New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: El Goonish Shive X: Please Don't Feel Bad

Anyone want to speculate on what AJ's full name is? I'm going to go with "Ass Jack," myself.

2. - Top - End - #272
    Bugbear in the Playground

MindFlayer

I think Andrew Jackson is the usual value of AJ, at least in the US.

3. - Top - End - #273
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Abraham Joshuah.
    Alexander Justinian.
    Archibald James

It could also just be Aj. and schools not knowing better teachers called him A.J. and it stuck.
    Last edited by Beelzebub1111; 2024-05-02 at 06:00 AM.

4. - Top - End - #274
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DavidSh View Post
    I'm from the US and pretty much every AJ I knew was Alexander James.

5. - Top - End - #275
    Titan in the Playground

What an absolutely useless spell.

Sure, it lets you cheat in sealed tournaments and Friday Night Magic tournies that aren't taken very seriously, but deck lists are public information in any high end, officially sanctioned tournament.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

6. - Top - End - #276
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Functionally useless it may be, but it does appear to be exactly how spells get "assigned" - especially if he is one of Pandora's protegees. It seems to be completely based around his interests and his nature.
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

7. - Top - End - #277
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

I have to assume that it does more than reveal someone's deck of cards, that's probably just what he's most comfortable using it for.

The first thing I thought of was actually that he had Seer eyes....
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

8. - Top - End - #278
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    I have to assume that it does more than reveal someone's deck of cards, that's probably just what he's most comfortable using it for.

The first thing I thought of was actually that he had Seer eyes....
    If it works on any deck of cards, or even better card games in general, it's actually a very good spell (because it lets you cheat at blackjack and/or poker). But if it's just specifically to read the contents of Magical Gatherings decks... wow, that's an incredibly niche spell.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

9. - Top - End - #279

RedKnightGirl

I find it hilarious how the spell presents the relevant data in the form of an anthropomorphized representation instead of like, just showing him the deck. It's such a terrible way of presenting the information that I kind of love it? It seems like AJ intuitively understands what it means, but I'm imagining a character getting a spell like this and having no idea what the actual language is and becoming extremely frustrated.

Like that'd be a great low level D&D spell, being able to scan something and get potentially useful information in an extremely vague abstract representation.

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki Akuma View Post
    If it works on any deck of cards, or even better card games in general, it's actually a very good spell (because it lets you cheat at blackjack and/or poker). But if it's just specifically to read the contents of Magical Gatherings decks... wow, that's an incredibly niche spell.
    I would assume it works on any hand of cards. EGS has some pretty niche spells but nothing that comes close to being that niche.
    Last edited by Errorname; 2024-05-03 at 11:13 AM.

10. - Top - End - #280
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Errorname View Post
    I find it hilarious how the spell presents the relevant data in the form of an anthropomorphized representation instead of like, just showing him the deck. It's such a terrible way of presenting the information that I kind of love it? It seems like AJ intuitively understands what it means, but I'm imagining a character getting a spell like this and having no idea what the actual language is and becoming extremely frustrated.
    Magic gives people spells that represent their interests and personalities. EGS being EGS, it just happens that Literally Everybody has some kind of transformation fetish <,<

11. - Top - End - #281
    Titan in the Playground

Knowing Dan (which I do not), I assume this is Guy's fantasy self.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

12. - Top - End - #282
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DavidSh View Post
    That is so totally not how initials work. (If it was, you'd be Daniel Smith.)

If Dan was a different kind of author, I'd expect AJ to walk away from the tournament a winner as a setup for a nasty comedown later, probably involving his magic being stolen by the uryuom revolutionaries. But he's not so I will be amazed if he hasn't been stopped from doing what he's doing before the end of the third game.

13. - Top - End - #283
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    That is so totally not how initials work. (If it was, you'd be Daniel Smith.)

If Dan was a different kind of author, I'd expect AJ to walk away from the tournament a winner as a setup for a nasty comedown later, probably involving his magic being stolen by the uryuom revolutionaries. But he's not so I will be amazed if he hasn't been stopped from doing what he's doing before the end of the third game.
    I'd say there's a good chance that AJ ends up facing Tedd in the next round, whose deck turns out to be a hard counter to AJ's. Or maybe Tensaided or George, but Tedd as a seer seems most suited to deliver a comeuppance to AJ, since he'll know what AJ is up to.
    Last edited by InvisibleBison; 2024-05-03 at 07:12 PM.
    I made a webcomic, featuring absurdity, terrible art, and alleged morals.

14. - Top - End - #284
    Ogre in the Playground

AJ would probably just fail to glean any information about Tedd from his spell. We already know Tedd has enough magic resistance to just "nope" some types of magical snoopery, like that magic detector his parents tried to use on him as a baby. I'd actually be a little concerned that AJ might hurt himself trying to push his spell too hard, while Tedd might not even notice the magic glancing harmlessly off him.

15. - Top - End - #285
    Titan in the Playground

An alternative theory: it's not going to matter because it'll turn out that even with his spell AJ is just really bad at Magickal Gatherings.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

16. - Top - End - #286
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleBison View Post
    I'd say there's a good chance that AJ ends up facing Tedd in the next round, whose deck turns out to be a hard counter to AJ's. Or maybe Tensaided or George, but Tedd as a seer seems most suited to deliver a comeuppance to AJ, since he'll know what AJ is up to.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maat Mons View Post
    AJ would probably just fail to glean any information about Tedd from his spell. We already know Tedd has enough magic resistance to just "nope" some types of magical snoopery, like that magic detector his parents tried to use on him as a baby. I'd actually be a little concerned that AJ might hurt himself trying to push his spell too hard, while Tedd might not even notice the magic glancing harmlessly off him.
    I suspect that Tedd will be facing him much later - while he can ignore the spell when it is used on him, he is the one person in the playlist who will be able to identify it when it is used on him. On the other hand, him as an early opponent could bring the "he's using magic" message to Justin, at which point the various magic-aware players (at least, the ones Tedd knows) can start working together.

I don't know what will happen if he tries it on Hope, but even newly reset, Hope likely has more magic knowledge that anyone in the room.
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

17. - Top - End - #287
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    An alternative theory: it's not going to matter because it'll turn out that even with his spell AJ is just really bad at Magickal Gatherings.
    Also that, at least as of currently shown, he hasn't gained any knowledge you wouldn't get by just knowing what the card pool is like and asking somebody what deck archetype they're playing or paying attention to like the first three cards they play. It's certainly possible his spell has other applications that are more egregious cheating, such as if it allows him to gain knowledge of his opponent's current hand. At the moment I actually kind of struggle to call this kind of general 'this is what the deck contains' knowledge "cheating".

(That is, assuming the player's decks are locked/they were required to submit a deck list. If they're permitted to sideboard/change cards or even entire decks before games then yeah AJ could get a significant advantage in being able to tailor his deck with specific answer cards to whatever his opponents are running.)

18. - Top - End - #288

Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    (That is, assuming the player's decks are locked/they were required to submit a deck list. If they're permitted to sideboard/change cards or even entire decks before games then yeah AJ could get a significant advantage in being able to tailor his deck with specific answer cards to whatever his opponents are running.)
    Given Justin's Beta Ox of Smelly Calamity warning, I'm pretty sure there's no submitted deck lists or anything like that.

19. - Top - End - #289
    Titan in the Playground

Huh. I was assuming that rather than explicitly being a cheat-at-cards spell, it was a shortcut-around-having-to-actually-understand-people-by-seeing-them-as-reductive-stereotypes spell, and then he was just cold-reading from there. Like the sort of thing you see in Yugioh or Pokemon, where you've got pretty good odds of being able to guess someone's deck/team from their name, appearance, and personality.

But also, yeah – knowing what cards someone else has in their deck is only going to help you so much.
    Last edited by Qwertystop; 2024-05-05 at 11:41 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

20. - Top - End - #290

I would assume it works on any hand of cards. EGS has some pretty niche spells but nothing that comes close to being that niche.
    Yeah, about that...

21. - Top - End - #291
    Titan in the Playground

Or not! Bleh. Guess it makes a point about Pandora, but I'm not sure it's one that needed making.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

22. - Top - End - #292

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Well, that's why he got it, at least.

23. - Top - End - #293
    Titan in the Playground

In my experience 'frustrated at losing card games' and 'really likes anime women' would make this a shockingly common spell.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

24. - Top - End - #294

RedKnightGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Reboot View Post
    I stand by that this spell probably works on poker and other card games and doesn't just work for this one specific card game.

25. - Top - End - #295

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    Or not! Bleh. Guess it makes a point about Pandora, but I'm not sure it's one that needed making.
    If it's making a point about her, I think the more significant point is about Hope's reaction to the memory than about Pandora herself.

26. - Top - End - #296
    Ogre in the Playground

I stand by that this spell probably works on poker and other card games and doesn't just work for this one specific card game.
    "All right, let's fire up the old spell and… yep, the deck is ace through king, four times over."

27. - Top - End - #297

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Maat Mons View Post
    "All right, let's fire up the old spell and… yep, the deck is ace through king, four times over."
    or: "Wait a minute, this deck has eight aces! Are you trying to pull a fast one?"
    "We're playing pinochle."
    "...Oh. Never mind."

28. - Top - End - #298
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm sure the spell also works on hands, not just decks.
    Princess Celestia's Homebrew Corner
    Old classes, new classes, and more!

Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the avatar!

29. - Top - End - #299
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Reboot View Post
    If it's making a point about her, I think the more significant point is about Hope's reaction to the memory than about Pandora herself.
    Indeed. "Pandora was an awful person" is not a point that needs making, as long as it's not a point that needs making to Dan, which it apparently (and much to my relief) is not. "Hope is reacting in an actually sane fashion to this" is worth more emphasis.

30. - Top - End - #300

RedKnightGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    Indeed. "Pandora was an awful person" is not a point that needs making, as long as it's not a point that needs making to Dan, which it apparently (and much to my relief) is not. "Hope is reacting in an actually sane fashion to this" is worth more emphasis.
    I think there is another angle of "Pandora marked some bad people who are going to cause problems". AJ's pretty small time, but he was a guy who wanted magic so he could cheat the rules for petty selfish reasons and Pandora's main objection was that he wasn't going to cause important enough problems. What happens if Pandora (who considered the possibility of Justin killing someone with magic desirable) ran into someone with some higher ambitions for wrongdoing? Really good odds that evil business guy who is about to run into the hybrid trio was marked by her, for example.