encounter with Rock Lobster.

“And no one wants to meet The Longshoreman,” Stephen said quietly.

“He does have a darker reputation,” Kate conceded. “But even with Rock Lobster and Hope and Anchor’s public appearances on behalf of the Providential, I can’t say as I have been introduced.”

She looked across the table at her brother. “Come to think of it, we haven’t even seem John use his magic more than three times.”

“The first,” she counted, noting that he crossed his right hand over the top of his left, “was when he showed us he was Dee and the second two were when he has opened doorways to the Spire for us.”

John shifted his left hand into his lap as he reached for his wine. “There hasn’t really been a call for me to do anything out of the ordinary.”

Kate could tell he was hiding something — something other than his hand. The narrowing of his mother’s eyes and the slight cocking of her father’s head hinted that they had picked up on that, too.

Perhaps the Shaws could or would as well — Mr. Shaw certainly would have now that she had thought it. But that, she decided, was okay. It would be up to him to offer any hints, as he saw fit and it wouldn’t be proper to immediately ask for his help.

And she could ask Emi later — by text if not in person.

“Watch out, Boyfriend,” Jefferey mock-warned with half-lidded eyes. “I think you’ve piqued her curiosity.”

“What?” John replied. “You want me to start pulling rabbits out of a hat? That’s more Miss Menagerie’s shtick than mine. Besides — I don’t have a hat like her’s.”

“I’d offer her something, John,” Stephen recommended, recalling how complete a profile Kate had put together about Samantha within 48 hours when he was trying to act cool.

“Okay, okay” John conceded, hoping to distract his inquisitive sister.

“Something brief but familiar,” he added, quickly scribing a spell.

Spoiler: John weaves a spell
    Show
    Illusion (4)
    John takes them on a trip: 1d12o12 4 1d6o6 5

The dining area faded and the light of the day brightened the space.

The memory of Block Island Sound stretched out around them from the patio of a holiday rental. As a memory of a moment, there was an odd mixture of movement and stillness. From behind him, he could hear Stephen practicing his rendition of “I Want to Be Happy” — the signature piece of his upcoming performance at the Ballard Beach Resort later that evening. From the kitchen window came the laughter of his parents, enjoying a glass of wine together during one of those periods where banking and government work were distant concerns as they worked on the 1000 piece puzzle they had bought in a local store. Frozen in time, Kate and Jefferey were laughing with one another and walking towards the center of town to get a cup of coffee and make sure that they had added Jeffery to their table at the Ballard — as if either of his parents would overlook a thing like that.

Out to sea, the storm that had washed over the island still rumbled — flashes of lightning playing within the clouds while others dove into the sea. Beneath them, the storm driven waves pounded against the rocky shore. Seagulls, frozen in time, circled above them, trying to find their way in the gusty winds coming off the Atlantic.

The taste of the air mingled the clean sea with the fading memory of recent rain.

On the nearby table, a copy of Badeker’s city guide to London lay next to Lyrical Ballads.

John turned to Emi, marveling at the way his memory of the wind appeared to play with her hair. Welcome to Block Island, from about a year and a half ago. It’s the kind of memory Wordsworth wrote about in “Tintern Abbey” — the type of thing you hold onto in the future to buttress to you in times of trial and trouble. It was a moment of peace and belonging, when all felt well and right with the world. Mom and Dad had brought us here for the week so we could enjoy some of Stephen’s performances. He was working here for the summer and performing at the Ballard Beach Resort, which you can just see down by the docks.

Jeffrey had come by ferry earlier that day to stay overnight because he needed a little bit of a morale boost. He was planning to come out to his parents before he started at the Rhode Island School of Design and wanted some reassurance from Kate. John smiled. As you already know, he needn’t have worried. They had known for years and were just waiting for him to become comfortable enough with his identity to tell them.

The two of them had just told me they were going to find me this shirt after looking out to sea. He smiled fondly. It would take them until Christmas to find it.

He looked back up at Emi. How could he have known at the time of this memory that she was missing from it?

I’d tell you that I’ve never considered sharing this memory with you but I suspect it is bad policy to lie to a psychic once you have let them past your defenses. Even if they aren’t trying to pry, they are likely to pick up on things like that.

It’s the one I wanted to share with you on the roof of West Side during our first in person date.

John permitted the memory to fade.

It was an almost perfect moment and I wanted to share it with you — now that I have figured out a way of doing so without risking the kind of emotional entanglements you and your father have to be careful about.

Because now that I have, it is perfect.

Because you are part of it and part of my life.

I love you, Emi Shaw.

8. - Top - End - #1448
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Spoiler: Meanwhile: Girl Talk
    Show
    Yuki hesitates outside of the lounge door before she opens the door. She fights the urge to shift into her wolf form as three pairs of eyes— Stella’s, Sidney’s, and Brynn’s— look over the back of the couch to see who had come in behind them.

Stella and Sidney greet her and Brynn gives her a silent nod as Sidney pauses the movie they were watching. Yuki doesn’t recognize the character on screen, a thin man with shoulder length hair wearing a bloody suit and wielding a handgun.

“What’s up?” Sidney asks, turning in her seat to face the shapeshifter. “Did you want to watch with us? We’re about twenty minutes in, but I can give you the highlights so you’re not lost.”

Yuki shakes her head. Her face heats slightly. “I wanted to ask for your advice. If you don’t mind taking a break from the movie.”

Sidney and Stella exchange a glance, then look at Brynn who shrugs.

“Sure Yuki,” Stella says. She scoots down so that there’s room between her and Sidney. “What did you need help with?”

The shapeshifter sits and her blush gets deeper. “It’s about Drake.”

“Ahhhh,” Sidney says, leaning back into the corner of the couch. “Boy troubles. Well, you’ve come to the right place.”

“It’s not… like that,” Yuki says, looking to the side. She misses the quick, questioning glance that Stella shoots Brynn, who nods in response. “I’m worried about him after what happened a few days ago. He said that he didn’t want to talk about it when I asked. I just want to know if there’s anything I can do for him.”

Sidney’s expression softens. “He went through a lot. Not just physically, but emotionally too. And Drake, to me, seems to be a little…” She waffles, twirling one hand as she tries to think of the right word. “Stoic.”

Stella nods in agreement. “He does seem distant emotionally. The only time I’ve seen him upset, or anything really, was when Calvin was pushing his buttons, or something had happened to you.”

“So I wouldn’t worry if he wants to try to work through it himself, especially over the next few days,” Sidney continues. “I’m sure if it’s really bothering him, he’ll talk to Harbinger or Seraph about it. All you need to do is be there for him if he does decide to open up to you about it. I wouldn’t push it though. If it was Ryker going through this, I would. But not Drake.”

“Why would you push Ryker?” Yuki asks. She relaxes a little after seeing that the other girls weren’t laughing at her inexperience, looking over at Sidney.

Sidney smiles. “Because I know he feels better getting his emotions out. He doesn’t do well with bottling everything up.” Her curiosity gets the better of her and she tilts her head slightly as she asks her next question. “How physical are you guys anyway?”

“We spar several times a week,” Yuki replies earnestly.

“Not what I meant,” Sidney says with a good-natured roll of her eyes. “Like, how intimate are you guys?”

The shapeshifter stiffens at the question. Her cheeks heat as she recalls last night, when he’d given her a neck and shoulder massage after she’d finished her homework. While he was normally extremely respectful of the boundaries that she’d established over the last month, last night he’d pushed for just a little more, and she’d let him massage her stiff muscles while she was stripped down to nothing but a thin cami up top. She hadn’t stopped him when strong, capable fingers were replaced with gentle lips on her neck. Or when his hands slid under her top.

She looks around at the other three girls waiting expectantly for her answer. She hesitates before reminding herself that although she’d only known Sidney and Stella for a little over a month, they had both proven themselves to be trustworthy. And while Brynn was a new addition, Sidney seemed to Yuki to be a good judge of character. “We’re… not really,” she says slowly. “I still have trouble with… all of that. We’re so busy with school and AEGIS work. On top of that, I don’t want to do anything wrong.”

“Trust me,” Sidney says with another smile. “You really can’t do anything wrong. Guys are easy. They’ll like basically whatever you do.”

“I can’t say much since Raphael is my first boyfriend,” Stella adds, “but I can confirm that he seems to have enjoyed everything that we’ve tried together so far.”

Yuki looks at the sorceress in surprise. Raphael was Stella’s first boyfriend? An American girl as stunning as Stella was just as inexperienced as she was?

“And,” Sidney continues, “you have the added bonus that you’ve known each other for a while. There isn’t that kinda awkward phase of trying to learn each other’s likes and dislikes while you’re dating.”

Yuki’d gaze drops down to her hands folded in her lap. “I just know that it’s… frustrating for him. Maybe that isn’t the right word, but I know that he wants more than just a few kisses while we’re alone.” She sighs before looking up at the other girls. “I want to give him more, but…” she trails off, going pink again. Everything about Drake was just so intimidating. His size. His demeanor. The amount of experience with previous girlfriends he had. The fact that he was her Team Lead. “I just want to make him happy.”

Not to mention that her father would be furious if he found out that she was dating a foreigner with no marriage contract in place.

Sidney gives her a sympathetic look. “It’s okay to be nervous about it. But based on what I’ve seen and what Ryker’s told me, Drake would never hurt you. It’s been a month. He’s obviously going at your pace. A lot of guys… wouldn't. He cares about you being comfortable with everything. Just being with you makes him happy. Everything else will happen in time.”

“It’s sweet,” Stella says with a dreamy smile. “Raphael is just as careful with me.”

Brynn’s gaze slowly wanders over the other three girls, watching reactions and listening to their words of advice. “Can I add something?” she asks, unsure if the others would even want her input.

“Of course,” Sidney answers emphatically.

The newest West Sider smiles slightly before all eyes turn to her, and she bites down on the sudden surge of embarrassment and fear of having people’s attention, even though she was currently disguised in her ‘human’ form. “My boyfriend always appreciated me initiating stuff with him.”

A pang of melancholy hits soon after as she recalls several fond memories and tender moments with him before everything had happened, before she’d been turned into… whatever she was. Brynn notices Stella’s sympathetic look and nods to let her know that she’s okay. “I’m not saying that you need to like, jump into the deep end or anything, just… make sure you’re the one giving him a kiss every once in a while. It lets him know that you’re interested in him and not just going through the motions.”

Yuki’s face slowly heats again at the thought of being the one to ask Drake for a kiss, or pull him down for one. But, she’d done it before, the night that Calvin had punched Drake and she’d cleaned his wound in her bathroom— the night they’d officially become a couple. She could summon enough courage to do it again. Especially knowing it would make Drake happy.

“Maybe you could try watching a movie with him tonight or when the boys get back,” Brynn continues as her confidence grows a little. “Cuddle for a little bit and then give him a kiss or two. I bet it’ll surprise him and he’d really like it.”

The other two girls give their agreement.

“Okay,” Yuki says, gathering her determination. “Thank you for talking with me.” Her head dips in a quick bow before she smiles at the other girls. “I appreciate you all being so nice about giving me advice. Now, what was this movie that you were watching?”

9. - Top - End - #1449

NinjaGuy

December 5th
    Mall Walking

Keith jumps a bit at Louis calling him and turns back. “Lost in hypnotic conversation.” He smirks before turning back to Hope.
    "That some kind of self help book?" Louis inquires across several rows of shelves.

"I think the rest of us are about done here so we'll meet you and Drake out front whenever you're finished." He says, his voice trailing off toward the front of the bookstore.
    Last edited by PK-Leon; 2024-05-28 at 02:13 PM.

10. - Top - End - #1450

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by PK-Leon View Post
    December 5th
    Mall Walking

"That some kind of self help book?" Louis inquires across several rows of shelves.

"I think the rest of us are about done here so we'll meet you and Drake out front whenever you're finished." He says, his voice trailing off toward the front of the bookstore.
    "Gotcha, and not a self-help book." He facepalmed a bit. "Talking to someone that is enthralling."

December 5th
    Mall Walking
    Keith
    Hope returns Keith’s smile as he flirts with her. “The Nightbloom is great. I got really lucky getting to start there, honestly.” Her expression falls a little as she continues. “Code Black is… rougher. I only work the upstairs bar though, so it’s not too crazy. The tips are so worth it though. Code Black is where I met Aria, actually.”

A spark of interest enters her eyes. “I’ll have to grill Aria for the deets later.”

“Sure,” she replies. “Let me know when you’ve finished it and we can set something up. Maybe lunch instead though? I’m not a huge coffee drinker.”
    He chuckles a bit. “Glad to hear it lives up to its reputation. Now curious what your specialty is.”

As she continues, he offers a comforting smile. “Hopefully it never gets too crazy. I can only imagine what happens. If you ever just need some help, feel free to call okay?”

“And meeting Aria had to be worth it. She seems cool.” At the spark and mention of grilling Aria, Keith snickers. “Guess I need the full story too.”

His eyes widened for a moment hearing that small laugh come out of his mouth. Just like him he thought. He’d only heard it a few times, but it still sent a chill down his spine hearing the same noise when Jason wasn’t even around.

Don and his Uncle’s voices rang out in the back of his mind, reminding him, ‘You’re not your father, Keith.’ He knew it of course, but why would anyone even think to say that?

He took a steadying breath before continuing, and brought out his actual phone.

“Lunch sounds way better. What types of foods do you prefer as well?” His grin returned. “So, how should I contact you? Phone, email, carrier pigeon? Leave it all to the whims of fate that I happen to run into you after finishing Red Rising?” He let out a slightly nervous laugh.

11. - Top - End - #1451
    Troll in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Finishing Touches:

"Tell Laura I said 'hi' and that I'd like to see her soon." Raphael says to Aria. He drifts after Louis, trying to feel out Ryker's emotive state as he glides vaguely after his team lead.

He glances over his shoulder when he thinks he's put enough steps between them and the girl. The vampire turns his gaze on the acidic malcontent.

"You wanna talk about it?" He mutters to him, making a show of stopping and examining a random book on the shelf next to him.

Spoiler: OOC/Mechanics/Whatnot
    Show

The correct set of synapses fire that Raphael is concerned that Ryker is going to screw things up with Syndey by the vehicle of his feelings for his ex, and therefore ruin Stella's day, and moves to intervene.

angling to set up a comfort and support when the conversation happens.

12. - Top - End - #1452
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

December 5th
    Mall Walking
    Keith
    “Now curious what your specialty is.”
    “I guess you’ll have to find out over lunch,” Hope replies with a teasing smile.

“Hopefully it never gets too crazy. I can only imagine what happens. If you ever just need some help, feel free to call okay?”
    “Like I said, upstairs isn’t too bad.” She sighs a little and continues under her breath, “Even if Colt won’t leave me alone.”

She shakes her head a little and pulls her gaze back up to Keith’s. “But yeah, Aria’s cool. Super nice. I met her a few weeks ago and I feel like we’ve really hit it off.”

She catches Keith’s sudden change in mood and his return back to somewhat normal, but doesn’t call attention to it. Hope gives him her number. “Text is better. I work pretty late, so I’m more likely to see it if you text me in the afternoon. As for food, I’m pretty open, but we can figure something out that’s close for both of us later.”

Raphael
    “Sure,” Iris replies with some confusion. As the vampire glides away, he can feel her gaze on his back until he rounds a corner.

Ryker stops next to Raphael. “No,” he answers, still looking at the carpet. A few moments pass and he shifts uncomfortably.

Providence, RI
    Emi grins at John’s joke of pulling a rabbit out a hat. “I don’t think you could pull her outfit off either,” she jokes.

As the memory fills the room, Emi’s smile softens. She takes in the sky and sea, then her dark gaze turns to John. It’s beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by John
    It was an almost perfect moment and I wanted to share it with you — now that I have figured out a way of doing so without risking the kind of emotional entanglements you and your father have to be careful about.

Because now that I have, it is perfect.

Because you are part of it and part of my life.

I love you, Emi Shaw.
    The Shaw Reserve cracks as Emi’s cheeks tinge a pale pink. Her eyes grow glassy as she looks at John, her gaze heavy with adoration. I love you too, John, she whispers.

She takes a moment and excuses herself as she stands and places her napkin on the table, then heads for the downstairs bathroom.

Mr. Shaw is quiet, but his gaze is heavy on John for a moment too long.

13. - Top - End - #1453

OldWizardGuy

December 5th
    Providence, RI
    Emi grins at John’s joke of pulling a rabbit out a hat. “I don’t think you could pull her outfit off either,” she jokes.

As the memory fills the room, Emi’s smile softens. She takes in the sky and sea, then her dark gaze turns to John. It’s beautiful.

The Shaw Reserve cracks as Emi’s cheeks tinge a pale pink. Her eyes grow glassy as she looks at John, her gaze heavy with adoration. I love you too, John, she whispers.

She takes a moment and excuses herself as she stands and places her napkin on the table, then heads for the downstairs bathroom.
    “Well,” Jeffery observed to Kate, “that explains all the looks we got in town that day. We. Were. Fabulous!”

“When aren’t we?” Kate responded with a melodramatic flip of her hair as she barely managed to contain her impulse to bounce with delight.

Joe offered Emi a reassuring smile and a wink as she passed.

Noting the way Alastair was looking at John, he held off on suggesting that their families might consider a holiday there this coming summer. After all, he would probably be reassessing anyone who made Kate respond the way Emi had. And while he might be anxious to aid and support his son, he also knew it was important for any father to have some room to process such a response — even if he expected it to come.

“Are you planning on trying to get a gig at the Ballard again this summer, Stephen?”

“I’m, um, maybe,” Stephen responded, not daring to look towards his mother. The opportunity for the quintet to perform there offered some additional opportunities that, tempting though they were, he remained uncertain about. “The good news is that I still have that piece down.”

Mr. Shaw is quiet, but his gaze is heavy on John for a moment too long.
    John’s elation at Emi response evaporated under Mr. Shaw’s steady gaze.

Oh, Jesus, Mary, and Joseph, he thought with a sinking realization.

You, um… You heard all that, didn’t you? John asked as he mentally reviewed everything he said, hoping he found nothing untoward. I…that is… Ahem. My intentions remain honoooh-boy.

While his training was sufficient to mostly control his facial expression, he couldn’t entirely contain the deer in headlights response at seeing his mother, her full attention focused on the moment, watching Emi walk towards the bathroom. While the smile on her face may not have been the least bit predatory, he couldn’t avoid conjuring the image of an absolutely delighted cat that had caught a much desired canary.

Honorable.

And, he added with a steady certainty, unchanged since when we first discussed the matter.

Spoiler: Mary’s Thoughts
    Show
    Mary noted Jefferey and Kate’s exchange. Their delight at John’s spell was obvious. Both of their eyes had widened when the planes of light appeared beneath John’s hands and both had mentioned that day before — even if John had been reticent about it.

She had underestimated how much it had mattered to him.

But their exchange was in part driven by their perpetual teamwork. Sitting next to him, Jefferey couldn’t miss the look Emi had given John. It was difficult to tell if Kate had caught it as well. Her delight could have been the result of seeing the spell, reliving the memory, seeing Emi look at John, or some combination of the three.

Mary had also noted Stephen’s evasions. She had some guesses as to why he might be hesitating. But the glamor was impressive enough — and familial enough — to make anyone somewhat nostalgic for the moment.

That week had been a delightful time.

But the memory of that delight had been eclipsed by the light in Emi’s eyes as she looked at her firstborn.

Something had passed between them in that moment. As curious as she was to what that might have been, the details were unimportant.

What mattered is that she felt more secure in thinking of Emilia Shaw in terms of her becoming her daughter.

What was the word John so often used with her?

Yes.

Wonderful.